Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Coucho Marx posted:

I know I bitched about the bitching about graphics bugs, so I'll concede you have a point. Since the game's pretty good at tracking LOS anyway, maybe there should be a way to highlight visible hexes when you choose a position to move to? Just so you know that that those rocks are, in fact, concealing you from that angle of attack or whatever.

Also I second a combat log, it'd be nice to see what hits where.

Yeah some way, perhaps toggle-able, to indicate hexes you are visible from would effectively solve the issue for me. Like 90% of the time it's going to make no difference, but there will be times where it's hard to see you've exposed your rear armour that you thought was hidden by a hill/building or whatever.

Combat log would be great, loved me some combat log parsing in EVE and it would be great in this as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Psion posted:

Don’t quote me without sourcing it, rude

Haha it was a bit rude because I did indeed take your idea fellow King Crab enthusiast. My apologies.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

GoluboiOgon posted:

i'm not sure that xcom2 is the best choice of an animation bug free game. in the mac version at least, there are still absurd bugs. frequently, my soldiers point their gun at right angles to what they are actually firing at, or jump through the floor. there is also the bug that made mission loading screens last for 10 minutes (took a year to fix), the bug that causes the game to pause for like 10 seconds whenever a sound clip plays (partially fixed), or the intermittant crash to deskop on loading a save introduced in war of the chosen.
Can confirm, I just got done playing vanilla XCOM2 (I think WOTC fixes a lot of this stuff) and it was way jankier than the first game, animation-wise. Weird camera zooms, enemies running into view, then teleporting a few tiles forward, a whole lot of instances where the guy I'm targeting would take damage, then the action text would pop-up, then the actual animation would play.

Also, the fact that you seem to be able to have several mechs moving concurrently looks like it'll speed things up.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Cyrano4747 posted:

If we're going to talk about xcom animation bugs and firing through terrain, in xcom2 on PC I still routinely see dudes stand up, stick the front half of their gun into a rock or whatever, and shoot through that at the thing they're trying to kill.

Plus all the times a reaction shot happens and the thing runs in a path that puts a car or rubble or whatever between target and shooter and it goes straight through.

Computer games are complex and sometimes a certain level of abstraction is necessary. Maybe it would be more realistic to have your 99% chance to hit interrupt get fouled by the light pole the alien ran past, but it would make for some hilariously frustrating gameplay.

Or have them step out of cover through the wall of the building they're next to and then shoot.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Four King Crabs executing a double pincer attack.

1 minute :f5:

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

This has been my Background for a hot minute now

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cirofren posted:

What happens at 8AM Pacific?

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

What happens at 8AM Pacific?

Oh drat lol, timezones got me again.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

The XCOM comparisons are going to happen, but to me it always felt a lot more like the older turn based armor heavy war games that used to be popular. The old Combat Mission games come to mind.

It's funny how X-COM has defined tactics operations for PC gamers despite the absolutely gigantic amount of tactical battle games available for PCs.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Phi230 posted:

I just saw the character customization and it says, "pronoun". That's way too weird. Can you add the option so I can specifically pick male or female? It breaks immersion not to specify sex with absolute clarity. The pronoun is just way too vague and political because it's not logical. Other than this issue, the rest of the game looks great, thanks for hearing me out.

Just to clarify, I don't mind the pronoun option, but just please add a gender/sex tab so I can specifically know that my character has the correct anatomy. It's kind of weird and disturbing not knowing with absolute clarity that my character may not be male or female.

I'm sorry if I don't know how to speak in a way that doesn't offend anyone, I'm old school, sorry!

UPDATE: I want to thank the mods for not deleting my post and banning me. I'm very impressed you let me speak my mind and ideals. It's rare to not be banned by left leaning types. You have my deepest respects for letting me bring this issue up. Thanks.

UPDATE: Well, they locked the post... Leftists simply don't have the capacity for logical discussion. It's sad. They used to not be like this. Vote for Trump in 2020 to get back at them.
Does anyone have a link to this insanity. I want to laugh at this idiot getting chased off of the battletech reddit.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Impermanent posted:

It's funny how X-COM has defined tactics operations for PC gamers despite the absolutely gigantic amount of tactical battle games available for PCs.

Broad appeal. X-Com streamlined and smoothed enough rough edges that it garnered the attention of a lot of people who never touch TBS games.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Incoming missiles sweet King Crab pics.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Skippy McPants posted:

Broad appeal. X-Com streamlined and smoothed enough rough edges that it garnered the attention of a lot of people who never touch TBS games.

This. I loved me some Panzer General, but it's not an easy game to love.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I gotta admit, most mechs from this franchise look... dumb... but the King Crab joins the Atlas as a cool robit.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

It turns out high production values (and a sane price point) actually work in pushing a "niche" genre. Battletech looks like it will continue the trend.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

VanSandman posted:

I gotta admit, most mechs from this franchise look... dumb... but the King Crab joins the Atlas as a cool robit.

My terrible opinion has always been that the Atlas looked dumb as all hell

Crabrex though...

Ed: The MWO Atlas is definitely the best Atlas

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mordja posted:

Can confirm, I just got done playing vanilla XCOM2 (I think WOTC fixes a lot of this stuff) and it was way jankier than the first game, animation-wise. Weird camera zooms, enemies running into view, then teleporting a few tiles forward, a whole lot of instances where the guy I'm targeting would take damage, then the action text would pop-up, then the actual animation would play.

Also, the fact that you seem to be able to have several mechs moving concurrently looks like it'll speed things up.

Yeah, this is mostly due to the random map generation and destructible terrain. Getting that poo poo to work right is hard.

Also an issue the first game didn't have to deal with since every map was hand-crafted. And there were still some issues animation-wise there.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I want this.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Bought this on a whim because I like robots and TBS games. Is the single player campaign heavily story driven like the Shadowrun games or is it more like XCom?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

fadam posted:

Bought this on a whim because I like robots and TBS games. Is the single player campaign heavily story driven like the Shadowrun games or is it more like XCom?

More like XCom. There are story missions but the bulk of the game is taking randomly generated contracts and you can play on indefinitely after the story ends (until you run out of money).

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Squiggle posted:

My terrible opinion has always been that the Atlas looked dumb as all hell

Crabrex though...

The King Crab actually used to look kind of dumb:

The MWO redesign of the King Crab is one of the most blisteringly effective redesigns of a 'Mech in Modern Battletech™. It is absolutely one of the coolest looking 'Mechs in the franchise now.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Looks like they fixed it so that back armor has it's normal cap and can't be the same as the front armor.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

The King Crab actually used to look kind of dumb:

The MWO redesign of the King Crab is one of the most blisteringly effective redesigns of a 'Mech in Modern Battletech™. It is absolutely one of the coolest looking 'Mechs in the franchise now.

What, that looks rad as hell and the new one is kinda ugh.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Mr. Peepers posted:

It turns out high production values (and a sane price point) actually work in pushing a "niche" genre. Battletech looks like it will continue the trend.

It does count for a lot. Like, Mechwarrior Tactics failed for a bunch of reasons, but somewhere on that list was their atrocious art design. Just take a look at their Atlas vs. HBS/MWOs Atlas,

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Axetrain posted:

Haha it was a bit rude because I did indeed take your idea fellow King Crab enthusiast. My apologies.

it's all good, I'm happy to see more people make Correct Lance Choices

I'll post some ingame shots of my merc company logo later today, I think you'll appreciate them :v:

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
A lot of the older mechs look dumb as hell. Mechwarrior 2 made the right call by putting the Timberwolf on the box. First videogame I ever bought.

The King Crab however has always been, and continues to be, King.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
five minutes, nerds

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Skippy McPants posted:

It does count for a lot. Like, Mechwarrior Tactics failed for a bunch of reasons, but somewhere on that list was their atrocious art design. Just take a look at their Atlas vs. HBS/MWOs Atlas,

the MWO art guy misses sometimes, but I'd say those are outweighed by the hits and just as importantly, the consistency in design. It's a lot easier to buy a miss which looks consistent with a lot of winners than it is to have the art style all over the place where some are cool and some are obnoxiously stupid and there's no rhyme or reason to any of it.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Cirofren posted:

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
downloading via gog right now

edit: attempting too, its still sitting at 0mb

edit2: there it goes, hell yeah robots

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

WHERE GAME STEAM

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Its happening!

in 13 minutes when it finishes decrypting

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

16 minutes to decrypt wtf

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I rebooted steam at noon and it's unpacking

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Someone has to actually flip the switch, it isn't instantaneous.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
:f5:

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Zore posted:

Someone has to actually flip the switch, it isn't instantaneous.

Why is this, btw? Why not automate it?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Flipping switches is fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

"Someone" being either a man or machine that can hit the "switch" on the server.