Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Watch
Feb 10, 2014

He won't see the sun again for years to come...

He's posting on Something Awful
Megamarm
I've been running several skirmishes, and I have to say this game is fantastic even if I can't win without stacking 4 Atlases vs 4 Commandos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Unzip and Attack posted:

I browsed all the reviews and less than 10% have anything to do with the gender stuff. Almost all of them mention the pacing, graphical issues, and stability.

Just blaming the negativity on gamergaters is not being objective.

SQUAWK!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I really hope the devs aren't stressing about the Steam reviews right now, even thought I know they are. People are bombing over pronouns, people with tech issues are going to review right away. The people like the game are enjoying it and will review at a much slower pace than people being malicious or flipping out due to day 1 bugs.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Unzip and Attack posted:

I browsed all the reviews and less than 10% have anything to do with the gender stuff. Almost all of them mention the pacing, graphical issues, and stability.

Just blaming the negativity on gamergaters is not being objective.

So, what you are saying is that we shouldn't make fun of them anyway?

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Dekker just took two pilot hits in the very first (non tutorial) mission.

Jesus christ.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Internet Explorer posted:

I really hope the devs aren't stressing about the Steam reviews right now, even thought I know they are. People are bombing over pronouns, people with tech issues are going to review right away. The people like the game are enjoying it and will review at a much slower pace than people being malicious or flipping out due to day 1 bugs.

I left my positive review. If others feel positively about this game, they should too.

Iymarra posted:

Jesus christ.

We really need an :xcom: emote.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Unlucky7 posted:

No, just that writing off valid criticism of the game's release state as being thinly veiled misogyny is not based in reality.

Ridicule the deserving dipshits forever.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Unlucky7 posted:

This is Something Awful, make fun of whoever you want. But it is dishonest to claim that all the bad reviews are because of those dastardly nazis.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Iymarra posted:

Jesus christ.

Don't forget to add some armor to that Spider, kids. It'll save your Dekker.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Drone posted:

I left my positive review. If others feel positively about this game, they should too.

I'm not going to pretend to "review" a game after 3 hours of game play just to counteract other BS reviews.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Iymarra posted:

Jesus christ.

In beagle's stream an armless mech melee attacked, critical hit the head and instantly killed his self-insert character in a heavy mech

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
You know, getting unspecified errors when trying to connect to my Paradox-account I can take. But I really wish I wouldn't need to re-type email and password again and again! :argh:

Anyway, I guess this doesn't bode well for multiplayer with goons. At least the campaign works!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Libluini posted:

Anyway, I guess this doesn't bode well for multiplayer with goons. At least the campaign works!

Goons ruin everything.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Oh gently caress it

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Iymarra posted:

Jesus christ.

Yeah, my core pilot took 2 pilot hits because I was an idiot. And fuuuuuck 50 days.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Raged posted:

Getting constant "user already have a profile for battletech" error during the initial customization and can't play the game. Won't even let me skip it

I'm glad i'm not the only one. How do I fix this?

that and 'we're sorry, there was an unspecified error in establishing your connection to comstar, please try again later'

When I get' user already have a profile for battletech' i'm 99% sure its checking the one i just registered but not giving it to me.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Do you have to make an account to play?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

sebmojo posted:

Do you have to make an account to play?

No.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

login servers for multiplayer suffering from china syndrome honestly is the least worrying part of this launch, that’s pretty typical of any videogame released in the past 10 years

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

Libluini posted:

At least the campaign works!

I had 3 crashes trying to get through the first mission so lets just say results may very. The game definitely feels like it could have used a couple extra weeks for some polishing.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
It is however lame that the only way to get out of the failed paradox sign in is to restart the game,
I just wanna play :(

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Probably has been brought up before, but there is aot of lag right after every attack before it calculates, right? Game is good but that kind of kills some of the effect.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

How do I actually start a game? I click on new campaign, it plays a movie, and I get put to this screen.
https://imgur.com/a/6dqDYx1

I must be stupid or something, because I can't figure out how to progress. Clicking on next doesn't seem to do anything.

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

Filthy Monkey posted:

How do I actually start a game? I click on new campaign, it plays a movie, and I get put to this screen.
https://imgur.com/a/6dqDYx1

I must be stupid or something, because I can't figure out how to progress. Clicking on next doesn't seem to do anything.

Try running it in 1920x1080, my guess is that the resolution is messing up the UI. You're supposed to be able to press next in the bottom right.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

posting from my phone so i can’t be sure but from the ratio of that screenshot it seems like you might be using an ultrawide resolution, which the game doesn’t support. someone further up the thread posted how to get the ui to scale so it’s functional

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

In beagle's stream an armless mech melee attacked, critical hit the head and instantly killed his self-insert character in a heavy mech

What happens after that anyway? They just show up in plot conversations from then on?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Started a "defend the base" contract and the "Ensure all buildings survive" secondary objective failed before the game even started :shepface:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

JoeCL posted:

I had 3 crashes trying to get through the first mission so lets just say results may very. The game definitely feels like it could have used a couple extra weeks for some polishing.

Well, now I feel bad for being lucky! Apart from the weird connection error to my Paradox-account, everything else went well so far (being now in the 2nd mission without trouble).

I'm kind of surprised, I can even alt-tab out to post on Something Awful! (When I tried doing this with Stellaris, I learned to never do this when the game is loading, as it caused an instant crash Battletech seems to be a bit more robustly programmed. :v: )

Crooow!
Dec 7, 2005

Abortions for some, tiny American flags for others!
The only real problem I've had with it is was the user already exists thing. I closed the games and then reopened it and i stayed logged out and it was fine. Only thing I noticed was at one point a destroyed unit went down unusually, like some frames were missing from the death animation. Other than that, I've had no problems. The again, I am not the most observant person.

Also, it's really goddamn satisfying to stomp a Shadow Hawk to death.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

RBA Starblade posted:

What happens after that anyway? They just show up in plot conversations from then on?

No idea, I only saw the highlight someone shared earlier

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
What am I supposed to be using the light mechs for? Particularly Dekker's starter.

Like hey, Behemoth's Mech makes sense. Big guns and punching.

Starter Mech makes sense. Turn it into a weapons platform.

Glitch Mech makes sense. GLORIOUS ELECTRIC GUN and multi hit. Seems to straddle the line of tonnage for weapon/breakpoints and armor.

Then you have Dekker's piece of poo poo that breaks down if you look at it, and only has a single breakpoint on it. Is he bait? What's the deal here.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Lights you can hide, reserve until all the ememies move, then run them in to snipe and run them back out next turn before the enemy can react. I haven't done it yet, but that's the theory.

First mission fine, no crashes. Loads are longer than I'd like but I haven't moved it to my SSD yet. Very first engagement the first royal guard guy ran up and punched mech dad right in the center torso, instantly stripping all of his armor. Mech was pristine but for a giant target in the middle. Made for a far more hair-raising tutorial than it should have been. :lol:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Guys I know making fun of idiots on the internet is the favored goon pastime but can we stop talking about the reviews? They're idiots and they should gently caress off and get off the internet, but I'm sure there are people, maybe even devs, who want to see people having fun with the game rather than people endlessly mocking the brain-damaged chucklefucks who think they are actually right.

Ignore the shitheads, they'll hear jingling keys and run upstairs to whine to their moms, but let's stop giving their bigotry attention.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Welp game borked on the start screen, can't go forward 'user already have a profile for battletech' can't go back 'enter a callsign'. All i can do is force close the game.

If i were to review the game now it would not be positive.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
I just spent €60 on a logitech mouse and keyboard combo so I could play this on a comfy couch in the living room with my steam link. It's amazing, but the text is so tiny! Can anyone advise on what resolution I should be using for a 32"?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I just hit skip when it asked me to create a profile, I'll do it once the servers aren't pooping themselves.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
So a few interesting modding notes so far:

- It is indeed possible to change portraits for pilots who don't have associated render portraits and fill your game with AMINE:

However, this doesn't seem to work on your starter pilots, who have rendered portraits ala the hero; it seems 3D portraits override the Icon portrait setting in the JSON for a pilot. This is a bit frustrating as I kind of wanted to replace several of the starters (and related JSONs) with custom folks, but right now the game seems to get extremely unhappy if you try to disable loading 3D portraits for your starting crew. (Either that, or I just haven't found the right commands yet.) Also, your Commander is seemingly not stored as a JSON and I haven't been able to test portrait replacement for them at all yet.

- Relatedly, it seems like some files, at least, are loaded in permanently to a career save on hitting New Game. For example, the SimGameConstants file, which controls a lot of starting conditions and whatnot, is loaded on start... and then, if you go back and change it and load a save, the values from when you first started the game will still be in force. So it seems that file, at least, is snapshotted and copied to your save file on every new campaign.

People are just getting started on digging, and there's a LOT of JSONs to experiment with. Though if someone figures out how to disable 3D portraits for the starting crew or how to prioritize Icon portraits over 3D, that'd be swell... and if someone knows where the Commander's data is stored, I wouldn't say no!

Caros
May 14, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Just in Medbay for ages.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Rookersh posted:

Then you have Dekker's piece of poo poo that breaks down if you look at it, and only has a single breakpoint on it. Is he bait? What's the deal here.

Sensors and mobility.

Lights have better sensor range than larger machines, and Dekker's small and jumpy so you can get him somewhere relatively safe. Going up the tactics tree gets you access to the Sensor Lock ability which is his mainstay for usefulness early-on, use sensor lock to make enemy light Mechs easier to hit (after they've moved) or to reveal units you can't see so you can identify / attack them with long range or indirect-fire weapons like LRMs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SpaceDrake posted:

So a few interesting modding notes so far:

- It is indeed possible to change portraits for pilots who don't have associated render portraits and fill your game with AMINE:

However, this doesn't seem to work on your starter pilots, who have rendered portraits ala the hero; it seems 3D portraits override the Icon portrait setting in the JSON for a pilot. This is a bit frustrating as I kind of wanted to replace several of the starters (and related JSONs) with custom folks, but right now the game seems to get extremely unhappy if you try to disable loading 3D portraits for your starting crew. (Either that, or I just haven't found the right commands yet.) Also, your Commander is seemingly not stored as a JSON and I haven't been able to test portrait replacement for them at all yet.

- Relatedly, it seems like some files, at least, are loaded in permanently to a career save on hitting New Game. For example, the SimGameConstants file, which controls a lot of starting conditions and whatnot, is loaded on start... and then, if you go back and change it and load a save, the values from when you first started the game will still be in force. So it seems that file, at least, is snapshotted and copied to your save file on every new campaign.

People are just getting started on digging, and there's a LOT of JSONs to experiment with. Though if someone figures out how to disable 3D portraits for the starting crew or how to prioritize Icon portraits over 3D, that'd be swell... and if someone knows where the Commander's data is stored, I wouldn't say no!

Having a pilot from the Draconis Combine is all the anime I'll ever need in BattleTech