Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Aside from headcaps and sweeping the legs, how do I want to be downing mechs to obtain the most salvage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So, first merc mission, Glitch went full meme on me. Her first shot in the game, in lieu of any better targets, was at the enemy Spider. Which was at 4 evasion pips. She promptly blows its' head clean off with the PPC. :stare:

canepazzo posted:

How do I repair mechs in storage? I salvaged a Locust, it's in storage and unfieldable. I have no options to send it to a bay, or repair, or refit. Do I have to collect the equipment for a standard loadout for that mech in order to make it fieldable? Where do I check the standard loadout?

E: I just noticed I have 1/3 parts thing. I need to get 2 more salvaged Locusts to make one?

You need three parts to make one, yes. Killing a Mech through center torso destruction creates one parts, killing it through destroying both legs creates two and killing it through pilot death creates three. Pilot kills means either blowing off the head or causing enough pilot hits. (Pilot hits are caused by headshots, causing the Mech to fall over, causing ammo detonations or blowing off side torsos.)

RBA Starblade posted:

What happens after that anyway? They just show up in plot conversations from then on?

Your story character is immortal. They just get thrown into the Medbay for a good long time.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

If there is one thing I absolutely would change, it is the ability to skip the tutorial and starter missions when you are learning the ropes. Mostly since I already knew most of this from playing Multiplayer.

Having fun so far though.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What's a good starting set for your player dude? I went 2 tactics 1 gunnery because periphery exile sounded reasonable for a silent protagonist.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

evilmiera posted:

If there is one thing I absolutely would change, it is the ability to skip the tutorial and starter missions when you are learning the ropes. Mostly since I already knew most of this from playing Multiplayer.

Having fun so far though.

Agree, mostly cause you don't get to keep any salvage and the introductory part is long enough to want to skip it on second play-through or if you've seen it 15 times in the last week by obsessively watching every stream ever.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What's a good starting set for your player dude? I went 2 tactics 1 gunnery because periphery exile sounded reasonable for a silent protagonist.
The low stats are cheap enough that it doesn't matter except "Pick what flavor text you think is cooler". Which is a nice change of pace from "Oh you didn't pick exactly XYZ at chargen? You're hosed" design.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Bah, with the connection issues and stuff apparently my 'multiplayer' callsign was set to something I didn't want.

Apparently it can't be changed, which is a shame.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I was real anti harebrained studios a couple years ago because I enjoy tabletop battletech a lot, but this game is pretty cool so far.

Although playing megamek with tons of people, each controlling a mech, in teams is still fun as hell.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Really enjoying the game so far, which I pretty much knew I would from watching the cknoor and quill18 videos of the game. No tech issues other than moderately long loading times, and the game freezing up for a short time while loading, which makes windows want to close it. Which I wonder if people are taking that to mean it is crashing and letting windows close it?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Anyone else having issues redeeming their Shadowhawk/Atlas skin in-game? Mine just hangs at "Please wait, checking code" forever.

edit: Nevermind, it worked eventually.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SpaceDrake posted:

So a few interesting modding notes so far:

- It is indeed possible to change portraits for pilots who don't have associated render portraits and fill your game with AMINE:

However, this doesn't seem to work on your starter pilots, who have rendered portraits ala the hero; it seems 3D portraits override the Icon portrait setting in the JSON for a pilot. This is a bit frustrating as I kind of wanted to replace several of the starters (and related JSONs) with custom folks, but right now the game seems to get extremely unhappy if you try to disable loading 3D portraits for your starting crew. (Either that, or I just haven't found the right commands yet.) Also, your Commander is seemingly not stored as a JSON and I haven't been able to test portrait replacement for them at all yet.

- Relatedly, it seems like some files, at least, are loaded in permanently to a career save on hitting New Game. For example, the SimGameConstants file, which controls a lot of starting conditions and whatnot, is loaded on start... and then, if you go back and change it and load a save, the values from when you first started the game will still be in force. So it seems that file, at least, is snapshotted and copied to your save file on every new campaign.

People are just getting started on digging, and there's a LOT of JSONs to experiment with. Though if someone figures out how to disable 3D portraits for the starting crew or how to prioritize Icon portraits over 3D, that'd be swell... and if someone knows where the Commander's data is stored, I wouldn't say no!

This is literally exactly the poo poo I'm worried about, thanks for digging around SpaceDrake.

Iymarra posted:

Aside from headcaps and sweeping the legs, how do I want to be downing mechs to obtain the most salvage?

Pilot hits. Knockdowns, Side Torso destruction, pinging the mech's head with a BB gun, etc. Enough of those [3 or 4] should take out most pilots.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'm stuck at the character creation screen.... :smith:

Because I can't decide between "Miami", "Canary", "Warlock" and "Double Down" for a callsign. :v:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I decided to name myself Kerensky, just to see how many angry glares I'll get in about 25 years.

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010
Game seems to be one of two things at the moment for people. Either no issues or completely unplayable. I can get to the Aurgian screen after the initial cutscene before the whole screen just blacks out and crashes.

All I wanted was to spend ANZAC day playing stompy robits

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Airspace posted:

Bah, with the connection issues and stuff apparently my 'multiplayer' callsign was set to something I didn't want.

Apparently it can't be changed, which is a shame.

I did the same thing, thought I was making my character's callsign - not my multiplayer callsign. Seems tied to the Paradox login. :(

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Just want to be sure I have this straight. No high resoultion spport or wide monitor support, but plety of time to code in transgender pronouns and head graphics? I mean really? You guys sat around and made a decision to go with three sexes..but not high resolution. So I load up the game, select 3440x1440. Loading....loading...loading...loading. Good solid 10 min. Till I noticed this little UI element on the bottom that moved when I hovered over it. I clicked it and the game continued. Way to screw over your customers I love sitting at a loading screen for no reason. I play the intro. Exit out to see if someone has a fix for the UI at 3440x1440 because of course 3rd genders (which dont exist) is supper important. Can I play at a Cat if I identify as one? Anyways, game is too new so no mods (that I have found). Go back to the game and now the 3440x1440 is even available? Why should I have to play the game now with huge letter boxes on either side? But hey at least they got gender fluidity into the game...because that is VERY important. Ill return the game until modders fix the moronic devs decisions - but of course by then new games will have come out and this will be forgotten.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

winterwerefox posted:

Just want to be sure I have this straight. No high resoultion spport or wide monitor support, but plety of time to code in transgender pronouns and head graphics? I mean really? You guys sat around and made a decision to go with three sexes..but not high resolution. So I load up the game, select 3440x1440. Loading....loading...loading...loading. Good solid 10 min. Till I noticed this little UI element on the bottom that moved when I hovered over it. I clicked it and the game continued. Way to screw over your customers I love sitting at a loading screen for no reason. I play the intro. Exit out to see if someone has a fix for the UI at 3440x1440 because of course 3rd genders (which dont exist) is supper important. Can I play at a Cat if I identify as one? Anyways, game is too new so no mods (that I have found). Go back to the game and now the 3440x1440 is even available? Why should I have to play the game now with huge letter boxes on either side? But hey at least they got gender fluidity into the game...because that is VERY important. Ill return the game until modders fix the moronic devs decisions - but of course by then new games will have come out and this will be forgotten.

source your quotes

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

winterwerefox posted:

You seem mad.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
^^^^ That's a Steam review.

Before I do something that gets me banned, are there any restrictions (aside from the obvious decency&co ones) for MP callsigns? Cause I was considering getting Major Plothole Kerensky out of the mothballs but I wouldn't like eating a ban/suspension if setting proprietary names are off limits.

For my trial SP run, I'm going with Jimmy 'Five Bellies' Gardner. Hopefully I'll find a portrait to match such a fine specimen:

I already know I can get tips/roots colors for the hairs, so that's a good start.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Hav posted:

You seem mad.

You seem had.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

So if anyone else here is getting a crash to a black screen after the opening cinematic, and you also pre-loaded the game, deleting it and re-downloading it fixed the issue for me after nothing else fixed it.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

https://steamcommunity.com/id/warcrym/recommended/637090/

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

I said come in! posted:

A bad Battletech game. Not even surprised. :homebrew:

it's good

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Anyone know if there is (or should be) a difference between salvaging a 'mech and selling it at a store?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Anyone know if there is (or should be) a difference between salvaging a 'mech and selling it at a store?

There is currently a bug where selling the mech will give you significantly less space bucks compared to scrapping it. So if you want to permanently get rid of one, just scrap it.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Played for about five hours so far.
, I have a decent amount of TT experience. Missions are pretty long but meaty. Blasting off components feel great, I wish there was more environmental type stuff like loose missiles/explosions setting trees on fire. Haven’t had any technical issues outside my last post.

I’m actually doing pretty good so far! Haven’t had any real losses and staying just out of the red. Helps to sell dead weight. Game is rad and I get a kick out of the day to day stuff, I just wish there was more voice acting. The mod scene is what I’m really excited for.

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010

Tindahbawx posted:

So if anyone else here is getting a crash to a black screen after the opening cinematic, and you also pre-loaded the game, deleting it and re-downloading it fixed the issue for me after nothing else fixed it.

I'm going to give this a go now.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Xarbala posted:

This is literally exactly the poo poo I'm worried about, thanks for digging around SpaceDrake.

To be clear, are you worried about people being able to put anime into the game, or the portrait system being a little inflexible? :v:

I actually have one more idea for now on the "get starters to show 2D portraits" front. It'd be a *goofy* workaround, but we'll see.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Is there some kind of timing on missions? Can I gently caress around and avoid main plot ones forever?

Game is great! Wishlist: standard and variant mech loadouts saved somewhere so I can repair/refit without a calculator.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
How early can I get a King Crab, my most favouritist assault mech?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Report from the first two missions:

Yoko Ricol (callsign: YoRi) is of to a good start. First I park her mech directly in front of a bunch of "harmless" vehicles. Cue a huge cloud of missiles coming from those striker-tanks. After surviving this, I then follow up with accidentally parking her mech right next to our first real enemies, with the back towards them.

Both times I get through this without getting hit a single time. Then we punch that Wolverine to death. :v:

I love this game! And luckily I can now save and quit, because it's almost midnight and I have to go to work tomorrow! (Well, poo poo)

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Played a couple of missions so far and I see why reviewers might find it boring in spots.

Had to take out a pirate base. Stomped in, shot the enemies dead, no problem. But the buildings have several hundred hit points each and are still a mile away, so after another seven or eight rounds I finally get all the buildings killed and then I still have to spend another two minutes running everyone to an extraction point.

That mission was easily ten minutes longer than it needed to be, and if lots of missions play out like that I could see getting bored or frustrated. Having fun blasting robits/messing around in the mech bay otherwise, no major bugs for me.

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

canepazzo posted:

Is there some kind of timing on missions? Can I gently caress around and avoid main plot ones forever?

Game is great! Wishlist: standard and variant mech loadouts saved somewhere so I can repair/refit without a calculator.

You can gently caress around forever, but harder missions are in part locked behind main story progression. So you might want to do some of the main story missions.

Improbable Lobster posted:

How early can I get a King Crab, my most favouritist assault mech?

Not early.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Hated the Spider, couldn't wait to get rid of it. Then, on the Argo mission I run it in to take a potshot at the Quickdraw for the hell of it. Head destroyed, salvage screen comes up with three Quickdraw pieces available to choose. Spider is now my new favorite mech.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I absolutely botched the first real mission as mercenaries and got two mechs destroyed and my character knocked out for almost four months lol

What are the yellow bars below the heat bar, by the way?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The game keeps freezing on the first load screen. :(

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Azran posted:

I absolutely botched the first real mission as mercenaries and got two mechs destroyed and my character knocked out for almost four months lol

Stability. When it fills up your mech gets knocked on its butt.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Zanziabar posted:

I'm going to give this a go now.

Try a verify local files first before redownloading the whole thing. Doesn't take too long and might save a wait.

As for the spider it's massive jump range (best in the game I think?) Lets it really take advantage of the reserve initiative system. If the pilot gets the shoot->move perk you can backshot like a madmad.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 24, 2018

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Azran posted:

Stability.

A lot of combat stuff is talked about here - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1365402907

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Trip report: runs amazingly well on my old potato of a PC on medium, loading times are absolutely not a problem (longest was like 10 seconds maybe?) and the game looks perfectly fine in spite of the low settings. Biggest complaint so far is that the dumb story and tutorial aren't optional, hopefully the start was the most story-dense part of the game because I wasn't expecting to like it and I'm enjoying it less than I expected :v:

The game flow is so, so much better once you turn off all the awful action cameras and weird disappearing UI elements and poo poo.