Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SpaceDrake posted:

To be clear, are you worried about people being able to put anime into the game, or the portrait system being a little inflexible? :v:

I actually have one more idea for now on the "get starters to show 2D portraits" front. It'd be a *goofy* workaround, but we'll see.

It appears you don't know me very well

I was about to try replacing some of the starters with portraits [and also turn Behemoth into Figment from Phros' LP] but i guess that's not going to happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Moving to SSD and verifying game cache sorted out my freezing issues, though the loading's still a little crappy.

Not nearly as bad as DOOM was though. Off my ssd the load time was four minutes somehow.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What's a good starting set for your player dude? I went 2 tactics 1 gunnery because periphery exile sounded reasonable for a silent protagonist.

Guts n gunnery so you can get bulwark asap and then turn into TURRET MAN

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Running it on my SSD and I have had no probelms. Game is great and Tetatae of Doom is blowing up the flightless in search of revenge.

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010

Taerkar posted:

Try a verify local files first before redownloading the whole thing. Doesn't take too long and might save a wait.

As for the spider it's massive jump range (best in the game I think?) Lets it really take advantage of the reserve initiative system. If the pilot gets the shoot->move perk you can backshot like a madmad.

I did try this beforehand; perhaps the trouble might be with the drivers. A clean reinstall didn't seem to have solved the issue.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Like the game so far, although it seems determined to obliterate my 1060 which is mildly concerning. My fans will spin up to max the second the Leopard shows up on screen and stay that way till I close the game, which seems...unintended. Digital Extremes these guys ain't, but that's alright, as long as they get things fixed. Haven't had any real problems other than that, load times are alright but I'm on a SSD.

Very happy they've gone with FlyingDebris-style aesthetics, his redesigns are just the best. The combat in-game is pretty derpy looking on zoom-in, but from a birds-eye view it looks solid enough, so I just disabled all the cutscenes. They seem to bug out 75% of the time anyways and just show me a random position on the map while the action happens offscreen. Same problems I had with Shadowrun really, the aesthetic design is impeccable but the actual implementation in game leaves much to be desired. That's alright though, high octane combat isn't really the draw here.

The combat and systems themselves seem well-designed and I'm enjoying the game a lot. The management layer is plenty crunchy for me and there's a lot of cool stuff you can pull off in-game. Feels like a worthy entry into the series, which is great given the extremely mixed history the franchise has had. Someday I'll get my glorious return to the Mechwarrior 2 setting and the Refusal War and all that poo poo but for now I'm pretty happy with what HBS has done, as long as the optimization kinks get worked out.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Man, I spent all my inspiration on called legshots on that Quickdraw, but my guys were just loving determined to hit the CT basically every single time. Cored that drat thing right away. Where's that sort of accuracy when I just want you to mulch some random Commando?! :argh:

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
im playing the stompy robots game and it will probably make my gtx 780 explode but until then im having a lot of fun. the only other mech game ive played is the one on the psx where everything was cubes of different sizes but it was IN 3D :aaa:

im also thoroughly enjoying the music AND the story. a surprise to me, for sure

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Blazing Zero posted:

the only other mech game ive played is the one on the psx where everything was cubes of different sizes but it was IN 3D :aaa:

I also loved front mission 3

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
My main character got taken out of action for 110 days after a pirate queen did a death from above on him in a heavy mech :argh:

Still, it made punching her to death easier.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Stability. When it fills up your mech gets knocked on its butt.

The first white mark on the bar gets you "unsteady" and it makes you lose evasion. Once the bar fills up you get knocked down, but afaik you won't get knocked down in a single attack unless you are already unsteady. So if you have 2 pips and an enemy attack maxes your bar out, you only become unsteady instead of falling down - but any additional stability damage will immediately topple you.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I am very, very glad that you don't have to pay for ammo expended.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

so most of the negative reviews are people bitching about pronouns right?

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

It's so good.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

DrManiac posted:

Some, but a lot of people are having crash issues too. And some don't like the gameplay

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Played for five hours after release, been having a blast despite the stutters and that one jump ship cutscene you can't skip even though the other ones can be. Just clearing merc contracts to build up some dough and maybe salvage some new mechs and ran into a triple Wolverine mission with LRM carrier reinforcements that put me back a month in repairs and then the next one I fought my first heaviest after the Argo and it was two of them. Got me 3 salvage pieces of a Tbolt though (I forgot how cool the flyingdebris design for it is).

Also Dekker ate poo poo in the first mission and in true XCOM tradition I soldiered on with a new guy. The Jenner is definitely the light to go with for noobs like me cause the default loadout is perfect for alpha striking an idiot in the back and then taking the next turn to run away to cool off.

The Cent sucks as it always does because you can't engine swap. Maybe it'll feel better if I can salvage an AC10 or something. SRM spam doesn't feel very strong, almost feels like it should cause more stability damage or something. Oh well time to test out my new Tbolt after lunch!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I am really on the fence. I like robots, but hated the Shadowrun games and thought they were super dull combat-wise. I had forgotten that HBS did those.

How long is the SP camplain supposed to be? I don't care much about MP.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Xarbala posted:

It appears you don't know me very well

I was about to try replacing some of the starters with portraits [and also turn Behemoth into Figment from Phros' LP] but i guess that's not going to happen

Aha. Welcome, my brother. :v:

Yeah, it's a shame but I can't seem to find any way to disable the 3D portraits for your initial pack of dorks that doesn't make the game extraordinarily unhappy. Given that the multiplayer pilots use that system and how PoptartNinja showed off folks with custom portraits in MP, though, I'm wondering if there was a change from beta or if I'm missing something in general.

In the relevant pilot file, I'm setting their "Icon" to the relevant image is properly entered into VersionManifest. Does anyone know if an additional step is needed to override a 3D-system portrait? Or do I just need to put my idiots into the MercNet and hope to get them? (And what JSON even controls MercNet behavior? That's one that isn't obvious, if it exists at all.)

DrManiac posted:

And also the game being kind of scattershot in function; some folks are having tons of trouble making the game work.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

bongwizzard posted:

I am really on the fence. I like robots, but hated the Shadowrun games and thought they were super dull combat-wise. I had forgotten that HBS did those.

How long is the SP camplain supposed to be? I don't care much about MP.

you can keep playing it forever if you feel like, i gather

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Punched a bit above my class and pulled through a hard mission by the skin of my teeth, game crashed after the loot screen and wiped the progress

:negative:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I might just overwrite some kickstarter backer portraits and files. I'm very sorry, top-shelf backers, you deserve better than this but I can't figure out a better way to have a lance full of my idiot hand-drawn animes and also some other art.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Punched a bit above my class and pulled through a hard mission by the skin of my teeth, game crashed after the loot screen and wiped the progress

:negative:

hooboy

That's... quite a pill to swallow.

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010
Alright so I have tried

- Verifying the game files with no success
- Doing a full uninstall/reinstall of the game
- Updating my drivers to the latest version.

I still continue to have the game flicker when coming into the campaign. Any other suggestions?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

It owns that this game seems to perform worse the better your computer is lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Control Volume posted:

It owns that this game seems to perform worse the better your computer is lol

This seems to happen a lot now.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Whats the verdict? Game good or game bad? I was looking forward to playing it tonight

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Important UI elements ending up off the screen in 32:9 is unfortunate.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Captain Gordon posted:

Whats the verdict? Game good or game bad? I was looking forward to playing it tonight

Game good, HBS should hammer out the technical issues in time, game's download/unpacking process looks really weird on Steam, just be patient with it and let it do its thing.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Wait, is this game running on Unity?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

DrManiac posted:

It looks like the most egregious ones are getting removed, but there are still some fair complaints of some people not being able to get started on the campaign.

I am really enjoying it. I'm a turn-based game fan in general, and play a lot of grognard-y wargames and the like, but find them pretty dry sometimes so I lept at the chance to play with robots. And this is some faithful-rear end tabletop-ish gameplay that I am REALLY digging. There are a few quality of life changes that seem in high demand that I think seem pretty easy to implement, so all in all I am pretty drat impressed. I didn't follow the beta at all, so at least for someone who came into it with no prior exposure it seems to be worth it.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Wait, is this game running on Unity?

Yup

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Oh. Welp, don't need to buy this one now.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
tfw you accidentally DFA a tank when you just wanted to run up to it and stomp

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Also I greatly appreciate the rivulets of molten metal when being hit by PPCs

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Oh. Welp, don't need to buy this one now.

I feel like there’s some context, that I’m missing here

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear
Re: No Borderless Window

There are 2 options to get this function working:

1) Use the Borderless Gaming program https://github.com/Codeusa/Borderless-Gaming/releases/tag/9.5.4

2) Use -popupwindow as a Launch Option for Battletech in Steam

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I feel like there’s some context, that I’m missing here

Because a lot of people make lovely unity games some people assume all unity games are poo poo.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Man, this sure does have some load times, doesn't it?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Khisanth Magus posted:

Because a lot of people make lovely unity games some people assume all unity games are poo poo.

Biggest online cardgame in the world is poo poo? who knew!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Why do games like this bring out the "No 60 FPS lock? No buy.", "No 2 trillion by 1 Trillion resolution? No buy.", "Unity? No buy." crowd?

Sorry is doesn't meet your weird esoteric standards, just don't buy it I guess.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Khisanth Magus posted:

I've yet to find a single Unity game that didn't have some major engine-based problem.

I'm sure the gameplay is great, but I'm tired of dealing with Unitys lovely optimization, endless bugs, problems with gysnc/freesync/etc, and general fragility always on the edge of crashing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Popete posted:

Why do games like this bring out the "No 60 FPS lock? No buy.", "No 2 trillion by 1 Trillion resolution? No buy.", "Unity? No buy." crowd?
Because games like these tend to attract self-described gamers.