Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That black and bronze or whatever armor he had before that wasnpretty great too. I see what they were going for, but there's probably a million better space Iron Man designs out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Monaghan posted:

JLA/Avengers is so goddamn good. It's pretty much the only good marvel dc crossover.

It so is. It’s right before Bendis began the modern age of the Avengers too, and it’s done by Busiek and Perez, so to anyone who just started reading comics over the last 15 years it must look like a time capsule from the loving 60s or something.

Also it’s not available digitally from either Marvel or DC, right? I’ve got the physical copies but they’re all the way back in freaking Ireland and I’d love to have a digital copy for my tablet.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Billzasilver posted:

Infinity is real fuckin good for many, many reasons. but its during that weird time when Iron Man joined the Guardians of the Galaxy so his armor has this weird lovely star design on it.

Oh, ok... Makes sense but it looks too busy. And for an Iron Man costume that's saying a lot. It's mostly the face, though. Where the mask has a weird separation along the bridge of his nose. That's my biggest issue with it.

As for Infinity, it has been pretty great so far. I'm reading the main series and the main two Avengers books intertwined with it. I can see how much of an influence it's been on the upcoming movie.

But did MU just put this up? Cuz this is a hell of a lot to read in a week if people want to get through it before the movie. I wanted to check it out to get the low-down on the Black Order and didn't realize the task ahead of me.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

It all should have been up for a while, a bit back I read through the various Secret Wars tie-ins I missed. Hell, I think I read Vision through MU and that starts after SW.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zachack posted:

It all should have been up for a while, a bit back I read through the various Secret Wars tie-ins I missed. Hell, I think I read Vision through MU and that starts after SW.

If it's post 2000 ish and more than 6 months ago it is almost certainly on Marvel Unlimited unless it's Marvel MAX. Pre 2000 ish it's a bit spotty but they add at least 20 old comics every week.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Teen Titans and Uncanny X-Men is the best crossover. Hulk and Batman is also real good.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I'm a huge fan of Teen Titans/Uncanny X-Men, but nothing comes close to JLA/Avengers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Open Marriage Night posted:

I'm a huge fan of Teen Titans/Uncanny X-Men, but nothing comes close to JLA/Avengers.

I personally love the madman Superman crossover

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The best part of those kind of crossovers is how every now and then they have some sort of canon after effects, like how the Wildstorm/Aliens crossover directly lead to The Authority happening, or JLA/Avengers leading into Trinity

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

drrockso20 posted:

The best part of those kind of crossovers is how every now and then they have some sort of canon after effects, like how the Wildstorm/Aliens crossover directly lead to The Authority happening, or JLA/Avengers leading into Trinity

Trinity was like, 6 years later. There was a JLA arc that dealt with the JLA/A aftermath though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

Batman would just knock out Magneto with a perfictly carved wooden Batarang.

He wouldn't even need to knock him out with it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Trinity was like, 6 years later. There was a JLA arc that dealt with the JLA/A aftermath though.

What happened in that arc?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

twistedmentat posted:

I'd love to see a DC/Marvel crossover that was just the villians switched, the Iron Man vs Sinestro, The X-men Vs the Joker, Batman Vs Mangeto, Green Lantern vs Green Goblin.

I know Venom fought Batman once, and Spider-man wasn't involved I think.

The issue with a lot of the cross-company team-ups was that the writers took some pretty big liberties with characters' abilities, and sometimes personalities. Like, nobody really likes Carnage, but Batman shouldn't be able to kick his rear end in a straight fight. And Venom certainly shouldn't be able to knock Superman around. And one of the Punisher/Batman team-ups had Joker looking and acting like a character from a gangster movie and being inexplicably skilled with firearms.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Apr 24, 2018

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I thought Joker was inexplicably skilled at everything.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

The issue with a lot of the cross-company team-ups was that the writers took some pretty big liberties with characters' abilities, and sometimes personalities. Like, nobody really likes Carnage, but Batman shouldn't be able to kick his rear end in a straight fight. And Venom certainly shouldn't be able to knock Superman around. And one of the Punisher/Batman team-ups had Joker looking and acting like a character from a gangster movie and being inexplicably skilled with firearms.

True, though in that case, whoever wrote it was at least aware enough of that that they tried to cover it up a bit by having Venom exclaim, "I've gone one-on-one with Juggernaut!" but I'm not sure if that's actually true.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Lurdiak posted:

I know Venom fought Batman once, and Spider-man wasn't involved I think.

No no no...Batman: Venom was a different story entirely :hurr:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

True, though in that case, whoever wrote it was at least aware enough of that that they tried to cover it up a bit by having Venom exclaim, "I've gone one-on-one with Juggernaut!" but I'm not sure if that's actually true.

He has, and I can buy Venom being able to knock around mid-90's Superman, people tend to forget how strong Spider-Man actually is, and Venom is supposed to be even stronger

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

drrockso20 posted:

He has, and I can buy Venom being able to knock around mid-90's Superman, people tend to forget how strong Spider-Man actually is, and Venom is supposed to be even stronger

Superman is like, 100 times stronger than Spider-man.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Lemme whip out some old school card info....

I seem to recall Venom's strength/power level being a 6 out of 7. Spider-man's was a 4 or 5 out of 7. HOWEVER...he should not be able to hurt Superman through brute strength vs symbiote fuckery.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gatts posted:

I seem to recall Venom's strength/power level being a 6 out of 7. Spider-man's was a 4 or 5 out of 7. HOWEVER...he should not be able to hurt Superman through brute strength vs symbiote fuckery.

Venom being able to even muss Superman's hair is silly.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Not when he turns Super Symbiote God Super Symbiote.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Nilbop posted:

Not when he turns Super Symbiote God Super Symbiote.

Oh, Venom Blue all right.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Vegetom.

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Lobok posted:

Man, I'm reading the Infinity event from 2013 and I don't think Deodato's art has ever looked better than when coloured by Frank Martin. And by coincidence I happened to be reading through the Osborn Thunderbolt era so a good comparison is fresh in my mind.

Edit: And what the hell was going on with Iron Man's armour at the time. One of the worst I've ever seen.

Agreed. Although it bothered me how he draws Hank as a giant Sasquatch man that was like twice as big as the rest of the Illuminati.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Gatts posted:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Superman is like, 100 times stronger than Spider-man.

Late 80's to Mid-90's Superman is a lot weaker* than what most people think of when it comes to Superman(if you're familiar at all with the DCAU version of Superman they are in a similar range), which they did as they wanted at the time to make it more believable that most of his enemies could be credible threats

This doesn't mean I'm saying Venom could do any serious harm to Superman, just that it makes sense that Venom could knock him around a bit under the right circumstances

*indeed I'd have to double check but I'm pretty sure DC vs Marvel happened either not long after Superman came back to life or shortly after Final Night, both events had left him especially weak

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

drrockso20 posted:

Late 80's to Mid-90's Superman is a lot weaker* than what most people think of when it comes to Superman(if you're familiar at all with the DCAU version of Superman they are in a similar range), which they did as they wanted at the time to make it more believable that most of his enemies could be credible threats

This doesn't mean I'm saying Venom could do any serious harm to Superman, just that it makes sense that Venom could knock him around a bit under the right circumstances

*indeed I'd have to double check but I'm pretty sure DC vs Marvel happened either not long after Superman came back to life or shortly after Final Night, both events had left him especially weak

Nah, he was still plenty strong post crisis. And post return from death he was getting stronger every month to the point that his body began to swell from the excess power.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It’s like hotness scale. You can fight 2 levels up, but that’s the max.

3 if you have a nice accent.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Nobody from New York has a nice accent.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That’s why Venom can fight Superman but Spider-Man can’t.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Nah, he was still plenty strong post crisis. And post return from death he was getting stronger every month to the point that his body began to swell from the excess power.

Sure, there's that John Byrne story (the one where he meets the Phantom Stranger?) where he lifts this massive piece of Earth and flies it into space while thinking, "It only weigh about a million tons or so..." isn't there?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

drrockso20 posted:

Unless Superman just took a bath in kryptonite, Spider-man can't even come close to hurting him.

Now Batman, he should get his rear end completely wrecked by someone who can lift 10 tons, but he tends to get plot armor. There was that time where he beat Hulk by kicking him in the stomach to force him to breathe in gas. And as a BSSer put it back then "Batman could launch himself from a cannon directly into Hulk's eye and it shouldn't even make him blink".

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jim the Nickel posted:

Agreed. Although it bothered me how he draws Hank as a giant Sasquatch man that was like twice as big as the rest of the Illuminati.

Yeah, also a gorilla at times, which does actually seem closer to the original spirit of the character. But I have no idea what Beast is supposed to be anymore so I just go with it.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Stan Lee originally wrote Spider-Man as slightly weaker than the Thing, if that helps clear things up.

And also, Vaptain America has always been written as able to slightly hurt the Hulk.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

It’s like hotness scale. You can fight 2 levels up, but that’s the max.

3 if you have a nice accent.

So Rogue should be able to throw down with Galactus, is what you're saying?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

So Rogue should be able to throw down with Galactus, is what you're saying?

Yes.

And then later, combat.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They don't call him the world eater for nothing.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Billzasilver posted:

Stan Lee originally wrote Spider-Man as slightly weaker than the Thing, if that helps clear things up.

And also, Vaptain America has always been written as able to slightly hurt the Hulk.

I like the movies' way of doing it. Everyone's strength is Normie, Badass, Super, or Hulk, and you don't need granularity beyond that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Billzasilver posted:

"Ok ok we get it, Rogers! You vape, geez."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I just wanna go on record as stating I'm super into everything going on in Iron Man at this moment in time.

• Locked thread