Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Does anyone know if there is a background difficulty slope a la XCOM's aliens getting stronger by timeline, or am I okay just orbiting for a month to get stuff built?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

So far just played the intro missions but the game started flawlessly.

So much lol at the broflakes getting mad about gender-neutral pronouns. It doesn't even make much difference mechanically -- you just get to choose from both genders' portrait defaults.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Does anyone know if there is a background difficulty slope a la XCOM's aliens getting stronger by timeline, or am I okay just orbiting for a month to get stuff built?

I get the impression this advances with the story missions, but you'll likely always get a selection of mission difficulties offered.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I think the only limitation is your operating cost.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Stayed up until 6am playing this. Slept for two hours. Dreamt about robots. Good game.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Pylons posted:

Yeah, I've had a fairly easy time of it so far but I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing WRT design. Waiting for inevitable goon write-up!

Agreed, I don't need (or really want) meta templates to follow, but every time I look at the lab I'm like "ah jeez" and back away slowly. I'm sure I'll grok to it with time but a basic common sense overview from someone more experienced would be appreciated.

I popped a few more missions and will have to stop at this point. Going to be thinking about the game until I can get back to it in two weeks though.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Found the Word Of Lowtax reference! Loving this poo poo. Sumire knows that goons are awful creatures

Thanks for all the prerelease chat that let me enjoy that poo poo when i found it.

The Dipshit fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 25, 2018

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FunkMonkey posted:

Agreed, I don't need (or really want) meta templates to follow, but every time I look at the lab I'm like "ah jeez" and back away slowly. I'm sure I'll grok to it with time but a basic common sense overview from someone more experienced would be appreciated.

I popped a few more missions and will have to stop at this point. Going to be thinking about the game until I can get back to it in two weeks though.

Like, my Blackjack had it's right arm blown off. The laser and autocannon are red now. Does that mean I can't equip them when I drag them on to re-equip them to the refitted arm? Statistically they seem identical to the not-hosed-up weapons on the other arm.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

RBA Starblade posted:

Like, my Blackjack had it's right arm blown off. The laser and autocannon are red now. Does that mean I can't equip them when I drag them on to re-equip them to the refitted arm?

It means they're gone!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gwaihir posted:

It means they're gone!

Oh, so they're destroyed and and gone forever and not just damaged. That's fair. Then why can I equip them? Can I just send out a mech with broken trash for no reason?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh, so they're destroyed and and gone forever and not just damaged. That's fair. Then why can I equip them? Can I just send out a mech with broken trash for no reason?

This tripped me up too. They’re destroyed but still exist for some reason. You gotta buy new poo poo from the store and have it equipped. Drop the red ones with the X’s into the dismount box and you don’t have to see the broken trash again.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

When you replace an arm or whatever it automatically queues up those parts for disassembly, but if it doesn't you have to. It takes additional time to remove those broken components. You might be asking why that is, seeing that you're basically taking the arm off at the shoulder anyways, but don't ask questions.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thanks guys, I get it now. The ol BJ spent the first mission in the wrong position so my teacher had his arm blown off, then in the next mission I learned from my old mentor and had the same arm blown off. Guess my ancestral Blackjack's shittier than ever! :haw:

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
A day of playing done, looks like my 970 and SSD was a lucky combination as I had zero bug/performance issues. Received my first heavy mech, the Dragon, and it's sweet. Turns out it gets a whole new lease on life outside of MWO when you just run around slapping light mechs out of existence with your hand/claw. What sort of mechwarrior tract combos have y'all gone? I've done a lot of gunnery/tactics and pilot/guts. I'm trying to decide if a pilot/tactic build is best for a scouting light, or if pilot/gunnery is the way to go.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I can’t remember when I developed crippling second-thoughts-about-choosing-skills-itis but I hate it.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
Game is real good! I've put in 4 hours already, and the only bug I've had was trying to log in to a paradox acount. Other than that it's been bug free, which is surprising considering I'm running this off an external hard drive on my lovely lap top.
Only complaint is watching AI ally apcs slowly crawl around for 2 minutes. I hope they add an option to speed up animations by a shitton. Also make slightly better death animations for the tanks, like why the hell do the wheels all pop off symmetrically???? Just have them brew up or w/e

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Jeez, early game shoddy/ramshackle lights just loving fly apart when you hit them with the Shadow Hawk's melee. Behemoth has by now scored three one-shot kills on pristine ones via just clotheslining the poor little things.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Pylons posted:

Yeah, I've had a fairly easy time of it so far but I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing WRT design. Waiting for inevitable goon write-up!

Just make sure to maximize (front) armour on torso and arms and you'll be way ahead of any default loadout

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

RBA Starblade posted:

Like I'm liking the game but it did an insanely lovely job explaining how not to get owned instantly by the guys who survive your ten turns of artillery fire to walk up and punch you in the dick so hard your arms pop off while your own dickpuncher forgets where the dick is even located

This post made me laugh so hard I cried. True story.

What are the mechs to just avoid?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I've got 3 core thoughts.

- The intro needs to be skippable, letting you just start on the Leopard. If you choose this, just let Arano and what's her face not actually know you, because you started with the Marauders. I don't know why it's not, the meat of the game isn't the campaign, it's the mech stuff, and it's largely locked off behind all the story ( which doesn't tell you jackshit you couldn't have learned by just scrolling over the Aurigan Directorate conversation option. ).

- Your character should start with a buffer for the first 2-3 missions where if you get injured you can heal in 5-10 days. I like the long healing, and like it as a mechanic for everyone else. But boy howdy one of those tanks in the desert mission got a lucky shot on me and whoops, I got 2 strikes out, now I can't use my character for the first 57 days. I ended up restarting due to it, it was super annoying because it happened before I had a chance to really get my corps running and all of a sudden "my character" was out of commission.

- Do we know if there is an endgame for merc contracts? Going to be honest, I don't really care about the Arano stuff. But I'm hoping the endgame merc stuff will have us changing borders for the Houses, doing major power plays against named folks, etc etc. I realize it's ~noncanon~, but it'd still be nice to actually have some real meaty missions outside of just scaling "murder dudes in a desert thanks." missions.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Oh, I picked up an AC20.

This poo poo is the bee's knees

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Lost the dude and the Spider on the first post tutorial mission. Every single vehicle and 2 turrets turned on him and smoked him. RIP Spider dude.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

CitizenKain posted:

Lost the dude and the Spider on the first post tutorial mission. Every single vehicle and 2 turrets turned on him and smoked him. RIP Spider dude.

He came within a hair's breath for me. I was dumb enough to take out the individual turrets instead of popping the generator though. Chalk it up to a costly learning experience.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Game is good and fun but definitely needs some (very doable) technical work, also generally speeding up the action as a whole (2x animations or something at least) and removing dead time

Dunno how long the legs are going to be yet but the child in me nostalgic for MW2 Mercs is happy :shobon:

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Pylons posted:

It's not that complicated. Lasers are your default weapon, they trade damage for heat reasonably efficiently, don't need ammo, don't have any weird negatives, etc. Medium lasers are more efficient, large lasers give you better range. If you build a mech just using lasers, make sure to be able to fire most of the guns every turn but you don't need to be able to shoot every gun.

Compare the rest of the guns to lasers to figure out the role. AC/2, PPC and LRMs are all long range with different benefits, AC/20, SRMs and support weapons are all close range. Mechs should have a plan, like a melee mech that's fast and has support weapons, or a sniper, or a mid range brawler or whatever. Also keep in mind what happens if things don't go to plan, but remember that the AI is pretty dumb.

Mixed loadouts also aren't too bad in this if you've got the multi targeting ability.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

I'm guessing steam cloud or something at this point. I can't find any file at all that gets opened when you load a game.

I see. I wonder if there is some way to make items more likely to show up in stores then.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Rookersh posted:

I've got 3 core thoughts.

- The intro needs to be skippable, letting you just start on the Leopard. If you choose this, just let Arano and what's her face not actually know you, because you started with the Marauders. I don't know why it's not, the meat of the game isn't the campaign, it's the mech stuff, and it's largely locked off behind all the story ( which doesn't tell you jackshit you couldn't have learned by just scrolling over the Aurigan Directorate conversation option. ).

- Your character should start with a buffer for the first 2-3 missions where if you get injured you can heal in 5-10 days. I like the long healing, and like it as a mechanic for everyone else. But boy howdy one of those tanks in the desert mission got a lucky shot on me and whoops, I got 2 strikes out, now I can't use my character for the first 57 days. I ended up restarting due to it, it was super annoying because it happened before I had a chance to really get my corps running and all of a sudden "my character" was out of commission.

- Do we know if there is an endgame for merc contracts? Going to be honest, I don't really care about the Arano stuff. But I'm hoping the endgame merc stuff will have us changing borders for the Houses, doing major power plays against named folks, etc etc. I realize it's ~noncanon~, but it'd still be nice to actually have some real meaty missions outside of just scaling "murder dudes in a desert thanks." missions.

I would like a sandbox mode that ignores the story yes.

As for pilot injuries, you're expected to maintain a decent roster of mechwarriors and to be suffering one or two injured pilots every fight. That is why even the little Leopard can fit in up to 9 mechwarriors (8 barracks berths plus your Commander). If it helps, eventually you can start finding cockpit mods which can be installed in the head slot that basically soak up 1 (or more) injuries every mission.

As far as endgame stuff I don't think the map borders can actually change. Kiva never mentioned anything like that, nor has the promotional material.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004
Summer Meyer background, SA Easter egg?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
If you're completely new, try to stick with the default roles and descriptions of your Mechs and think about what would be good to fill that role. Once you get more comfortable with things, try to adjust loadouts to what you think might be good for the way you're using the Mech.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Bring out a heavy mech for the first time and it gets cores by a Jenner on the first turn :xcom:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Apparently the LRM-20+++ I got is +Damage and ++Stability Damage, which combined with the +Crit Chance +Stability Damage PPC I got is doing :circlefap: things to whatever I point it at.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So far my best luck has been looking at the board like you’ve got a scalpel in your hand and cut out whatever feels like the biggest threat - which can be a mix of armaments and mobility.

A damaged unit can still attack you for full damage with whatever weapons it still has. You can have decent luck with using jump jets to get the mobility around heavier units while cutting out the smaller guys before focusing in on the big boys.

Try to not let yourself be exposed to more targets than the one you want to shoot next - that’s all the goons that are gonna be shooting back at you in a minute. If you have to fall back, then fall back and let them come to you.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Default loadouts go far (especially with multi-targeting), I don't think any particular mech should be felt as a trap choice or that customization must be done to get past the first 10 hours of the game or so.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Taintrunner posted:

So far my best luck has been looking at the board like you’ve got a scalpel in your hand and cut out whatever feels like the biggest threat - which can be a mix of armaments and mobility.

A damaged unit can still attack you for full damage with whatever weapons it still has. You can have decent luck with using jump jets to get the mobility around heavier units while cutting out the smaller guys before focusing in on the big boys.

Try to not let yourself be exposed to more targets than the one you want to shoot next - that’s all the goons that are gonna be shooting back at you in a minute. If you have to fall back, then fall back and let them come to you.

To touch on this: the most dangerous thing on the field is the one that hasn't moved yet. If you have a shot at two equally killable things, but one has moved that round and the other has not, kill the one that hasn't moved yet. That's damage that you're suddenly not taking, whereas the one that's already moved has already done all its damage for that turn.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Rookersh posted:

More and deadlier contracts spawn forever, but it's never really a thing that can move nation borders for the IS.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What is the purpose of multiple jump jets?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Baron Porkface posted:

Each jet lets you jump 1 dot of distance, roughly.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Baron Porkface posted:

Madder ups.

E: beaten, alas.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
gently caress yah battletech! woot woot

Forgot I backed this but glad I did.

It's weird playing a battletech game that isn't a FPS, but it works.

edit: strategy tips beyond "shoot them in the butt" ?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 25, 2018

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Oh nice, I like the thing in conversations where you can mouse over a highlighted word to get some background info/lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

It's pretty unfortunate that you are restricted to 4 mechwarriors rather than a tonnage limit. Doesn't seem to be a role for lighter mechs.