Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

gently caress any idea that involves me being at work on unpaid time. Because they sure as poo poo ain't gonna pay me to shower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Many have gyms

What jobs typically have gyms/showers? The only places I've worked with showers were literally a gym and an industrial plant with a full locker room due to chemicals.

Are you thinking of the upper class campuses and financial firms, maybe?

hobbesmaster posted:

if you're in a large city you work in a large building that has a gym attached... its another issue.

If it's a large dense city like New York or Chicago where a gym is in your building you are probably already taking transit to work anyhow.

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 26, 2018

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Cheesus posted:

By "too long", you mean "two days", right?

My wife rarely eats leftovers the next day and never beyond that. And has ridiculous ideas of when something has "gone bad". The other day she told me to throwaway the apple juice I'd opened for our son a week before because the label (*) said it was only good for a week. Yes, mostly pure sugar water that's been pasteurized is going to spoil in a week. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, here on Thursday I'm still lunching on the frittata I cooked for Sunday breakfast.

(*) Of course it didn't.

Leftovers for a week or more. When I say sauce I mean bottles like salad dressing, barbecue sauce, etc that have been opened for a long time and are currently about six months or more past the date printed on the bottle.

hobbesmaster posted:

Many have gyms or if you're in a large city you work in a large building that has a gym attached... its another issue.

lol no what are you talking about

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Cheesus posted:

I'm sorry, but a painted lane on a road does not a make a "safe bike infrastructure".

In my mind, "safe infrastructure" involves either a physically separate road/trail or some kind of barrier to prevent motor vehicles from encroaching into the bike lane. That may not be possible physically inside a city but I'd expect cars to be moving much slower there than the 50-60 MPH I experience in my rural roads.

My local state highway recently touted adding a bike lane during their recent renovations. It was just widening the shoulder and not even bothering to spend the money to paint a lane on the outside of it.
Yeah standard painted bike lanes are nearly worthless. Buffered bike lanes are slightly better, but you really need a physical barrier (or well designed mixing in sufficiently narrow/slow zones) to get people feeling safe. That's what made a huge difference in Vancouver. A mixture of protected bike lanes, off-street cycling/mixed-use paths, and pedestrianized zones is ideal.

Bunni-kat posted:

I'd say small towns are probably better places for bike infrastructure than cities, at least for rapid adoption, because there's not as much entrenched infrastructure to modify. It took more than 5 months for them to put in the bike lane behind my apartment building, and they didn't have to repave anything.
Yeah but often smaller cities/towns are super sprawly and there's not as much within easy biking range, and the people themselves are less open to funding bike improvements. Too bad, really.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Your work doesn't have a full gym/shower/spa/armani store...? How quaint

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Doctor Butts posted:

Leftovers for a week or more. When I say sauce I mean bottles like salad dressing, barbecue sauce, etc that have been opened for a long time and are currently about six months or more past the date printed on the bottle.

You could dip food in a toilet and odds are you wouldn't get sick. Food safety stuff is always at a population level. You can pretty much do anything and any individual act will only have a sub 1% chance of making you sick. If something has a 1 in 10,000 chance of making you seriously ill that is almost ignorable on a personal level but is a serious issue if it's something a million people are doing.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Help Im Alive posted:

Your work doesn't have a full gym/shower/spa/armani store...? How quaint

I mean by law any company in Iceland over a certain number of employees (I think it's 8) has to have a shower. It's possible to legislate if it becomes a priority. Most smaller companies just shove a solid unit in a closet, but the nicer the company the nicer the facilities. The Lazytown offices had a meditation room attached to the gym and showers, for example.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

LeJackal posted:

What jobs typically have gyms/showers? The only places I've worked with showers were literally a gym and an industrial plant with a full locker room due to chemicals.

Are you thinking of the upper class campuses and financial firms, maybe?
Just regular corporate offices, my last two had a gym (same company) and so does our main competitor in town. In fact, I'm posting this from the gym right now.

J/k I already went home but was there on lunch break. That said I see very few people coming by bicycle, there seem to be more motorcycles than the lame kind. They do commuting surveys yearly so I'll try to dig it up.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

poopinmymouth posted:

I mean by law any company in Iceland over a certain number of employees (I think it's 8) has to have a shower.

what in the gently caress

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

iceland owns.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Honolulu has been expanding its bike infrastructure rapidly over the past few years. We've only just started getting some protected/buffered lanes the past couple of years, but they suffer from the fact that they cross numerous driveways and parking lot entrances/exits. I don't think it's fair to call a bike lane "protected" when inattentive drivers can still quite easily collide with a cyclist. We also get plenty of new bike lanes that are just painted lines (or sometimes just sharrows, which i actually prefer myself as a cycle commuter) on roads where cars are routinely going 30+ mph.

That being said, in my unscientific anecdotal experience I see a lot more people riding bikes in the urban core of Honolulu. The addition of our bikeshare system last year has also apparently increased the number of people riding bikes here. It hasn't yet made a dent in our often-times nightmareish traffic, but it's a start.

I don't even own a car. I'll either borrow or do one of those extremely short-term rentals if I need to do something like go to Costco or schlep my bike to a road race or something like that. If I can make a trip work on a bike, I'm going to take that trip on my bike. I'm a bit of an outlier because I'll happily use roads that are severely lacking in "safe" bike infrastructure, but I appreciate every little bit that gets built here.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

boner confessor posted:

what in the gently caress

Sweden too, usually it'll be in the handicapped bathroom. Lot of people at my job there would run during lunch and hose down afterwards

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I live in town in Wyoming where it's easier to walk than it is to bike because the only bike racks in town are at schools and Walmart, so there's nowhere to chain up. Meanwhile, the white-collar town thirty miles over just had stations for mounting your bike to fix it put in several locations.

I don't get it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

In the United States there's really no way to travel across the country with cargo for less than $500 unless you have a car. I've driven cross country twice with my old car and twice with my current car and I'm about to do it again. I would not want to somehow transport furniture and myself and wardrobe on a train.

I also am too scared to ride a bike where I live. You either ride on the sidewalk or roads with no bike lanes and posted speeds up to 40 miles per hour.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 27, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BarbarianElephant posted:

In the UK, most supermarkets have a website you can order from. You never actually need to go to the supermarket. Bliss... This would work just fine in most urban areas in the USA, but they seem to be slow in adopting the technology. There *are* online supermarkets (Amazon Fresh, Fresh Direct) but they are expensive and not generally as good as real supermarkets.

In many US major urban areas, online supermarket service has been operating for over 20 years, usually through entities that were initially phone ordering (and often still accept phone orders if you choose to do so). Peapod, for example, currently operates in Chicago, DC, NYC/Long Island, Boston, Philadelphia, parts of Connecticut, parts of Wisconsin, and so on. They used to operate in other markets like SF, some parts of Texas, and so on originally, but the company got bought out by Ahold who runs many US supermarket brands so now they don't operate in any places without Ahold supermarkets established, usually another company picked up the online ordering services in those regions.

There's also a whole bunch of supermarkets that don't have a formal online system, but if you're a regular customer at a given store you can email or phone in orders and pay for stuff to be shipped out - a lot of stores end up doing this primarily for elderly customers and setup for them by local senior services, but it's available to anyone who wants to use it.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

In the United States there's really no way to travel across the country with cargo for less than $500 unless you have a car. I've driven cross country twice with my old car and twice with my current car and I'm about to do it again. I would not want to somehow transport furniture and myself and wardrobe on a train.

I mean, I've rented a vehicle to move.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ditocoaf posted:

I mean, I've rented a vehicle to move.

The US even has services for that exact purpose, like U-Haul.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The US even has services for that exact purpose, like U-Haul.

And that still relies on there being a country-wide infrastructure to support such vehicles.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kerning Chameleon posted:

And that still relies on there being a country-wide infrastructure to support such vehicles.

Like what, roads? Other countries have that, you know.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Nobody's arguing to get rid of roads entirely?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ditocoaf posted:

Nobody's arguing to get rid of roads entirely?

I dunno, I get the feeling some folks here unironically think the SimCity solution of literally replacing all roads with railroads is the best thing that can be done in the long run.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Like what, roads? Other countries have that, you know.

No they don't, it's all rail. Rail that goes around a 3x3 block with alternating residential and commercial sections on the outside and a police station, fire station, or school on the inside.

If you go the factory that is also a train ride out to the edge of the map.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

What in the gently caress.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

I dunno, I get the feeling some folks here unironically think the SimCity solution of literally replacing all roads with railroads is the best thing that can be done in the long run.

Can you link me to the thread you’re reading? That sounds loving wild.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

do yourself a favor and dont listen to your feelings

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
There are some people who live on silly islands in this thread who have advocated eliminating all freeways within built up areas or other similar things that would harm pedestrians, bikers, drivers, and transit users alike. But they're rather a minority.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Is public transportation even universally better for the environment than electric cars? It seems like it would vary regionally 100% by what fuel types the public transport took and the local electricity generation type.

If the idea is we would bulldoze all of America and just rebuild from scratch it seems either could be sustainable.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bunni-kat posted:

Can you link me to the thread you’re reading? That sounds loving wild.

Here's a good example:

iSimian posted:

A city will need a delivery system for goods and stuff, but one could go the route of Zermatt, Switzerland where this is done by small electric carts in the city centre. That way you can have logistical hubs outside. Other than that, I would like to see more separation of traffic and pedestrians either way, so better city planning is a net bonus. And yeah, lidar, as mentioned, is coming on new cars as well.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is public transportation even universally better for the environment than electric cars? It seems like it would vary regionally 100% by what fuel types the public transport took and the local electricity generation type.

Electric public transportation, as in use since the late 19th century, certainly is better than moving the same people by cars using the same power plants to feed the grid.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

fishmech posted:

Electric public transportation, as in use since the late 19th century, certainly is better than moving the same people by cars using the same power plants to feed the grid.

Yeah, if we are designing America from a blank slate you’d make that. But in the real world as it exists there are places your choices are a gasoline powered bus or an electric car powered by hydroelectric or geothermal or nuclear.

It’s not a simple universal truth all public transit is more environmental in all cases

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Here's a good example:

you only had to dig back nine months for that one huh

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, if we are designing America from a blank slate you’d make that. But in the real world as it exists there are places your choices are a gasoline powered bus or an electric car powered by hydroelectric or geothermal or nuclear.

It’s not a simple universal truth all public transit is more environmental in all cases

No, my choice is electric train to an occasional electric bus when it's not an electrified trolley or trolley-bus. Sometimes I must take diesel light rail that is nevertheless less emissions at all for passengers than my old Subaru.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

fishmech posted:

No, my choice is electric train to an occasional electric bus when it's not an electrified trolley or trolley-bus. Sometimes I must take diesel light rail that is nevertheless less emissions at all for passengers than my old Subaru.

Who cares what your specific choices are? What does that matter to anything?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Electric busses are better than trains for some uses anyway. So even in a transit planner's most exteme fantasies, there'll still be roads. You could take a zipcar to costco or a uhaul to the nearest highway (just outside city limits) as much as you like, as long as you follow the traffic rules designed to let busses and pedestrians move unimpeded.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Who cares what your specific choices are? What does that matter to anything?
You claimed some non-specific people have certain choices. It turns out that many specific people have different choices. This seems highly relevant to your claim about the availability of choices.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ditocoaf posted:

Electric busses are better than trains for some uses anyway. So even in a transit planner's most exteme fantasies, there'll still be roads. You could take a zipcar to costco or a uhaul to the nearest highway (just outside city limits) as much as you like, as long as you follow the traffic rules designed to let busses and pedestrians move unimpeded.

even if we could make people teleport, you still have to move things around, from merchandise to solid waste

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Public transit is better at supporting more density, and having more people on less land means you can leave more nature undeveloped.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
Even leaving existing car ownership rates, just moving to using a bike on gorgeous days or short trips, if multiplied times all the people currently using their cars, would have a measurable difference in congestion, pollution, road wear, and a nation's health.

It doesn't have to be a car-less, bike mandated, gay space colony to encourage people to use a bike just a little more often.

One program Reykjavik does is to have a car free commute month in our nicest weather (I think it's in July, the program) where there is a city wide competition of which company can move the most percentage of their workforce by human power (walking, jogging, biking, skating, etc). Totally voluntary but people participate every year and I'm sure the paltry sum used to maintain the program is recouped from the benefits of less car use. Little things like this, useable safe bike Lanes, showers at workplaces, bike racks to lock your bike, etc, can add up.

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Apr 27, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Cicero posted:

Public transit is better at supporting more density, and having more people on less land means you can leave more nature undeveloped.

I mean, in some ideal blank slate world. But, It's unlikely that like, cities that exist are going to return to wilderness any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Don't be dense, many cities are still growing in population; adopting a denser urban form that relies on walking+transit over cars more means less expanding outwards.