Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Man the difficulty curve in this game is SEVERE. Going from 2 skulls to 2.5 is at LEAST a doubling in difficulty. 2 skull missions I could count on completing with a lance of 2-3 mediums, maybe a heavy, and a light and expect to face a lance or a lance+1 with a vehicle or three. On a 2.5 skull mission expect to be outnumbered 2-1 with at least 1 heavy if not more, plus several mediums and a few lights. It is not a linear increase in difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Back Hack posted:

A fully spec tac pilot in a MG equipped Firestarter is a headcapping monster. Dekker is death incarnate. :stare:

I'm not following, what does tactics do for machine guns?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Called shot bonus I think

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

El Spamo posted:

Man the difficulty curve in this game is SEVERE. Going from 2 skulls to 2.5 is at LEAST a doubling in difficulty. 2 skull missions I could count on completing with a lance of 2-3 mediums, maybe a heavy, and a light and expect to face a lance or a lance+1 with a vehicle or three. On a 2.5 skull mission expect to be outnumbered 2-1 with at least 1 heavy if not more, plus several mediums and a few lights. It is not a linear increase in difficulty.

The skull rating is really suspect and not at all reliable. I've had 3 skull missions with only a few medium mechs as the target, and 2.5 skull missions with several mediums and a heavy.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

I think tactics allows for the called shot ability, which allows you to spray the lightly armored head with a shitton of bullets

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I'm really enjoying that the force composition seems to vary wildly even at the same difficulty level. You never quite know what you're going to be dealing with.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

Unzip and Attack posted:

What are the best methods for killing enemy pilots via knockdown?

Jumpjet Curb Stomp

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I really like the idea of an unreliable difficulty and the expectation that sometimes you’re just supposed to bug out early, or just run like hell for the objective. But I’m not sure the maps are large enough to really make that kind of escape a possibility.

Dazzo
Jun 22, 2006

Is it just me, or do mid-battle saves not actually generate? For some reason I'll save throughout a battle but those saves don't seem to get created since they don't popup on my save list.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Kenshin posted:

Called shot bonus I think

IAmThatIs posted:

I think tactics allows for the called shot ability, which allows you to spray the lightly armored head with a shitton of bullets

Interesting. It's really annoying that when you mouse over the the pilot abilities that are not 5 & 8 it does not show what they do. What # skill is Called Shot Bonus in Tactics and does anyone know of a decent list of all the skill pips and what they do?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I really like the idea of an unreliable difficulty and the expectation that sometimes you’re just supposed to bug out early, or just run like hell for the objective. But I’m not sure the maps are large enough to really make that kind of escape a possibility.

There's a withdraw button. There's also a button to eject a MechWarrior.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

There's a reason that the game distinguishes between good faith withdrawals and bad faith withdrawals, and that they're both something you do on occasion. If you crest a hill and see an enemy lance that out-tons you by more than you can handle, you can just radio them and say "Yo! We're running the gently caress away because the Capellan who hired us, who lives at address XYZ, does not have the budget to pay for mercenaries capable of taking you on. Call us if you need someone bumped off when you're visiting them."

Sure, you don't get paid and the Capellans are annoyed they have to replace their merc contact. But you can survive both of those, right?

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I know you can complete the main objective and extract or withdraw if it's obvious it's going to be a nightmare (assaulting a base defended by turrets and a lance or two), but it's just so hard for me not to get greedy. At this point my repair bills are getting so enormous it's obvious I need to start assessing my ROI for each scenario.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There's a withdraw button. There's also a button to eject a MechWarrior.

What are they?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

What are they?

What or where? I assume where, because what is exactly what they say on the tin. The withdraw button is in the top-right, the eject button is next to your mechs paperdoll when you click on it in the bottom left (button itself is on the top right of the paperdoll, I think).

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

What are they?

Withdraw is in the top right, labeled as such. Eject is in the on the mech status screen in the bottom left, a little box with an arrow pointing up.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Interesting. It's really annoying that when you mouse over the the pilot abilities that are not 5 & 8 it does not show what they do. What # skill is Called Shot Bonus in Tactics and does anyone know of a decent list of all the skill pips and what they do?

Answered my own question, the skills for each level are explained in Eck's awesome guide on Steam.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1365402907

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Coldforge posted:

The skull rating is really suspect and not at all reliable. I've had 3 skull missions with only a few medium mechs as the target, and 2.5 skull missions with several mediums and a heavy.

True. I had a 2 skull vs 8 mechs.

VVV How much ammo for AC20 would you carry?

pokie fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 26, 2018

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Zore posted:

Anyone have a good Orion build? Mine seems to suck even compared to my other heavies.

4x MLAS, AC20, SRM6, full armor, and the rest in heat sinks seems like it might work.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Does ammo actually expend or are the ammo components basically just permanently slotting in ammo?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deuce posted:

Does ammo actually expend or are the ammo components basically just permanently slotting in ammo?

You get an ammo refill for free between missions, although I'm sure someone would and probably should mod that in at some point.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Deuce posted:

You can run out in a mission, but the components refill between missions (think of the ammo containers as a big armored box for the ammo with systems to take that ammo to the weapons, that's the component you're installing)

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Deuce posted:

Ammo stops exploding when at least half a bin has been expended (it'll say "ammo destroyed" instead of "ammo explosion" if critted). Not sure if the "crit slot" ever goes away, though.

E: also I may have misunderstood your question.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I do have one mechanical concern: if you click through all your noncombat moves at once, you can get them all processed even if they would normally be interrupted by enemy contact, which makes it an annoyingly time-sensitive operation for optimal play in an otherwise turn-based game.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

That Italian Guy posted:

Ammo stops exploding when at least half a bin has been expended (it'll say "ammo destroyed" instead of "ammo explosion" if critted). Not sure if the "crit slot" ever goes away, though.

E: also I may have misunderstood your question.

You did but this is also useful information!

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
The decision to make the tutorial a mandatory 1.5 hours where you can begin the game with your starting character in the med bay for several months is one of the most astoundingly bad gameplay designs I have ever seen.

I mean it's funny and all but cool, an entire 2 hours wasted.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Taintrunner posted:

You get an ammo refill for free between missions, although I'm sure someone would and probably should mod that in at some point.

:argh:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Unzip and Attack posted:

The decision to make the tutorial a mandatory 1.5 hours where you can begin the game with your starting character in the med bay for several months is one of the most astoundingly bad gameplay designs I have ever seen.

I gather you did not play XCOM

and also this vvvvvvvvvvvv

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Unzip and Attack posted:

starting with your PC in the medbay is an ignorable problem and people who restart over it are dumb

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Unzip and Attack posted:

So just send someone else? I'm not understanding the issue.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

It's pretty possible actually thanks to jumpsets and sprint granting evasion. Sometimes when I kill a convoy, I size up the enemy reinforcements and decide if it's easier to just run vs tear them apart at the cost of my own mechs taking a beating. You take quite a bit less damage running in this game, and sprint is really good if you do field faster mechs.

If you got some slow rear end poo poo though then good luck.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So, is there anywhere that has a list of known game bugs? I've encountered a glitch with enemy Shadowhawks twice now, and want to see if it's just me. During a match, if I crit the AC/5 of an enemy SHD, it'll turn red on the mech readout, but not only will the AI still fire it, it'll gain a second one. I'm not talking about the 'double bullet' effect all AC/5's have, I mean that it will fire those double bullets, then fire them again. This is more annoying than anything else, I'm usually well on the way to killing the mech by the time I crit the AC/5, but if it happens with other, heavier mechs later in the game it's going to become a big problem.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I do have one mechanical concern: if you click through all your noncombat moves at once, you can get them all processed even if they would normally be interrupted by enemy contact, which makes it an annoyingly time-sensitive operation for optimal play in an otherwise turn-based game.

I have noticed this and for a time thought it may have been an adjustment to the game itself before I realized it was just "if you're quick." I actually kind of like it and feel like maybe giving everyone a free move right at the start isn't a bad idea, but I have a feeling it could be exploited somehow. Hopefully they'll either implement it as a change or take it out, because trying to finagle it is kind of unfortunate.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Unzip and Attack posted:

Heh yeah but it seems intentionally harsh to teach exactly the lesson that people just pointed out. I'm sure it does turn plenty of players off though

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

buhahahahaa first hit the thing took was a punch and it was a good one

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Well I still don't have a heavy (I've got 2/3 of two) but I have 3 shadowhawks now and they go all day and all night. Hardly spend a moment waiting on repairs any more.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

When does the game generate new contracts for you? I know someone said that you can travel to another system but that costs money...

My dude, travel to a different planet, it probably cost more waiting to refresh than if you went to a system and took some jobs

(((opportunity cost)))

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

MMF Freeway posted:

Heh yeah but it seems intentionally harsh to teach exactly the lesson that people just pointed out. I'm sure it does turn plenty of players off though

What lesson exactly? I mean they already make your character literally immortal, so unless the lesson is "you shouldn't have too much fun" I fail to see what we should be learning as players.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Unzip and Attack posted:

What lesson exactly? I mean they already make your character literally immortal, so unless the lesson is "you shouldn't have too much fun" I fail to see what we should be learning as players.

"if you have too much downtime due to medbay, hire a warm body for a quarter of the price of an LRM battery and stuff it in a cockpit"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

pokie posted:

True. I had a 2 skull vs 8 mechs.

VVV How much ammo for AC20 would you carry?

I usually go for 10 shots with whatever I've got, so that's 2 tons. 1 ton AC/20 ammo is only 5 shots, no way that's enough.