Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

There's a chance for three enforcer parts to spawn at the Weldry store once you get the Argo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Some weight-limited terrain types like frozen ice or mud that could trap heavy/assault mechs could be cool.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also do Urbies ever spawn in missions or do you just have to pray you find one in a store like Poptartsninja did on stream?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Zore posted:

in beta if a Light moved at all during its turn it got the full 50% dodge which made them a lot hardier than they are in the game now and made alpha strike shiving bigger Mechs in the back with them pretty decent.

Dodge is still just dodge though, it's still a 50% chance to eat an AC20 to the face so you'd never stick a seasoned pilot into a Light. Something better would probably be a passive that gave Bulwark as long as you have evasion pips. Restrict it to lights/mediums only if jumping Heavies/Assaults abusing it is too good.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
OK am I crazy or is every Battle contract a complete clusterfuck/broken? I've only done two so far, both rated two skulls, and both had the same thing happen. The first dumped a mixed heavy lance on me, and then a medium lance of combat monsters like Hunchback laserboats for good measure. Then the second was the target vehicle lance of basically nothing but LRM carriers, with a helping of a medium 'Mech lance to kill everything that had just had its face sanded off with hundreds of missiles.

Good god, I hope this is just an incredibly bad glitch. I should note that I've been having a good time with the game overall but this probably should've been caught before launch if it is this noticeable a glitch.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Bubbacub posted:

Some weight-limited terrain types like frozen ice or mud that could trap heavy/assault mechs could be cool.
This is a good idea. I like some of the terrain in the game but I feel like there should be more extreme stuff that bogs down anything >50T or so.

Instead of making it a full drop weight restriction, make it a soft restriction, like a 50% movement penalty or something. You still could bring a Heavy or Assault mech with you if you equipped it to use jumpjets or just left it as an LRM boat, but that could be pretty fun.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Holybat posted:

OK am I crazy or is every Battle contract a complete clusterfuck/broken? I've only done two so far, both rated two skulls, and both had the same thing happen. The first dumped a mixed heavy lance on me, and then a medium lance of combat monsters like Hunchback laserboats for good measure. Then the second was the target vehicle lance of basically nothing but LRM carriers, with a helping of a medium 'Mech lance to kill everything that had just had its face sanded off with hundreds of missiles.

Good god, I hope this is just an incredibly bad glitch. I should note that I've been having a good time with the game overall but this probably should've been caught before launch if it is this noticeable a glitch.

I think the reinforcements are bugged. I avoid Battle missions currently.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Coldforge posted:

Glitch is the best; Dekker always dies.

So it goes.

Dekker hasn't died on me yet, but I'm definitely naming the medbay in his honor. I can come back from a mission with pristine mechs and he's still spending at least a month in there because a machinegun bullet pinged off the head and he had a panic attack.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Holybat posted:

Not a glitch, missions roll behind the scenes to be harder or easier than their skull rating. You can do a 'good faith' withdrawl if you get hosed by way more enemies than the contract indicated which means you only get minor rewards, but no penalties.

Sounds like you just got screwed by some bad faith employers :v:

I've seen everything in Battle contracts from a straight up 4v4 lance fight to clusterfucks like you're describing.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

Kenshin posted:

I think the reinforcements are bugged. I avoid Battle missions currently.

Yeah, I'm not convinced it's just a bad faith employer shenanigans thing, mainly because Darius helpfully popped up after I managed to kill everything (at the cost of Dekker becoming a bloody spray across the countryside of course) with the notice that there were incoming reinforcements. This was about four seconds before he said "good job mission accomplished"

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Baiard posted:

Generally I haven't found the game difficult at all, I lost my main character on the first mission and just now on another story mission and those are the only losses so far. I think it's the third story mission. You have to destroy two lances worth of mechs while assaulting a base full of turrets and kill escaping vehicles that are carrying ammunition. I brought a bad setup and I refused to blow up any ammo stashes. The setup was an almost entirely melee Dragon, a Jager with too many guns, a random medium with too many guns, and a Kintaro with no armor and 3 LRMs.

I tried it three times and finally beat it on the third try. Bunch of time wasted on those two failures. It came down to the wire with my character getting his dragon cored out against the last two enemy mechs, and everyone was just meleeing each other with barely alive chassis. The armorless LRM boat ran in at the end to help with the brawl.

It feels like you can get pretty far in this game even with terrible setups.

That mission was somewhat of a grind for me, and I had been lucky (!?) enough to salvage a Black Knight that Glitch headshotted twice. I kitted it out with dual PPCs instead of the disco it is stock. I also had a Dragon, Trebuchet and JagerMech with me. Had to basically keep heading west to stay out LRM tower range while getting harassed by two PPC snipers and 3 light mechs and another Dragon. Made it out with just a few arms shot off, Dragon with AC10++ was fast enough to get to a position to kill the ammo carriers.

I'm also sitting on a lot of 2/3 heavy mechs I actually want to use instead of a Black Knight from unfortunate salvaging.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Is it just me or is the Dragon way slower than it should be?

I was just thinking that when I got mine. A heavy that moves just as fast as my Shadowhawk? Count me in...why is it so slower?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Deuce posted:

Except when the light lance you massacre gets that one stray SRM hit to the head on three of your pilots so they're all out for 20 days :argh:

hire more guys

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So I've been rolling with two centurians and two nighthawks, only having just done the prison mission. My centurions are each using three SRM6s and a couple M lasers, while the nighthawks are mainly being used as AC20 delivery systems with breaching shot pilots.

The first mission I did after the prison break had an Orion. One of my SRMs managed to hit the head for one injury. I toppled it for a second injury, and then blew out a side torso for a third injury. Full three salvage parts, which I picked up at the end.

I went straight from a 55 being my heaviest mech to a 75 with the Orion pickup. How should I arm an Orion? It doesn't seem to have any particular specialization, with a mix of all of the weapon types.

I really want a mech that can mount two AC20s. They are probably my favorite weapon so far. I enjoy their stability damage and instant part deletion.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 27, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Impermanent posted:

hire more guys

Yeah

Pilots are cheap, robots arent

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I just discovered that using multi-shot activates breaching shot if you only fire one weapon at a given target.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Filthy Monkey posted:

So I've been rolling with two centurians and two nighthawks, only having just done the prison mission. My centurions are each using three SRM6s and a couple M lasers, while the nighthawks are mainly being used as AC20 delivery systems with breaching shot pilots.

The first mission I did after the prison break had an Orion. One of my SRMs managed to hit the head for one injury. I toppled it for a second injury, and then blew out a side torso for a third injury. Full three salvage parts, which I picked up at the end.

I went straight from a 55 being my heaviest mech to a 75 with the Orion pickup. How should I arm an Orion? It doesn't seem to have any particular specialization, with a mix of all of the weapon types.

I really want a mech that can mount two AC20s. They are probably my favorite weapon so far. I enjoy their stability damage and instant part deletion.

I'm starting to dislike my Orions if only because you are forced to equally spread out weapon types. Since it's slow as poo poo you gotta armour it up and when you do so you can only really carry a handful of weapons.

AC20, SRM4, 2x MLas works fine but still doesn't feel that great. Hell my Thunderbolts are scarier.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Eej posted:

I'm starting to dislike my Orions if only because you are forced to equally spread out weapon types. Since it's slow as poo poo you gotta armour it up and when you do so you can only really carry a handful of weapons.

AC20, SRM4, 2x MLas works fine but still doesn't feel that great. Hell my Thunderbolts are scarier.

My most successful Orion build was just 2 LRM-20s, 4 tons of ammo and max armor. Glitch spent most fights in it, and she was the only original pilot to survive the campaign for me!

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Man I love having this centurion LRM boat, no kidding they are fun. 2x LRM 15, 1x LRM 10 and 3 ammo, everyone gets all the missles on their head forever. Bonus that he has the plus one initiative and can knockdown most anyone by himself

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Because I was watching a few Battletech videos, Youtube suggested I watch Arch Warhammer, aka the Alt-Right guy that can't help but throw racial slurs around when talking about various warhammer races.

I clicked it for a very specific reason: I wanted to know what was in the comments.

The whining is real. They are so massively angry, and dunking on them is too easy.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

evilmiera posted:

Because I was watching a few Battletech videos, Youtube suggested I watch Arch Warhammer, aka the Alt-Right guy that can't help but throw racial slurs around when talking about various warhammer races.

I clicked it for a very specific reason: I wanted to know what was in the comments.

The whining is real. They are so massively angry, and dunking on them is too easy.

Please don't link it but at least share some sample screenshots of these poor manchildren who are so angry that there are people who prefer the pronoun "They" in the grim darkness of Battletech future.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Those drat progressive space feudalists

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
lights are good in skirmish mode imo. they work really well as a hard to hit distraction / flanking force, and a light can take down far more than its tonnage with a good back shot. the starting locust is absolute trash, but the spider is pretty decent, especially if you pull out two jumpjets for two small lasers. you just need more firepower to deal with heavy mechs as the game progresses.

i mananged to get good use out of a firestarter in a four skull extraction campaign tho. i used the firestarter to run in and grab the extraction target, and then run away along the edge of the map. a full lance of heavy mechs peeled off to chase my firestarter, turning what would have been a 4v8 match into two 3v4 matches. i even got to flame some heavy mechs with the firestarter once the numbers were clearly in my favor.

personally, i think they should make it so dropping with a lighter lance than the difficulty is what gives bonus rep. nobody is taking less money/salvage for a rep bonus, but giving people an incentive to actually use lights/mediums in the end game would be very good. plus, "we like these mercs more because their scout lance trashed a lance of enemy heavies" is better fluff than "we like these mercs more because they don't ask for their fair pay".

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

evilmiera posted:

The nexus between "tactical wargames" and "loving nazis" sure is a thing

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Well, you asked for it!

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
The starmap and reputation system feel very superfluous - I wish there was more meat there. Some reason for me to go to different star systems other than the hope of getting lucky with the market and getting a different set of random missions.

I am also noticing a distinct lack of Urbanmechs. I think my first mod/edit will be to replace the starter lance with urbies.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Does this mean I can play Battletech with random pubbies and not get called "fag" constantly?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

UberJew posted:

My most successful Orion build was just 2 LRM-20s, 4 tons of ammo and max armor. Glitch spent most fights in it, and she was the only original pilot to survive the campaign for me!

Ah yeah I didn't think of turning it into a Catapult, maybe I'll give that a spin and use my Thuds as brawlers.

Also I kinda don't want them to remove the 4v8 reinforcement bug because the AI sucks at straight up Lance vs Lance. The last 4v8 I did I was stuck in the bottom of a valley and I ended up ejecting 3 of my pilots at the end. My MC was the third pilot to eject and spent five turns watching his Orion burn down around him with only a single MLas functioning spotting for Glitch who eventually ran out of LRMs and had to run in to finish things up close and personal after my MC punched out with both torsos gone and only one leg to stand on.

Of course the part that makes it all Battletech is that the only salvage I got was my third Thunderbolt 5SE and one Catapult K2 piece and a bunch of garbage medium mech pieces.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Good lord it is hilarious that people are angry about there not being enough "white people" in a far-future space mech battle game.

"This "Bible" book sucks, there aren't any Scandinavians in it at all"

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

rt4 posted:

Does this mean I can play Battletech with random pubbies and not get called "fag" constantly?

I loving hope so!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Back Hack posted:

I was just thinking that when I got mine. A heavy that moves just as fast as my Shadowhawk? Count me in...why is it so slower?
Cause the mobility stat doesn't make a big difference in terms of ground movement. For example, dragon moves like one extra tile compared to the jager before sprinting. Dragon should be very similar to a Shadowhawk IIRC.

Jump jets on the other hand - the more of those you equip you can easily surpass your ground coverage.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 27, 2018

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Eej posted:

Ah yeah I didn't think of turning it into a Catapult, maybe I'll give that a spin and use my Thuds as brawlers.

Also I kinda don't want them to remove the 4v8 reinforcement bug because the AI sucks at straight up Lance vs Lance. The last 4v8 I did I was stuck in the bottom of a valley and I ended up ejecting 3 of my pilots at the end. My MC was the third pilot to eject and spent five turns watching his Orion burn down around him with only a single MLas functioning spotting for Glitch who eventually ran out of LRMs and had to run in to finish things up close and personal after my MC punched out with both torsos gone and only one leg to stand on.

Of course the part that makes it all Battletech is that the only salvage I got was my third Thunderbolt 5SE and one Catapult K2 piece and a bunch of garbage medium mech pieces.

Here's one of my 3 skull difficulty assassination missions.
That's a Dragon, 2 Quickdraws, 2 Hunchbacks, 1 Thunderbolt, 1 Cataphract, 2 griffins, a Panther, and a Demolisher tank (dual ac/20s) all converging in a single point.
I had 1 heavy mech at this point.

So... I hope they fix the bug. I just avoid Assassination missions now.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Good lord it is hilarious that people are angry about there not being enough "white people" in a far-future space mech battle game.

"This "Bible" book sucks, there aren't any Scandinavians in it at all"

There are so many more angry posts. So many.

I'd post more but then the thread would miss out on discussing an actually good game.

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.
Is a Banshee build with all small lasers, maxed jump jets, and two DFA augments a good idea?

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

evilmiera posted:

There are so many more angry posts. So many.

I'd post more but then the thread would miss out on discussing an actually good game.

Drop by CSPAM, there's a few threads on that would appreciate this

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

The Saddest Robot posted:

Here's one of my 3 skull difficulty assassination missions.
That's a Dragon, 2 Quickdraws, 2 Hunchbacks, 1 Thunderbolt, 1 Cataphract, 2 griffins, a Panther, and a Demolisher tank (dual ac/20s) all converging in a single point.
I had 1 heavy mech at this point.

So... I hope they fix the bug. I just avoid Assassination missions now.

Sounds like a fair fight to me :black101:

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
BattleTech a.k.a. A Song of Orientalism and Red Panic is definitely a stable platform from which to accuse others of bigotry.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Finally getting a chance to play this game, and so far it seems like the best btech implementation yet.

Quick Question: In the early game when negotiating contracts, it is better to push for salvage, money, or a balance of the two? I've heard some conflicting things about the value of salvage.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
The trebuchet is one scary-rear end medium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!

Eldragon posted:

Finally getting a chance to play this game, and so far it seems like the best btech implementation yet.

Quick Question: In the early game when negotiating contracts, it is better to push for salvage, money, or a balance of the two? I've heard some conflicting things about the value of salvage.

Salvage is better so long has you have a health cash reserve but it can be pretty hit and miss.