Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

LGD posted:

it’s great that ballistics are actually good though, needing everything to be a laser boat is boring as hell

Agreed, I fukkin love ACs and I'm excited for LBXs and UACs with the Stability system.

Is there a Heavy that can just run around with 3x UAC5s and all the Flamers? I want that mech in an expansion or sequel so I can just knock people down and also set them on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ciaphas posted:

What niche do PPCs have, besides one for comedy shot difficulty debuff I guess?

Sniper energy weapon. They're most useful on Heavies/Assaults.

I use one on my Assault LRM boat.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The Saddest Robot posted:

Good idea? Or great idea?

Terrible idea. Replace the lasers with smalls.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Anyways people are talking about the Argo upgrades or whatever and is it worth rushing story missions until I get to that point? Or is it recommended to just go slow and enjoy the journey on the Leopard until I have a better mech roster than just the starters + centurion?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the leopard is basically an extended tutorial. do the weldry story mission and then have fun doin' what you want.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Holy poo poo Smithon is kicking my rear end. 2 skulls? Really? You're outnumbered 2 to 1 how the gently caress is that 2 skulls

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Oh man, I was playing on my first martian map (which is a bit deserty), while playing the MW2: Mercs soundtrack, because the soundtrack for the game is the only thing I find underwhelming. All of a sudden this starts to play and I flashback to the New Ivaarsen campaign in MW2: mercs where you're bait for an assault lance in the middle of a sandstorm. It was martian terrain and I was only fighting lights, but close enough to awaken my nostalgia. :v:. I feel all comfy now. :3:

Here's a dude's Let's Play of the New Ivaarsen Campaign. The start.

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Man I love having this centurion LRM boat, no kidding they are fun. 2x LRM 15, 1x LRM 10 and 3 ammo, everyone gets all the missles on their head forever. Bonus that he has the plus one initiative and can knockdown most anyone by himself

I think I'll stick with an LRM 25 on my cent with some backup weapons, if I salvage another brawler to refit it to a LRM boat.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 28, 2018

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
There's a beta patch out.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/battletech-1-0-1-release-notes-beta.1092920/

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Impermanent posted:

the leopard is basically an extended tutorial. do the weldry story mission and then have fun doin' what you want.

Oh lol I didn't realize it was literally the next mission, I thought it would be later in the game.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Control Volume posted:

Anyways people are talking about the Argo upgrades or whatever and is it worth rushing story missions until I get to that point? Or is it recommended to just go slow and enjoy the journey on the Leopard until I have a better mech roster than just the starters + centurion?

Don't, like, rush rush directly to it if you're doing ok, but it's an automatic upgrade in tech and medical points, and you can quickly get even more from there for not too much cash. The game opens up significantly once you get it.

After the moon mission I basically slowly planet-hopped to Weldry, doing contracts as I went - got an extra Shadow Hawk out of it, which helped team composition.

Small tip for Weldry, minor spoilers - the enemy mechs are mostly long-range spec, so once you blow the doors and trigger them, pull back and let them funnel themselves through the gap to you.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Ciaphas posted:

long range energy sniping
energy weapons that cause stability

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Man I love having this centurion LRM boat, no kidding they are fun. 2x LRM 15, 1x LRM 10 and 3 ammo, everyone gets all the missles on their head forever. Bonus that he has the plus one initiative and can knockdown most anyone by himself

Well now this build sounds right up my alley. Let it rain!

Pretty fun game so far, I just had to quit out for the first time (during the first mission to secure the Argo) cause my framerate took a nosedive.

I'm really, really good at letting my scout mechs get too far ahead and get blow'd the gently caress up.

Do AC's have a bonus against light vehicles/tanks? Or is it just confirmation bias where it seems like one ac burst brews up a tank while it'll happily eat 4 M Laser blasts. And yes, I know the best method is to stomp the little fuckers.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Hm I wonder which I should buy :thunk:

it's both

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Radio Free Kobold posted:

long range energy sniping
energy weapons that cause stability

got me on the stability, but isn't long range energy sniping what LLs are for?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Got trolled by a mission description. It mentions heavy stuff, so I went all in on salvage. The first target was a dual-AC/20 tank, which is impressive enough, so I was expecting something juicy for reinforcements.

3 locusts and a Griffin.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

OddObserver posted:

Got trolled by a mission description. It mentions heavy stuff, so I went all in on salvage. The first target was a dual-AC/20 tank, which is impressive enough, so I was expecting something juicy for reinforcements.

3 locusts and a Griffin.

:xcom:

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Arrath posted:

Do AC's have a bonus against light vehicles/tanks? Or is it just confirmation bias where it seems like one ac burst brews up a tank while it'll happily eat 4 M Laser blasts. And yes, I know the best method is to stomp the little fuckers.

Probably the second. Remember that most light vehicles have like seven internal hp and fairly poor armour in any one spot, so a single hit from an AC/5 or 10 is usually fatal. They're actually a decent demonstration of why high-damage single-shot weapons like PPCs or AC/10s can be really nice despite their large tonnage/heat requirements - a few missile weapons might just sandpaper the little fuckers instead of punching through.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ciaphas posted:

got me on the stability, but isn't long range energy sniping what LLs are for?

PPC have longer range.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Coldforge posted:

Just got my King Crab 0000 after sniping it with my Gauss :dance:

Just fought my first one. I got super lucky and it was my first target, so I could focus it down rather quickly.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

For steam users if you do this and validate files like it suggests, it will wipe your custom logos so back that up first. I imagine it will also wipe any modded config files.

Zore posted:

PPC have longer range.

also hit harder and do that EMP damage, I like PPCs a lot over LLs

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Why isn't there a mod to keep ammo and heatsinks from counting as salvage?

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah I dislike the fact that it's an extremely hot AC5, which doesn't even have the same range as a LRM. I'd be ok with it's tonnage and heat if it was accurate and had slightly longer range. gently caress the debuff, I know next to gently caress all about the accuracy debuff anyway. How many rounds does it last? If it's only to the end of the current round it's useless, since your PPC carriers are reserving till the end for others to depip the enemy.

NmareBfly posted:

Hm I wonder which I should buy :thunk:

it's both

Woah you got a King Crab already?! :eyepop:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Control Volume posted:

Oh lol I didn't realize it was literally the next mission, I thought it would be later in the game.

I posted something like this earlier in the thread but I enjoyed the garbagebucket phase and wish it was longer and more garbagebucket

and a jillion days for refit and repair was part of that

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Awww yeah, I managed to kill off the pilot rather than destroy the mech, and got my first King Crab all salvaged and ready to use. Just have to refit it and make it work a new role, and I'll see about displaying it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My mechwarriors sure do miss stationary targets ten times their size a lot. Like over half the time.

Jespass
Oct 17, 2012
So is this game meant to be so difficult? I'm trying to make some money but almost every side mission throws 8 or more mechs against me. Even 1 skull missions kick my teeth in.
Story wise I beat the prison mission but I am now slowly going bankrupt waiting for my mechs to repair.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
So, stuff that works for me so far:

-I loaded a heavy mech with a bunch of laser/small flamers and some arm actuators. It punches pretty well.
-Missle boats are lovely.
-I needed 3 tries for the spaceport mission. First time I forgot that hitting a building directly in front of you with an AC5 is like, 40% odds, so I killed all enemies but failed in the last turn to take out the objective. Second time, the Hunchback got lucky.

-I feel i understand the game well enough to defeat an enemy formation of my size/weight without losses. If they have more then 50% more stuff then I and are bunched up, I may well lose a mech. Against 100% more it gets dicey. Is this roughly the same for everyone else or am I doing something wrong/right?

Some helpfull methinks:

-AI seems to clasify targets into "still has armor" class, "has not armor at some spots" class and "is in danger of dying" class. It will attempt to target whoever is closest to dying, then whoever has armor issues, then the rest.
If multiple mechs are in the same class, AI will nearly always shoot at the closest target.
-Sometimes its best to make full use of the reserve function. Basically, ideally you want to move with your entire lance one after the other, without giving the enemy an opportunity to react. This makes it much easer to deal with evasion pips, knock people over etc.
-Dont underestimate the second morale skill, it does not end your turn and is basically a defensive buff.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

RBA Starblade posted:

My mechwarriors sure do miss stationary targets ten times their size a lot. Like over half the time.

Invest in gunnery skill, watch your optimal range. Get gud :clint:

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Jespass posted:

So is this game meant to be so difficult? I'm trying to make some money but almost every side mission throws 8 or more mechs against me. Even 1 skull missions kick my teeth in.
Story wise I beat the prison mission but I am now slowly going bankrupt waiting for my mechs to repair.

How are you negotiating salvage/c-bill rights? I think people might fall into the trap of "I NEED THREE GUARANTEED SALVAGE FOR A MECH" because the streamers might do it a lot or something. Also, don't forget to sell the salvage you've amassed over time! It's fairly substantial compared to the contract payout, even if you choose 2/X salvage rights or less. I think, I don't know if the stated salvage value is the buy value and that you'll sell it for 10% at a store.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Jespass posted:

Make sure your opponents are pirates, they usually have shoddy or ramshackle mechs, which gives them either 50% or 75% less armour. That makes being outnumbered much more manageable.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

OddObserver posted:

3 locusts and a Griffin.
I have a close to 100% success rate at picking high salvage on missions where I fight tanks and maybe a light mech and high cash when I end up fighting heavies that I headshot.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

same

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

School Nickname posted:

Yeah I dislike the fact that it's an extremely hot AC5, which doesn't even have the same range as a LRM. I'd be ok with it's tonnage and heat if it was accurate and had slightly longer range. gently caress the debuff, I know next to gently caress all about the accuracy debuff anyway. How many rounds does it last? If it's only to the end of the current round it's useless, since your PPC carriers are reserving till the end for others to depip the enemy.

Woah you got a King Crab already?! :eyepop:

It lasts for the targeted units next action. Check out the debuff on any of your units that are hit.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Behold. This is what peak performance looks like.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Though thinking about it negotiating a contract for a boatload of salvage because your employer implied there might be some Good poo poo only to fight so little enemies you don't even hit the salvage cap you negotiated while your employer laughs all the way to the bank is Extremely Battletech

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Thaaat's... probably impossible for me to run then, oh well! Cheers!

The performance is weird. I'm still packing a GTX 760 and getting a fairly consistent 40-50.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Just lost a plot mission because I didn't know you can't sensor lock buildings. :smith:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gwaihir posted:

Counterpoint it runs just fine on my laptop with a 950 mobile at 2560 * 1440.

Yea, I turned settings down, but the screenshot I posted above was taken on it.

The only time I run in to serious chugging is smoke effects- Either from the Martian biome, or landing Leopards.

660ti :v:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

That's better than a 950m

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Frida Call Me posted:

Behold. This is what peak performance looks like.

Even if your LRM boat isn't getting attacked much, is 10 extra missiles per volley really worth stripping all of your armor? Especially since you can still only fit the usual 3 ammo packs, which I've found myself running dry even with a more standard 20 + 15 + 5 LRM setup.

Putting 3 ammo inside a 40 front armor/0 rear armor center torso is also absolute loving madness.