Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

It's been a long time since I played tabletop with any tanks but I'm pretty sure the TT rules allow for criticals on vehicles even if you don't breach their armor, which takes the sting out of them a fair bit more than we're getting here. I like that some of them are terrifying. I just wish we had more. I want super fast hovercraft and VTOLs to shoot out of the sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The secret to killing tanks is that they have a small number of locations, terrible internal structure, and die upon the loss of any section. The heavier ones can pack quite a bit of armor, but if you hit them hard from one direction they will go down much faster than a mech of a similar weight.

Also a Shadowhawk stomp will gib basically anything under 80 tons since it's a guaranteed 180 damage to a single location.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
I must suck at building mechs is there a resource for "good" build for some of the starting mechs?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Speaking of builds, beyond very basic/obvious stuff, where should I be focusing upgrades to the spaceship? Things that straight up make mech repairs faster make sense, but vague things like "power grid improved" don't really explain themselves.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

mlmp08 posted:

Speaking of builds, beyond very basic/obvious stuff, where should I be focusing upgrades to the spaceship? Things that straight up make mech repairs faster make sense, but vague things like "power grid improved" don't really explain themselves.

Things like those are pre-reqs for other upgrades. I've just been queuing them up as I get spare cash.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Szcwczuk posted:

I must suck at building mechs is there a resource for "good" build for some of the starting mechs?

Dual AC-5 Blackjack is pretty good. Keep it in the back, use someone else (recon, in an uparmored Spider) to sensor lock then use the blackjack to deliver called shots if you've got the morale.

Shadowhawk makes for a nice brawler, max out the armor, load up 2xSRM6,SRM4,MLAS and max out the jets.

The Vindicator is somewhat trash, I guess some people like building it as an early ppc carrier, in which case you'd play it like the blackjack. Panther's also good in this role when you salvage one.

-edit-
If you can get yourself a centurion nice and early, it makes for a good early 2xLRM20 missile boat. Keep it in the back (or better yet, completely out of sight behind cover firing indirect only).

ragzilla fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 29, 2018

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
I ended up making a 2x LL 2x ML Blackjack, only to find out it is an actual variant. 20 less damage than the default but no ammo and no min range make it versatile. if you don't use the jump jets much strip them out for more heatsinks.

Does anyone else think the tanks are two small? A medium tank must have a crew of 3 but it is smaller than an atlas or highlanders head. Maybe I've just got Front Mission scale on the brain.

Edit: I ran an AC20 2x ML 2x SRM6 Centurion. It's not a fast mech but it makes legs and centre torsos disappear.

Erd fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 29, 2018

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
It loving sucks that all your equipment is trashed when you lose an arm or whatever. Makes running AC20s on the Jagermech prohibitively expenisive.

I wish the economics of the game were a little more forgiving. I can't sit around waiting for my dudes to heal because the monthly expenses are too much, and hiring extra dudes as spares adds a ton to your payroll so I can't do that either. I'm not really in danger of going bankrupt but some breathing room would be nice. Do I just have to farm a bunch of max payout missions?

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
So another question I have is about money. I am so poor all the time, like on the verge of bankruptcy constantly. When you finish a mission and get salvage you see this screen.

For this mission it says the value of this salvage is 4 million. Can you liquidate this completely?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I found this lostech called cheat engine that helps with the money situation :angel:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Erd posted:

Does anyone else think the tanks are two small? A medium tank must have a crew of 3 but it is smaller than an atlas or highlanders head. Maybe ive just got Front Mission scale on the brain.

Some of them weigh as much as assault mechs. What do they pack into those tiny little toy tanks?!

(the answer is your mom)

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Struggled to get a heavy since launch date, got two Jaeger mechs, outfitted one with an ac20 and some brawler stuff, and one with two lrm 15's and brawler stuff

Have bits for all these other heavies that I managed to screw up snagging.

Tonight I had an odd error, the enemy all turned purple, more so than Marik parade colours and when it zoomed in on a mech there was this weird roaring crash noise like an ocean combines with a plane taking off scream and people whispering, it lasted three matches.

Running with a Kintaro, two Jaegers and the original Blackjack.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Szcwczuk posted:

So another question I have is about money. I am so poor all the time, like on the verge of bankruptcy constantly. When you finish a mission and get salvage you see this screen.

For this mission it says the value of this salvage is 4 million. Can you liquidate this completely?

If you get 3 parts and sell a completed mech, it will be worth a lot of money.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Coucho Marx posted:

Also, this is probably the wrong thread to ask, but is XCOM 2 any good? I know a lot of us are probably here because of that series, and I've played loads of XCOM, but I bought 2 ages ago and never played it, and I don't remember if there be was a reason.

Oh, you know, only the best game in the last 5 years or so.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

wiegieman posted:

If you get 3 parts and sell a completed mech, it will be worth a lot of money.

Fighting battles is my part time job. Mostly I run a used light/medium mech dealership.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Szcwczuk posted:

Not even close.

The big money salvage there is the pieces of Shadow Hawk - but you can't sell those individual pieces, you can only sell completed 'Mechs, so you have to get a third piece for it to make you any cash.

Now, when you do have it, it sells for a good chunk of change - but nowhere near the "book value" of the 'Mech. Prices will vary as your reputation with a faction changes, though, so once you progress in the story and the main story faction loves you you can get decent prices in their stores - but still nowhere near what that salvage screen is telling you you have.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011

Szcwczuk posted:

If you sell it at the shop you will get between 1-10% of that value. Second hand depreciation.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Surprised to find out that this doesn't have drop tonnage limits. I loved MechCommander back in '98 and even that had missions with lower tonnage to force you into solving missions with something other than your four biggest mechs every so often.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It does have limits. It's just set to 400 on your deploy screen and never changes

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Kitfox88 posted:

I found this lostech called cheat engine that helps with the money situation :angel:

Given how open the game files are, you could probably just change the mission rewards to make cash more available.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Psykmoe posted:

Surprised to find out that this doesn't have drop tonnage limits. I loved MechCommander back in '98 and even that had missions with lower tonnage to force you into solving missions with something other than your four biggest mechs every so often.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see that later or in an expansion. It would help vary choices and gameplay.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Given how open the game files are, you could probably just change the mission rewards to make cash more available.

You can also just edit some file or another to change the money you start the campaign with from 910000 to whatever arbitrarily huge number you want if you don't wanna bother with an external program! i didn't find that out till after i'd already wrestled how to use CE on the values tho

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Szcwczuk posted:

The default multiplier for selling items is .32, which is made worse if you don't have standing in a system at all. So a medium laser (which has a value of 60,000) only sells for 19,200ish.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Unexpectedly good thing about fighting SRM carriers: they give you tons of upgraded SRM6s, I have 3 of my mechs with 2+ SRM6 each and they all deal 12 damage per missile :iia:

This also applies to medium lasers, if you check the big salvage pile at the end of every fight you can scrape a lot of upgraded MLs out of it. My mechs are all kitted out with +3 accuracy or +5/+10 damage on their MLs.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The difficulty indicator is really bad. I decided to start leveling up my B-team, just to have some crew on back up in case one of my main squad gets injured, so I took a 1 blip mission. The description said it was a full lance I was up against and having fought those in 2 blip difficulty missions, it wasn't too bad. Usually 3 or 4 Medium mechs with some vehicle support, if even that.

Ended up fighting against 3 Medium mechs, all piloted by skill pilots and 4 Light mechs also piloted by skills pilots all armed with PPCs. So how is this a 1 blip difficulty mission? It was the hardest mission in the game for me, so far. I ended up just bugging out once I saw the hardware. Is it relative to your average loadout and pilot skills? Did I get unlucky with RNG? Is the game just a buggy loving mess that needs some serious work? All of the above? Kind of throws a wrench in what I'd expect from missions since I've gotten very similar flavor text on higher blip missions and they weren't even a fraction as difficult as that one mission.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
LRM20s with +2 stability damage are just cruel.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

LRM20s with +2 stability damage are just cruel.

Often it feels like my lrm40 centurion does most of the work. I just stripped off some more armor and installed a 4th box of ammo...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ihmemies posted:

Often it feels like my lrm40 centurion does most of the work. I just stripped off some more armor and installed a 4th box of ammo...

Two of them are perfect for knocking out whatever mech you might want. Four rounds and it's yours.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Do autocannon bursts work like LRM/SRM barrages where each individual shot fired in the attack pulls ammo? Or is it one attack -> one unit of ammo spent? I'm not sure how much tonnage to devote to ammo for them.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It's one ammo per attack, even if you have one of the ACs that uses the burst fire animation.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I'm enjoying the space game of thrones story.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Goddamnit! I just had a nearly pristine Trebuchet in my sights, and in my mind I was already allocating the + and ++ LRM15s in my storage to it.

And how does this particular battle end? With my lance blasting the poor thing apart trying to hit the last remaining leg. Now I have a bunch of smoldering cables and metal scraps in storage. :argh:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Just got my first grasshopper.

:allears:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Great Beer posted:

I'm enjoying the space game of thrones story.

Game of Thrones would be so much better if it was about giant robots punching each other.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

It's one ammo per attack, even if you have one of the ACs that uses the burst fire animation.

cool, thanks

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is Ammo refilled between missions, or do you have to actually buy refills between missions?

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
I think the average player is not going to understand the bugged armor capacity at the moment. I sure didn't, and I was confused why my Battletech mechs couldn't carry as many weapons and other equipment compared to in MWO. I always max armor and don't even look at the numbers.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
It's refilled, but can get destroyed in which case you'll have to buy a new thing of ammo

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Night10194 posted:

Game of ThronesEverything would be so much better if it was about giant robots punching each other.

Fixed that for ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

theDOWmustflow posted:

I think the average player is not going to understand the bugged armor capacity at the moment. I sure didn't, and I was confused why my Battletech mechs couldn't carry as many weapons and other equipment compared to in MWO. I always max armor and don't even look at the numbers.

I didn't even notice the bug! I always make a plan of what weapons to fit, and just fill in the armor afterwards. If it weren't for this thread, I probably would have noticed this bug only after reading about it being fixed in the patch notes