Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

It's less about removing the large laser and replacing it with a PPC than it is about making sure the drivers still work properly :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

JacksLibido posted:

How is your lance built? I did panzyr with a 20/15/10/LRM 1mlas cent, a stock AC20 hunchback, the original shadow hawk that I put 2xSRM6 1xSRM4 1mlas, and a 3xSRM6 1mlas wolverine. The srm carriers all had max front chest armor and bulwark so I’d just sprint them to the bottom of the ramp and tank for days. The HBK did work on heavy dudes, but SRMs are king of the low weight classes.

I’ve had one mech cored and 0 losses even when out-weighed. It’s all about being super aggressive sprinting your bulwark mechs up early to prime locations then keeping them there as turrets while your other mechs move up and shoot. At low tonnages you won’t find anything better than SRMs for damage/weight considering lasers require heat sinks and SRMs will at least get SOME damage in. Then just use the lrm boat to crit seek.

So far I'm using a BJ with 2 AC/5s, Vindicator which is mostly stock but upgraded parts and removed a bit to uparmor it, a Centurion which is barfing missiles everywhere, and a Shadowhawk I switched to close range combat. I'm jumping them around trying to flank or take advantage of openings but it's not really working.

Maybe I'll switch to SRMs on the Centurion to help out the Shadowhawk, and definitely retire the BJ once I get anything else.

quote:

this is the question we probably should have asked earlier, i can't think of a single mission where i've been outnumbered by heavier mechs but if he's piloting his initial four mechs on two skulls i think i can see where it might get a little tricky

It's a lot of starter stuff yeah, I just haven't gotten the salvage to piece more together. The 10v4s are just always going to withdraw or reload though. :v:

I'm pretty comfortable sticking to 1.5 skulls max until I get a heavy or two now though. I can fairly consistently handle that until the reinforcements instant spawn.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 29, 2018

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Peven Stan posted:

I also like how slow the union goons who work in the mech bay are, it shouldn't take 2 weeks to refit a mech in the year 3027

There were no unions in Battletech until 3055, when the Teamsters Local 10,030 Memory Core was rediscovered

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Arrath posted:

The whole "starting a mission with the enemy reinforcements a-field" bit/bug is a little tough, sometimes.

I just had my first run-in with a demolisher tank, and an enemy Trebuchet. Well, that loving hurt. Now I know what it's like to be on the receiving end of endless missile barrages. The tank rolled down and hosed my Orion right up, while the Treb just made life a living hell. My own LRM-boat Cent spent the entire battle overheated as I just couldn't afford to stop slinging missiles. It got really, really hairy when my Shadowhawk got too close to their Enforcer, who naturally DFA'd me. The following 2 rounds of Called:CT shots against me were awfully fuckin knucklebiting. Luckily that same round I return-DFA'd that Enforcer with my Vindicator and knocked it over, probably saving my Shadowhawk.

By the end of it my SH was down a leg, and my Orion was missing it's ballistic torso and an arm, so it was just punching poo poo. Fuckin' brutal. Glitch is in the hospital for 60 days, my character for another 40.

My mechs? Hooo boy.

Might as well go for some R&R, folks. After the cost of repairing these guys I just might go flat rear end broke during the time it takes to fix them up. I don't think my Centurion even took any hits that penned its (minuscule) armor, but that's what running in the redzone for like 15 turns will do to you. And that BJ has been in the shop for 2 and a half months already, it keeps on getting pushed to the back of the line so I can field a lance.

I did get a shiny new Treb out of it, tho!

There's a grayed-out button below your task list that lets you re-order tasks. I didn't discover it until I clicked on it by accident. You only need four of those to be in good order to get going.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

PoptartsNinja posted:

"Plug and Play" was never invented in the BattleTech universe, they spend most of the time looking up board schematics so they can put "this microchip that looks a bit like that one there in about the same place."

As early as mechwarrior 2 refits were pretty much instantaneous. The absurd amount of time wasted waiting for stuff is a developer conspiracy to pad the game's length imo

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Hmm, the difficulty spikes in the story line missions sure are unpredictable.

Some is like, really drat easy, and could be done with a mixed medium/heavy lance (this mission happens at a time where you have access to assaults), the one right after that implies that you should take a mobile lance, given that it is a recovery mission, but in reality you should pick the heaviest stuff you got. The final parts invovles a medium/heavy and a light lance running at you, in a space where they have cover and you have literally no room to maneuver because you must stick all your mans to a very small area. This fight also happens after you dealt with a lot of other stuff first, so you are probably suffering from fairly sandpapererd armor and low ammo stores.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

What in the gently caress does all the extra tonnage go to in the banshee-3m? it's 10 tons heavier than my stalked but it can't fit nearly as many weapons and the armor seems to be comparable.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Peven Stan posted:

As early as mechwarrior 2 refits were pretty much instantaneous. The absurd amount of time wasted waiting for stuff is a developer conspiracy to pad the game's length imo

Mechwarrior 2 was clan tech and Omni Mechs tho

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

imweasel09 posted:

What in the gently caress does all the extra tonnage go to in the banshee-3m? it's 10 tons heavier than my stalked but it can't fit nearly as many weapons and the armor seems to be comparable.

It's faster. In TT and other games they make it clear that it has a huge engine taking all that space, but there's no such indicator here.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I just lost a story mission on turn 2 because of how fast ground vehicles are on roads.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

sebmojo posted:

Shouldn't think so. Both those tweaks were from reddit, so google the text and you'll probably find some q&a around them.

The OP is wrong - the text should be 00000001 for the registry key.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Battletechgame/comments/8f8wb4/psa_enable_debug_would_with_registry_key_always/

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

There's a grayed-out button below your task list that lets you re-order tasks. I didn't discover it until I clicked on it by accident. You only need four of those to be in good order to get going.

ohmygod

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Oh yeah, I know about that handy feature. I survived through the fixer upper phase and have moved on to several more missions, but my Orion hasn't even begun getting patched up yet. I want my big boy back!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Woooo Jagermech! Trying to decide between two AC-10s or seeing if I can work 3 AC-5s and some medium lasers.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Only reason I want clans in the future is so I can have the Vulture back. I just don't feel right without my Vultures.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Just had a great 2.5 skull base attack. First mission after getting the Argo went riiiight round the edge of the map, sniped turents baited enemy Mechs into my line of fire. Firestartered one down constant heat based hell and cored the rest with keen efficiency.

Then had my main character get landed on by the drop ship and spent 90 days in the medbay :downs:

The Skeleton King posted:

Only reason I want clans in the future is so I can have the Vulture back. I just don't feel right without my Vultures.

Give me my Kodiak please. I want to give em the old laser claws.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 29, 2018

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I still have no idea how I managed to pick up a new Gauss Rifle on my travels. In fact I have no idea how to acquire any Star League tech at all, even when visiting planets that ostensibly have some of it lying around.

I'd also love to see a 6 skull difficulty mission, since with tricked out mechs there really isn't much of a challenge to the endgame.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

imweasel09 posted:

Best I can figure from its speed and slots is meant to be kind of an assault grasshopper. I know dick about battletech though, compared to many of the nerds here. I could be way off base. This was the best I could do with it. It is definitely severely lacking in usable tonnage.

Compare it to a grasshopper.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

evilmiera posted:

I still have no idea how I managed to pick up a new Gauss Rifle on my travels. In fact I have no idea how to acquire any Star League tech at all, even when visiting planets that ostensibly have some of it lying around.

I'd also love to see a 6 skull difficulty mission, since with tricked out mechs there really isn't much of a challenge to the endgame.

IIRC I saw someone mention you're given one for finishing the story?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

RBA Starblade posted:

So far I'm using a BJ with 2 AC/5s, Vindicator which is mostly stock but upgraded parts and removed a bit to uparmor it, a Centurion which is barfing missiles everywhere, and a Shadowhawk I switched to close range combat. I'm jumping them around trying to flank or take advantage of openings but it's not really working.

Maybe I'll switch to SRMs on the Centurion to help out the Shadowhawk, and definitely retire the BJ once I get anything else.

It's a lot of starter stuff yeah, I just haven't gotten the salvage to piece more together. The 10v4s are just always going to withdraw or reload though. :v:

I'm pretty comfortable sticking to 1.5 skulls max until I get a heavy or two now though. I can fairly consistently handle that until the reinforcements instant spawn.

Having a fast light available to double sprint to the tower is really useful in panzyr.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The rifle? Oh. Then I guess there really is no real way to find proper Star League tech outside of the story missions. Makes sense I suppose, but a bit of a letdown, since that means I really have nowhere to go now. Aside from maxing out reputation with factions.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
After reading this thread I'm strongly considering buying this. A couple questions:

How hard is it? Compare to XCOM and/or XCOM2.

How long is the campaign? I have no interest at all in multiplayer.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Woooo Jagermech! Trying to decide between two AC-10s or seeing if I can work 3 AC-5s and some medium lasers.

I just got my first one, I'm gonna try it with an AC/20 and 4xSRM6's.

It'll probably never get in range of anything ever!!

But if it does :torgue:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Not even finished, more like ~30% of the way in. More spoilers: it comes on an SLDF mech you get.

Elephant Ambush posted:

After reading this thread I'm strongly considering buying this. A couple questions:

I don't know about X-COM since I never finished any of them from Enemy Unknown on up to the present, but I've had a few curveballs, all fair, and one kinda bullshit encounter.

As for length I'm nowhere near the end and 30 hours in with no idling.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 29, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Q_res, would you mind updating that in your op?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

Honestly, way easier than xcom. Difficulty is spotty though. Most missions are total cakewalks, while the occasional more buggy mission will cause problems. Reinforcements sometimes seem to spawn in sooner than they should.

The campaign length depends on how long you gently caress around doing random missions. You could probably get through it quickly if you avoided much outside of the story missions. I've been playing for about 40 hours and haven't finished, but I've done a serious amount of loving around with random missions.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Sheep posted:

Not even finished, more like ~30% of the way in. More spoilers: it comes on an SLDF mech you get.

No, another one.

Haven't finished the story myself (ended up starting work on my sandbox instead) so I can't confirm.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I can count on one hand the amount of times I've hit a head TOTAL, between called shots AND normal shots. Yet, at least one of my pilots get injured from head hits every single mission. :xcom:?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ravenfood posted:

I use 2 AC/20++

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Do you guys ever fly to high tech systems in the hopes of getting some decent weapons?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Double AC/10 on a Jaegermech, yea or nay?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Firestarter with a full load of small lasers and jump jets is simply luxurious

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Well, it's game over...for the Directorate :clint:

The missileboat of doom:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

A.o.D. posted:

Double AC/10 on a Jaegermech, yea or nay?

Nah, it's undergunned. AC20

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Coldforge posted:

Well, it's game over...for the Directorate :clint:

The missileboat of doom:

RIP your pilot if you ever get shot in the shoulder

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Well, that's certainly a lot of fuckin ammo :stare:

E: Yeah, maybe like spread those across the legs and poo poo. I learned that lesson when my Shadowhawk lost the torso side with it's AC/5, where I had, for some unknown reason, also stashed it's SRM bin. He got to spend the rest of the mission as a sensor lock bitch.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Phi230 posted:

Nah, it's undergunned. AC20

What do you do with the rest of the tonnage, and what you do about being badly outranged?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

What do you do with the rest of the tonnage, and what you do about being badly outranged?

4xSRM6's :getin:

And, uh, relentlessly pummel everythingwith dozens of LRM's until the Jaeger can get in range?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Is it just me or is a dragon literally a slower shitcat with slightly more armor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Filthy Monkey posted:

Honestly, way easier than xcom. Difficulty is spotty though. Most missions are total cakewalks, while the occasional more buggy mission will cause problems. Reinforcements sometimes seem to spawn in sooner than they should.

The campaign length depends on how long you gently caress around doing random missions. You could probably get through it quickly if you avoided much outside of the story missions. I've been playing for about 40 hours and haven't finished, but I've done a serious amount of loving around with random missions.

Thanks! I'm probably going to, ahem, pull the trigger. :c00l: