Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I have stopped trying for called shots on the head. I have the hit location UI on, and I have never seen any of my called shots hit the head, regardless of where I am in relation to the mech. I just go for legs and settle for lower salvage.

You need Tactics 9 to get an 18% chance to headshot. The default called shot chance to hit head is 2% so maybe that's why you've got trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

I have stopped trying for called shots on the head. I have the hit location UI on, and I have never seen any of my called shots hit the head, regardless of where I am in relation to the mech. I just go for legs and settle for lower salvage.

Glitch in the Highlander with Called Shot Mastery is pretty great for headpopping in my experience. Called shots on the head have an almost 1 in 5 chance of connecting.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The most reliable way to get salvage seems to be to first hit with a bunch of lrms to weaken everything and get a destabilization knockdown, then when they stand up again, called shot one leg. Meanwhile, target the arms and side torsos. As long as the center torso and one leg are still intact, you see to get three parts.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

You can pull off some cool stuff with +++ LRMs, but you can pull off some cool stuff with +++ anything, and LRMs seem to have significantly less damage than the other weapon choices.

You basically want to go for stability knockdowns with LRMs versus damage with SRMs. You get several SRM ++ or +++ with extra damage and you basically melt mechs with alpha strikes.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Control Volume posted:

Multi-target is also really good for the sole reason that you can remove evasion pips from multiple mechs at once. My brawling strategy is to reserve most of my mechs on first contact, and progressively work up from lowest to highest damage potential while tossing a single laser or something at whatever I'm not focusing. On a good engagement I'm usually able to cripple two mechs.

The downside is that if you don't cripple anything, one of your mechs is going to get hosed.
Also since Breaching Shot works on Multi Shots, if all the bad guys are guarded or in cover it can be worth it to spread your LRMs around. No sense dumping 40 missiles into a target if 20 will do exactly the same (and possibly more, since the fractions seem to round down for +dmg weapons).

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Party Plane Jones posted:

You basically want to go for stability knockdowns with LRMs versus damage with SRMs. You get several SRM ++ or +++ with extra damage and you basically melt mechs with alpha strikes.

Yeah. It's "Kill things now" versus "Horse around with knockdowns and kill things slower". Feels like LRMs are the same result with more faff, basically.

logicow
Jun 29, 2012

John Charity Spring posted:

MW4 Mercs is really difficult to get working on Windows 10 now, if not impossible for some people. Some nvidia driver update last year essentially broke it and makes it crash on startup. I spent some time trying to find a way around this but none of the suggested fixes worked for me or for several other people posting about it online.

I got it running on a laptop, I don't remember if I forced it to run on Intel HD graphics or if it ran in a window with a software renderer but it wasn't ideal. Mouse movements were super bad, wouldn't move on small motions but would go too fast on fast motions.

Just did the explosive crates mission where you have to destroy two specific vehicles before they get away. They spawn pretty far from you. All my mechs are heavy or assault so they get to move once before I can do anything. They're on a road so they go pretty far...

I had one guy barely get in sensor lock range from it and 3 LRM boats delete it, but I can't imagine what you're supposed to do if you don't have a sensor lock scout with enough armor to withstand the 500 tons worth of LRM / PPC turrets on the map and enough LRMs on the rest of your team to kill it that round

then I retreated to the very corner of the starting position and had my 3 LRM dudes knock down the mechs coming in. From time to time I couldn't knock all of them down or they got up on the same phase as their turrets could fire, and I'd get hit by a bunch of LRMs from super far away

I'm sure that wasn't the intended strategy but I don't get how you're supposed to do it otherwise

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

Yeah. It's "Kill things now" versus "Horse around with knockdowns and kill things slower". Feels like LRMs are the same result with more faff, basically.

Having all the parts of a mech is a nice change over losing out on them because you only have two. I've got like 8 incomplete heavy mechs because the game doesn't like spawning that particular model often and I hosed up killing the pilot/stability kills.

Looking at you Cataphract.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't think there's full thread consensus yet.

You probably want one scout type, traditionally Dekker, with tactics 1/piloting 2, then at least two brwlers with guts 1 / something else. It's useful to have one squaddie with guns 2 for multishot breaching shot against the a whole enemy squad to wipe evasion and open armor.

If you're conflicted though guts 1/ tactics 2 is a solid choice for almost any character except your scout, the initiative bonus is always good and guts 1 is a very solid defensive boost.

I think piloting skills are good early but fall off hard late-game when you start wanting to use mechs that just don't have the engine speed to rack up lots of evasion. My end-game lance is probably going to be 3 mechwarriors with Guns 2 and Guts 1, with my MC running Tactics 2 and Guts 1. Right now one of those gunners was an experimental brawler with Guts 2 and piloting 1, but I'm keeping my eye out for a replacement in the hiring halls. Half damage is just too good compared to the way evasion works, and knockdown is frequent enough that the bonus from Guts 2 really doesn't do much.

e: I need a good melee mech and good assault brawler type. Any mechs better for melee than the (hilarious) Grasshopper stuffed full of melee mods and -self DFA mods, running a full set of SLas?

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 30, 2018

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I took the mission where you have to go take out some old mechwarriors who are causing havoc in the countryside.

I was facing an atlas, victor, highlander, and a battlemaster. :(

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Party Plane Jones posted:

Having all the parts of a mech is a nice change over losing out on them because you only have two. I've got like 8 incomplete heavy mechs because the game doesn't like spawning that particular model often and I hosed up killing the pilot/stability kills.

Looking at you Cataphract.

Yeah, this is why I shifted over to LRM's. The knockdowns and called shots just make it much, much easier to capture parts.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

The AI would be a lot tougher if it had more pilots specced into Bulwark and knew how to use it. Bulwark is just way too good

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I'm currently stuck on the Campaign mission where you land on the Moon to destroy the Directorate Jumpship, how the hell did they expect you to fight nearly 2+ lances of Mechs while still blowing up the Jumpship in 9 turns?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

i had a milk run where my commander got straight up domed out of the blue with only a few turns left to go and now they're stuck in the med bay for 120 days

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Can we include the vehicle speed mods instruction in the OP? That might be something that a lot of people might want to mod besides the delays and the animation speed.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Flavahbeast posted:

The AI would be a lot tougher if it had more pilots specced into Bulwark and knew how to use it. Bulwark is just way too good
If they flipped Juggernaut and Bulwark, maybe? Or made it so that Bulwark gave you cover instead of both guarded and entrenched, and maybe gave you guarded if you bulwark'd while in cover already?. But yeah, its incredibly good and you should really think twice about taking anyone without it once you're past fielding any mediums whatsoever.

I also don't like how there's nothing you can do about it besides Breaching Shot and melee attacks (that are generally hard to close to distance for)

e: Also, I miss having AMS to protect from LRMs.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 30, 2018

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

I'm currently stuck on the Campaign mission where you land on the Moon to destroy the Directorate Jumpship, how the hell did they expect you to fight nearly 2+ lances of Mechs while still blowing up the Jumpship in 9 turns?

I set my dudes up in the puddles at the opposite side of the map from where the final Lance appears. They won't move from their starting point until you get in sensor range of them so if you knock out the fuel station at long range you'll have plenty of time to mop up before fighting them

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Flavahbeast posted:

I set my dudes up in the puddles at the opposite side of the map from where the final Lance appears. They won't move from their starting point until you get in sensor range of them so if you knock out the fuel station at long range you'll have plenty of time to mop up before fighting them

:stare: Good idea, and didn't know that.

Also: loving SRM Carriers. I want to build a mech that emulates that sheer destructive angry little fucker.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Also: loving SRM Carriers. I want to build a mech that emulates that sheer destructive angry little fucker.

Yeah, how does a little car carry more srms/ammo/heatsinks than a mech?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ravenfood posted:

If they flipped Juggernaut and Bulwark, maybe? Or made it so that Bulwark gave you cover instead of both guarded and entrenched, and maybe gave you guarded if you bulwark'd while in cover already?. But yeah, its incredibly good and you should really think twice about taking anyone without it once you're past fielding any mediums whatsoever.

I also don't like how there's nothing you can do about it besides Breaching Shot and melee attacks (that are generally hard to close to distance for)

I had heard some talk about them flipping Juggernaut and Bulwark and I think it something they need to consider. Or maybe Bulwark give Cover (25% dmg reduction) instead. Or maybe make it so that Bulwark only works from the front, and not the front and side arcs, to increase emphasis on mobility.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Also if people are having trouble stopping the apcs on the Panzyr mission: the two entrances are one hex wide, if you put a mech in each one the troop transports will politely queue up and wait for you to move out of the way

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Flavahbeast posted:

Also if people are having trouble stopping the apcs on the Panzyr mission: the two entrances are one hex wide, if you put a mech in each one the troop transports will politely queue up and wait for you to move out of the way

"Please sir, we need to pass, kindly be chivalrous and move"

spacetoaster posted:

I don't know, but the damage/ammo they consume has to be unreal.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

It is hilarious that even in the Battletech universe tanks are just more efficient and practical.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

spacetoaster posted:

Because it doesn't need to have a ton of space dedicated to stupid huge arms and legs.

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle
For salvaging if you can't get the headshots you can also try to go for a knockdown + two side torso explosions. That will also usually take out a pilot unless they have a lot of guts i guess, I don't know how NPC pilots work for skills and stuff. Plus you usually get an ammo explosion or two doing that which helps.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Xae posted:

It is hilarious that even in the Battletech universe tanks are just more efficient and practical.

I wish, like Mechcommander, you could field vehicles. Because I'd like to just field 6-7 SRM carriers and go nuts on someone's rear armor.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

The tanks and vees seem much smaller than they should be; might be related to why the stomping animation is always off too. A 60t tank should be rivaling the locust in size at least.

e: actually, looking at the scale of the roads and buildings, the mechs are just too loving big I think.

Plek fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 30, 2018

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

LRM carriers are ten times worse. Especially if the first mech you run across in a mission is a tactician, who then proceeds to sensor lock Glitch. That loving carrier blasted her poor Vindicator three times in a row. She survived.

Then a Panther walked up and blasted the tiny rest of her CT apart, executioner style. Didn't even get to eject her.

Since this is clearly bullshit, I just reloaded my save from the beginning of this mission. :colbert:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

I had heard some talk about them flipping Juggernaut and Bulwark and I think it something they need to consider. Or maybe Bulwark give Cover (25% dmg reduction) instead. Or maybe make it so that Bulwark only works from the front, and not the front and side arcs, to increase emphasis on mobility.
And its not just that its not good, its that mobility doesn't scale up into the endgame at all, at least on campaign. I really like the idea of it being a frontal arc only, now that you mention it. Also, it shouldn't trigger if you rotate in place. That way you could deal with it fairly well on both sides and it'd be a nice benefit that made you have to think about positioning rather than just "here are my various turret-mechs, I'm going to shoot you now."

Making the other skills scale a bit better into the endgame might be nice too, though some of that is simply based around just how good Bulwark is. Any of the mobility skills seem pointless when they don't really stack up to 50% damage reduction.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Xae posted:

Weisman recent reiterated the reasoning for battlemechs to basically be like interstellar communication is expensive and not readily available except to the richest of factions so a lot of it bogs down into space feudalism with lords ruling over clustered systems. The battlemech in this situation becomes a flexible all terrain weapon that a lord can dispatch to any planet or moon as needed. The implication being that on the battlefield the tank is still king but mechs can climb mountains and fly over rivers that tanks can't.

The general utility of the mech is also why they're the preferred weapon of Merc companies.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
You guys all seem to have Glitch as heavy weapons, but she's a straight brawler in mine :black101:

Also my Dekker is in the hospital for 100 days after death-from-above-ing a Grasshopper in his Jenner

This game owns so hard

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Are there uhh planes in this universe?

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

I wish, like Mechcommander, you could field vehicles. Because I'd like to just field 6-7 SRM carriers and go nuts on someone's rear armor.

I haven't tried giving the player vehicles yet. I haven't come across any posts/reports of other people doing it either - so I have no idea if it's possible or not. Maybe I'll see if I can mod vehicles into the stores and see what happens if I buy one.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

Weisman recent reiterated the reasoning for battlemechs to basically be like interstellar communication is expensive and not readily available except to the richest of factions so a lot of it bogs down into space feudalism with lords ruling over clustered systems. The battlemech in this situation becomes a flexible all terrain weapon that a lord can dispatch to any planet or moon as needed. The implication being that on the battlefield the tank is still king but mechs can climb mountains and fly over rivers that tanks can't.

The general utility of the mech is also why they're the preferred weapon of Merc companies.

Besides, a single mech surprising a tank company can just stomp them all. A single tank surprising a mech company is just fodder, even if it is something evil like a LRM-carrier.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I just done Panzyr with 3 starting mechs + centurion. I think the key to this mission is to confuse the AI as much as possible and let the turrets chew through them. It still went pretty disastrously with 2 casualties but eh. Basically I jumped vindicator and shadowhawk down the ramp while centurion and bj walked down. Enemies wreked the centurion, meanwile the flanking crew emerged from behind the round ship and the AI freaked out and turned their backs to the BJ. I took this as my chance and ran it through the woods to the fort at the entrance to control tower. And this was pretty much it. When i extracted they only had 1 mech left alive.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

MMF Freeway posted:

Yes. All kinds.

There are even specialty mechs for shooting them down.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

MMF Freeway posted:

I remember mechwarrior 2 having helicopters

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

There are planes that turn into mechs!

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

The Saddest Robot posted:

There are planes that turn into mechs!

we don't talk about those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Plek posted:

The tanks and vees seem much smaller than they should be; might be related to why the stomping animation is always off too. A 60t tank should be rivaling the locust in size at least.

e: actually, looking at the scale of the roads and buildings, the mechs are just too loving big I think.

Modern tanks weigh in around the 60-ton mark, so battlemechs must either use super-lightweight materials or would realistically weigh 2-3 times as much as is said.