Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I have three mechs with AC20s and Max jump jets, minimal armor. Am I doing this right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Eej posted:

The C1 has 2 Missile hardpoints so good luck boating

two LRM20 +++s do good work, but I doubt i'd be using it as my sole LRM boat without those. The extra +stab damage is great. The damage of even two LRM20s is just not enough once you move deeper into the game, but the extra stability damage really lets them punch above their weight class

and the 4 MLs aren't bad on the occasion some light gets a bit too close.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

Kenshin posted:

Holy poo poo the Banshee BNC-3E is totally useless, what a poo poo assault mech
Banshee has one upside:
At least it's not a Charger.

Oh wait, I lied - there are no Chargers in HBS Battletech so Banshee has no upsides.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Zigmidge posted:

Nah, it's really not necessary.

My next play through is going to be with stock mech designs only. This game is real easy to break with out even getting into +/++ weapons.

Im doing an all stock play through just now. I did build an LRM Cent but it was mad so going back to stock but upgrading parts if i get them. Seems to be going fine just now.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I really feel like the PPC should do some heat damage or have its debuff stack. I did some quick modding on that now (+10 heat per hit, debuff stacks 4 times and lasts 2 rounds...probably a little too powerful, but it's just for funsies right now) and it kind of changes the flow of battles: enemies seem to disengage to cool off a bit, instead of just running all up into my face.

edit: well, one guy went to cool off, at least. anyway, maybe the heat can go, but i probably will keep the debuff stacking...

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 1, 2018

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, I don't think my Enforcer, Kintaro, Catapult PPC model, and LRM-Centurion lance could have handled a pair of heavies, a full medium lance, and vehicle support without the various edges you get.
I mean I don't think it's exactly a big secret that you can trivialize all generic contracts with kiting+chokepointing and long range weaponry customization. The campaign missions are more fun since they actually have real design put into them but numerically they're balanced for a wide range of mechs so they're easy to overpower with good weaponry if you customize well. Campaign missions are probably only truly great when you play them blind though, if you know each campaign mission's trick then it's whatever.

The stock mech challenge is probably a good alternative take on the game. I assume this will be one of those "Long War" type options they'll add one day, but at the same time I feel like the inability to customize mechs might be a little too ZZZzzz

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Rascyc posted:

I mean I don't think it's exactly a big secret that you can trivialize all generic contracts with kiting+chokepointing and long range weaponry customization. The campaign missions are more fun since they actually have real design put into them but numerically they're balanced for a wide range of mechs so they're easy to overpower with good weaponry if you customize well. Campaign missions are probably only truly great when you play them blind though, if you know each campaign mission's trick then it's whatever.

The stock mech challenge is probably a good alternative take on the game. I assume this will be one of those "Long War" type options they'll add one day, but at the same time I feel like the inability to customize mechs might be a little too ZZZzzz

It would be neat if it were possible to limit the amount of customization - like you could remove/replace x pieces, but not everything.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Rascyc posted:

Just pair it with 'Always be dropping' don't rest up between fights unless all your mechs are trashed. You look at your mission list and your Commando, Spider, Vindicator and mostly working Blackjack and just drop in! Means you actually have to make choices other than 'drop your best Lance' everytime.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Aramoro posted:

Im doing an all stock play through just now. I did build an LRM Cent but it was mad so going back to stock but upgrading parts if i get them. Seems to be going fine just now.

For me, playing with stock mechs is kind of the point in this game. I like using the mechs I remember fondly from reading my favorite Battletech-novels and try to stay as close to their standard fit as possible. So for example I see nothing wrong with equipping my Centurion with progressively better versions of his LRM10 and AC10, but gimmicks like turning it into a missile-platform are a huge turn-off.

Having the option to customize is nice, but I think I may be the most boring player ever, considering the very minor changes I do. :v:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, the meat of the game for me is making things as radically different from stock as possible. I like to take a Mech and shove it into a different role if at all possible.

Stock poo poo is just boring for me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Zore posted:

Yeah, the meat of the game for me is making things as radically different from stock as possible. I like to take a Mech and shove it into a different role if at all possible.

Stock poo poo is just boring for me.

Half the fun is customizing mechs, so good on you.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
:rip: Glitch.

My Dekker doesn't want to die.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
My Jagermech took 3 mechwarriors lives. Its cursed.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The headless dragon in my mechbay is a monument to Behemoth, my only casualty.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Half the fun is customizing mechs, so good on you.

Some people want to role play in the BT universe, others want to play engineer and minmax the hell out of their mechs.

All are cool in the giant stompy robot universe.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The headless dragon in my mechbay is a monument to Behemoth, my only casualty.

It will be stained by the blood of others. Its is the way.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i'm vain and i sperg out based on looks: like, if it doesn't visibly have a ton of missile hardpoints, i won't make it into a missile boat. it just ain't gonna happen.

centurion with a bunch of lrm20s and no pants on? lol girl, THAT'S what you're gonna wear today? like, you do you (i guess...), but tbh it looks stupid and i wouldn't be caught dead in that.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I haven't had too many mechs die but gently caress is it annoying constantly having my roster out for a month at a time because one missile hit the armor of their head or they fell down once

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I actually haven't had anyone die yet, but a few folks were out of commission for 110 days.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I lost my Dekker to an AC/20 headcap inflicted by a hunchback. I then salvaged said hunchback and it's now my Dekker Memorial Hunchback. First mission it headcapped a shadow hawk. Firm handshakes, Dekker.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Soup du Journey posted:

i'm vain and i sperg out based on looks: like, if it doesn't visibly have a ton of missile hardpoints, i won't make it into a missile boat. it just ain't gonna happen.

centurion with a bunch of lrm20s and no pants on? lol girl, THAT'S what you're gonna wear today? like, you do you (i guess...), but tbh it looks stupid and i wouldn't be caught dead in that.

But don't they modify the models depending on what weapons you fit? Seems like if I change out weapons the model visibly changes.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Vargs posted:

Game is more fun when the Highlander is your only assault so consider it a blessing.

:negative: thanks!

I guess the cache mission knocked up the difficulty? I got a 4 skull assassinate mission, I thought no problem I've had just shoddy 55T mech lances for last 20 missions or so.

So I got Atlas, Black knight, two quickdraws and a Stalker as enemies.

And I had orion, jager, thunderbolt and centurion. They took quite a beating when usually enemies don't even scratch me. I got the Atlas, now the fun ends? :v: Stalker would have been interesting too since I managed to knock out its pilot too.. sadly you can't get everything.

.. my Highlander is still on refit, so I didn't even get to use it before I got a 2nd assault mech.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
How can I see how much heat will a mech dissipate per turn? Only the amount of heatsinks it carriesx3?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Fat Samurai posted:

How can I see how much heat will a mech dissipate per turn? Only the amount of heatsinks it carriesx3?

All mechs passively dissapate 30 per turn with each heatsink adding 3 more.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Fat Samurai posted:

Intrinsic 30 plus heatsinks, yeah.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Thanks! I'll look through these.

I feel like I need a SQUAWWWWKKK emote in this game. Oh, the good old days.

How do I install these? just drop them into a directory somewhere?

Did anyone explain how to install these?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The problem with playing pure stock is all the ammo in the dumbest possible places

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

CommieGIR posted:

But don't they modify the models depending on what weapons you fit? Seems like if I change out weapons the model visibly changes.

They do and it is awesome. I have three different Jagermechs with different stubby arm setups.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Malek Deneith posted:

Oh wait, I lied - there are no Chargers in HBS Battletech so Banshee has no upsides.

Having a fully armored assault punch mech that runs as fast as a medium mech would be loving terrifying in this game. :crossarms:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

My Dekker got cored by an AC20.

Rip friend.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
killing enemies through ammo explosions is always the best feeling.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Halp, I just got the argo but every single random contract is several orders of magnitude harder than story missions. I get completely wiped out by most of them since its 2 full lances of mechs with a heavy in each.

And I cant find any systems with lower ratings.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

The problem with playing pure stock is all the ammo in the dumbest possible places

Can someone actually ELI5 where I should put ammo.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Did anyone explain how to install these?

Rename/Replace one of the files in BATTLETECH/BattleTech_Data/StreamingAssets/emblems/player
I'm using envTxrHrld_156.dds, the paradox logo for that.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Store all ammo in the head, stacked around the pilot's chair

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Could be worse. Having the ammo be the only critical slot in a section is no longer a guaranteed mech kill once the section is breached.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Hmm, what's a decent Grasshopper loadout? I've got a PPC++ I could run (or even two!) in addition to a token LRM.

Or make full use of those jumpjets and go full disco with 7 MLas's?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

the hardpoints change to reflect the weapons, but their general frames still make them look pretty dinky in certain roles. like, the centurion is just sort of built like a quarterback, you know? griffins look like mid-long range snipers, etc etc

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Eldragon posted:

Well that settles it, I'm modding my game to drop the tonnage of the AC 10 by 1 ton. Right now I'm using AC5 or AC20, ignoring all the others.

It's kind of a shame they didn't add a 4 ton Autocannon (Light AC5), table top really benefits from it, Especially if you are playing 3025 era. but I'm sure the grogs would lose their mind about fake timelines being ignored.

The amount of nerd rage you get on Reddit or the Paradox forums if you suggest they should reduce tonnage on some of the weapons is absolutely amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
also WHY isn't there a mod with emblems for all the space marine chapters out yet? HOW can i pilot a theoretical atlas squad without them being ultramarines or something? come the gently caress on, this is unplayable...