Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Arrath posted:

Hmm, what's a decent Grasshopper loadout? I've got a PPC++ I could run (or even two!) in addition to a token LRM.

Or make full use of those jumpjets and go full disco with 7 MLas's?

Honestly? The stock build and ripping out the missiles to instead max out your support weapons (I recommend MGs, personally) has you with a constantly jumping discotron that never gains heat.

The problem is you'll never capture anything as those MGs delete structure. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I really wish the training pods gave you a one-time respec option per upgrade, possibly for your MC only, because I want to make a few changes to pilots without having to totally rehire and retrain them.

e: My Grasshopper currently has two +melee damage arm mods and two -self DFA leg mods so it only takes 60 self-damage from a DFA and punches for 140 (DFA is 180), plus six small lasers. When it does manage to close to melee, its hilarious. Not necessarily optimal, but hilarious.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 2, 2018

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

my kinda ape posted:

Are urbanmechs actually good? I saw a couple places with 3x scrap of them for sale while I was looking for pilots but they didn't look like they were worth it over a heavy

This_is_the_urbanmech.jpg

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Yeah if you're comparing the urbanmech vs a heavy then it's going to look bad. Any light is going to look mediocre compared to a heavy.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Thanks guys, I'll try out those Grasshopper builds.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Gaukler posted:

This_is_the_urbanmech.jpg

i was first introduced to this by the Space Station Thirteen thread

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

There's a bunch of urbie cheevos, some metal babby vs. atlas cheevos (one as the commando team, one as the atlas), a 4 King Crabs flawless victory cheevo.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Does anyone have the story of some guy playing tabletech and destroying a clan player with a swarm of urbanmechs while he gets progressively more pissed off at the sheer amount?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Back Hack posted:

Has anyone seen the comments being made in this mod? It's a great example why I'm glad this game doesn't adhere to TT purests. :v:

Classic Battletech Damage and Heat

Good to see literally the exact same vocal moron who doesn't understand game design in every one of these discussions

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Great Beer posted:

All these posts about the AC10 being suboptimal are correct. However its worth noting the AC10 does 65 damage and a mechs head has 45+16 hp, which means they're head choppers like the ac20.

E; it's also the one of the highest stability damage in the game, tied with PPC. Knockdowns are amazing and shouldn't be discounted.

This game is baffling because the AC/5 is useful unlike tabletop where it always just felt like a garbage gun. Not complaining just it feels weird to me still.

Still not as good as the gimmick AC/2 builds in MW:O for a bit. The AC/10 I do think probably needs some rework as right now it isn't that great. Its too heavy for the damage it does and while it can head cap I would rather run with ppc's and heatsinks.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 2, 2018

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

RabidWeasel posted:

Good to see literally the exact same vocal moron who doesn't understand game design in every one of these discussions

quote:

You start to wonder why the HBS devs messed so much with the damage and heat values of weapons for nothing, ignoring the fact that this system has been playtested and balanced since over thirty years by thousands of players worldwide

:laugh:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Saddest Robot posted:

Yeah if you're comparing the urbanmech vs a heavy then it's going to look bad. Any light is going to look mediocre compared to a heavy.

All mechs pale in comparison to that king of kings, the locust

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
None of the ACs are worth using over other weapon systems IMO but the AC10 is definitely the worst (AC2 is still garbage by design in spite of buffs, because we can't adjust tonnages to be reasonable or the baby grognards cry)

no but see they played for 30 years therefore balanced because ???

Also people calling Weisman out on changing his own game not respecting the original is funny.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

He really, really doesn't know does he

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

my kinda ape posted:

Are urbanmechs actually good? I saw a couple places with 3x scrap of them for sale while I was looking for pilots but they didn't look like they were worth it over a heavy

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I mean, there are a few outliers with weapon balance but on the whole they're not too bad? LRMs are way too good in general, LLas plain suck, and a few other weapons have weird little variations that can be easily tweaked, like the AC-10's tonnage, but nothing is too far out of place. ACs aren't bad overall, and SRMs probably come with way too much ammo per ton, but its hard to tell when LRMs are just so drat good, Similarly, skills arent' too bad. Bulwark is too good and Juggernaut is too bad, but otherwise they're all plenty viable, imo.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

holy poo poo, you can jump jet on people.

I blew out my own griffins legs doing it, but it was loving awesome.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

Phew, first time any of my pilots had a brush with death that close. I took a 3 skull mission despite the warning and am soon trying to set up a firing line with 2x locusts, wolverine, enforcer, jenner, firestarter and 2x strikers and a thunderbolt sitting behind peppering medusa as he jumps and braces to bait the wolverine and enforcer away. He's at low armor by the time he's tangoing with both of them in close range and melee far away from any support :black101: If I didn't bulwark on three mechs and have the LRM wolverine I would've been screwed. I got 3 injuries on the Thunderbolt pilot but was unlucky with my last called shot :smith: But I got an enforcer, a firestarter (my third) and a locust so it's not all that bad! :unsmith:

Awesome game.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 2, 2018

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

None of the ACs are worth using over other weapon systems IMO but the AC10 is definitely the worst (AC2 is still garbage by design in spite of buffs, because we can't adjust tonnages to be reasonable or the baby grognards cry)

I definitely think they're better than what they were before, with the AC10 being the exception, the only thing I would really change (other giving the AC10 a bit more damage) is having Autocannon in general do more stability damage and LRMs do less. My two cents on the subject. :shrug:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Xarbala posted:

He really, really doesn't know does he

I didn't either, until I just looked it up.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Question on knockdown pilot damage. Was it a TT rule or just standard Battletech that knockdown has always hurt pilots? Seems a little odd to me when a pilot should be strapped in with a helmet on but maybe they left the seatbelts out of these mechs because every oz counts? Just wonder how broken the game would be without that hurting pilots.

Also I remember piloting the urbanmech in MW2M for the first time. It was goofy and fun the way they rendered it, but that AC was hilariously good if you could waddle up and circle a target.

It wasn't very fast though so that wasn't an easy feat outside of *gasp* urban maps.

Didn't it also have 2 light lasers on its legs stock in some past ruleset, or am I thinking of a different mech?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

In TT you get a piloting test to avoid damage from falling, but falling also hurts your mech and standing up is harder.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

EdEddnEddy posted:

Question on knockdown pilot damage. Was it a TT rule or just standard Battletech that knockdown has always hurt pilots? Seems a little odd to me when a pilot should be strapped in with a helmet on but maybe they left the seatbelts out of these mechs because every oz counts? Just wonder how broken the game would be without that hurting pilots.
It'd make it a fuckton harder to salvage mechs, that's for sure.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BTW, what's up with things like X-pulse lasers and Ultra ACs and rotary autocannons? Were those just extra fun things they came up with for MW4, or just something way later on?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

EdEddnEddy posted:

these are very tall giant robots

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

BTW, what's up with things like X-pulse lasers and Ultra ACs and rotary autocannons? Were those just extra fun things they came up with for MW4, or just something way later on?

Weren't those all Clan weapons? Or just later on stuff since MW4 takes place a good chunk of time later.

Ravenfood posted:

It'd make it a fuckton harder to salvage mechs, that's for sure.

I guess the fact that I have not been actively trying to salvage anything makes me miss that.

I like making things blow up. :black101:

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

RBA Starblade posted:

The Ultra AC's and Rotary Autocannons are actual adavnced rule things.

I think X-pulses are like the expiremental tech ruleset stuff?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Ultra AC/5s are Lostech, other Ultras were developed by the Clans and show up around that time. Rotary Autocannons are a post-Clan Invasion IS development, same with X-Pulse Lasers, but X-Pulses never left the experimental stage because they kind of suck compared to just getting clan-made Clan Pulse Lasers before the jihad, and then making your own clan-spec pulse lasers after (IS technology post-jihad is good enough that this is an option sometimes). Basically all the weird stuff from MW4:Mercs is post-Clan Invasion, FedCom Civil War-era tech. Which is appropriate, because that's exactly what MW4:Mercs is.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Have an animated version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pyCsu0QRO0

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

these are very tall giant robots

True, still you would think they would have advanced airbag tech 1000 years in the future or something.

Also with all the crap in Hollywood these days and even Pacific Rim being a thing, why the hell has there not been a good Mechwarrior movie yet?

I remember the cutscene intro from WM4 being good enough to be a movie trailer way back when.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

Also with all the crap in Hollywood these days and even Pacific Rim being a thing, why the hell has there not been a good Mechwarrior movie yet?

there's robot jox if you're really desperate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kd642Ix5ks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIHjGgFZKs8

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
gently caress, I just realized I really wish that a) Cauldron-Born existed in this game because I think they look awesome and that b) you really don't get to play with heavies too much (Quickdraw possibly excepted) before moving into the assault mech stage.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Xarbala posted:

Ultra AC/5s are Lostech, other Ultras were developed by the Clans and show up around that time. Rotary Autocannons are a post-Clan Invasion IS development, same with X-Pulse Lasers, but X-Pulses never left the experimental stage because they kind of suck compared to just getting clan-made Clan Pulse Lasers before the jihad, and then making your own clan-spec pulse lasers after (IS technology post-jihad is good enough that this is an option sometimes). Basically all the weird stuff from MW4:Mercs is post-Clan Invasion, FedCom Civil War-era tech. Which is appropriate, because that's exactly what MW4:Mercs is.

Ah ok, that makes sense. I barely paid attention to what the plots were compared to "holy poo poo giant robots" when I was a kid. But then my computer could barely run it so it crashed a lot so I just did a shitload of mechlab and instant action. I remember I didn't like Black Knight as much for whatever reason, beat Vengeance once (on easy, with heat and ammo off lmao), and pretty much just played Mercs forever in the arena after it came out. Didn't you fight clans or something in Mechcommander 2? I remember having an urbanmech in that. :v:

Mechwarrior and Homeworld was a whole lot of my childhood and besides that one rulebook for Battletech I didn't realize it was really a thing until a decade later.

quote:

gently caress, I just realized I really wish that a) Cauldron-Born existed in this game because I think they look awesome and that b) you really don't get to play with heavies too much (Quickdraw possibly excepted) before moving into the assault mech stage.

I still don't have a single heavy, 20 hours in and post-Panzyr. I'm sooo close to one :negative:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 2, 2018

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

EdEddnEddy posted:

I think a lot of mechwarrior injuries are simply from the shock of being thrown around so much when you take a good solid hit. Falling when you're sitting at the top of a 12 meter tall machine is going to loving hurt no matter how well you're strapped in. I suppose if you really wanted to stretch the imagination you could chalk a lot of it up to heatstroke and dehydration too. It gets dangerously hot inside a mech cockpit. I can remember a couple of battletech novels where the mechwarriors were fighting nearly naked because they were desperately trying to keep the heat tolerable.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Re: modding the weapon values back to being Tabletop-faithful

The people who do this should 1v1 a dev in a 25m c-bill match using the modded "balanced" weapon stats, but the pro-mod side can only field stock 'Mech designs that mount at least one AC/2 or AC/5, unless one of these is a Jagermech JM6-S in which case they may bring one stock mech without these limitations.

The devs have no restrictions other than the cbill limit and stock mechs only.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

But the basic gameplay is all different from the tabletop, oh jeez

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

But the basic gameplay is all different from the tabletop, oh jeez

Oh no, whatever will they do

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

It depends on how quickly you do the main missions. If you start exploring and getting rep early enough, you'll see plenty of heavies and no assaults.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

EdEddnEddy posted:

True, still you would think they would have advanced airbag tech 1000 years in the future or something.

I remember the cutscene intro from WM4 being good enough to be a movie trailer way back when.

night vision is lostech

the inner sphere is kinda garbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

EdEddnEddy posted:

Even with an airbag and seatbelt people get injured in car crashes. Even in ideal circumstances with extra protection it still fucks up a person good.