Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Go RV! posted:

As of this last update, volume button scrolling has stopped working for me, and I just noticed hitting the volume crashes the app when on the main forum page so I figured I'd mention it. Tried turning it off and on again.

3.4.1 on a Nexus 6p, if it helps.

e: actually turning it off and on stopped the crash bug but it was definitely repeatable for a while :shrug:

Yeah that should be fixed in the beta, so it'll get to the normal version soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Haven't said it in a while, so thank you all for making this awesome app. By far the most used app on my phone. Thank you very much for doing this in your spare time for no compensation.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Having frequent image uploading errors lately. In the last couple of days it's worked once out of three or four tries.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Our quota with imgur is probably used up for the month. Try it again in a few days.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

What's the error message? The upload dialog should show whatever the response is, not totally sure what it says in each case though :frogbon:

gibb3h
Jul 15, 2014

Hey, I've noticed that images hosted on postimg.org are no longer working as their domain has been changed to postimg.cc, I've written a grease monkey script to fix it on desktop but could we fix it on the app as well? Can anyone make push requests on the repo? :)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

gibb3h posted:

Hey, I've noticed that images hosted on postimg.org are no longer working as their domain has been changed to postimg.cc, I've written a grease monkey script to fix it on desktop but could we fix it on the app as well? Can anyone make push requests on the repo? :)

Can you link me a post with such an image? I’ll fix it in the iOS app.

gibb3h
Jul 15, 2014

pokeyman posted:

Quite a lot in this thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3822798&pagenumber=54&perpage=40#post474484104

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

pokeyman posted:

Original content do not steal

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Thanks for the pull-request

A++ would merge again

gibb3h
Jul 15, 2014

Sereri posted:

Thanks for the pull-request

A++ would merge again

No worries :cheers:

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
I've been using this app for years, on a daily basis. Now that Twitter is being embedded into a lot of posts though, all I see is a link. Is there any way to transformed the link into the usual Twitter post inside the app?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Imperialist Dog posted:

I've been using this app for years, on a daily basis. Now that Twitter is being embedded into a lot of posts though, all I see is a link. Is there any way to transformed the link into the usual Twitter post inside the app?

Goto Settings -> Posts -> Embedding and enable Tweets

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Anyone know what causes this? I see it in maybe a couple posts a day and usually not as bad as this one:

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mammal Sauce posted:

Anyone know what causes this? I see it in maybe a couple posts a day and usually not as bad as this one:

That's "zalgo text," basically a meme.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
H̡͗͂ͦͨ̒ͬ̏͏̷̸̗̜͚̠̻̖͕̪̝̀Ę̖̟̹͙͈̞̩̬̩͇͙̫̻ͣ̆̌̚͟ ̧̨͊́ͣ͊̏̎ͩ̈́͂ͣ͆҉̥͉͔̠ͅͅͅC̦̣̟͈͇̘ͩ̋ͦ́̏̑̋̄̒́ͬ͆̓̀̚͢Ö̷́̆̒͑ͭ͞͞҉̧̬̭̟̤̖̜̥̣͔̟ͅM̯̩̖͍̯͖̭̭̥͇̬̩̪͊ͮ̆͗̐̎̍ͪ͛̌͟͝E̸͔̞̥̟͓̪͇ͫͤ̏̃̓̀̾̿ͫ͢S̨̛̪̻̰̙̳̗̯̼ͫͬ̓̔̂ͬ̋͒ͤ̈̌ͪ͟͡ ̶̉ͩ̔̌ͥ̈́ͩ̅͌͐̆̓ͭͥ̈́͠͏̜͎͎̠̯̰h̴̶̰͔͉̯͚̤͖͖̍͊̅ͨ̈͊ͥ̓̊̈ͮͯ͊̚ͅͅt̡̓ͮ͑̓͠҉̸̝̟̝̪͙̺̫̼̘̩͚̘̮̲t̋ͣ̑̆̂̉̾ͯ͊̇ͣ̋͏̢̠̭̬̣͇p̴ͨ̈ͯ̃̄ͨ̐ͪ̉ͬ҉͏̡̨̺̙̺̗̠:̵̣̝̘̰͇̠̥̻̮͕̮̜̹͍̝͋̈͒͂̊͐ͩ̏͋̋̓͌̎́/̸̡̘̞̭̠͈̩̐̅̉͋͆ͪͧ̍̓/̵̴̢̗̪̬̬̼̩̳͎̬̞̭̝̗͚̙͋̓́̒̌̎̍́͑ͩ̓̐͂̍ͥ͒̀̚̚͡w̶̨̗͔̳̫̰ͦ͋̽͊̊́͜͞w̵̭͖̲̝̱͓̗͚̪͓̱̦̗̫̪̫̤̎͛ͫ͒̅̅̋ͪͪͬͯ̉ͮ͑̚̕͜͞ͅw̷̩͈͔̜̞̞̟͉͓̲̗̓ͫͨ̒̈́̋ͬͧ̑̃͊̽̐̎͘͝͠.ͧͩ̆̃̀ͪ̽̅͊̓̽̏̈ͥ̏̑͂̚͟҉̡̯̹̪̳̝̝̘̤̲̰͔̱̦̘̩͢͠ě̢̤͙͓̹͎͇̻̯̬̙̝̬̦͔̉͂̒͑͊̈́̄ͥ́͘ͅȇ͖̣̹͚̣̼̻̠̗̟͇̮͓̀͗ͤ̏͂ͬ̌ͫ͘ể̻͇̙͉̭̍ͩ̀͘̕͟͡m͓̲͍̺͕̫̌̀̏̋̀̕͡ǫ̷̪̞̻̤͓̈ͦ̑͘͝.̵̛͍͚͍̰̬̟͔̮̭̤̰̼̓̑̐ͮ̓͐ͥͬ̄̓̈́ͤ́̊̊ͭͣͮ̕nͪ̀ͬͨ̅͏҉̘̦͇̟̬͇͙̪̳̲̠̲e̶̦͕̝̭͓̹̓ͩ͊͋̅͑ͥ̒̎̀͠ͅț̸̨̱̦̹̯ͭ́ͤ̽ͭ͒̔ͭ͜͡͡/̧̔̍͋̎ͫͣ҉҉̷̹̙̥͈̠ ̸̋͋̀̏̆̒ͥͩ̐ͩͣ̐̌̉̚͏҉̕͏̖̣̱͎̮͎̯̜̱̦

I'm genuinely surprised at the number of different apps and things actually display it "properly"

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Is there a setting in the app that is making every goddamn gif have a giant play button obscuring it or is that something somewhere else in my phone?

E: found it

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
I just got a new phone (Galaxy S8) so my issue may have to do with that. When I click a link within one post that takes me to a different post (or thread), I can't seem to easily navigate back to where I was. I was able to do this when using the app on my old phone (an ancient Droid Mini). Is there a setting I'm missing?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

The current store version has an issue with that, yeah - hitting back just moves you back to the thread list. It works in the beta version though! (except for scrolling back to a post on the same page, that still needs fixing - it's all getting worked over)

So yeah next update will fix it for ya

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
Thanks for the information. I'll look forward to the update.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Any consideration to reverting the change that made the app icon from phone home screen pull you out of the thread you were reading back to the forum list?

I feel like it was a bugfix for something else, but repeatedly losing place in threads and all posts farther down the page going unread (oh no!) after any distraction has got to be worse than whatever the original bug was.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah it's gonna be fixed next beta, but you should just be able to swipe over to the thread anyway

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Sininu posted:

Go to last page takes time to first page instead in current version. Using that option from bookmarks still works as expected.

Um, anything about this?

I figured out that "go to page" shows threads I haven't bookmarked as only having single page which is why "go to last page" takes me to the first page instead.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Has anybody else had issues with getting imgur links to display in the past couple days? Each image is just replaced with a white line for me.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Ghostpilot posted:

Has anybody else had issues with getting imgur links to display in the past couple days? Each image is just replaced with a white line for me.

I haven't, but occasionally I have trouble getting images from certain sites to display, and without exception, it always turns out to be a weird problem where one of my do-not-track browser plugins has randomly decided to start blocking them.
Try turning all of that stuff off, and then reload a page with a missing image in a new tab (at least in Firefox, sometimes turning a plugin off doesn't actually help until you open a new tab).

E: Oh sorry oops this is the app thread. I thought I was in the technical forum questions thread. Disregard this post, then.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Thanks!

Sereri posted:

Original content do not steal

no u

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Sininu posted:

Um, anything about this?

I figured out that "go to page" shows threads I haven't bookmarked as only having single page which is why "go to last page" takes me to the first page instead.

Oh yeah, I didn't get round to looking into that. That's good info though, thanks!

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

baka kaba posted:

Oh yeah, I didn't get round to looking into that. That's good info though, thanks!

Also I'm on Android 8.0 and the app is the latest non-beta version from Play store.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I'm not actually seeing that on the store or beta versions - Go To Page on the thread list shows the correct number of pages on the selector, Last Page jumps to the last page in read and unread threads, and the page picker works in the thread view too

I'll have look in an Oreo emulator tomorrow but that shouldn't make any difference - is this happening in any particular forums? Any particular threads (ideally a popular one so I can find it on the thread list for a forum)?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

baka kaba posted:

I'm not actually seeing that on the store or beta versions - Go To Page on the thread list shows the correct number of pages on the selector, Last Page jumps to the last page in read and unread threads, and the page picker works in the thread view too

I'll have look in an Oreo emulator tomorrow but that shouldn't make any difference - is this happening in any particular forums? Any particular threads (ideally a popular one so I can find it on the thread list for a forum)?

It happens in every subforum I go to and I just checked bunch of others too. It's not connected to any particular threads.

Could any in-app or phone setting affect this behavior?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

!!!
I figured out something important!

I launch the app directly to bookmarks because I mostly only visit threads I've bookmarked, but I thought I'd test if anything changes if I launch the app normally - turns out all is fine that way.
Launching directly to bookmarks is done though a widget that's just the usual icon. I only discovered that few months ago and it's quite convenient even though it saves just one tap.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 8, 2018

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Looks like you solved it!

Yeah the bookmarks widget has been a bit broken for a while (sticking forums and all that), but the backend got reworked and it's all fine now - so next update it'll be fixed

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

baka kaba posted:

Looks like you solved it!

Yeah the bookmarks widget has been a bit broken for a while (sticking forums and all that), but the backend got reworked and it's all fine now - so next update it'll be fixed

Why does it even have to be widget? It doesn't have any functionality you'd generally expect from one. Wouldn't adding a new setting in the app to launch it into any subforum you wanted be more, uhh, conventional?

Edit: actually one advantage of this kind of widgets would be if you wanted multiple shortcuts to different locations.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 8, 2018

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sininu posted:

Why does it even have to be widget? It doesn't have any functionality you'd generally expect from one. Wouldn't adding a new setting in the app to launch it into any subforum you wanted be more, uhh, conventional?

Edit: actually one advantage of this kind of widgets would be if you wanted multiple shortcuts to different locations.

Even so a better solution than a widget would be to use Nougat's long-press shortcuts.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

It's just always been like that I guess, a default setting and long-press options are definitely possible though

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I just got myself a Huawei P10 Pro and when I try to log into the app it gives me an error saying "Couldn't get forums data. Please check connection and restart".

I'm also getting it on the tablet that came with the phone. Also a Huawei device.

Anyone know what might be causing it? Happening on both WiFi and 4g.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

Haven't said it in a while, so thank you all for making this awesome app. By far the most used app on my phone. Thank you very much for doing this in your spare time for no compensation.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^ cheers bud

Veotax posted:

I just got myself a Huawei P10 Pro and when I try to log into the app it gives me an error saying "Couldn't get forums data. Please check connection and restart".

I'm also getting it on the tablet that came with the phone. Also a Huawei device.

Anyone know what might be causing it? Happening on both WiFi and 4g.

That's the error you get when it can't get the list of forums. Basically it tries to load each forum page to look for subforums, and if that fails it falls back to loading one forum page (the goldmine) and reading the drop-down forum picker. If it can't even do that, you get the "check your connection" message

So I'd guess it can't load any forums pages for whatever reason. We added the Google Play library for secure connections, but if that were a problem you should be getting popups about it. Does it work on a browser? And have you tried clearing the app data and logging in again?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Ok, I'm an idiot. I don't know why it was giving me the forums data error, but I couldn't log in because I was using the wrong password. Once I put in my actual password the app started working fine.

I guess that's what happens when I rely on Chrome's auto-fill too much. Completely forgot I changed it a few months back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Well I mean ideally it should tell you when the password is wrong... 🤔

But it was giving you the forums data error because it couldn't access the pages without being logged in eh