Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gobblecoque posted:

I'd love to have a separate campaign mode where you don't have the story and thus the missions that freely hand out special snowflake ships, piles of cash, and that highlander. Just be a mercenary company with a ship that's maybe a little better than the leopard struggling to make ends meet. Something like Mount&Blade but with mechs. The game also could really do with having some of the random contracts be bundled together in little mini-campaigns, kind of how the different planets in MW4: Mercs worked. Give what you're doing a bit more context and grounding. Maybe the missions take place in a close enough time frame that you have to deploy a separate lance to each, give a bit of a reason to use some of that huge mechbay and pilot capacity you end up with in the endgame.

I'd be astonished if that wasn't a dlc at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
I knew Yang was a good mechanic, but this might be a tiny bit too good.

Edit: currently validating the games files through Steam, otherwise I have no idea why or how that happened. Anyone know how to fix it?

Double Edit: All files validated successfully. I haven't changed a thing/added any mods, I think I found a bit of a bug here.

King Doom fucked around with this message at 11:24 on May 2, 2018

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Ragingsheep posted:

Is there a Flamer + that adds more heat DMG or more ammo?

There is a variant with heat damage it says something like "+5 Dmg(H)" instead of "+5 Dmg", haven't seen any for improved ammo

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

King Doom posted:

I knew Yang was a good mechanic, but this might be a tiny bit too good.

Making me want to try and trigger this bug with a mech with only energy weapons, and just use it as an immortal zombie still running around punching things to death long after all of its armor is stripped and weapons destroyed.

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

Bloody Pom posted:

Making me want to try and trigger this bug with a mech with only energy weapons, and just use it as an immortal zombie still running around punching things to death long after all of its armor is stripped and weapons destroyed.

it's probably all in the center torso and you'll just wind up getting legged

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh god oh god oh god the entire reinforcement lance is made up of Jagers I'm getting torn to shreds by things I cant see

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

One of the load screen tips quotes "Deadeye" Unthers 'you go slow, you die' line from Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries. :3:

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
That mission with the APCs (you know the one) needs chance for motive system damage and crew stunned.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

When your dropship pilot drop the SQUAWK line. Was that really a Word of Lowtax reference?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sandweed posted:

When your dropship pilot drop the SQUAWK line. Was that really a Word of Lowtax reference?

Yes it was.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Sandweed posted:

:cmon:

I've been having fun a grasshopper loaded with 6 machine guns. Not only do they farm crits, they also are pretty drat good at finding headshots.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 2, 2018

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Sandweed posted:

One of the lead designers is a goon and posts in this very thread, so what do you think? :v:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sandweed posted:

SQAUAAAWWKKK

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I just realized that they only gave the ac10 8 shots per ton. Wtf, why?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
When do I get the better ship so I don't spend 30 days pimping out a cent with LRMs?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

When do I get the better ship so I don't spend 30 days pimping out a cent with LRMs?

3rd non intro story mission.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

SpaceDrake posted:

One of the lead designers is a goon and posts in this very thread, so what do you think? :v:

I think SQUAWK!

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

It's been so long. But I can still hear it over the comnet sometimes. Right after a Spergwarrior leaves the game after being tricked into pressing ALT+F4.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Squawk'n to harvest pubby rage. Good times.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

A.o.D. posted:

3rd non intro story mission.

Prision break?

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Sandweed posted:

Funny as poo poo. Helps that New Vandenburg is actually a decent shopping destination as well.

Any other Easter eggs people find?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Erd posted:

That mission with the APCs (you know the one) needs chance for motive system damage and crew stunned.

just don't step in their way, those are 50 tons of steel going like 200 mph!

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
I had to redo the first non-tutorial mission 5 times because each time the LRMs from the turrets injured at least 3 of my pilots and usually killed one. :negative:

I need to give all of my mechs nice helmets or something.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

I had to redo the first non-tutorial mission 5 times because each time the LRMs from the turrets injured at least 3 of my pilots and usually killed one. :negative:

Heh. My frustration was encountering an SRM carrier for the first time. 'Is that glitched....why is still firing...how can it have....whaaaa....'

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Edit: i think the firestarter is probably better but I don't have one yet to putz around in.
Firestarter with all MGs in the support slots is a lifesaver. I saw a Grasshopper (but only got 1/3 salvage after coring it, didn't have the luxury of trying to disable it whole because it was some mission with a smuggler in the middle of crater lake and I was getting pounded by stuff I couldn't get to) and am excited to use that eventually since I'm getting a littler nervous running the firestarter around in battles with increasingly bigger mechs/guns.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Vehicles don't need heatsinks for ballistics or missiles so uh, yeah, *RM Carriers huh

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Are light mechs still useful later in the game? I got a panther and a griffin now and I'm thinking about subbing one in for the spider/locust. Being able to scout around a little doesn't seem as helpful as having something than can do more than 30 damage a turn.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Light mechs are not very useful in late game no.

Evasion only really helps them when the enemy isn't consisting of weapon boats.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
I was holding out hope that there would be missions that force you to use all light mechs.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

The OP should probably be amended with a recommendation to take the long way round via the southeast in the first proper mission so you can scout out the turret generator and just blast that to pieces.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Hmmm.... a 2.5 skull contract? and the pay off is close to 1.5 million c-bills?Yeah, I can't see how that would go comically wrong.

Edit: a SRM Carrier, a Shreck PPC Carrier, a LRM Carrier, a Spider, a Wolverine and a Hunchback. Yeah, going full salvage on this one was a mistake.

King Doom fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 2, 2018

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Finally saw an Orion and unluckily cored it when it had 3 pilot injuries. Sad. Also opfor has been hitting heads like candy, multiple people maxed out on injuries for me at the moment.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

I was holding out hope that there would be missions that force you to use all light mechs.

The story missions play much better with at least one light or fast medium until the very last one, typically.

Random contracts, not so much. I think mostly because the encounter types that would favor speed didn't get enough testing to go in the game on release going by the latest comments on that AMA a day or so ago.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Are light mechs still useful later in the game? I got a panther and a griffin now and I'm thinking about subbing one in for the spider/locust. Being able to scout around a little doesn't seem as helpful as having something than can do more than 30 damage a turn.

I'm in midgame, but I've observed that:
An MG FS with an Ace Pilot major, Tactics minor makes for a wonderful finisher/backstabber and passable light/vehicle hunter with abuse of reserving.

A Jenner-D can also backstab well and for a wee bit more damage, but isn't nearly as effective since the mass MG can at least cripple fairly reliably if it doesn't kill.

Even without a backstab opening, it can spot for LRMs and help mitigate problems where the bulk of your mech are out of position to deal with surprises.

The rest are hot garbage.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Not force you, but you can do recovery missions with literally 1 light mech.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Sombrerotron posted:

The OP should probably be amended with a recommendation to take the long way round via the southeast in the first proper mission so you can scout out the turret generator and just blast that to pieces.

It's nice to read about all these self-selecting goons that don't think to use the terrain though.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I thought I was doing it wrong because I got to the 5th story mission and didn't lose a single pilot along the way. :shrug:

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

5 times?

5 times!

Zigmidge posted:

It's nice to read about all these self-selecting goons that don't think to use the terrain though.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

I'm thinking of starting a new campaign and replacing the blackjack with a black knight since i only saw one the entire campaign and now everything is assault country. How would i go about doing this, or just making it so they can show up in my finished one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
What I initially tried to do was move the Spider up the south side of the map to shoot out the turret generator and park the other 3 in the middle to bait out their mechs. What actually happened is that they'd sensor lock the spider in the first turn and rain down missiles before it could even get in firing range. Assuming it survived the first barrage it still couldn't do enough damage to the generator to knock it out in less than 3 turns even with help from LRMs. So it would get either die or get crippling damage. Meanwhile the other 3 would be standing in the middle getting pecked at and with the dumb way head shots work they'd usually take injuries.

The solution was to just leave everyone back in the allied base and send the Blackjack up alone to shoot the generator since it could do it in one turn then sprint it back.

The_Angry_Turtle fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 2, 2018