Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'd like to see more new stuff instead of adaptations.

Narrative looks to be as heavily referential as Unicorn was, but you're not wrong.

I mean, I still want to see the RX-78-8, but I accept that as a personal flaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

I haven't read it, but I hope not, because Char's Deleted Affair sounds all kinds of stupid. I mostly just hate it though because it seems to be positing that Char and Haman were so bitter because Haman killed someone Char loved and if she'd really done that then Char would be much more personally invested in killing her, while the actual relationship they have in Zeta seems less personal than that and more ideological. It seems like 0083, and inventing a needlessly dramatic backstory for something the original shows involved already cover adequately.

It also has Haman's sister be forced into being Dozle's mistress which

1) Gross

2) Is an awkward fit with the timeline overall

3) Doesn't fit with Dozle. His thing is that despite being the scariest looking Zabi, he's the good family man and nice guy... while still committing monstrous war crimes and rationalizing them. Him having a mistress feels weird when you look at him and his family's usual dynamics.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Who is Johnny Ridden and is he a big deal I should care about?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

A Zeon ace, and not really.

In more detail, he's not from the anime, although he's got some decent mangas to his name in addition to a lot of model kits. He's the guy in the red mobile suits, unlike Char's salmon, and he got a better killcount since he wasn't spending his days hunting Amuro. They get confused a lot, though, and generally not in Johnny's favor.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 2, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

He's just some rando who happens to be part of the "OYW Ace kill inflation" problem

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Basically Dash Rendar

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Booyah- posted:

Basically Dash Rendar

Not quite.

He's Dash Rendar if every book with Dash had people going up to him and saying "You're Han Solo, right?" and when he tries to correct them they either go "Ha! Good old Han Solo. What a kidder!" or they punch him in the dick for being Han Solo.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They also made a book about ridden being a gundam pilot while going "No I'm not ridden" like the universe cares.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tae posted:

They also made a book about ridden being a gundam pilot while going "No I'm not ridden" like the universe cares.

I think that's the Return of Johnny Ridden manga?

Heard good things, and it's by the same team behind The Plot To Assassinate Gihren, so I keep meaning to check it out at some point.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I like it a lot mainly for the art and characters, it's definitely a rogue one esque "story that didn't need to be told" but it is still entertaining and you get little glimpses into stuff like Char gearing up for CCA. Also Yazan is back and over his brain problems

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

In the bizarro Hasegawa version he's an accidental ace. He only joined the army because his dad signed him up without his consent, he actually hates the Zabi family. He then tries everything to get shot down so he can get discharged. He paints his Zaku red so it would be easier to spot and charges the enemy but he somehow comes out on top and everyone mistakes his efforts for bravery.

In the latter half of the manga he has to disable a mad scientist's superweapon for reasons because that appears to be the only way Hasegawa can think to end a comic.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

RillAkBea posted:

In the bizarro Hasegawa version he's an accidental ace. He only joined the army because his dad signed him up without his consent, he actually hates the Zabi family. He then tries everything to get shot down so he can get discharged. He paints his Zaku red so it would be easier to spot and charges the enemy but he somehow comes out on top and everyone mistakes his efforts for bravery.

In the latter half of the manga he has to disable a mad scientist's superweapon for reasons because that appears to be the only way Hasegawa can think to end a comic.

That sounds awesome and I would love to see that adaptation.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

chiasaur11 posted:

Not quite.

He's Dash Rendar if every book with Dash had people going up to him and saying "You're Han Solo, right?" and when he tries to correct them they either go "Ha! Good old Han Solo. What a kidder!" or they punch him in the dick for being Han Solo.

okay I always thought the Johnny Ridden thing was really stupid but this rules, I need to read one of the mangas about this guy

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Wasn't Johnny Ridden in love with Kycilia Zabi? I remember him having a unicorn emblem to symbolize his courtly intentions, or whatever.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I was asking more if that was player controlled or a scripted set of events. Having never played an SRW game I don't know if you make your own pilot or if you control different characters in your party and fit them with other mecha.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I was asking more if that was player controlled or a scripted set of events. Having never played an SRW game I don't know if you make your own pilot or if you control different characters in your party and fit them with other mecha.

There's no player-made character. You can usually have characters from the same shows/continuities pilot other robots even if they're not their designated robot, unless the plot prohibits that of course.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Droyer posted:

There's no player-made character. You can usually have characters from the same shows/continuities pilot other robots even if they're not their designated robot, unless the plot prohibits that of course.

In V and X you really can only swap people between their own mechs if they get a midseason upgrade to a new one (Kouji can switch from Mazinger Z to Mazonkaiser and back) or if they're a UC or Wing Gundam. All the Wing boys and Noin can pilot any of the Wing suits and everyone from Zeta/Crossbone/CCA/F91/G-Reco can pilot any other UC suit except Bellri who's locked to the G-Self. Some suits have attacks only acessible by their canon pilots (The Zeta for Kamille, ZZ for Judau, and Nu for Amuro)

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Droyer posted:

That part makes sense, only use established characters and suits.

Still what I want to know is that from video showing user inputs or is that a pre setup sequence where he goes ham and one shots a series of villains or was it cut so that you just get to see the evolution of the combos that suit/pilot combo can make?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The Notorious ZSB posted:

That part makes sense, only use established characters and suits.

Still what I want to know is that from video showing user inputs or is that a pre setup sequence where he goes ham and one shots a series of villains or was it cut so that you just get to see the evolution of the combos that suit/pilot combo can make?

It's a strategy game, not an action game. You move your units around the map and then choose an attack from the list. Those are all the attacks the crossbone gundam full cloth has.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Droyer posted:

Those are all the attacks the crossbone gundam full cloth has.

That's really all I was asking about the nature of the video. Thanks.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

chiasaur11 posted:

That's Klim Nick in the Crossbones. He's a genius, you know.

The best part is that he literally has Genius as a pilot skill.

Incidentally that means he's actually pretty good since Genius is a hella good pilot skill.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Omnicrom posted:

The best part is that he literally has Genius as a pilot skill.

Incidentally that means he's actually pretty good since Genius is a hella good pilot skill.

Yeah, Klim is actually one of the better G-Reco pilots. Aida has niche use as "the one who can make any unit have nothing but Post-Move attacks" but that's really only useful if you want to deploy the Yggdrail or G-Arcane.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

chiasaur11 posted:

Not quite.

So who is the Gundam equivalent of Kyle Katarn?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

MechaX posted:

Who is the combination of the two leads and plays an improbably large part in the back story or fluff of the setting? Who combines Amuro and Char? Well, if you're willing to step outside UC there's Jamil Neato at least. In UC though I'm not sure there's any, since that'd be a heroic Newtype Gundam pilot who wears a mask and has family issues tying in to the setting or something. Riddhe is almost there i guess?

Maybe it's more Amuro and Sayla or Amuro and Bright or something actually, since Char isn't really a good analog to Han in this. None of them have nearly as much presence or import in the plot of 0079 though.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 3, 2018

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

MechaX posted:

Kai
This is both my Joke answer and my real one

Ramba Ral, Age 35 is a strong contender.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Kyle is what Luke would be if he were a more generic FPS type hero. So I'm going with Master P. Layer.

Caros
May 14, 2008

MechaX posted:

I'm not sure, but Corran Horn's equivalent is Kira Yamato.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MechaX posted:

Mu La Flaga.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

Kyle is what Luke would be if he were a more generic FPS type hero. So I'm going with Master P. Layer.

Rayer's not much of a Kyle Katarn type. Even aside from being a silent protagonist, he's unusual in how normal he is.

No Newtype powers, no Gundam, and From the Ashes is a game built so you're not an invincible one man army. Running into two Doms is cause for panic, while Amuro was taking down a dozen in three minutes.

Honestly, it's one of the easiest side stories to fit into the timeline. "Australia had some pretty good GM pilots take out most of the remaining Zeonic forces. Also, Zeon tried to build another super weapon, as they are wont to do."

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm guessing everyone is off Build Divers since noone is talking about the new episode?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

There is some discussion about it in the shows thread.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

There's a thread specifically for it

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
and most of the discussion is about how we're kinda off the show

DKD
Dec 25, 2011

MechaX posted:

Quattro Bajeena

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Are you a pre teen or child? If not then Build Divers is probably not for you. That's my hot take having watched 1 episode.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I feel like a kid would be bored by it. It's so loving slow.

From the prologue episode, so from before the show even started, Riku's goal has been to get on the same level as the champion. 5 episodes in, all he's done is kinda listlessly bounce around meeting mentor figures with lots of free time who give him general gameplay advice. Next episode is going to be about him trying to recruit another team mate. So if we're very lucky, episode 7 will be the start of Riku actually trying to climb the ranks towards his goal

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MechaX posted:

I'm gonna go with Banagher on this one

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Guy Goodbody posted:

I feel like a kid would be bored by it. It's so loving slow.
I wonder about that. When I was a kid .hack//Sign was on airing on television and while that is ostensibly way, waaaayyyy slower than Build Divers is it was still relatively popular.

Of course anime consumption is way different than back in like 2003 so perhaps its a moot point.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DKD posted:

Quattro Bajeena

Yes

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm gonna go with Banagher on this one

No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The greatest lesson ever learned from teaching is that adults literally are the worst are determining what a kid would like