Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

The Bloop posted:

I read the lines.

It could certainly have been written better. The monster comment is pretty clearly about the whole package, being transformed from a person into a programmed assassin. The sterilization was just part of it. The actors agree. The writers agree. The director agrees.

Yes, it could have been written far better and this conversation years later is proof of that. But that's the lesson, not "Whedon and The Avengers hate sterile-people"

I don’t give even close to a poo poo what anyone involved with the movie doing damage control says “it actually means,” the way that it is in the movie it’s her calling herself a monster because she can’t have children, and that’s hosed up. You’re jumping through so many hoops to defend it, just stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You gotta see the performance and the passing of the scene, too, which you can't see when you just read the lines

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Can anyone help me settle an argument? I watched the movie with Spanish subtitles with my friends and when Tony takes the flip phone from his pocket the words "a flip phone" appeared on screen. I think it's because someone, probably Strange, mumbled that, and they say it's a subtitle that was added by the directors/translators, either for laughs or to help children in the audience. Who's right?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The performance fails to make chicken poo poo into chicken salad.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Did Thanos include himself in the pool of 50%? That might have been a cool aside, to see him get ashed too.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUosv677ucA

Here it is for posterity.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Spermando posted:

Can anyone help me settle an argument? I watched the movie with Spanish subtitles with my friends and when Tony takes the flip phone from his pocket the words "a flip phone" appeared on screen. I think it's because someone, probably Strange, mumbled that, and they say it's a subtitle that was added by the directors/translators, either for laughs or to help children in the audience. Who's right?

Someone definitely said it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Spermando posted:

It’s said in the film.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Thanks! Anyone remember who said it? Strange, Banner?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MorgaineDax posted:

Someone definitely said it.

It’s Tony who says it in a “I can’t loving believe I have to use a flip phone for this” way.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What's the deal with that btw? It's funny but I'm trying to figure out why Tony would be using that.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

What's the deal with that btw? It's funny but I'm trying to figure out why Tony would be using that.

Steve Rogers sent it to him at the end of Civil War in case Tony needs to get in touch. Tony's still taken aback at how basic it is.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Spermando posted:

Thanks! Anyone remember who said it? Strange, Banner?

Pretty sure it was Tony, exasperated that not only did he have to suffer the indignity of calling Rogers for help, but also that of course the phone that Rogers gave him was a low-tech, old-fashioned flip phone, as if to rub it in. At least, that's the way RDJ played the scene.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ah that makes sense, that makes sense

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sir Kodiak posted:

Steve Rogers sent it to him at the end of Civil War in case Tony needs to get in touch. Tony's still taken aback at how basic it is.

To be fair, Steve sent it to Tony Stank.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

GonSmithe posted:

I don’t give even close to a poo poo what anyone involved with the movie doing damage control says “it actually means,” the way that it is in the movie it’s her calling herself a monster because she can’t have children, and that’s hosed up. You’re jumping through so many hoops to defend it, just stop.

I'm jumping through zero hoops to "defend it" because I don't give a single gently caress either way. I don't have a dog in this fight. If it's bad, it's bad. I did make some effort to look it up because multiple people had a differing opinion and I realized I might be wrong.

You gotta see the performance and the passing of the scene, too, which you can't see when you just read the lines

This is a reasonable suggestion without any histrionics. Thank you. I will check it out when I can.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s Tony who says it in a “I can’t loving believe I have to use a flip phone for this” way.

What's crazy is that he hadn't needed to charge the phone these past couple years and it's still good.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Watching this it seems to me that the scripts intention was to communicate that she feels she has been turned into something with no purpose other than to assassinate, but the problem is the flashbacks focuses heavily on her sterilization rather than on her evil actions, and the ultimate point made in her description of the training is not "I killed a kid" or something but that she was sterilized. It's an unnecessary inclusion and the implication is that the ability to bear children is somehow a key facet in what makes a woman a woman.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Bloop posted:

It was also the programming and the assassining not just the sterilization (for the purpose of sex assassining)

If whedon wasn't involved or a woman wrote it no one would even remember those lines.

alternatively: if the lines were written well nobody would've had an issue with those lines

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

What's crazy is that he hadn't needed to charge the phone these past couple years and it's still good.

It’s safe to say the Iron Man suit acts as both wireless charger and wifi hotspot for anyone nearby.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Detective No. 27 posted:

Mini arc reactors for everyone!

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Augus posted:

alternatively: if the lines were written well nobody would've had an issue with those lines

Right, like they said, if Whedon wasn't involved.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gatts posted:

Not exactly disappointed in Cap's shield since the concept seems to be attack shield. He was basically a Protoss Zealot...the Wakandans were Protoss being attacked by the Black Order Zerg.

And Bucky was that one Marine that still hasn't died yet.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

business hammocks posted:

When Chris Pratt says that the plan was his idea after they get the drop on Thanos, does he mean the incredibly basic and stupid idea of pulling the glove off of him?

I was working under the impression that the "Quinn did everything to further Strange's vision of the one future that doesn't suck" theory is correct, and he was trying to take credit since Mr. Dr. Strange is above such things as "taking credit"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

precision posted:

I was working under the impression that the "Quinn did everything to further Strange's vision of the one future that doesn't suck" theory is correct, and he was trying to take credit since Mr. Dr. Strange is above such things as "taking credit"

You think they’ll have a flashback in the next one where there’s a montage and Strange explains every step of the plan and the reason behind it?

I think there are even odds of that happening vs him just doing whatever was necessary with his dracula medal and then not telling anyone anything.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think even if they do that you'll see a million articles "Avengers 4 ending, explained!"

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Avengers 4 could be a two-hour fistfight and there would still be clickbait offering to explain it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You think they’ll have a flashback in the next one where there’s a montage and Strange explains every step of the plan and the reason behind it?

I think there are even odds of that happening vs him just doing whatever was necessary with his dracula medal and then not telling anyone anything.

Don’t be an idiot. They’ll have Luis narrate the plan instead.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Detective No. 27 posted:

The most realistic part of the movie really

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Don’t be an idiot. They’ll have Luis narrate the plan instead.

Oh God the AMaTW credits tag will be Luis explaining the events of infinity war to Scott before suddenly and violently disentegrating

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh God the AMaTW credits tag will be Luis explaining the events of infinity war to Scott before suddenly and violently disentegrating

I’m going to be SO loving ANGRY if this isn’t it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

When Chris Pratt says that the plan was his idea after they get the drop on Thanos, does he mean the incredibly basic and stupid idea of pulling the glove off of him?

Also it seemed like a subtle joke that after Thanos calls Spiderman an insect he tries to say something but get choked out immediately, because him saying “spiders are arachnids!” is so obvious everyone could instantly imagine it for themselves once the setup arrives.

He clearly meant having Mantis disable Thanos was his plan.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I want that except I want Luis to stay and be in the next Avengers movie to one punch Thanos and explain stuff to catch them up. Like if they all come back he can explain to Strange what went down.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Why didn't Star Lord or someone call him "Thanus"?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Detective No. 27 posted:

I upgraded from a flip phone to a smartphone seven years ago. When I checked last year, my flip phone was still holding its charge. Wasn’t even halfway through.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Naw, they’ll use the “If I told you the plan you’d act differently and clue Thanos in to something being up.” chestnut.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ashpanash posted:

I like the representation of magic in the film as being not some harry potter-esque 'it's in your genes and you get to throw bolts of light at each other through sticks' but rather essentially a martial art that requires a great deal of skill, precision timing, intense concentration, and occasionally the utilization of some powerful objects.

Dr Strange is that guy in the adventuring party who has all the magic items. All of them. You need something done, he's got an item that a wizard spent four months and a boatload of money to make that does exactly that thing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I think it'll be played for laughs. The whole conversation will be something like Strange saying "Quinn... you just do what you do best" knowing that Quinn being a dumb broham is probably the one thing that was consistent in all 14 million realities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Phylodox posted:

I upgraded from a flip phone to a smartphone seven years ago. When I checked last year, my flip phone was still holding its charge. Wasn’t even halfway through.

There's also no need to stop the movie and follow someone to a Battery Plus store or find a charging cable so Stark can use the phone, just as there isn't a need to explain why Stark would have the phone on his person. It's implied, and it's not a major plot point. It's mundane enough to simply chalk up to storytelling expediency. And it's not like the movie needed to be longer.