Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Timeless Appeal posted:

Honestly, I don't think the film is actually that thoughtful an exploration of the value of life or killing. To me, the story is not so much about the specific horrific thing that Thanos wants to do. It's more an exploration of hubris. He's a man who gives up his humanity (titanity?) on the absolute presumption of being right despite the fact that if he loses it's because of his limited world view (Not understanding that Strange giving up the stone wasn't Strange giving up but setting up the only possible win condition for the Avengers).

I think what's interesting about Thanos' motivation/plan is that it's portrayed as cruel not to the half that just go poof, but to the half that are left behind, thinking that they'll thank him for giving them a raise by taking away half their loved ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

precision posted:

I think what's interesting about Thanos' motivation/plan is that it's portrayed as cruel not to the half that just go poof, but to the half that are left behind, thinking that they'll thank him for giving them a raise by taking away half their loved ones

I mentioned that it's significant how most of the main characters and specifically the original Avengers are spared, but all the beloved sidekicks, enemies-turned-allies and emotional centres are gone; Cap's lost Bucky and Falcon, Wakanda's lost its king, Scarlet Witch is gone, Spidey's death scene is particularly significant for Stark, Strange the amazing wizard they just got to know is gone, and the entire Guardians of the Galaxy besides Rocket and Nebula are gone. It's almost Tony's nightmare made manifest, and salt in the wound for Thor who's already lost everything so drat fast.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

It's weird to me that Starlord has the autonomy to go to Earth whenever he wants and loves Earth pop culture but music movies and video games, but he's never gone back for a weekend.

Star-Lord not going to Earth is basically Anakin/Vader never going back to Tatooine.

Although I think we'll eventually see him there, probably in the next movie.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

precision posted:

I may have had a stroke but didn't Cap flirt with Nat and Hawkeye got all catty over it and then they dropped that like a hot rock?

Uh, no? Nat flirted pretty hard with Cap in Winter Soldier, but took it well when he let her down easy.

You're probably thinking of AoU when Cap notes that he's seen Nat flirt, up close, and how she's interacting with Banner is different. Banner gets a bit catty once he processes the implications.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I would have really liked it if they played Crack of Doom by the Tiger Lillies as the credits came up. Perhaps a bit too nihilistic for Marvel.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
In the next one they should play Smell Yo Dick by Riskay over all the dialogue.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC, isn't Steve Roger's home neighbourhood in what was a major gay district of NYC at the time?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mentioned that it's significant how most of the main characters and specifically the original Avengers are spared, but all the beloved sidekicks, enemies-turned-allies and emotional centres are gone; Cap's lost Bucky and Falcon, Wakanda's lost its king, Scarlet Witch is gone, Spidey's death scene is particularly significant for Stark, Strange the amazing wizard they just got to know is gone, and the entire Guardians of the Galaxy besides Rocket and Nebula are gone. It's almost Tony's nightmare made manifest, and salt in the wound for Thor who's already lost everything so drat fast.
Part of the reason the ending doesn't work for me is that the original Avengers are kind of super boring by now. (Except Thor, he's cool.) I feel like we've thoroughly explored that team dynamic by now, and I'd have loved to see some new pairings develop beyond the few seconds they all got in this one before it was time for the next fight. Rocket and Nebula notwithstanding, I hope they shake things up a bit.

It's also why Infinity War reminded me of wrestling. I always liked the colourful midcard wrestlers better than the super serious main eventers.

Serf
May 5, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Part of the reason the ending doesn't work for me is that the original Avengers are kind of super boring by now. (Except Thor, he's cool.) I feel like we've thoroughly explored that team dynamic by now, and I'd have loved to see some new pairings develop beyond the few seconds they all got in this one before it was time for the next fight. Rocket and Nebula notwithstanding, I hope they shake things up a bit.

It's also why Infinity War reminded me of wrestling. I always liked the colourful midcard wrestlers better than the super serious main eventers.

I hope that they also include Wong, Shuri, Okoye, M'Baku etc. in the next movie too. They were fun for the short snippets we got of them in this one, so it would be interesting to have them come back and bring the perspectives of Strange and Black Panther in some way.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

It's weird to me that Starlord has the autonomy to go to Earth whenever he wants and loves Earth pop culture but music movies and video games, but he's never gone back for a weekend.

There is no money to be made on Earth. Also most of his childhood was spent in space. He has no frame of reference to anything there beyond the pop culture of 3 decades ago. And cancer wards.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

evilmiera posted:

He has no frame of reference to anything there beyond the pop culture of 3 decades ago.
Well poo poo, he'll fit right in. Guy's gonna be over the moon when Tony takes him to see Ready Player One.

e: probably gonna be Spidey rather than Tony, now that I think about it.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 4, 2018

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

The only interesting thing left about Captain America is what adventures he and the off-brand avengers were having in Europe.

I assume European supervillains are all pretty lovely and that a robust welfare state probably prevents a lot of supercrime.

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

THAT'S NOT A BALD SPOT!! that's just where my cat was eating my dandruff

My Lovely Horse posted:

If Shuri doesn't take over as Black Panther and fix Vision immediately in the next one I'm gonna be very disappointed. Would also accept an Okoye or M'Baku Panther

It also seems like they could be setting up Cassie Lang for some action in the next one too so maybe we'll start getting some Young Avengers. It's also making me nervous about Paul Rudd getting out of Ant-Man & The Wasp alive.

Really I can't see them not packing Avengers 4 with heroes we haven't met yet or that didn't get anything to do in 3. I'll be incredibly surprised if it's just the same old team and we don't get crazy poo poo like Valkyrie & Korg showing up with the surviving Asgardians or maybe the Ravagers team or a Nova or some more space weirdos to rescue Tony & Nebula or give Captain Marvel a ride back to Earth This movie did a really great job of hitting a constant resounding "H E L L Y E A H" feel while still tantalizingly leaving out a bunch of conspicuous stuff. Now I'm overly excited for the next one and this wait is gonna be agonizing.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Dietrich posted:

the implication is that the ability to bear children is somehow a key facet in what makes a woman a woman.

lol

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Come to think of it, isn't the snappening a really lovely double wammy outcome for Gomorrah's people and the Asguardians, of whom Thanos has already culled before he snapped is fingers.

Also I said this before but Thanos is full of poo poo. He never included himself as part of the everybody that got culled, because, well, you know, he wanted to be the hero. And not die, because that is a horrible thing.

He should have had the courage of his convictions and volunteered to be last against the wall, taking the gauntlet with him so there would be no backsies.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Back to music chat, this is going to sound weird, and I mean this with sincerity, but they should have played We've Only Just Begun by Carpenters. That ending swell would have fit perfectly with Thanos's victory sit.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Okay, on second thought, Tony still has Ant-Man's number, we're getting Wasp, Nick Fury is paging Captain Marvel, and if we're lucky Dr. Strange shows up through time fuckery but even if not we're probably actually good for a fairly well varied team.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Matt Lindland posted:

This is the most popular movie ever made but I think we can probably do better if

1. The entire soundtrack is a single Rush album
2. all the characters kiss and jack each other off and say they love to touch each others dicks
3. The plot of 4 is hulk putting together a powerpoint presentation that explains why thanos should have wished for 2x universe instead of .5x population
4. All these fake deaths are replaced by real deaths, RDJ's head is cut off by helicopter blades at the climax of the film
5. The whole thing should be washed out, constantly raining, and at least a third of the movie should be in slow motion
6. Get rid of all the jokes.

8. But in china

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Collateral posted:

Also I said this before but Thanos is full of poo poo. He never included himself as part of the everybody that got culled, because, well, you know, he wanted to be the hero. And not die, because that is a horrible thing.

I think he did. I cannot figure out where he is at the end of the film. It looks like he is viewing a glorious reborn version of Titan, but after seeing Tony and Nebula still among the junk, I am more willing to believe that Thanos did perish as one of the 50%, safe in the knowledge that his plan worked. He is not wearing the gauntlet at all in that scene.

At least, it would be doubly interesting if that was the case!

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Cythereal posted:

Uh, no? Nat flirted pretty hard with Cap in Winter Soldier, but took it well when he let her down easy.

Probably the most misunderstood scene in Winter Soldier. She wasn't flirting at all. The scene is there to juxtapose Roger's old school values and Romanov's / Shield's.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

VideoGames posted:

I think he did. I cannot figure out where he is at the end of the film. It looks like he is viewing a glorious reborn version of Titan, but after seeing Tony and Nebula still among the junk, I am more willing to believe that Thanos did perish as one of the 50%, safe in the knowledge that his plan worked. He is not wearing the gauntlet at all in that scene.

Yeah, I was wondering if he was supposed to be inside of the soul stone during that final scene - I assume he died as well, and in the comics weren’t there characters similarly trapped in the stone at some point?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

VideoGames posted:

He's basically retired to a farm, having done what he set out to do.

He's wearing the gauntlet there.

He isn't when he has the vision of young Gamora in the soul stone. That's basically him speaking to his conscience. It's a little bit of doubt creeping in, which will likely lead to his defeat.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

A good article

https://twitter.com/SlaylerJ/status/992176509917032448

Gamora got a raw deal in the movie, and I hope she gets hers in the second one.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

porfiria posted:

I thought it was great! And I haven't enjoyed a Marvel movie in a while. This kind of did the only thing that can make one of these interesting at this point, which is up the stakes to the absolute limit. So (although they'll hopefully kill a bunch of people off in the next one) it's kind of the end of the line.

On Thanos's motivations:

He's sort of the ultimate utilitarian, so to me it really comes down to whether or not you buy that powerful people ever actually do awful things because they think it'll be for the best, or if in the end it's all rationalizing selfishness and moral compromise. I mean, is it fair to say Hitler genuinely wanted to help the people of Germany, and he just made the mistake of being racist and nationalist? That doesn't seem right. Thanos is portrayed as completely earnest and selfless--he's just objectively, insanely wrong.

Watch how many republicans come out agreeing with thanos

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I've said it before and I'll say it again; I agree with former UFC fighter; Matt 'The Law' Lindland.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

The Russos just confirmed that Gamora is in fact, inside the Soul Stone.

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

THAT'S NOT A BALD SPOT!! that's just where my cat was eating my dandruff

Shageletic posted:

A good article

Gamora's gotten a raw deal in all these movies it's a real bummer.

MixMastaTJ
Dec 14, 2017

Collateral posted:

Come to think of it, isn't the snappening a really lovely double wammy outcome for Gomorrah's people and the Asguardians, of whom Thanos has already culled before he snapped is fingers.

He should have had the courage of his convictions and volunteered to be last against the wall, taking the gauntlet with him so there would be no backsies.

Weird. You mean the bad guy might have a major character flaw and be a bit of hypocrite???

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Scyantific posted:

The Russos just confirmed that Gamora is in fact, inside the Soul Stone.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GaNGKD4MTV0

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Straight Outta CompUSA posted:

Gamora's gotten a raw deal in all these movies it's a real bummer.

I think part of it is how they were sort of in a corner what the way they show everyone's abilities and stuff and had to tone down the Guardians in general. Like in the comics Drax or Gamora could kill Thanos if they wanted to and IIRC Drax is even strong enough to like hold the power gem in his bare hand and stuff like that. I like the Guardians movies a lot but a few of them did get screwed over by how they fit into the kind of movie Gunn wanted to do and having it fit into the MCU.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
hot take: Gamora was never the most dangerous woman in the universe, it was just a good branding effort by Thanos that stuck

MixMastaTJ
Dec 14, 2017

Shageletic posted:

A good article

Good read but I disagree. That is effectively what GotG 2 was about and I thought the big Thanos vs Gamora scene along with the soul stone scenes did a pretty solid job presenting that relationship. Of course, it's also a hosed up movie where the most terrible person in the universe gets what he wants so the results of these scenes are negative. But I think it makes a huge difference that they were handled with such maturity.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I have to say I’m happy finally got to see Bleeding Edge. It is my favorite Iron Man Armor.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The lack of Ragnarok continuity may just be down to timing - Waititi got a pretty blank cheque to do what he wanted and it would've been made at a pretty similar time to Infinity War. I imagine those characters will show up again though given the success of the movie.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Neo Rasa posted:

I still can't believe we're in a world with multiple movies featuring Thor, the Guardians and Thanos and all the stuff with the gems and they haven't used a single Hawkwind or Deep Purple song on any of the soundtracks. Like they were able to put 2 and 2 together and use Iron Man at the end of Iron Man but forgot what folks were clearly listening to when these comics were being written and vice versa. Like Avenger 4's entire soundtrack should just be the Hawkwind album Masters of the Universe or Sabbath's Master of Reality.

I'm listening to these for the first time right now and yes it would have been sweet. The move isn't afraid to have a lot of throwbacks visually, from the character design to the prog-like space stuff, so why not have a soundtrack to match. Although like someone else said, anything would have been better than the forgettable sonic wallpaper it's got now

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ant man will get the Wasp pregnant but find the eggs have been implanted in his own body, they will hatch and eat his brain from the inside out.

Ick, "new men". :barf:

MixMastaTJ
Dec 14, 2017

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The lack of Ragnarok continuity may just be down to timing - Waititi got a pretty blank cheque to do what he wanted and it would've been made at a pretty similar time to Infinity War. I imagine those characters will show up again though given the success of the movie.

Aside from the off screen deaths of all the best characters they also really hosed over Thor and Hulk's whole character arcs. Banner gets Hulk Erectile Dysfunction out of the blue after so much time focused on how Hulk was taking over? Thor's entire arc was becoming a strong leader who put the needs of his people over everything. He had to learn to accept letting monsters run free and letting go of his home for the sake of his people. With the flip of a switch, he's an aloof loner out to kill Thanos at any cost.

Like, the character aspects the film explores are cool and interesting but it totally abandons the path the characters were already on.

My point being if their bible isn't keeping track of major character arcs, they've got some hosed up priorities.

MixMastaTJ fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 4, 2018

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

MixMastaTJ posted:

Like, the character aspects the film explores are cool and interesting but it totally abandons the path the characters were already on.

Eh, considering Thor 3's willingness to diverge from the previous movies, none of this is any sort of problem for Thor 4. This stuff only matters to the extent that later filmmakers decide it would be interesting to have it matter.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

MixMastaTJ posted:

Aside from the off screen deaths of all the best characters they also really hosed over Thor and Hulk's whole character arcs. Banner gets Hulk Erectile Dysfunction out of the blue after so much time focused on how Hulk was taking over? Thor's entire arc was becoming a strong leader who put the needs of his people over everything. He had to learn to accept letting monsters run free and letting go of his home for the sake of his people. With the flip of a switch, he's an aloof loner out to kill Thanos at any cost.

My point being if their bible isn't keeping track of major character arcs, they've got some hosed up priorities.

What makes you so sure that Valkyrie and the others are dead? The movie clearly stated that half of Thor's people made it out alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Doflamingo posted:

What makes you so sure that Valkyrie and the others are dead? The movie clearly stated that half of Thor's people made it out alive.

People keep saying that they saw Valkyrie dead in the intro scene, even though the corpse they’re talking about has a Mohawk. The Russo’s have even said it’s not her and she’s alive.