Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Start the reactorrr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Xarbala posted:

Actually the art was still done by Duane Loose when the clans were released, the guy just had more practice since tro3025.

the revised tros do use new art though

I guess people really can improve if they just draw robit for 6 years straight!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

OhGreatAGinger posted:

No offense to the artists but it still boggles my mind to look through the old TROs and behold the sheer lack of aesthetic sense of all lot of the designs some of which are so bad not even Alex Iglesias can convince me they're cool.

Exhibit A) The ANH-1A Annihilator
http://cfw.sarna.net/wiki/images/6/64/MWO_Annihilator.png?timestamp=20180121125416

"Hey, you know how the cockpit is the one weak point of all mechs? How about we put it well away from the torso, surely it won't get hit then :downs:"

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

better than the first official art anyway

shoot it in the dick and the arms fly off!

Ah I loved that toy

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
I actully like the giant wannabe-geth mech. :saddowns:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I don't know why it took me this long to out this together, but does tabletop not use miniatures? I always assumed there were minis, but I just realized I haven't ever seen any.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Cobbsprite posted:

Oh my god, it looks like someone started drawing a geth and then remembered when they were mostly done that they were making battletech stuff instead.

Arguably it's not Battletech enough

http://cfw.sarna.net/wiki/images/8/8b/3050_Annihlator.jpg?timestamp=20110719170118

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't know why it took me this long to out this together, but does tabletop not use miniatures? I always assumed there were minis, but I just realized I haven't ever seen any.

It can. It's not necessary though.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Big Beef City posted:

Anime was never cool bro

Anime forgives you for your wrong bad opinions

For real though is there a specific term to refer to the "basically a gun platform on a 4-legged mobile tripod" style of design for this kind of thing? I much prefer it to the "we put legs and guns on a box lorry" look.

OhGreatAGinger posted:

No offense to the artists but it still boggles my mind to look through the old TROs and behold the sheer lack of aesthetic sense of all lot of the designs some of which are so bad not even Alex Iglesias can convince me they're cool.

http://cfw.sarna.net/wiki/images/6/64/MWO_Annihilator.png?timestamp=20180121125416

Anyone else see the iguana head chest?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I have one new wish: I'd like to be able to move mechs around the various positions in the bays without having to move them to storage.

My broken brain just wants the tonnage numbers to be ordered right. :(

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Synthbuttrange posted:

better than the first official art anyway

I forgot that when I first saw this art I thought that it rolled around on wheels

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

Anyone else see the iguana head chest?

I can't unsee it now. The Annihilator, a mech who wanted to be a kaiju.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

TMMadman posted:

I have one new wish: I'd like to be able to move mechs around the various positions in the bays without having to move them to storage.

My broken brain just wants the tonnage numbers to be ordered right. :(

Same, I've put mechs in and out of storage just to rearrange them

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

OhGreatAGinger posted:

The fact that no one ever went "hey lets redesign all this poo poo so it looks halfway consistent" boggles the mind. Hell, the whole "unseen" thing confuses me. Why didn't they make new designs that wouldn't get them sued?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Improbable Lobster posted:

The fact that no one ever went "hey lets redesign all this poo poo so it looks halfway consistent" boggles the mind. Hell, the whole "unseen" thing confuses me. Why didn't they make new designs that wouldn't get them sued?

That's explicit what the Reseen are.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Mission begins, Sumire drops the squad off next to a lake.

Glitch: "Let's get this over with so we can go swimming!" :yayclod:

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

They did, called the Reseen. HG sued anyway because lol

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Xarbala posted:

Same, I've put mechs in and out of storage just to rearrange them

Yeah I blew a cool $3mil + 3-4 months just rearranging all my poo poo once I got every mech I wanted. It took forever in real time though because of how bad load times get once you have an end-game inventory.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Why, exactly, does HG keep suing? What's their endgame?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Night10194 posted:

They're IP trolls

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Wizard Styles posted:

Mission begins, Sumire drops the squad off next to a lake.

Glitch: "Let's get this over with so we can go swimming!" :yayclod:

I read this post as I was loading into a battle and the exact same thing happened.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Night10194 posted:

These days, Harmony Gold has no source of income other than some real estate in California, and IP lawsuit trolling.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

It does use minis. They come in the starter box.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

They're not necessary by the rules, and you can use any properly sized token as long as it shows facing.

The official minis are here http://ironwindmetals.com/store/index.php?cPath=16 and have a wide range of quality.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Finally nabbed a King Crab, is this thing better as a huge, gently caress off LRM carrier , or with the 2x AC 20's?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Ghetto Prince posted:

Finally nabbed a King Crab, is this thing better as a huge, gently caress off LRM carrier , or with the 2x AC 20's?

I'm pretty sure if you don't put dual AC20s on a King Crab some guys show up at your house to have a talk with you.

edit: that's secondhand knowledge because I would never think of not putting dual AC20s on a King Crab

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Just read that PC Gamer interview. Good to see that they plan on adding Ironman into the game at some point, that's kinda what I want most right now.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Am I just not supposed to be able to get missions in Taurian Concordant space? I'm at the point where I have heavy mechs and yet all of the missions are basically "LOL NOPE NOBODY LIKES YOU GO".

Kind of sucks since those systems have all the good stuff.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Has anyone started to document where certain types of mechs can be found? I really want an urbie.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Got a grasshopper and strapped it full of MGs and lasers and charge into battle.

It kills stuff real good until I inevitably overextend and get loving creamed while my more sensible mechs haul the remains back to the drop ship.

Maybe I need a more reasonable load out and tactic.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Am I just not supposed to be able to get missions in Taurian Concordant space? I'm at the point where I have heavy mechs and yet all of the missions are basically "LOL NOPE NOBODY LIKES YOU GO".

Kind of sucks since those systems have all the good stuff.

Depending on where you are in the story, not being allowed in Taurian space makes sense.

All the regions open up post game.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I'm pretty sure if you don't put dual AC20s on a King Crab some guys show up at your house to have a talk with you.

edit: that's secondhand knowledge because I would never think of not putting dual AC20s on a King Crab
You sure? Because I packed mine with 2xAC5, 2xMLas, and total of 18 SRM tubes and nobody did sh-... *door bell ringing* ...-iiiiiiit. Gotta run!

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

Got a grasshopper and strapped it full of MGs and lasers and charge into battle.

It kills stuff real good until I inevitably overextend and get loving creamed while my more sensible mechs haul the remains back to the drop ship.

Maybe I need a more reasonable load out and tactic.

if your armor is maxed and you are using vigilance constantly you shouldn't have too many problems with it

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

sandoz posted:

if your armor is maxed and you are using vigilance constantly you shouldn't have too many problems with it

I think my issue was I forgot to pop vigilance at the worst possible time.

I got bruised up in one mission using vigilance. When I forgot to use it as the reinforcements jumped me, it was a one way ticket to hosing rookie guts out of the cockpit and replacing a lot of limbs and systems.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

InAndOutBrennan posted:

Scan
Scan
Heading 45
Speed 5
Scan
Scan
Target 2
Fire 1
Fire 2
Scan
Fire 3

Etc. Good times. (Names of actual commands might differ).

Do people still play these things?

My time was more spent spamming .n and changing headings by single degrees - but I was an idiot reconner and died more to walls than weaponsfire.

Not sure how many people play anymore. Nearly all of the MUXes are gone now, I know that, but it's hard to tell populations since all of them have WHO shut off so there's no way to know how many people are playing without going to play.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

raverrn posted:

They did, called the Reseen. HG sued anyway because lol

lmao

feedmegin posted:

It does use minis. They come in the starter box.

Wasn't there a new starter box with MWO/FD/HBS mech designs coming out? Is there a date for that or did I just dream it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

A.o.D. posted:

These days, Harmony Gold has no source of income other than some real estate in California, and IP lawsuit trolling.

arguably they don’t need any other source of income because the point of ip trolling is to be extremely lucrative

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Also lol at the voice actor for Ostergaard, when he showed up I was like "who spilled Deus Ex in my Battletech".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWjrHaQpfd8

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Tempest_56 posted:

My time was more spent spamming .n and changing headings by single degrees - but I was an idiot reconner and died more to walls than weaponsfire.

Not sure how many people play anymore. Nearly all of the MUXes are gone now, I know that, but it's hard to tell populations since all of them have WHO shut off so there's no way to know how many people are playing without going to play.
this brings me back

I'm fairly sure I'm one of the people responsible for getting Battle Armor banned from that one server that was Planetside with mechs.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Wasn't there a new starter box with MWO/FD/HBS mech designs coming out? Is there a date for that or did I just dream it.
Yeah. The trade off being you're getting 8 really nice minis instead of 24 really cheap ones (plus the two clan mechs) from the old starter.

Also here are some reseen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Axetrain posted:

Also lol at the voice actor for Ostergaard, when he showed up I was like "who spilled Deus Ex in my Battletech".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWjrHaQpfd8

Oh god damnit I was going completely insane trying to figure out where I'd heard that voice before :doh: