Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

This thread moves fast. Anyone got a solid orion build for up close as well as distance work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

combining PPCs and LRMs will never be bad

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Viva Miriya posted:

This thread moves fast. Anyone got a solid orion build for up close as well as distance work?

Large lasers and AC/20's work well

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Hey.

Fix the loving dropship bug at the end of missions. I don't want to beat a superior force then have a dropship immediately and unavoidably land on half my lance with zero warning. The savescum workaround of withdrawing to check the dropship location then loading to complete the mission properly is stupid and takes forever.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Black Balloon posted:

Hey.

Fix the loving dropship bug at the end of missions. I don't want to beat a superior force then have a dropship immediately and unavoidably land on half my lance with zero warning. The savescum workaround of withdrawing to check the dropship location then loading to complete the mission properly is stupid and takes forever.

Have you considered paying attention the first time around?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

How did battletech ever go anywhere? These things are ugly as all gently caress

They got by for a long time on all the licensed designs til Harmony Gold kicked up a stink and decided patent trolling was their goal.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

I'm glad they kept the KEEP ON TRUCKIN' attitude from the original Kintaro drawing.

The Wyvern's something else, though.

On an entirely different subject: I now have a Maverick and a Goose in my barracks. :coal:

I must ensure I never ever eject Goose from his mech, though.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

If you look around the map with alt pressed, you can look for the dropship warning pips.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't remember how to build mechs to not suck in MW4:M lol. I'm just slapping lasers and srms into whatever and hoping for the best.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ardlen posted:

If you look around the map with alt pressed, you can look for the dropship warning pips.
You don't even have to press alt, you just need to look at the terrain warning signs. Like, the giant loving red signs on the terrain when you mouse over an area. I cannot imagine how anyone missed them, but people keep doing it apparently.

Though given how much this comes up, I beginning to wonder if there might actually be a display bug.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

That poor Crab, what kind of monster would do that

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ravenfood posted:

You don't even have to press alt, you just need to look at the terrain warning signs. Like, the giant loving red signs on the terrain when you mouse over an area. I cannot imagine how anyone missed them, but people keep doing it apparently.

Though given how much this comes up, I beginning to wonder if there might actually be a display bug.

Yeah, I mean I've never had a problem with seeing where the dropship lands so I can only assume it's a display bug or something.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Black Balloon posted:

Hey.

See those red things? If you try to move on them a big rear end thing comes up and says MECHS THAT STOP HERE ARE AT RISK OF DESTRUCTION.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The display red markings does disappear at times. It's a bug.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah, I mean I've never had a problem with seeing where the dropship lands so I can only assume it's a display bug or something.
On the other hand people can be real dumb sometimes (like how you get people saying they didn't realize they had to shoot the turret generators on the first mission) so I mean, I don't think we can discount stupidity

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've seen multiple people saying that because ejection happened outside of player control the first time, that ejection was always out of player control and isnt part of the regular game. :psyduck:

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

ded posted:

See those red things? If you try to move on them a big rear end thing comes up and says MECHS THAT STOP HERE ARE AT RISK OF DESTRUCTION.

The red things that frequently don't actually exist? Yeah awesome, big help.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

ded posted:

Im pretty sure the issue is other terrain blocks the dropship warning, so water or forest or rough ground makes it hard to identify the drop ship in general since you can only see space you can move into and you also can't tell the full extent

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Synthbuttrange posted:

I've seen multiple people saying that because ejection happened outside of player control the first time, that ejection was always out of player control and isnt part of the regular game. :psyduck:

I lost Glitch because I didn't know you could eject.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
The drop ship stuff is kind of annoying though. I ended a mission once by stomping a tank to have the dropship dump itself on the exact spot that tank was at sending the MechWarrior to the med bay for 90 days and basically totalling a fresh mech.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Man look at this guy here.

Battletech more like Battloltech

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm mostly just irritated about the dropship thing in that if you end up triggering it to come, you get no ability to react and move anything. It would make more sense if on turn X the drop ship would always arrive, but if killing the last guy does it, why not wait a turn?

Edit: what the Rabbi said

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

kaesarsosei posted:

Only stumbled upon this today and it looks fantastic. Does anyone remember a mid 90s game called Missionforce: Cyberstorm? Am I right to think this is in that vein? That’s one of my favourite games of all time.

Holy shitballs. I've been trying to remember the name of that game for fifteen years. YES, this is basically the same. Holy poo poo, thank you. I can finally get that question out of my drat head.

Sadistic
Dec 1, 2004
In his image God made me ugly.
I'm almost at the end and I'm still not sure how to eject because I'm a bad.

I also made a punch bot and it's awesome.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sadistic posted:

I'm almost at the end and I'm still not sure how to eject because I'm a bad.

See that red button above the mech readout? In the lower left? That's the ejection button.

Sadistic
Dec 1, 2004
In his image God made me ugly.
Oh poo poo, thank you!

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014
Not knowing about the ejection button is something I can see because the game doesn't really tell you about it (or a lot of things, honestly, speaking as someone who wasn't super familiar with Battletech) and it's not super prominent on the UI, I can see someone missing that.

Now dropship landings, yeah that confused the hell out of me until I learned about fact the bug where the warnings won't render at all.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
I'm kind of at a loss for how to continue my campaign. Just finished Prison Break and doing 2 star missions but I can't actually figure out a way to beat any of the ones currently on offer.

My team is:

Panther: PPC and L Laser++

Blackjack: Double AC/5

Vindicator: PPC, L Laser, and six heat sinks

Shadowhawk : AC/5, SRM/6, M Laser and MG

Jump jets on everybody

The three missions I have right now are all Battle missions that have me facing 4-5 mediums in a mix of hunchbacks, griffons, and shadowhawks. Then 3-4Jenners and Firestarters. Even if I'm constantly falling back and keeping a distance I'm eating about 30-60 damage a turn from the mediums and 20-40 from the lights. The mediums can take a lot of shots before going down and the AI is pretty smart about ensuring the one I'm focusing down retreats and uses defensive skills. By sheer volume of shots fired I'm losing an arm or leg on something about every other turn past the 3rd round. And I'm about to go insane from the turn length of all their light guys moving at once.

Did I do the story mission too fast and now my team is too trashy to continue or am I just bad?

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

I'm kind of at a loss for how to continue my campaign. Just finished Prison Break and doing 2 star missions but I can't actually figure out a way to beat any of the ones currently on offer.

My team is:

Did I do the story mission too fast and now my team is too trashy to continue or am I just bad?

I wouldn't say it's because you're bad dude. From the looks of your lance you basically just need to up-tonnage into some better mechs. I'd be looking for Griffins, Hunchbacks, Enforcers or a Kintaro/Centurion to help pad the lineout more. I'd be sorely tempted to replace the Vindicator with the LRM build for the Centurion.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ded posted:

It will CT core out pretty much any mech.

You, uh, are really optimistic about having 15 opportunities to use those AC/20s, aren't you?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

My team is:

Jump jets on everybody

The three missions I have right now are all Battle missions that have me facing 4-5 mediums in a mix of hunchbacks, griffons, and shadowhawks. Then 3-4Jenners and Firestarters. Even if I'm constantly falling back and keeping a distance I'm eating about 30-60 damage a turn from the mediums and 20-40 from the lights. The mediums can take a lot of shots before going down and the AI is pretty smart about ensuring the one I'm focusing down retreats and uses defensive skills. By sheer volume of shots fired I'm losing an arm or leg on something about every other turn past the 3rd round. And I'm about to go insane from the turn length of all their light guys moving at once.

You can pick your fights, provided you've got the money to go planet-hopping. If you travel to a different planet, you'll be offered new missions upon arrival.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Battle missions tend to have you fight two lances, maybe look for a mission type where you have more room to fight things one at a time, and use that to try to capture a hunchback or something as an upgrade?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Cool buff

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

My team is:

Jump jets on everybody

You have built all of your mechs to be snipers. So, it's not a surprise that you start to suffer against fast mechs that close the distance. Generally you should only have 1 or 2 snipers with the rest of your mechs designed to be durable and heat-efficient so they can tank damage while your snipers blow holes in armor. Then use called shots to focus your 5+ medium lasers on weakened torsos. Since most of your mechs have all their damage focused into 1 or 2 weapons, evasion and misses really hurt you. If you have mechs with loads of mediums/missiles, you have more chances to hit and actually deal damage.

Remember to make use of bulwark (skill that reduces all damage by 50%) and soft cover like trees (reduces damage by 25%). Also keep in mind you can change the facing of your mech to spread out damage/hide weak spots. You don't need to be staring down the enemy all the time, you can torso twist. If you have some front-line mechs, you don't need to constantly retreat as they will keep agro and your snipers/lrm boats can shoot with relative impunity. Remember to focus fire whenever possible. Have all your mechs shoot at the same target and prioritize removing the number of weapons that are shooting back at you. You can usually strip the majority of weapons from most mechs with careful use of precision/called shot.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 6, 2018

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mean debuff

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

A.o.D. posted:

You, uh, are really optimistic about having 15 opportunities to use those AC/20s, aren't you?
I don't think it's optimism that drives a man to bring 15 shots of double AC20+++.

What the gently caress has that mech seen in it's life :stare:

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Section Z posted:

I don't think it's optimism that drives a man to bring 15 shots of double AC20+++.

What the gently caress has that mech seen in it's life :stare:

Sometimes you just have to fire an ac/20 on every shot, regardless of accuracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I too am struggling after the prison break. Mostly because I'm not getting any decent mechs in the missions afterwards :(. I'm running the stock mechs at this point (Blackjack, Shadow, Centurion, Vindicator) and I keep coming across bloody Cicadas, Shadows and Vindicators.

I've seen ONE Treb and Hunchback in the 5 missions I've done after the prison break :(