Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

LastInLine posted:

it should be noted that youre looking at a specific subset of android users which is the group only interested in price

this group cares mostly about specs because its not like they can afford to shop based on how good an experience the device gives the user so they have to get the best crappy experience their $200 can buy and at that pricepoint some things like ram and software variant matter more than others

they dont mention the iphones performance for the same reason they dont mention the pixels or the galaxy s9 which is they cant afford one so it doesnt matter

they can afford a iphone se or a 6s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shaggar posted:

slowfarti has always been slow and lovely because its bad and uses too much ram and iphones always have tiny ram in them

Blue Train posted:

The cpu has nothing to do with apps getting swapped out and shaggar is right

butt dickus posted:

maybe it's because not having pages reload when you switch apps is more important on a mobile device than how many bitcoins you can mine

slide title:
when you’ve never used an apple device

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Themage posted:

slide title:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ram-management-apps-reloading.2085612/

:thunk:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Celexi posted:

they can afford a iphone se or a 6s

no matter what there will always be an anti apple contingent though that would be the best option for most of these people esp. the ones who just want a value phone that works

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Themage posted:

slide title:

lol I've used a bunch. slowfarti sucks on all of them.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

actually, it’s really good

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

it should be noted that youre looking at a specific subset of android users which is the group only interested in price

this group cares mostly about specs because its not like they can afford to shop based on how good an experience the device gives the user so they have to get the best crappy experience their $200 can buy and at that pricepoint some things like ram and software variant matter more than others

they dont mention the iphones performance for the same reason they dont mention the pixels or the galaxy s9 which is they cant afford one so it doesnt matter

lol, i resemble this post but at the same time uh i have a use case for my droid phone and one for my iphone so eh

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
misread that at first as you saying you had a case for each phone, like you carried them next to each other on your belt

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

President Beep posted:

misread that at first as you saying you had a case for each phone, like you carried them next to each other on your belt

how else am i gonna look cool?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

syscall girl posted:

how else am i gonna look cool?

valid

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the android thread is surprised that an ad company is serving them ads

Mr. Despair posted:

I don't remember seeing them on my pixel when it got the newer non-swipeable design, but it's possible that it just died in whatever brief window there was between the new layout and the new ads getting pushed.

Or it's only being sent out to non-pixel phones, I should boot up the pixel and see if it's getting the same cards.

e.

Left is my essential phone, right is an og pixel. :thunk:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
essentially, garbage

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
essentially useless

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

the android thread is surprised that an ad company is serving them ads

is the joke that there are basically 2 ads for avengers and nintendo on the right

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Generic Monk posted:

is the joke that there are basically 2 ads for avengers and nintendo on the right

i just assume it's a loss joke and tune out

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Generic Monk posted:

the joke is that someone bought an essential phone

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

The Management posted:

the joke is that someone bought an essential phone

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

amazon fire phone

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

supports hand waving away gestures

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Fire sale phone is a good standalone joke, bezdozer is an idiot and looks like a penis

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

the best part is that entire thing is a mockup, there's nothing functional

so your typical android

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

lol

A report from a solid source that just hit the wire on Friday morning suggests that Samsung may finally have a launch schedule in place for its mysterious new Galaxy X. The company first confirmed that it was working on a smartphone with a foldable display back in 2017. At the time, a Samsung executive said that the company was targeting 2018 for the phone’s release, but numerous reports have since stated that the phone’s debut has bene pushed back to 2019. Honestly, that’s a very good thing, and it’s uncharacteristic for Samsung. The company has been known to rush out new products long before they’re ready for primetime, so it’s refreshing to see Samsung take a step back and make sure it gets things right before releasing the Galaxy X.

According to this new report, the phone will have a 3.5-inch screen on the outside and the approximate equivalent of two 3.5-inch displays on the inside. When it folds open, its total screen area will be in the high 6-inch range. It’s a nifty idea and the Galaxy X could be truly impressive if Samsung manages to use a folding OLED panel so there’s no seam where the hinge is placed. But to be frank, it’s really not all that appealing to me. The device is bound to be awkwardly thick, and I’m not sure gaining a diagonal inch is worth dealing with the large size, the inevitable hit to battery life, or the weird aspect ratio.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Blue Train posted:

According to this new report, the phone will have a 3.5-inch screen on the outside and the approximate equivalent of two 3.5-inch displays on the inside. When it folds open, its total screen area will be in the high 6-inch range. It’s a nifty idea and the Galaxy X could be truly impressive if Samsung manages to use a folding OLED panel so there’s no seam where the hinge is placed. But to be frank, it’s really not all that appealing to me. The device is bound to be awkwardly thick, and I’m not sure gaining a diagonal inch is worth dealing with the large size, the inevitable hit to battery life, or the weird aspect ratio.

:pray::pray::pray:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://www.anandtech.com/show/12713/htc-teases-next-flagship-phone-for-may-23rd-htc-u12-incoming

quote:

HTC has begun to ramp up their marketing campaign for their next major smartphone release, teasing that they will be making a proper announcement on May 23rd.

In an email sent to the press this morning and posted on their website, HTC posted a photo of neatly laid out phone components, with the text “Coming Soon... A phone that is more than the sum of its specs.” The photo and the announcement give a May 23rd date for more details.

quote:

Update: As pointed out by Caetronianus, these aren't new components. Or even components of an HTC phone. Rather they're a disassembled iPhone 6...

quote:

Update 2, 05/04: It turns out things get even odder. While the main logic board is clearly from an iPhone 6, according to a report from CNET, the less distinguishable parts come from more than one phone, possibly including other, non-Apple phones. CNET also poked HTC about the parts and received the following reply:

We're glad people are studying our teaser so closely. The fact people have noticed parts from different phone models is exactly right – they represent the jumble of parts (specs) that our competitors inelegantly cram into their phones, while the space in the middle outlining HTC's next phone represents 'a phone that is more than the sum of its specs.

To be clear, none of the parts illustrated in the teaser came from the phone we're announcing May 23rd; people will have to tune in to htc.com that day to find out more

lmao

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

i'm excited to see this game-changer phone that everyone will have forgotten 2 weeks after it's announced.

except iyg of course where there will be a ton of day zero pre-orders.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Finally, someone has the courage to make a good smartphone

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

it's truly a fantastic marketing campaign that you have to follow up with an explanation

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

hey, only the best, top notch jokes need explaining. why not an ad campaign????????????????

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

PSSSSSt. sshhh come here...

they're lying

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
uh, didn’t htc sell their phone engineers to google?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

The Management posted:

nah that was motorola

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Management posted:

yeah, not really sure what the precise setup is, but this is likely also a pixel phone

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, not really sure what the precise setup is, but this is likely also a pixel phone
uh no, it's probably not. htc doesn't even make the two pixels on the market, and the one they do isn't htc-branded in any way.

speaking of pixels

CLAM DOWN posted:

The enormous ugly bezels of the Pixel 2 absolutely affected its popularity and thus its sales. You should be vested in whether or not other people like and want to buy your phone, if you want it to succeed.
i fuckin' love bransd

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

The Management posted:

they sold some of them but not all

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

the way to make a phone be more than the sum of its specs is with software

htc uses android so

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Maximum Leader posted:

they sold some of them but not all
try and imagine the quality of htcs engineers after google skimmed off the "best" with its acquihiring

just try

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Endless Mike posted:

uh no, it's probably not. htc doesn't even make the two pixels on the market, and the one they do isn't htc-branded in any way.

speaking of pixels

i fuckin' love bransd

uh oh, two posters have opposing desires for the features of the next pixel, time for them to get shaking-hands angry that someone doesn't share their personal preferences

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

carry on then posted:

uh oh, two posters have opposing desires for the features of the next pixel, time for them to get shaking-hands angry that someone doesn't share your personal preferences

my body is ready :awesome:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Endless Mike posted:

uh no, it's probably not. htc doesn't even make the two pixels on the market

one is htc and one is lg. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/995680316458262533?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.somethingawful.com%2F