Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Rhyno posted:

Is there a such thing as grief shaming? Where other people try to force you to be sad for their loss that you were until moments ago unaware of?

The gently caress man stop hanging out with lovely downer people. I feel tired just reading about the garbage you deal with people-wise on a day to day basis and I'd probably just up and fall over dead if I personally had to deal with it.

Though check out this head unit

That port underneath the 'CD' button is a stereo in jack, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KakerMix posted:

The gently caress man stop hanging out with lovely downer people. I feel tired just reading about the garbage you deal with people-wise on a day to day basis and I'd probably just up and fall over dead if I personally had to deal with it.

Though check out this head unit

That port underneath the 'CD' button is a stereo in jack, right?

Some local dude died in hawaii and I guess we ran in similar circles at one time 10 years ago but I have no idea who the gently caress he is. I keep getting tagged in posts but like, I don't know him so I'm untagging myself and I just got a super lovely message about it so I just unfriended them. It just felt like "you HAVE to feel bad" on their end.

Anyways, those Pajero pics in your thread are nuts.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Rhyno posted:

Some local dude died in hawaii and I guess we ran in similar circles at one time 10 years ago but I have no idea who the gently caress he is. I keep getting tagged in posts but like, I don't know him so I'm untagging myself and I just got a super lovely message about it so I just unfriended them. It just felt like "you HAVE to feel bad" on their end.

Social media is a cancer and I suggest you cut it out asap.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

With the luck you have with "friends" there's no way I'd be on FB or any social media lol

Also what Kaker said

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

KakerMix posted:

I haven't looked at FB in about 3 or 4 months, and I found out from my mom tonight that one of my cousin's husband died last Wednesday. I had no idea because the word was spread via Facebook. Logged in and sent my condolences since that seems to be where that's happening with that part of the family.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Just saw infinity war.

It was good I hate it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

ExplodingSims posted:

In other news, Holy poo poo, humans were not meant to live in the desert. :derp:

Human that grew up in the desert checking in. I'll happily take the desert over a tropical or subtropical climate. At least it's a dry heat, where sweating actually does something.

Randomness, how common are swamp coolers these days out there? I never lived in a home with real a/c until I was 14, everywhere else had swamp coolers. Of all the people I stay in touch with in my home town, all but 1 still lives with swamp coolers.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Too hot for swamp coolers I've heard. Like, in Idaho we had one for the two months of 90-102 degree summer and it had to run 100% to keep up, and that wasn't in a humid area. Plus we still had 70 degree nights to release the surface ground and asphalt heat. Add another 10-15 degrees during the days, 20-30 degrees during the nights, and no basements to act as a heat sink and I think you'll start to see the issue.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My house when I was a kid had a swamp cooler and two heat pumps. The swamp cooler was always cheaper to run but it makes the house humid as hell and doesn't cool down the whole house by a long shot.

My first apartment had just a swamp cooler, nothing else. Sucked rear end.

Everything since has been heat pumps only.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The Locator posted:

I haven't looked at FB in about 3 or 4 months, and I found out from my mom tonight that one of my cousin's husband died last Wednesday. I had no idea because the word was spread via Facebook. Logged in and sent my condolences since that seems to be where that's happening with that part of the family.
I feel like the people who can delete facebook must just have local friends and family.
I have no idea how I'd keep track of my friends all over the country (well, mostly Minnesota and SoCal) without facebook. Phone calls? Massive text chains?
My grandfather used to write letters but who has time for that.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

STR posted:

Randomness, how common are swamp coolers these days out there? I never lived in a home with real a/c until I was 14, everywhere else had swamp coolers. Of all the people I stay in touch with in my home town, all but 1 still lives with swamp coolers.

Depends heavily on what part of town you are in. The older & poorer sections are still heavily swamp cooler equipped. Subdivisions built since the 90's are pretty much all heat pump only, and I think you can find a good number of hybrid installs (both cooler and heat pump) in the 70's to 80's era subdivisions.

The first time I lived with A/C instead of swamp cooling was in my early 20's when I got my first apartment. My parents house was swamp cooler only until I was about 30, and my first two rental houses after I moved out were both swamp cooler only.

The need for gas for heating if there is only a swamp cooler for cooling is kind of big too, as the gas coverage has not expanded beyond the core/older areas much except for rich areas that want their big gas stoves, and some businesses.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

nm posted:

I feel like the people who can delete facebook must just have local friends and family.
I have no idea how I'd keep track of my friends all over the country (well, mostly Minnesota and SoCal) without facebook. Phone calls? Massive text chains?

I deleted my FB months ago and now I just don't have any friends :shrug:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The Locator posted:

Depends heavily on what part of town you are in. The older & poorer sections are still heavily swamp cooler equipped. Subdivisions built since the 90's are pretty much all heat pump only, and I think you can find a good number of hybrid installs (both cooler and heat pump) in the 70's to 80's era subdivisions.

The first time I lived with A/C instead of swamp cooling was in my early 20's when I got my first apartment. My parents house was swamp cooler only until I was about 30, and my first two rental houses after I moved out were both swamp cooler only.

The need for gas for heating if there is only a swamp cooler for cooling is kind of big too, as the gas coverage has not expanded beyond the core/older areas much except for rich areas that want their big gas stoves, and some businesses.

My parents had an 80s era heat pump for both heating and cooling. It just suck so much rear end, cold in the winter, hot in the summer. I'm sure they've improved, but never again. Particularly couldn't seem to keep up with 100+F temps.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

nm posted:

Getting a letter can be the best thing ever, make time to write one to an old friend.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nm posted:

What did you do before FB came along? It's not that difficult to keep in touch with people you really want to keep in touch with :shrug:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

My closest family live 6 hours away, and I've never had facebook. I call them every month or two or special occasion to stay in touch. E: We text a bit too.

My friends are mostly local, or they visit enough to the area that we keep in touch. Others, like childhood friends from 25 years ago :shrug: Life happens and people drift.

Today was kind of interesting for Taekwondo. I wear my uniform to class (our small town satellite class is held in a local gymnasium and would rather not change in the grade school washroom) and I thought of riding my motorcycle the 10 or so blocks since it was a gorgeous evening. Yeah, not geared up but I'm a rebel that way for short runs in town sometimes. Get on it, fire it up, get out of the garage.... and it dawns on me that I'd look like a washed up 80s action hero in a bad movie wearing my uniform. Get off the bike and drive.

Get to class, about 1/2 of the way through we start sparring. This young green stripe starts sparring with me. He steps in something and goes "what was that?" - I look at it, looks like mud/dirt. Not uncommon as parents are loving terrible at removing their footwear if they come into the gym even though there are NO OUTDOOR FOOTWEAR signs everywhere.

Keep sparring. And notice the smell. Nope, definitely not mud. Some loving kid from the earlier kids class dropped some nuggets down his legs. So now we have smeared poo poo all over an area of the gym floor, and because we do contact, poo poo on our doboks which transfers to everything from sparring. Fun!

I tell my awesome instructor to give her a heads up, and she goes "NOT AGAIN!" - seems like we have a quasi phantom crapper in the kids class.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 9, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

slidebite posted:

Today was kind of interesting for Taekwondo. I wear my uniform to class (our small town satellite class is held in a local gymnasium and would rather not change in the grade school washroom) and I thought of riding my motorcycle the 10 or so blocks since it was a gorgeous evening. Yeah, not geared up but I'm a rebel that way for short runs in town sometimes. Get on it, fire it up, get out of the garage.... and it dawns on me that I'd look like a washed up 80s action hero in a bad movie wearing my uniform. Get off the bike and drive.

I was trying to remember what you did for a living and so what your work uniform was. Turning up for Taekwondo in a State Trooper uniform would be bad, but if you were wearing a mall cop uniform, that is indeed a pathetic look.

Then I reread and realised that you were talking about your Taekwondo pyjamas. Now I disagree with you: riding down the street in those is awesome (as long as you aren't Steven Segal fat). Bonus points for swapping the helmet for a headband.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

slidebite posted:

Get to class, about 1/2 of the way through we start sparring. This young green stripe starts sparring with me. He steps in something and goes "what was that?" - I look at it, looks like mud/dirt. Not uncommon as parents are loving terrible at removing their footwear if they come into the gym even though there are NO OUTDOOR FOOTWEAR signs everywhere.

Keep sparring. And notice the smell. Nope, definitely not mud. Some loving kid from the earlier kids class dropped some nuggets down his legs. So now we have smeared poo poo all over an area of the gym floor, and because we do contact, poo poo on our doboks which transfers to everything from sparring. Fun!

I tell my awesome instructor to give her a heads up, and she goes "NOT AGAIN!" - seems like we have a quasi phantom crapper in the kids class.

Be glad you weren't grappling

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KakerMix posted:

Social media is fine. lovely people are cancer. Cut them out.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

spog posted:

Then I reread and realised that you were talking about your Taekwondo pyjamas. Now I disagree with you: riding down the street in those is awesome (as long as you aren't Steven Segal fat). Bonus points for swapping the helmet for a headband.

Agreed, if I saw a dude riding a bike wearing martial arts poo poo it'd make my day.

InitialDave posted:

And this all day. Avoid those who seek out drama.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InitialDave posted:

Click the three-dot menu on all shared posts from "humor" pages, games and political poo poo/news/whatever and hide everything from those pages permanently.

Social media is a powerful tool, but it needs strict filtering to cut out all the bullshit. 99% of the time, I only see posts directly posted by my friends, or from pages I actually care about (after I seriously cleared out my list of liked pages).

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Facebook was a mistake, bring back MySpace.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

cakesmith handyman posted:

Facebook was a mistake, bring back MySpace.

...considering Myspace was the start of an incredible music adventure for me, I'm not completely against this.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Signed the contract for the new house today! Sadly, no garage at this time, but it's thought into the plans, so hopefully it'll come later.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

nm posted:

I have few local friends and no local family and yet, no facebook. About the only friends I keep in contact with are my college buddies and some work friends. I talk to the work folks at work or by text and the college dudes via a group email. Call the fam or video chat, etc. Works just fine for me. The people I was "friends" with on facebook I didn't really care to stay in touch with anyway.

Viewing somebody's social media is a quick way to determine if you don't want to be friends with them. :v: Unless you're Rhyno and befriend all the crazies.

InitialDave posted:

Pretty much this. The time spent looking at it usually isn't worth it so I cut it out entirely.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

shovelbum posted:

how the gently caress are self driving cars supposed to work in northern michigan etc where all you can see of the road much of the year is two sets of ruts in which cars (drunkenly) creep along and which may or may not bear any relation to the (potential) summer road markings, the road itself, or anything at all approaching reality

Digging this up from the last page, but ever notice how when one of these companies announces it's rolling poo poo out for testing, they're always doing it in cities without severe weather, and with fairly well maintained roads and not, say, anywhere in the midwest?

Contrary to what all the self-driving car evangelists go on about, some of this poo poo is pretty hard to replicate with silicon.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

mekilljoydammit posted:

Digging this up from the last page, but ever notice how when one of these companies announces it's rolling poo poo out for testing, they're always doing it in cities without severe weather, and with fairly well maintained roads and not, say, anywhere in the midwest?

Contrary to what all the self-driving car evangelists go on about, some of this poo poo is pretty hard to replicate with silicon.

Hell, meat-based processors are only passable at it, and anyone who does it often will likely have to admit that driving on snow and ice is mostly intuition, route memory, and identifying traction by feel.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

As long as there's still venture capital to mindlessly funnel, self driving cars will always be just a few years out. The real benefits come from improvements to tech like auto braking, Lane departure warning, adaptive CC, etc.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

New RCR is funny.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

mekilljoydammit posted:

...There's a huge testing facility on the University of Michigan's campus. Granted it's not public roads but this stuff is very much in development in the midwest.

However I agree that it's going to be very hard to implement on every road and every condition. I don't see full autonomy unless there's some sort of infrastructure built into the roads (lol good luck) for use with the sensors and vehicle to vehicle connectivity (can at least see this happening...eventually).

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 9, 2018

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

epic bird guy posted:

New RCR is funny.

I want to move to NZ. I mean, I did before those videos came out, but I want it more now. Shame I don't have any useful skills to offer.

e: I didn't see the newest one and thought you meant the celica video, that's brilliant

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 9, 2018

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

nm posted:

My parents had an 80s era heat pump for both heating and cooling. It just suck so much rear end, cold in the winter, hot in the summer. I'm sure they've improved, but never again. Particularly couldn't seem to keep up with 100+F temps.

I'm going to guess that it was undersized for the area it needed to deal with. A/C (heat pumps) have been understood pretty well for a long time, and when properly sized can do a perfectly good job at both cooling and heating. Caveat - they are not the proper tool for heating in areas that get really cold for long periods of time.

I live on the outskirts of Phoenix, and my A/C handles even 120 degree days without any problem, other than electricity consumption, which can be extreme when an A/C unit is running nearly full time. Luckily I have a solar system that over the course of the year builds up more than enough peak credits to offset the daytime use and I only really get larger electric bills in the summer due to off-peak use since it will still be 90+ at night for a good bit of our summers. I keep the inside temp at 77 degrees most of the time.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

InitialDave posted:

It seems like people refuse to do that. The only social media thing I do is twitter. I don't really post anything at all on it, but it seems to be the best way to get a hold of some people in companies in poo poo and to stay caught up on events in almost real time.

spog posted:

I was trying to remember what you did for a living and so what your work uniform was. Turning up for Taekwondo in a State Trooper uniform would be bad, but if you were wearing a mall cop uniform, that is indeed a pathetic look.

I'm not an LEO (talk to me about bearings!) but yeah, I was talking about wearing my taekwondo uni (dobok) on the bike. It would look especially awesome because the chest wrap part usually likes to open, so it would be doubly marvelous with chest hair gloriously exposed.

I'm talking myself into doing this next class.

mariooncrack posted:

Be glad you weren't grappling
You're right, we don't do a lot of grapples/holds/throws in TKD, but a poo poo smeared foot coming up to your head for kicks is something I'd rather not do again.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 9, 2018

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Applebees Appetizer posted:

What did you do before FB came along? It's not that difficult to keep in touch with people you really want to keep in touch with :shrug:
I was 20 when facebook came to my college. The only people I knew who didn't live near me (or my parents) were high school friends and we had to form a phone tree every break so we could track down the people who's cell numbers had changed.

Obviously, you can do it. Facebook just makes it way easier.

Edit: ya'll are just friends with lovely people. The only drama on mine is trolling whatever rhyno posts.

nm fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 9, 2018

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I think if you think social media itself is a problem you need to massively and ruthlessly purge your friends list. It should be people you actually know and family only.

If you wouldn't be sad about them disappearing from your life why are you staying in contact in the first place?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Actually, one of my rules is no work, no family.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Social media isn't the problem no, but it's a lot easier to go "Wow we don't actually need this" instead of trying to educate every single person that maybe they shouldn't just broadcast with a very loud, permanent, 100% recorded for all time history garbage about themselves using a megaphone that then sells doritos and truck nuts to them.

Nobody needs Facebook or Twitter or Bumble or Cute Adjective Name app, especially when it's a for-profit house of cards built on selling eyeballs to huge companies desperate to try to maintain 100% growth when everyone knows that's completely impossible.

Then again I'm not one to label people as friends if they aren't, seems like a lot of people have a very low bar to what they label as friends.

So hey what was the thread that someone posted a VW Golf Country someone had in the USA trying to sell it for a whole bunch of money?

Because I guess maybe they might just be worth that.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I communicate with all my real friends and family over the cell phone, either texting or calling.

I check facebook about once a week at most, and I only use it for casual friends. In fact, the only reason I'm on it at all is because my local car clubs plan events on it and refuse to do it any other way. It's still a nightmare of bullshit that I see for the few minutes I look at it. It's easy to get sucked in with a couple catch-up posts but then you start scrolling and it's advertisements and lovely political or social arguments or someone spamming their page about how depressed/lonely/broke/bored they are. I don't want to spend enough time on it to make it better so at that point I just close it and try again next week.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Liquid Communism posted:

Hell, meat-based processors are only passable at it, and anyone who does it often will likely have to admit that driving on snow and ice is mostly intuition, route memory, and identifying traction by feel.

Visual processing is hard, who knew?

Larrymer posted:

...There's a huge testing facility on the University of Michigan's campus. Granted it's not public roads but this stuff is very much in development in the midwest.

However I agree that it's going to be very hard to implement on every road and every condition. I don't see full autonomy unless there's some sort of infrastructure built into the roads (lol good luck) for use with the sensors and vehicle to vehicle connectivity (can at least see this happening...eventually).

Yes, there is - which is where responsible development is quietly taking place. I'm not saying that it's not being worked on, just that the big public Uber/Google/whoever rollouts on public roads are all happening in the southwest for a reason.

Soapbox time. I'm an SAE member, I remember going to conferences in the last 10 years where DARPA and the like were working on this stuff and having competitions and prizes. The whole "media fawning over tech companies talking about self-driving cars" thing just has the feel of media fawning over 3d printers - the technology hasn't had anything truly revolutionary happen, just gotten cheaper to do, and with more tolerance for doing it wrong. Despite what every self-driving-car proponent is saying to me, the poo poo is not at a point where rolling it out everywhere for everything is safer than human drivers, and that's not a strawman, it's something I have to bring up repeatedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nm posted:

I was 20 when facebook came to my college. The only people I knew who didn't live near me (or my parents) were high school friends and we had to form a phone tree every break so we could track down the people who's cell numbers had changed.

Obviously, you can do it. Facebook just makes it way easier.

Edit: ya'll are just friends with lovely people. The only drama on mine is trolling whatever rhyno posts.

Hmm, I wonder if some of you younger guys are just so used to having FB that using any other mode of communication seems "harder" for some silly reason. I tried FB for a few months then cut it off because it was unnecessary clutter I didn't need. Up until FB came along I kept in touch with the people I wanted to just fine, and to me texting has made it way easier than any social media has. Now i have group texts with my good friends and it can't get any easier than that imo.

I'll admit I'm a bit of a minimalist so that may have a lot to do with it as well, but

KakerMix posted:

Nobody needs Facebook or Twitter or Bumble or Cute Adjective Name app,

• Locked thread