Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
you can high roll with them just fine :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
They're useless anyway, because any reasonable REL is going to require you keep track with pen and paper and they only go up to 20, which means you can't use them for EDH.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Double sleeve your Magic the Gathering Life Counter by Ultra Pro

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

whydirt posted:

Casting cost aside, Karn seems more like a Siege Rhino type card that is powerful enough to be ubiquitous and annoying throughout its life in Standard, but not strong enough to warrant a full ban.

At least a playset of Siege Rhinos didn't set you back :200bux:

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Some Numbers posted:

They're useless anyway, because any reasonable REL is going to require you keep track with pen and paper and they only go up to 20, which means you can't use them for EDH.

My Friends use two of them. I have so many dice and bullshit life counters I've long ago stopped caring.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

you can high roll with them just fine :colbert:

High rolling is only good if you are high/rolling.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Jabor posted:

The worst part is that having something that looks vaguely like a d20 (even though it's not) seems to make people want to high-roll them to see who starts.

It is a d20 though, just one that's much easier to rig rolls for.

If you roll it fairly and randomly, you have an equal chance to get each side face-up.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Real question: why is a spindown d20 not good enough for rolls? I get that it's not quite as random as the numbers aren't scrambled, but I doubt you could ever roll one and accurately predict what you get if you're giving it a true, honest roll.

Like, is there someone who did some experimenting to see if there's some bias on the spindowns compared to regular ones?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nephzinho posted:

Finally got into Arena. Anyone have a reference post with quick easy edits to these decks, or should I just take them out as constructed to get beat on while I learn the new UI?

e; Is there really no discounting at all for buying packs in bulk? Ugh. The UI is nice and fluid overall tho. Just kind of playing vanilla Decks to match my quests and figure out how priority and poo poo hold.

Absolutely do not spend your wildcards until you know what deck you want to work towards.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Matsuri posted:

Real question: why is a spindown d20 not good enough for rolls? I get that it's not quite as random as the numbers aren't scrambled, but I doubt you could ever roll one and accurately predict what you get if you're giving it a true, honest roll.

Like, is there someone who did some experimenting to see if there's some bias on the spindowns compared to regular ones?
It's... not particularly hard to learn how to unfairly roll two fair d6 dies. That's why you have to throw them hard enough to hit the wall in craps, and why I encourage odd/even for determining who goes first.

Now take that, but instead of throwing it so it hits a particular number, throw it so it lands on the overall higher side.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Matsuri posted:

With practice, you can consistently roll it to land on the "top half".

Yes, if everyone involved is rolling "fairly" then it's still random. But having that be the normal way to decide who starts ends up making it really easy for cheaters to gain an edge.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
This is probably super, super small, but the set symbol and double digit numbers will logically have more plastic removed than the numbers, so even if you rolled it fairly, it may favor the high side because of it tending to stop when it finds its center of gravity. D20's are the easiest dice to shave, and one of the least random because they are generally tumbled after they are removed from the mold making the corners smooth at uneven rates. The D6 is used for gambling because it can be easily machined, instead of molded, to incredibly small tolerances. No molding, no tumbling. Won't have a side where the plastic settled during the mold.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 10, 2018

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Personally I use loaded d-6s, never been caught even in Comp REL.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I sleeved up my version of the Replicator deck we were talking about this morning. Going to run it at Showdown tomorrow.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Finally got my arena invite. This program takes way too loving long to launch every time I load it up.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

Finally got my arena invite. This program takes way too loving long to launch every time I load it up.

Yeah, at first I thought it was installing itself every time I wanted to open it.

mattah
Nov 9, 2003

Oh Pikachu!
Are they doing drafts in Arena yet? Still waiting for my invite ..

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

mattah posted:

Are they doing drafts in Arena yet? Still waiting for my invite ..

Hour of Devastation. :v:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
You can buy an arena invite for like 8bux, which is like 1 Starbucks, so anybody who really wants one should have one already.

And they have AI drafts.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Has the final wipe happened yet for Arena?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

Hour of Devastation. :v:

Dominaria is this weekend

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

DangerDongs posted:

Has the final wipe happened yet for Arena?

No

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I just had something come up that has never happened to me before.

Pauper Tron versus my opponent's Affinty. My opponent mulliganed, had turn 1 artifact land + Springleaf Drum did literally nothing on turn 2, and turn 3 played a Frogmite and Atog. On turn 4, I double blocked Atog with two 1/3s and they cast a Temur Battle Rage, sacrificing one artifact land to kill both of my creatures. On turn 5, they attacked with Atog, and after blockers they sacced all their stuff and cast another Temur Battle Rage, floating a blue mana. I passed to the damage step, took the first strike damage, and cast Moment's Peace after their blue mana went away from changing steps, avoiding death from them Dispelling my Peace.

I've been playing since Nemesis and I have never had to take first strike damage to clear my opponent's mana so that I can avoid taking lethal regular damage. Magic is great.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Hellsau posted:

I just had something come up that has never happened to me before.

Pauper Tron versus my opponent's Affinty. My opponent mulliganed, had turn 1 artifact land + Springleaf Drum did literally nothing on turn 2, and turn 3 played a Frogmite and Atog. On turn 4, I double blocked Atog with two 1/3s and they cast a Temur Battle Rage, sacrificing one artifact land to kill both of my creatures. On turn 5, they attacked with Atog, and after blockers they sacced all their stuff and cast another Temur Battle Rage, floating a blue mana. I passed to the damage step, took the first strike damage, and cast Moment's Peace after their blue mana went away from changing steps, avoiding death from them Dispelling my Peace.

I've been playing since Nemesis and I have never had to take first strike damage to clear my opponent's mana so that I can avoid taking lethal regular damage. Magic is great.

That's because in Nemesis, this dumbass rule did not exist.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Hellioning posted:

Yeah, at first I thought it was installing itself every time I wanted to open it.

It is

MTGADev posted:

This is not an issue, this is as designed. We plan on having an installer that doesn't completely reinstall the client when we move closer to launch. While we know this is painful, this should only be temporary.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Anyone have suggestions on how to get started with Arena? I'm reading here that mono red is the best starter deck and to use my first wildcards for hazorets and glorybringers. What's the most efficient way to grind that out?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Anyone expecting this shitshow to not have the same sorts of problems as MTGO is deluding themselves, jesus christ.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
It's just the updater that reinstalls the game, it doesn't do it every time you launch.

It just takes loving forever.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

The Shortest Path posted:

Anyone expecting this shitshow to not have the same sorts of problems as MTGO is deluding themselves, jesus christ.

Well of course it won't have the same problems. It definitely won't have the presumably still unfixed Containment Priest bug where if you have Priest in play and your opponent casts Reanimate, they don't lose life when the Reanimate resolves. Also I'm sure it won't have that bug with Oubliette that's been in the game for over a year where if it gets removed from the battlefield, the entire game gets reset. Also I'm sure it won't have that delightful bug with Kess where you can cast counterspells on your opponents turns. None of these bugs will exist on Arena

because none of these cards will ever exist on Arena

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Toshimo posted:

You can buy an arena invite for like 8bux, which is like 1 Starbucks, so anybody who really wants one should have one already.

And they have AI drafts.

Come on that’s completely absurd.

It’s like 2 Starbucks.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Tainen posted:

I sleeved up my version of the Replicator deck we were talking about this morning. Going to run it at Showdown tomorrow.

Do report back, that looks like an interesting deck!

Today's my first Showdown. I'm giving it a shot with the monoblue Flying Men deck I linked earlier. Very excited. :ohdear:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Jabor posted:

The worst part is that having something that looks vaguely like a d20 (even though it's not) seems to make people want to high-roll them to see who starts.

That works fine. Because the only time that ever even happens is prerelease and who is worried about gamesmanship at prerelease

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 09:53 on May 10, 2018

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Is mox amber really going to go down in price at rotation? I feel like this card could get out of hand quickly.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
All that Brawl article did was remind me there are seven banned cards in Standard lmao

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 10, 2018

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
That's great to hear. I'm not trying to get a hot spec on this investor grade cardboard. I want to try it in br and w goblins for shits.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm going to get some when it drops because I'm a sucker for dumb and bad gimmick decks like Paradoxical Outcome + Aetherflux Reservoir.

I don't think that there's any deck that's going to play it with the primary goal of tapping it for mana.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Is mox amber really going to go down in price at rotation? I feel like this card could get out of hand quickly.

If anyone had a crystal ball that could tell you what is going to be a big fukken deal 2 sets from now, they'd be the King High poo poo of #MTGFinance. But they can't. It'll probably trend downward until rotation because it's unlikely to receive support in the Core Set, but nobody knows after that.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Instead of including a ugly die that I can't roll in a prerelease pack, just include a commemorative pen and scorepad.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Lone Goat posted:

Instead of including a ugly die that I can't roll in a prerelease pack, just include a commemorative pen and scorepad.

I mean, prerelease is usually (always?) casual REL so using the die as life counter is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Buffis posted:

I mean, prerelease is usually (always?) casual REL so using the die as life counter is fine.

the issue isn't the casual REL it's the massive amount of clutter i have composed solely of worthless spindowns instead of something useful like d6es

the only good spindown is the one you got for picking BR at the dragons of tarkir prerelease, change my mind