Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

Is there any way to make Sensor Lock a free action like Vigilance? That is all that'd make it worth taking on multiple dudes for me.

Maybe? I'll look into it

Edit: Yes, you can!

Change:
code:
"ActivationTime" : "ConsumedByFiring",
to
code:
"ActivationTime" : "CommandAbility",
and it becomes a free action. Might want to change the description too so it doesn't say ACTION.

Edit2: Oh poo poo, lol, you can use it infinitely. Lemme look at this...

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
I had a good laugh at the low quality photos of the credits. Good job HBS, I watched the credits just to see how awkward a dev' can be.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Has anyone actually filled up their MechWarrior barracks? I savescum so nobody ever dies but even if I didn't I can't imagine a world where you're hiring 32 mech warriors, even if only because it'd be super expensive!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I'm trying to figure out how to set a cooldown on pilot skills. Anybody messed with that yet?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Is there anywhere I can buy LRM20++ and AC20++ or better on the star map before you finish the campaign?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I lucked out on getting those on Weldry I think and I'm about two thirds of the way through or so?

I run a lance of Strider, Ronin, Ariamaki and Succubus and they look decent. But man, the rest of them don't look good at all.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

The Saddest Robot posted:

I haven't heard of this issue with Unity before and googling for examples of it hasn't had any success.

As a struggling developer who uses Unity I think the problem is that Unity is fairly easy to get into and it appears performent on the surface. You can end up developing yourself into a corner where you suddenly realize that Unity games, like every other game, do need to be written with performance and memory management in mind. That the code you wrote may work fine in isolation but when you're dealing with a thousand other gameobjects in a scene it's not so great.

When I was poking through the game's code I saw plenty of things I would consider not-so-great practices in a published game. For example they use strings for everything. In C# each string is an object that is allocated on the heap rather than the stack. The stack is basically a place where variables that are considered 'value types' are created. Things like int, floats, simple structures. Things on the stack are short lived and can essentially be created and thrown away when they're no longer needed at 0 cost. The heap, on the other hand, is managed by the runtime. Objects are moved around on the heap and every now and then a GarbageCollector runs to clean up all of the objects that are no longer being used by anything in the application. This is relatively costly and can cause noticeable stutters or multi-second pauses. Anyways, the code uses strings everywhere, none of them are constants so it means it is constantly creating dozens to thousands of new strings every frame which all need to be GarbageCollected. So creating a string to look up a value in a dictionary is kind of bad. Adding strings together creates more strings. All these strings are created on the heap and will need to be cleaned up by the GarbageCollecter - which will be running frequently because the garbage keeps piling up.That was just one of the things that I saw that made me go "uh, this is not so great looking". I wasn't curious enough to poke through the entire codebase to look for what was causing the issue with save games - chances are it is something that they are doing, not something that Unity is doing.

If you are actually interested about some of the stuff studios do to optimize unity games, this presentation is a great look at one such example - getting Inside to run consistently at 60+fps across all platforms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ2KTRn4BMI

okay this is a bit ago but as some nerd idiot trying to do things with unity and thus pretty interested in how this game is broken down i gotta ask... what do you mean, using stings for everything

because i know my own limitations and inexperience make me unqualified to judge the programming decisions of actual successful game devs

but

that sounds incredibly loving dire and i want to know more

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Taear posted:

Has anyone actually filled up their MechWarrior barracks? I savescum so nobody ever dies but even if I didn't I can't imagine a world where you're hiring 32 mech warriors, even if only because it'd be super expensive!

I have! It's only 23 salaries. Last month I had to pay one million C-bills. Money is not really a problem when you keep only one type of mechs in storage.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

just been reading through the bio's, one of them mentions undergoing gender transition. I'm guessing none of the grognards have spotted that yet, considering how pissed off they got over neutral pronouns actually being in the game at all.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Tiler Kiwi posted:

okay this is a bit ago but as some nerd idiot trying to do things with unity and thus pretty interested in how this game is broken down i gotta ask... what do you mean, using stings for everything

because i know my own limitations and inexperience make me unqualified to judge the programming decisions of actual successful game devs

but

that sounds incredibly loving dire and i want to know more
I think he probably said (or meant) "strings", like maybe things that should be booleans are instead string variables or something.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Flipswitch posted:

I run a lance of Strider, Ronin, Ariamaki and Succubus and they look decent. But man, the rest of them don't look good at all.

Is there rhyme or reason behind certain backer-warriors showing up, or is it all RNG?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
So there's a pretty big difficulty ramp for me after capturing victoria now I'm trying to take down a lance of mediums and a lance of mediums+heavies regularly.

I only have a dragon and a quickdraw. Any victories are really expensive. How can I overcome this? I tend towards 3 brawlers and an lrm support treb.

I'm thinking of customizing my shadow hawks to be ppc+lrm and just going for long range direct fire solutions.

Samuel L. Hacksaw fucked around with this message at 12:58 on May 10, 2018

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

pangstrom posted:

I think he probably said (or meant) "strings", like maybe things that should be booleans are instead string variables or something.

yeah i mean strings not stings. i mean after all its coded in C# not Bee# :rimshot:

using strings instead of int / bool or whatever would still be pretty loving baffling tho. not even going to claim its good or evil, just, on a personal level, baffling. but he made it sound like it went a little further than that.

e: its like seeing someone driving down the highway at 90, backwards, into traffic, and im asked to judge if they're an incredible driver or an idiot. all i can say is that i lack the depth to understand the method but i would not personally recommend it

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 13:02 on May 10, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

So there's a pretty big difficult ramp for me after capturing victoria now I'm trying to take down a lance of mediums and a lance of mediums+heavies regularly.

I only have a dragon and a quickdraw. Any victories are really expensive. How can I overcome this? I tend towards 3 brawlers and an lrm support treb.

I'm thinking of customizing my shadow hawks to be ppc+lrm and just going for long range direct fire solutions.

I think that mission is intended for a lance of Heavies, so it assume you've got heavies.
However if you call up the galaxy map locations do show a "usual difficulty" and you could fly towards places where it's lower, perhaps?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I had a newbie pilot named Spare Parts get cored out.

I can't help but wonder if he could live up to his name in death and could donate his arm to Yang. It's not like he needs it anymore.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Taear posted:

I think that mission is intended for a lance of Heavies, so it assume you've got heavies.
However if you call up the galaxy map locations do show a "usual difficulty" and you could fly towards places where it's lower, perhaps?

Hmmm, makes sense. I got a few lucky headshots on that mission that made it easier. Dfa'd the catapult and got an ammo explosion, punched the head off the cent.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

I knew I had seen him before!

I hope Sabercat's background mentions he's a never-nude.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 10, 2018

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Libluini posted:

Is there rhyme or reason behind certain backer-warriors showing up, or is it all RNG?
Just RNG each time you visit a system.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

That Italian Guy posted:

I knew I had seen him before!

I hope Sabercat's background mentions he's a never-nude.

He looks more like Matt Berry to me!

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://battletech.gamepedia.com/Kraken

"Tane" "Kraken"... found the SA pilot.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

comatose posted:

This is from a few pages but how do you play this at an ultrawide resolution without the buttons at the bottom getting cut in half/not getting shown at all? When I fired this up the first time and was going through the character creation poo poo I thought I was missing something on how to get to the next screen until I realised that the little sliver of grey down the bottom was the next button :/

Quoting for the secrets of 3440

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Synthbuttrange posted:

None of them are wearing mechwarrior standard neurohelmets, shameful

This rules

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Does anyone have an effective loadout for the Shadow Hawk (the base variant, I think Behemoth starts in it)? I keep getting them in salvage.

It's a weird mix of hardpoints, and the stock version has a bunch of light-damage weapons for all ranges.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

There's a few guys in that backer list that 100% were also Shadowrun backers, unless they're doppelgangers because I recognized those faces almost immediately. Arbiter, Finn, Exodus, a few others.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

Does anyone have an effective loadout for the Shadow Hawk (the base variant, I think Behemoth starts in it)? I keep getting them in salvage.

It's a weird mix of hardpoints, and the stock version has a bunch of light-damage weapons for all ranges.

The weirdest hardpoint on the Shadow Hawk, shared by both variants, is the missile launcher in the head.

What I would do is try to make it effective at one range, then keep it at that range.

For short range, that would be SRMs, medium lasers, and small lasers. The 2D is better at this, since it has more laser hardpoints and more support hardpoints. All SRMs are equal in terms of pure damage per weight, but SRM 4s are the most heat efficient of the SRMs for some reason, and also they're the largest that fits in the Shadow Hawk's face-missile slot.

For long range, that would be LRMs and AC/5s. Both have 3 missile hardpoints, though one is limited to a single-slot launcher due to being in the head. The 2H can actually fit two AC/5 thanks to having more ballistics hardpoints, but you're mostly limited by weight anyway, so it depends on how paper-thin you want to make your armor.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

terrorist ambulance posted:

Quoting for the secrets of 3440

I replied already. It doesn't let you play in 3440 but it let's you play in 1440p with bars on the side and no UI issues.

Internet Explorer posted:

Well I'm glad my laziness to crop might help someone...

I have a 3440x1440 monitor. All I did was set it to full screen at 1440p and it automatically put the bars on the side. Sucks that it is not proper ultra wide, but I haven't had any problems with the UI.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Emy posted:

For long range, that would be LRMs and AC/5s. Both have 3 missile hardpoints, though one is limited to a single-slot launcher due to being in the head. The 2H can actually fit two AC/5 thanks to having more ballistics hardpoints, but you're mostly limited by weight anyway, so it depends on how paper-thin you want to make your armor.

Yeah.

Catapults and black knights have made my shadow hawk more or less obsolete but twin AC/5s are really nice for a direct fire supporter.

And if that doesn’t work out, go punch someone!

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
I know it's probably been mentioned over the past 300+ pages, but I'm not seeing anything in the OP. Are there any good mods/mod repositories out there for this game yet? I know it's still early and all, but I've already run through the campaign twice and I'm itching for something different. I'm amazed there isn't a workshop page on steam for this.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Is there a tier list of good mechs per class, I have anxiety about salvage picks and selling possibly good ones.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

NatasDog posted:

I know it's probably been mentioned over the past 300+ pages, but I'm not seeing anything in the OP. Are there any good mods/mod repositories out there for this game yet? I know it's still early and all, but I've already run through the campaign twice and I'm itching for something different. I'm amazed there isn't a workshop page on steam for this.

They didn't have the money/time for mod tools, so there won't be any official ones, but the game files are pretty easily accessible. BattleTechModLoader had its initial release 6 days ago, so the whole scene is pretty new. If you want extensive mods probably just forget about the game for a year and come back when you can have anime characters piloting your mechs.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Taear posted:

He looks more like Matt Berry to me!

I think you may be right.

It's a mix between Dr. Lucien Sanchez's physical aspect and Dr. Tobias Funke's goony face.

EDIT: and now I want to change all the backers's portrait to the cast of Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.

Unironically. Anyone has a guide on how to do that?

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 10, 2018

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah.

Catapults and black knights have made my shadow hawk more or less obsolete but twin AC/5s are really nice for a direct fire supporter.

And if that doesn’t work out, go punch someone!
I just salvaged an intact Trebuchet and bought an LRM-20+++ so that's meeting my long range needs right now (enemies are still mediums and lights, with the very occasional 60-ton thrown in).

Oh my god, mass LRMs are so ridiculous in this game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I never actually modified my base Hawk, it worked perfectly fine on its own. I made a second use srms and close range weaponry though. The 2D was alright but a little too fragile for me.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I've had almost no trouble salvaging a every medium in the game, a fair mix of heavies, and now I have an assault (story) and 2/3 of two different assaults (procedural missions).

What I'm woefully light on is anything beyond a handful of + or ++ weapons. RNG or should I be central coring everyone if I want to scavenge better weapons instead of risking blowing up arms and shoulders?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Maybe? I'll look into it

Edit: Yes, you can!

Change:
code:
"ActivationTime" : "ConsumedByFiring",
to
code:
"ActivationTime" : "CommandAbility",
and it becomes a free action. Might want to change the description too so it doesn't say ACTION.

Edit2: Oh poo poo, lol, you can use it infinitely. Lemme look at this...

Make it cost morale?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I always try to cap the legs, you get 2 pieces of salvage and usually the weapons, plus it knocks enemies down and is easier to hit than the head.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I found a lot of + weapons to buy, too. In the mid/late game it was the first thing I checked when I arrived at a new place.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Welp, it had to happen sometime

60+ weeks of the campaign he survived, until some random lance of medium mechs suddenly decided to focus-fire his Griffin down.

I've decided to let his death stand, since Glitch and Behemoth punching his killer to death while my commander was keeping their backs free was too good a story to delete by reloading.

And right the next mission was a harrowing trap, with medium + heavies confronting me (not having a single mech above 55 tons) on a martian landscape plagued by whirlwinds. Luckily we could surprise the leading Catapult in one edge of the map and later landed a lucky hit on a heavy vehicle with double AC20s, or we would have bought it. The same mission also brought several strikers and a Trebuchet so after fighting the heavy stuff we got constantly pelted by LRMs while hiding in a whirlwind. The extra crazy came from the last mech (a Cicada) hiding behind a stone, forcing us to wander across the map until we found it -that drat NPC never moved an inch!

The multiple heavies actually depleted the ammo reserves of two of my mechs! Still, this was the first time I won a fight far above my paygrade, and I got my first long-range support mech (the Trebuchet ended with his pilot incapacitated. Somehow our techs managed to put the smoking ruin back together after the fight)

But seriously, did the AI get an upgrade with the latest patch or something? In that super-hard "2 skulls"-mission the AI tried its best to keep together, retreated damaged mechs and rotated fresh ones in. Completely different from the usual "wander straight into enemy kill-zone". Without those whirlwinds protecting us, the mission would have ended quite differently.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Synthbuttrange posted:

My friend posted one that he got called 'Death Krusade' and he thought he'd be able to get him killed without knowing they're immortal. :v:

Wait you can't kill the kickstarter pilots? Can you kill the ronin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

imweasel09 posted:

Wait you can't kill the kickstarter pilots? Can you kill the ronin?

They can be killed.

Killed by a Zeus the day after I put a cockpit mod in the Atlas.

Welcome new guy.

Tempting fate with his callsign.