Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Like the page says, they were going to reveal Tobias actually being black in a plotline, but haven't got around to it yet.

It's not listed on that page for some reason, but every season has at least one moment (Season 3 and 4 has a lot of them, actually) where GOB says something like "What is this pain in my chest?" or "What's this feeling I'm having?". It happens when GOB is supposed to be feeling emotions, but it's always described like a painful heart attack. This short clip has a few of those moments

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Franchescanado posted:

Like the page says, they were going to reveal Tobias actually being black in a plotline, but haven't got around to it yet.

That feels like something that wouldn’t play as well today as it would have 15 years ago.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Holy poo poo. I just watched A Dangerous Son on HBO. It’s a heartbreaking doc about three severely mentally ill boys. It also discusses how lovely mental health services are for people in crisis. The crew had to stop filming and intervene at one point because one of the kids was wailing on his mom and threatening to shoot her.

The saddest part was the Senator talking about his son being taken to the ER. They agreed he was in crisis but they didn’t have any beds. The next day his son stabbed his father and committed suicide

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Man, Santa Clarita Diet is so good. The whole cast just nails it

Yeah, I liked season 2 a lot more than season 1. Hope it keeps getting better.
It just got renewed for a 3rd season.
https://twitter.com/SCDiet/status/993836665897615360

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

Holy poo poo. I just watched A Dangerous Son on HBO. It’s a heartbreaking doc about three severely mentally ill boys. It also discusses how lovely mental health services are for people in crisis. The crew had to stop filming and intervene at one point because one of the kids was wailing on his mom and threatening to shoot her.

The saddest part was the Senator talking about his son being taken to the ER. They agreed he was in crisis but they didn’t have any beds. The next day his son stabbed his father and committed suicide

I just saw this and it is extremely sad. I always thought Adam Lanza was just a chud. I found the part where the older white teen was speculating about what jail would be like when he finally ended up there to be particularly sad.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

david_a posted:

I’ve only seen one I think, it didn’t really grab me. I just wanted horrible things to happen to all of the characters.

I liked season one as it originally aired enough to keep watching it. But I truly didn't begin to love it until season 2 episode 2, when I realized that it was the funniest show on television.

precision posted:

Man, Santa Clarita Diet is so good. The whole cast just nails it

People keep talking about it. I guess it must have taken a sudden turn to become good halfway through season 1? Because that was about where I stopped watching.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nihonniboku posted:

People keep talking about it. I guess it must have taken a sudden turn to become good halfway through season 1? Because that was about where I stopped watching.

I liked it from jump street but it definitely ramps way up around episode 5 of season 1

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I don't love Drew, she's OK but I've never really liked her, but everyone else kills it, especially Olyphant.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
So when did Prime start doing this x-ray thing? It's kinda neat, but I feel like it makes it'll make it too easy to pull yourself out of a movie and fall down an imdb type hole.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

deoju posted:

So when did Prime start doing this x-ray thing? It's kinda neat, but I feel like it makes it'll make it too easy to pull yourself out of a movie and fall down an imdb type hole.

a while ago. for some things if you hover over it will fill like half the screen with weird trivia which is pretty cool

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Those last two scenes of the Cobra Kai finale were :krad:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

deoju posted:

A long time ago? The best part is when you pause it and it tells you what song is currently playing in the movie.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It’s amazing when some character actor comes on and my fiancé asks “where do I know him from?”

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Memories of Murder is on Prime and probably one of the best movies, people should watch it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

married but discreet posted:

Memories of Murder is on Prime and probably one of the best movies, people should watch it.

My favorite procedural, even slightly above Silence of the Lambs

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Agree with this 100%.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Man, I wish Chuck Norris vs Communism was a better film. It's a documentary about how VHS tapes were smuggled into Romania and dubbed into Romanian (almost entirely by one woman) under a fascist communist regime that had banned all outside media. It's a story full of twists and subterfuge and it's told so dispassionately that it's almost sleep-inducing.

It's still worth a watch but it doesn't live up to its potential.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Just parachuting into the thread to say that I really enjoyed Infinity Baby. Good old stripped down "film school" movie that was actually funny and left you with a bit to chew on without being totally ham-fisted.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 10, 2018

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just a reminder, The Florida Project is on Amazon Prime and was probably the best movie of 2017, so get on that.

LogisticEarth posted:

Just parachuting into the thread to say that I really enjoyed Infinity Baby. Good old stripped down "film school" movie that was actually funny and left you with a bit to chew on without being totally ham-fistedly.

These look cool, thanks!

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
Man, Florida Project was fantastic. Some of the best child acting ever, especially from the main character. Not sure if spoiler, but the second to last scene was amazing and heart wrenching. The last scene was loving awful, though, and was a complete tonal and stylist shift from the rest of the film. I’m sure that was intentional—I think the director wanted to show that even in the face of massive personal tragedy, children can live n their own world and have epic magical adventures—but it still felt jarring and took me out of the movie. Still, it’s an awesome film that is beautifully shot and makes you feel things.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

martinlutherbling posted:

Man, Florida Project was fantastic. Some of the best child acting ever, especially from the main character. Not sure if spoiler, but the second to last scene was amazing and heart wrenching. The last scene was loving awful, though, and was a complete tonal and stylist shift from the rest of the film. I’m sure that was intentional—I think the director wanted to show that even in the face of massive personal tragedy, children can live n their own world and have epic magical adventures—but it still felt jarring and took me out of the movie. Still, it’s an awesome film that is beautifully shot and makes you feel things.

Yeah, nothing against Willem Dafoe, but I felt like his Oscar nominated performance wasn't even the best from the film. I have no idea why the girl who played Moonee isn't getting more acclaim.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Child actors are nearly never given enough credit. See: Hailee Steinfeld's Best Supporting Actress Oscar nomination for True Grit.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
At some point, Prime added all of Kinji Fukasaku's Battles Without Honor or Humanity series. Guess I know I'm doing this weekend.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Coaaab posted:

Child actors are nearly never given enough credit. See: Hailee Steinfeld's Best Supporting Actress Oscar nomination for True Grit.

Seriously. I'm a hardcore Jeff Bridges fanboy and she carried that movie.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Coaaab posted:

Except when they're given too much credit. See: The Sixth Sense

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

regulargonzalez posted:

lol i remember the insane hype that film had at the time. good thing that director never turned out to be a hack.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

lol i remember the insane hype that film had at the time. good thing that director never turned out to be a hack.

Unbreakable and Split were both good. The first 3/4s of Signs was good, and had one of the few scenes in a horror movie to get to me (the birthday party scene). The rest, well... eesh.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

regulargonzalez posted:

I dunno I'm enjoying resurgent Haley Joel Osment as a comedic actor

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

I'll defend that movie to the end. The plot is the just mechanism to explore what the movie is actually about, which is a compelling exploration of loss, grief, and acceptance. The twist aside, it's a really good film that is understated in all the right ways. Shyamalan really does have some good directing chops when he wants to.

I think his biggest mistake was putting a twist at the end of Unbreakable. I like that movie too but having a twist at the end of each movie effectively pigeonholed him into that being his thing and really hampered his future efforts.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I've been into the Civil War lately and saw that Netflix had a big ol' 10 part pbs documentary about it. Good god I'm falling asleep just typing about it. They need to start prescribing this to insomniacs.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
nothing puts me to sleep like a nice warm glass of How It's Made

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

drunken officeparty posted:

I've been into the Civil War lately and saw that Netflix had a big ol' 10 part pbs documentary about it. Good god I'm falling asleep just typing about it. They need to start prescribing this to insomniacs.

I'll fight you.

It's the thing that made Ken Burns' carrer. His recent The Vietnam War series was astoundingly depressing. Good god.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

regulargonzalez posted:

I'll defend that movie to the end. The plot is the just mechanism to explore what the movie is actually about, which is a compelling exploration of loss, grief, and acceptance. The twist aside, it's a really good film that is understated in all the right ways. Shyamalan really does have some good directing chops when he wants to.

I think his biggest mistake was putting a twist at the end of Unbreakable. I like that movie too but having a twist at the end of each movie effectively pigeonholed him into that being his thing and really hampered his future efforts.

The twist that Bruce Willis was dead the whole time works because it reveals that he hasn't accepted his own death yet. Shyamalan's takeaway was that people want twists, and he hamfisted them into the next several movies, instead of understanding why that twist worked.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Thwomp posted:

I'll fight you.

It's the thing that made Ken Burns' carrer. His recent The Vietnam War series was astoundingly depressing. Good god.

Yeah, Ken Burns makes good documentaries, but I will inevitably fall asleep during one that I'm even really into. I've found that personally for me, they're better as something I can watch while doing something else like cooking or vacuuming. I haven't seen the Vietnam one yet, but I want to

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
M Night didn’t get what made his own movie work because he ripped off the general premise from an episode of Nickelodeon’s Are You Afraid if the Dark:

https://www.bustle.com/articles/34374-the-sixth-sense-ripped-off-an-are-you-afraid-of-the-dark-episode-heres-the

Parachute
May 18, 2003
yeah im just spitballing here but i dont think AYAOTD was the first one to come up with that concept

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Parachute posted:

yeah im just spitballing here but i dont think AYAOTD was the first one to come up with that concept

Yeah, it's only the twist of every god drat ghost story ever told.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Parachute posted:

Maybe not but based on the details it appears to be the one M Night was cribbing off of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Last Flag Flying went up on Prime and piqued my interest on account of the cast of Carrel, Cranston and Fishburne, and it follows a plot that is broadly emotionally manipulative but really manages to do most of its work through the characters. I liked it a lot.