Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Asproigerosis posted:

Actually your chud qb is just following the directions from his handlers, he wasn't even born until after kelly hung it up.

Yeah right. The same handlers that couldn't even wipe his twitter would be competent enough to tell him how to act in this case?

In my head canon Josh Allen immediately researched the team that drafted him and seeing the words "wide right" triggered some manchurian candidate poo poo and past life regression so now he understands: kill patriots kill dolphins kill jets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Athanatos posted:

Brissett is still on the roster

I don’t know if this is a joke

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t know if this is a joke

It is, regardless of whether it was intended to be or not.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

It was. Brissett is a nice, cheap backup to have, but the Colts would have gone QB with the top pick if they thought Luck was dead.

He is, in fact, very alive and strong, and the only reason he isn't throwing is because they don't want his immense strength ruining all the practice balls.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What could go wrong with the steady hand of Irsay steering the ship?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What could go wrong with the steady hand of Irsay steering the ship?

The barbiturates wearing off.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

The soccer mom daughter is steering the ship, Irsay's grand captains wheel doesn't actually work.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

That's a weird way to spell Doug Flutie

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Sour Diesel posted:

buffalo loves their lovely quarterbacks of the past more than other teams
It's not like we've ever had a quarterback on Kelly's level. Before or since. If Josh Allen turns into even a Flacco-level quarterback, he will be worshiped by the faithful as the New Messiah.

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

It's not like we've ever had a quarterback on Kelly's level. Before or since. If Josh Allen turns into even a Flacco-level quarterback, he will be worshiped by the faithful as the New Messiah.

That's a low bar

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Finger Prince posted:

That's a weird way to spell Doug Flutie

That's a weird way to spell Rob Johnson

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Within like the past decade the colts have intentionally lied about the health of their star qb just so they could keep ticket sales alive while tanking to draft his replacement.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
The Messiah for buffalo was Kyle Orton he was just ten years late

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lookin' real jacked, baby

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

FizFashizzle posted:

Within like the past decade the colts have intentionally lied about the health of their star qb just so they could keep ticket sales alive while tanking to draft his replacement.

But they didn’t draft his replacement is my issue.

I don’t doubt for a second they would lie

Unless you think they plan to tank this year

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 13, 2018

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

pasaluki posted:

Actually was legit impressed with how respectful Allen was. IMO he understood what it meant for Kelly to be out there. The kid understands how good Kelly was in his time, what hes going through medically, and what he means for the city. Couldn't poo poo on this even if I wanted to.

E: Its corny as poo poo for the dude to say "literally shaking" for fans of other teams, but for Bills fans the fact that he gives that much of a poo poo about Jim Kelly does actually matter. Its hard to explain but Bills fans and Buffalo fans like...almost personally love their sports heroes to a weird extent. Like if there were two murderers who committed basically the exact same crimes and before the execution one says "I love Thurman Thomas" I'd be like ok still pull the switch and all but this guy aint that bad.

If a Buffalo Bills legend definitely killed two people, would a WNY jury ever convict him?

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
I think the Colts simply don’t know. Nobody can know until Luck actually starts throwing the football. I think they just punted the decision to next year. 3rd overall was only going to get you the 2nd or 3rd best QB prospect, so maybe they didn’t think they’d get their guy. They could have traded up, but if the Jets moving into 3rd was any indication, the price tag to move to 1st or 2nd must have been insane. So instead they traded down to help fill out the holes in their roster. If Luck comes back, they’ll be glad they did. If Luck doesn’t come back at the level he was at before, they’ll still be a pretty terrible team in a tough division, and in position to pick high again.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Sheriff posted:

a tough division

AFC South has finally achieved "not garbage" status. :unsmith:

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

AsInHowe posted:

If a Buffalo Bills legend definitely killed two people, would a WNY jury ever convict him?

If he stayed in WNY he never would have committed those murders in the first place.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
If Luck isn’t ready to go to start the season and the Colts open 0-4 or something then I bet they go full tank.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2018/05/12/detroit-lions-players-matt-patricia/604574002/

Doubling down...

quote:

Detroit Lions general manager Bob Quinn, president Rod Wood and owner Martha Firestone Ford came out united in their support of coach Matt Patricia when news of his 22-year-old arrest first surfaced this week. Now, one of the team's most prominent players said the locker room is standing by its coach as well.

“I don’t know the full details, but I know inside of our locker room, we support Coach Patricia to the max,” receiver Golden Tate told the Free Press. “There was nothing — didn’t even go to court, I think it was thrown out, so why is it even a problem? Honestly, I feel for his family, who have to deal with this right now. And I know that this isn’t how we want to start the offseason dealing with this crap, and so it’s going to blow over, obviously, it always does.”

Patricia was arrested in March of 1996 and accused of sexual assault during a spring break trip to South Padre Island, Texas.

The case was dismissed in January of 1997 when the accuser declined to testify, and Patricia emphatically denied the allegation Thursday in a 7-minute press conference attended by Quinn, Wood and Ford.

Tate, who will speak at the inaugural Detroit Free Press Sports Award ceremony next Friday, said he watched Patricia’s press conference and that Patricia “pretty much said exactly what he said in the press conference” to players earlier in the day.

“I talked to the team today and I told them exactly what I said to you guys — and told them the truth,” Patricia said. “I also took this opportunity again, to one more time focus on the fact that in this time we do need to be sensitive and responsible, and I used this as a learning moment for them so we can all try to be better.”

Tate said players did not ask Patricia questions about the incident after their team meeting, but he acknowledged “there’s been discussions in the locker room, of course.”

Asked what was said in those discussions, Tate said, “It’s locker room talk.”

“We’re just going to try to stay focused and we are a family right now, which our job is to protect our family, so as an organization we’re going to hover around Coach and his family and protect and love them the best way we can,” Tate said. “But this situation is completely, to me, unacceptable and a bunch of B.S. that it’s even got to this.”

“This guy’s been coaching for a bunch of years and now this comes up,” Tate added. “When I was applying for jobs at Chili’s when I was 18 and other jobs, they always ask on the applications, which is way lesser than what he’s applying for, obviously, but they ask you, have you been convicted of anything or do you have any misdemeanors or whatever it is? And both of those answers are no. So I don’t understand why this is coming up now, why it’s a big problem.”

Some observers have wondered whether revelations about Patricia’s arrest could undermine his credibility in the locker room, especially since he and Quinn have emphasized bringing high-character players into their program.

What happens, for instance, if a player is accused of a serious crime and denies his involvement?

“People that are bringing up the issue that it creates a risk that he has to deal with situations like this and looks like a hypocrite, I think that’s real,” former NFL executive Joe Banner said. “The day-to-day, being a head coach, I think he’ll be what he would and have the relationship with the locker room that he would have whether this happened or not.

“It will add to the players’ sense of unequal treatment in terms of how coaches and owners are treated by the leagues versus how players are treated by the league. Fair or unfair, it will create a discussion.”

Tate said he doesn’t think the allegation will impact how players view Patricia or muddy the message he’s trying to get across as a first-year coach.

“I think we have some great guys with common sense and great leadership inside of our locker room that if there is any negative talk, guys will shut that down pretty quickly because we understand what’s going on a little bit better, and it’s probably — we’re going to rally around each other,” Tate said. “I just think it’s a bunch of bullcrap. I think it’s a bunch of B.S. that it’s even being talked about.”

The DA spoke out: https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2018/05/10/matt-patricia-accuser-refused-testify/600779002/ but not much new information really.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sure are a lot of juicy comments out there:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Sheriff posted:

I think they just punted the decision to next year. 3rd overall was only going to get you the 2nd or 3rd best QB prospect, so maybe they didn’t think they’d get their guy.
As it turns out 3rd overall would have gotten them the best QB prospect.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Diva Cupcake posted:

As it turns out 3rd overall would have gotten them the best QB prospect.

Also 32nd overall

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Metapod posted:

Also 32nd overall

This is what I was thinking too!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

SKULL.GIF posted:

Sure are a lot of juicy comments out there:

Quality Dairy is a Lansing-area chain of convenience stores, much like a 7-Eleven with a more elaborate bakery.

I wonder what that poster, a Lansing resident, thinks about what's going on at MSU.

you know what would really get the team circling the wagons and rallying around each other, a big group gang rape

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Football Coach Heroically Overcomes Tragic Rape He Committed

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Football Coach Heroically Overcomes Tragic Rape He Committed

I thought the Onion did that but for Rothlisburger.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
I think when the Detroit lions said they wanted to be like the patriots they focused on the being hated more than like, being a good team.

still we don't know how this new rebranding to the Detroit rapists is going to end up.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Eltoasto posted:

It was. Brissett is a nice, cheap backup to have, but the Colts would have gone QB with the top pick if they thought Luck was dead.

He is, in fact, very alive and strong, and the only reason he isn't throwing is because they don't want his immense strength ruining all the practice balls.

The Colts made him a long term offer he refused. I wonder if that ever made news.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Metapod posted:

Also 32nd overall

10th overall

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Looking to Reddit for the worst takes imaginable really feels like cheating imo

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Looking to Reddit for the worst takes imaginable really feels like cheating imo

I'm sympathetic to this viewpoint but I don't think article comments or team-specific message boards are going to be any better. Or even NFL.com. /r/nfl is one of the biggest communities for football on the Internet and has nearly a million users, so it's at least a broad slice of the NFL fanbase.

At this point, regardless, I just want to laugh at idiots on the Internet.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
r.i.p. Pittsburgh native son Chuck Knox

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
775k is a pretty large slice so you’ve gotta at least understand where they’re coming from

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
What the hell has to go through your head for someone to tell you “Hey this guy raped a lady FYI” and your response be

“UGH everyone is out to get us!!”

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

People are being conditioned to blame the media for facts they don't want to hear.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

quote:

“I don’t know the full details, but I know inside of our locker room, we support Coach Patricia to the max,” receiver Golden Tate told the Free Press. “There was nothing — didn’t even go to court, I think it was thrown out, so why is it even a problem? Honestly, I feel for his family, who have to deal with this right now. And I know that this isn’t how we want to start the offseason dealing with this crap, and so it’s going to blow over, obviously, it always does.”
lol gently caress golden tate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

100% he just said "Look we were both drunk I thought everything was fine" and all of the players just nodded in agreement.

• Locked thread