Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Okay, so I'm fairly early into the game, I've only done the Argo mission, and I'm still running your starter Lance with a Shadow Hawk, Vindicator, Blackjack but replaced the Spyder with the Centurion you get from the Argo. Both non-story missions I have are 1 skull, but they feel way more difficult than that. Both have me going up against twice as many mechs as I have, and while they're a mix of light and medium mechs, I'm still getting rolled. Like My SH mechwarrior keeps getting hit in the head constantly, twice I've restarted the missions because she'd straight up died to a bunch of locusts shooting the L laser at her. The blackjack gets knocked on the ground constantly. My counter attacks are anemic at best, barely scratching a jenner or locust when they do hit. Like Yea, of course they're going to be hard to hit do to their movement, but the 4 mechs shooting at one locust should not knock off half a pip of armor.

one of the missions always puts me into a pincer attack that I cannot get out of because of how silly the setup is.

I know the game is all about tactical choice and knowing when to do what, but I'm feeling that the game is just straight up being bullshit in these missions. There's a difference between being punishing for your mistakes, and just straight up RNG bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

deathbagel posted:

In the original BT tabletop game, we eventually outlawed tanks because they were just flat out better than mechs. They were cheaper and had more firepower per ton so you could just mass them and overwhelm any mech lance. I am kind of glad they made them so scary in this game. I always take out vehicles first unless there is a priority target in my face that needs to be handled.

Yeah I like to imagine if I could field a second lance, but just of vehicles.

Why yes I'll take 4 SRM carriers thank you very much.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

twistedmentat posted:

Okay, so I'm fairly early into the game, I've only done the Argo mission, and I'm still running your starter Lance with a Shadow Hawk, Vindicator, Blackjack but replaced the Spyder with the Centurion you get from the Argo. Both non-story missions I have are 1 skull, but they feel way more difficult than that. Both have me going up against twice as many mechs as I have, and while they're a mix of light and medium mechs, I'm still getting rolled. Like My SH mechwarrior keeps getting hit in the head constantly, twice I've restarted the missions because she'd straight up died to a bunch of locusts shooting the L laser at her. The blackjack gets knocked on the ground constantly. My counter attacks are anemic at best, barely scratching a jenner or locust when they do hit. Like Yea, of course they're going to be hard to hit do to their movement, but the 4 mechs shooting at one locust should not knock off half a pip of armor.

one of the missions always puts me into a pincer attack that I cannot get out of because of how silly the setup is.

I know the game is all about tactical choice and knowing when to do what, but I'm feeling that the game is just straight up being bullshit in these missions. There's a difference between being punishing for your mistakes, and just straight up RNG bullshit.

Are you using your morale abilities? Vigilance removes all stability damage and gives a 50% damage reduction buff, and Called Shot is, well, called shot - target the CT of a light and your alpha strikes should take them out. You might need to better outfit your mechs, too (hint: the stock loadouts are hot garbage).

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Razzled posted:

all i know is the tanks look smaller than my mechs, is their size available to see in the ui?

also didn't know vehicles take double damage from melee, that's good to know.

on a side note, are there ever any good variants of light mechs? one of my favorite builds from MWO was the jenner that could fit like 6 medium lasers lol

as far as I can tell the only time it gives you anything's tonnage specifically is when its unidentified but within sensor range

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Brings to mind a question -- what does that target reticule actually do? I never noticed it make a difference in any UI element in particular.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I think its just from right clicking it to bring up the info but as its out of range it doesn't have any information to give you

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

CombatGameConstants, looking for "TEST_MechScaleMultiplier". Set it to 1 for accurate sized mechs.
Thank you sir!

Razzled posted:

all i know is the tanks look smaller than my mechs, is their size available to see in the ui?

also didn't know vehicles take double damage from melee, that's good to know.

on a side note, are there ever any good variants of light mechs? one of my favorite builds from MWO was the jenner that could fit like 6 medium lasers lol
I know when you see the tank on your sensors you can often see how heavy it is when it is close-but-not-spotted. I agree that the tanks look tiny.

There are some good variants of light mechs, but overall you should focus on moving to Mediums and then Heavies as fast as you can.

That Jenner is the K, I believe, and is not in the game. It would run SUPER hot in this game anyway. A 4 ML with the SRM converted to armor is very effective in this game, though.

twistedmentat posted:

Spoiler dat poo poo, yo.

Otherwise, sometimes the RNG is bullshit (like with head hits). Are you checking your to-hit chances before firing on the Locust? I often see them with 4 pips of evasion. You can always load and not take a mission if it is being particularly rough - the skull you see can have up to a one skull variance, and then the game can throw the toughest poo poo possible in that bracket at you. Other times you get lovely tanks and light mechs to deal with.

How are your mechs built? What strategies are you using? Its not hard to be cautious and slowplay it to let the suicidal AI come at you. Are you facing lots of LRMs that are knocking you over? What is happening that you are getting trashed while trying to shoot at a locust?

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

My tactic once I got the Cent was to use the Shadow Hawk as the forward observer/flanker piled up with SRMs (2 6s and a 4), the Vindi I swapped out the LRM for SRMs and used it as a support mech that mostly just finished knocking stuff down. The Blackjack I swapped out the AC 2s for an AC 5 and used it along with the Vindi to help knock things over. Finally the Cent, which was the key, I loaded 2 LRM 20s onto.

I put jump jets on everything except the Cent and every turn I jump to get the max evasion pips that I can get (all my pilots except my missile boat driver, who got Bulwark and Multi Target, have the first piloting skill to get more evasion pips) and I try and stay in cover as much as possible.

Get in range, sensor lock the first thing the Shadow Hawk can see, unload your LRMs into it to make it unsteady, move your other mechs up and finish knocking it down, core it with the Shadow Hawk the next turn. Of course, reinforcements or the rare occasion where the AI sticks close together and you can't lure any of them out on their own makes you mix it up a bit, as do the story missions which tend to have lots of things coming at you from all directions, but that general tactic can carry you far and let you get enough salvage to upgrade your mechs pretty quickly.

Also, always take max salvage. You will end up with more money that way in the end. Once you start putting together mechs, store them (don't salvage them) and sell them next time you are at a store. I have tens of millions of c-bills and I am at the point where I spend almost a million a month on expenses.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Two QOL items I would like:

1. Some way to indicate in the barracks which mechwarriors have enough experience that they can actually buy a skill.

2. Sorting +++, ++, and + salvage to the top between mechs and the rest of the garbage.

And a question - what the hell does the gyro "+2 melee hit" actually do in game terms?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Wow, just got to that APC mission and failed it between turns 1 and 2. That can't be right.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

ulmont posted:

Two QOL items I would like:

1. Some way to indicate in the barracks which mechwarriors have enough experience that they can actually buy a skill.

2. Sorting +++, ++, and + salvage to the top between mechs and the rest of the garbage.

And a question - what the hell does the gyro "+2 melee hit" actually do in game terms?

1) I just wait until I get the popup informing me that Mechwarriors are ready to be trained (I think it triggers at 10k banked xp)

Each 1 point in difficulty is 5% chance to hit/miss. So thats +10% melee hit.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The gyros with + hit and hit defense are 5/10/15% chance to hit/chance to avoid being hit.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

ulmont posted:

10% to hit with melee (usually). Each point of +/-1 To Hit increments hit chance by 5% up to +/-10 total, and by 2.5% per point after that, but I don't think melee has enough modifiers to get that far.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

ulmont posted:

I believe that grants your mech a +10% chance to hit enemies in melee, with each +1 representing 5%.

Similarly, the gyros that grant "+ hit defense" make you 5% harder to hit per point.

efb.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Wow, just got to that APC mission and failed it between turns 1 and 2. That can't be right.

The story mission with the barracks? Only way I could make it work was by bringing a Cicada and rushing it. It's only a 10t apc so its really easy to kill, not nearly as bad as the ones rushing the main objective.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Kenshin posted:

I think it will seeing as one of the dudes who invented BattleTech made this game. I'm reasonably sure that at this point HSB is allowed to make things canon.

Officially things like videogames and whatnot aren't canonical unless they get put in a sourcebook.

Officially, Adam Steiner became Archon of the Lyran Alliance, and the Crescent Hawks became a pretty prominent unit, and the Mechwarrior 4 evil ending happened.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

deathbagel posted:

In the original BT tabletop game, we eventually outlawed tanks because they were just flat out better than mechs. They were cheaper and had more firepower per ton so you could just mass them and overwhelm any mech lance. I am kind of glad they made them so scary in this game. I always take out vehicles first unless there is a priority target in my face that needs to be handled.

Firestarters can be made into mini death dealing machines. They are really the only light worth bothering with.

Also been a while, but I do remember things like AC/2s tearing the poo poo out of vehicles with through-armor crits from long range (which is easy because most don't move fast.) A Pegasus putting 6 SRM6s up your tailpipe after moving like 15 hexes is good fun though.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

The APCs coming from the right (From the nearest dropship pad) can move really fast and pretty much have to be dealt with immediately.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

mods change my name posted:

The story mission with the barracks? Only way I could make it work was by bringing a Cicada and rushing it. It's only a 10t apc so its really easy to kill, not nearly as bad as the ones rushing the main objective.
I made it - though only just - with my Grasshopper combined with maxed-out Piloting, which made mopping up the few mechs hanging around the barracks easy. Of course, that's just a secondary objective; the APCs going for the primary target are the real issue, but they're easy enough to handle if you just block the gate with a mech or two.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Thank you sir!

I know when you see the tank on your sensors you can often see how heavy it is when it is close-but-not-spotted. I agree that the tanks look tiny.

There are some good variants of light mechs, but overall you should focus on moving to Mediums and then Heavies as fast as you can.

That Jenner is the K, I believe, and is not in the game. It would run SUPER hot in this game anyway. A 4 ML with the SRM converted to armor is very effective in this game, though.

aw man, do lights not retain usefulness later on? i guess it's unavoidable that the end game is just 4 Atlases or whatever lol

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Razzled posted:

aw man, do lights not retain usefulness later on? i guess it's unavoidable that the end game is just 4 Atlases or whatever lol

Nope, you're going to be out numbered in any endgame mission, so you need the firepower and durability of heavies. Lights are great in mp, but the advanced gear that lets them be really great in SP is not something that exists in this time period.

If you want to do a good bit of modding then you can keep using lights forever if you feel like it though.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Arrath posted:

1) I just wait until I get the popup informing me that Mechwarriors are ready to be trained (I think it triggers at 10k banked xp)

Yeah, but I have 8 mechwarriors, so usually when the popup comes around only a few of them can actually be leveled up; it would be nice to know who.

DrPop posted:

I believe that grants your mech a +10% chance to hit enemies in melee, with each +1 representing 5%.

Similarly, the gyros that grant "+ hit defense" make you 5% harder to hit per point.

Ahh, ok.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Gwaihir posted:

Nope, you're going to be out numbered in any endgame mission, so you need the firepower and durability of heavies. Lights are great in mp, but the advanced gear that lets them be really great in SP is not something that exists in this time period.

If you want to do a good bit of modding then you can keep using lights forever if you feel like it though.

oh like ECM and stuff? i think i vaguely remember some sarna article about super fast myo-whatever muscles too that made them run faster

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

high six posted:

If I recall, tanks in the tabletop didn't have a heat mechanic to worry about. Not sure how that was explained in-universe.

I think it was because they didn't have fusion engines. I seem to remember a way to put a combustion engine in a mech, but it was not worthwhile.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

OB_Juan posted:

I think it was because they didn't have fusion engines. I seem to remember a way to put a combustion engine in a mech, but it was not worthwhile.

souped up argomech? hahaha

i remember some btech book i read had a rebellion where they were actually terrifying, rebels taking argomech autoscythes to infantry :O

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Okay game, you know what's kind of really annoying? Giving me a mission that involves keeping Kamea alive while achieving various objectives, and then having pretty much every unit exclusively gunning for her. Oh, also having not one, but two separate "surprise here's a big old wave of reinforcements at close range" triggers in there. She basically spent the entire mission running from one forest to another and hitting guard every turn while every single LRM and PPC came straight for her.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

That happened to me as well. Bring a couple of fast light or medium mechs to sto(m)p stuff and go full hero. 2 assaults can hold the rest off. Make use of the eject button if you really have to.

Edit: multishot on those assaults is very necessary for that mission

rocketrobot fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 14, 2018

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

OB_Juan posted:

Vehicles can carry fusion engines, they just weight 50% more (but I.C.E. are 2x the standard weight so it's still a space savings). They also can only use single heat sinks but can ignore heat from any non-energy weapon.

The downsides are that they *cannot* generate heat so they have to carry enough heatsinks for every energy weapon they carry. This does include the 10 free with a fusion engine if they took that option. If they went with an I.C.E. instead they also need power amplifiers to run those weapons, further increasing the weight requirements.

That fun little bit is why the Ontos carries 8 medium lasers for a whopping 33 tons (8 for the lasers, 1 (.8 rounded up) for the amplifiers, and 24 for the heatsinks)

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

deathbagel posted:

I want an unlimited C-Bill bracket. I am a House Steiner goon through and through. Grasshopper should be the lightest mech I'm forced to field, and just because I want a nice mobile scout!

There is an unlimited bracket but I've never tried it out. I imagine it's 4x Atlases / King Crabs

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

What's the in-universe justification for Mechs existing at all?

In reality I can't think of why you would want your weapons platform to be unstable with a five story silhouette.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Razzled posted:

oh like ECM and stuff? i think i vaguely remember some sarna article about super fast myo-whatever muscles too that made them run faster

Mostly all the weight saving stuff like DHS, XL engines + endosteel, so you can actually for max armor, weapons and heatsinks. MASC too for running ultra fast.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Perestroika posted:

Okay game, you know what's kind of really annoying? Giving me a mission that involves keeping Kamea alive while achieving various objectives, and then having pretty much every unit exclusively gunning for her. Oh, also having not one, but two separate "surprise here's a big old wave of reinforcements at close range" triggers in there. She basically spent the entire mission running from one forest to another and hitting guard every turn while every single LRM and PPC came straight for her.

I griped about that a few pages back too. Turns out, enemies will focus on whatever attacked them last for a couple turns, so use your other mechs to plonk at them and draw aggro.

kidkissinger posted:

In reality I can't think of why you would want your weapons platform to be unstable with a five story silhouette.

Versatility. The climate and terrain of the thousands of planets in the IS can vary so severely, that something with legs is ideal. Tanks and poo poo still make up the bulk of most military forces; think of mechs as the space marines from 40k. They are expensive and rare, but they can get anywhere regardless of terrain, be fitted for any role from stealth recon to anti-air, and are far more mobile and can fit a much more varied weapon layout.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 14, 2018

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

kidkissinger posted:

It's because they wicked sick.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

kidkissinger posted:

They're badass :colbert:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Taerkar posted:

Vehicles can carry fusion engines, they just weight 50% more (but I.C.E. are 2x the standard weight so it's still a space savings). They also can only use single heat sinks but can ignore heat from any non-energy weapon.

The downsides are that they *cannot* generate heat so they have to carry enough heatsinks for every energy weapon they carry. This does include the 10 free with a fusion engine if they took that option. If they went with an I.C.E. instead they also need power amplifiers to run those weapons, further increasing the weight requirements.

That fun little bit is why the Ontos carries 8 medium lasers for a whopping 33 tons (8 for the lasers, 1 (.8 rounded up) for the amplifiers, and 24 for the heatsinks)

But then you slap an XL in an assault tank, and pile in a billion LRMs because tanks can have multi ton ammo bins that only take up one internal space. Combined with the ignoring heat for ballistics and missiles tanks have a great niche.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

kidkissinger posted:

All-terrain capability is a fairly significant one. Mechs can pretty decently operate in forests, mountains, underwater, or space. Many vehicles can't even deal with heavy forests.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I griped about that a few pages back too. Turns out, enemies will focus on whatever attacked them last for a couple turns, so use your other mechs to plonk at them and draw aggro.

Oh, nifty. I'll have to try that, thanks!

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'd like to see a mod let us be other-than-mechs and a "warzone" mission type where it's a long rear end multi-vehicle gently caress fest with a big payout.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I got this game for my b-day and have been playing for a few days now. The strategic interface pretty clunky. I especially despise how bringing a mech out of storage has zero gear on it, and you can see the default setup pushing the ? at the top, but applying that setup as a template? Nah, who needs that. I'd rather toggle the default setup window over and over again as I manually install one section at a time. Even though I'm generally not going to use the stock setup, I'd rather see what it looks like so I can start making modifications. Any kind of template system would be really nice really. Also when modifying a mech things like total armor would be lovely to see.

Missions seem kinda unpolished too. I'm really tired of being told that I can complete the main objective and then bug out rather than clear the field when my main objective is to kill everything on the field. Also how "reinforcements have been recalled and are en route" doesn't mean they'll be there in a few rounds, or that they're approaching from any particular direction, it just means that more enemies will spawn once you arrive at your checkpoint. The worst is when the spawning mechanic doesn't even put them very far away. One mission I had a hell of a time completing because it decided that reinforcements meant that suddenly there was a heavy standing next to my trebuchet all of a sudden because reasons.

Despite all that I'm really enjoying it and can't wait to eventually get some of the bigger mechs.

A few things I'm still unclear about;

Is there any kind of ironman mode or do I just need to not allow myself to save scum if I want?

I figured out how to control which hex I want to melee attack from, so long as I'm not already in melee range. If I start the turn already in melee range, I can't move around to hit a mech from a different angle, is that correct? That seems really stupid, and doesn't apply to NPCs.

What exactly are the mechanics of getting mech salvage? Taking out the legs tends to leave 3 parts I think, but if you destroy any part of the torso it seems kinda random. Is it actually random or are there mechanics to it?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

high six posted:

If I recall, tanks in the tabletop didn't have a heat mechanic to worry about. Not sure how that was explained in-universe.

Explanation uses HBS values.

Tanks get no heat from ballistics or missiles.
Mounting an energy weapon on a tank must account for all heat with heat sinks.
Does not apply if the tank has a fusion engine rather than internal combustion engine (ICE) for the first 30 heat of energy weapons

A medium laser on an ICE tank weighs 4 tons (Laser 1ton 9*heat +3tons -3/heat per turn heat sinks) and does 25 damage. AC/5 weighs 8tons +ammo and does same 25 damage per shot in table top. AC/2s weight 6 tons +ammo and do 10 damage per shot. HBS battletech buffed the autocannons to not be hot garbage. AC/2s still suck.

A PPC on a non fusion tank weighs 17 tons, does 50 damage. An AC/10 weighs 12 tons +ammo does 50 damage. On a fusion tank its 7 tons for the first PPC, 17 thereafter. (shrek ppc carrier has 41-51 tons devoted to its triple ppc load depending if its fusion or not, plus some weight for the turret mount) HBS likely did not account for added heat their balancing passes did with regards to vehicles, as to not change any default tank designs as it does not effect the player.

*HBS medium laser if converted straight from table top would do 9 heat vs the 10 we see in game

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Battletech is neat and all but when is HBS going to make a strategy adaptation of One Must Fall: 2097.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

kidkissinger posted:

I've always wondered this as well, but I just chalk it up to technology decay and mechs just happen to be the only things these people still know how to maintain from the good old days. 99% of combat would be decided in space. One ship in high orbit could easily take out as many mechs as it wanted, on the ground or in giant awkward bubble looking transport thing.

Perestroika posted:

All-terrain capability is a fairly significant one. Mechs can pretty decently operate in forests, mountains, underwater, or space. Many vehicles can't even deal with heavy forests.

I've never seen mechs in space but that sounds kinda like absurd fun. Jump jets required. Or do you just mean like lunar surfaces?