Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Mordja posted:

Battletech is neat and all but when is HBS going to make a strategy adaptation of One Must Fall: 2097.

:vince:

Now there's a game I haven't heard mentioned in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

I've always wondered this as well, but I just chalk it up to technology decay and mechs just happen to be the only things these people still know how to maintain from the good old days. 99% of combat would be decided in space. One ship in high orbit could easily take out as many mechs as it wanted, on the ground or in giant awkward bubble looking transport thing.

There are the Ares Conventions which specifically prohibit orbital bombardment, because everyone would be loving dead otherwise.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Gwaihir posted:

But then you slap an XL in an assault tank, and pile in a billion LRMs because tanks can have multi ton ammo bins that only take up one internal space. Combined with the ignoring heat for ballistics and missiles tanks have a great niche.

Very few in-universe tanks use XL-engines and most of them are pretty heavily armored. A Super LRM-carrier XL-engined tank would be extremely expensive and do very little that a handful of lighter and far cheaper LRM carriers couldn't do. (There is a Heavy LRM carrier in setting. 4xLRM-20s on an 80 tonner, still ICE and costs 3M C-Bills).

I'm not entirely positive but I think the earliest in-universe vehicles to carry XL engines were the Challenger X MBT and the Alacorn Mk VI. Possibly the Fulcrum?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mechs exist solely because they are Wicked Awesome, everything else is just wildly waving your hands to justify what needs no justification besides one massive robot kicking another in the head and making it explode.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

counterfeitsaint posted:

I've always wondered this as well, but I just chalk it up to technology decay and mechs just happen to be the only things these people still know how to maintain from the good old days. 99% of combat would be decided in space. One ship in high orbit could easily take out as many mechs as it wanted, on the ground or in giant awkward bubble looking transport thing.
Nuking/remote striking a unit from space does not give you control of the planet though. You have to land troops to take over. Battlemechs in lore are more reliable, maneuverable, and adaptable than tanks. They can also be piloted by one person; when interstellar travel is limited by space, being able to take one x ton mech with one pilot is easier than an x ton vehicle with Y crew, especially with the other considerations. Tanks are still a huuuuge proportion of the militaries of the various InnerSphere states because they cost less and require less training to use, so they are great garrisons.

Also,

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

There are the Ares Conventions which specifically prohibit orbital bombardment, because everyone would be loving dead otherwise.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

So the abilities folder includes entries for a few intriguing things including off-map arty strikes and air strikes. Do these ever come up, or were they shelved at some point during development?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Mechs are also capable of making combat drops which is a definite plus for invasions/raids.

The game would actually be more representative if 90% of the foes you faced were vehicles, but there really aren't enough vehicles available for them to do that in game.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I've never seen mechs in space but that sounds kinda like absurd fun. Jump jets required. Or do you just mean like lunar surfaces?

They have been used in fluff as supplemental anti-fighter support on dropship and warship exteriors, especially the SLDF era ("Fighters? What could they possibly do")

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

deathbagel posted:

In the original BT tabletop game, we eventually outlawed tanks because they were just flat out better than mechs. They were cheaper and had more firepower per ton so you could just mass them and overwhelm any mech lance. I am kind of glad they made them so scary in this game. I always take out vehicles first unless there is a priority target in my face that needs to be handled.

Honestly you were probably not running the rules correctly, or not exploiting the weaknesses of vehicles. KIcking the treads of a tank instantly immobilizes it, flamers/inferno SRMs cook them easily. To be fair once you bring tanks into the game you're running into spergy level rules understanding and its easy to overlook their weaknesses.

By cheaper do you mean tonnage, CBill cost, or battle value? Because the really good, deadly tanks (w/ fusion engines) were expensive by BV and Cbill.

Tanks got really deadly when supporting mechs, but alone they died to an equal sized force of mechs pretty much every time.

Granted most mechs don't pack the really good tank-killing weapons by default; for various hand-wavium reasons.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Arrath posted:

So the abilities folder includes entries for a few intriguing things including off-map arty strikes and air strikes. Do these ever come up, or were they shelved at some point during development?

Cut because they were not fun to go against, as well as for time. They couldnt figure out a version where it wasnt just "move from this area, incoming bad things" as a game play mechanic.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Arrath posted:

off-map arty strikes happen by event in one of the plot missions, but that's the only time I've seen them so far.

winterwerefox posted:

Cut because they were not fun to go against, as well as for time. They couldnt figure out a version where it wasnt just "move from this area, incoming bad things" as a game play mechanic.

This is exactly how it worked in that plot mission.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Fair enough.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

winterwerefox posted:

Which is odd to me IMO, because it would be reasonable counter to Bulwark camping and leading the rather dumb AI into killzones.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

I just had the end of mission dropship kill Kamea and blow up her mech. The mission ended as a success but she shows up as KIA on the summary. Will this cause the game to break somehow or am I fine?

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
You're probably fine.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You'll have to put up with her spooky ghost though

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
If you haven’t run the KS “Phantom” pilot, you’re truly missing out on space-redneck vo work.

He replaced the immortal “Dekker” in all my drops. :v:

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Mordja posted:

Same, and I hope it reads: "The Aurigan Reach was a failed, backwater tyranny that tore itself apart through a series of pointless, bloody civil-wars and was later absorbed by the Capellan Confederation." :unsmigghh:

Fixed with a much cooler faction.

Xin Sheng, etc etc.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Eldragon posted:

Honestly you were probably not running the rules correctly, or not exploiting the weaknesses of vehicles. KIcking the treads of a tank instantly immobilizes it, flamers/inferno SRMs cook them easily. To be fair once you bring tanks into the game you're running into spergy level rules understanding and its easy to overlook their weaknesses.

By cheaper do you mean tonnage, CBill cost, or battle value? Because the really good, deadly tanks (w/ fusion engines) were expensive by BV and Cbill.

Tanks got really deadly when supporting mechs, but alone they died to an equal sized force of mechs pretty much every time.

Granted most mechs don't pack the really good tank-killing weapons by default; for various hand-wavium reasons.

I honestly don't remember exactly why we cut them, this was about 25 years ago, I only remember that we did cut them because they would just dominate mechs, we were kids so we very well may have gotten the rules wrong, but vehicles being strong in this game still feeds my nostalgia!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Airspace posted:

Fixed with a much cooler faction.

Xin Sheng, etc etc.

They've been my best buds this campaign. Also I think I'm a war criminal now. Like an extra big one

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

What are the changes I would have to make in the json files to have double heat sinks show up from time to time in stores?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
My Atlas pilot who got his Atlas by head shotting it from his Orion, just headshot another Atlas.

Glitch be happy. :smug:

I just want a king crab or a stalker now, I would be happy with either.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Kenshin posted:

:vince:

Now there's a game I haven't heard mentioned in a long time.

If it's been that long, I bet it's been a while since you heard the amazing intro music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckj-A2eoXuo

maybe it's just nostalgia but :allears:

counterfeitsaint posted:

Is there any kind of ironman mode or do I just need to not allow myself to save scum if I want?

I figured out how to control which hex I want to melee attack from, so long as I'm not already in melee range. If I start the turn already in melee range, I can't move around to hit a mech from a different angle, is that correct? That seems really stupid, and doesn't apply to NPCs.

What exactly are the mechanics of getting mech salvage? Taking out the legs tends to leave 3 parts I think, but if you destroy any part of the torso it seems kinda random. Is it actually random or are there mechanics to it?

No ironman mode yet, but it's pretty likely in a patch or two.

I could use help on #2 as well -- melee in general is finicky. I usually hit 'v' to go to melee targetting and choose a spot from there but it doesn't always seem to work right. Is there a better way?

Take out CT = 1 part. Take out both legs = 2 parts. Take out head or kill the pilot through knockdowns / side destruction = 3 parts.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

deathbagel posted:

I honestly don't remember exactly why we cut them, this was about 25 years ago, I only remember that we did cut them because they would just dominate mechs, we were kids so we very well may have gotten the rules wrong, but vehicles being strong in this game still feeds my nostalgia!

Until they drastically updated the vehicle hit location tables and crit tables (along with the motive system rules) vehicles were laughably fragile. Losing a tank after a single hit was not uncommon.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

NmareBfly posted:

If it's been that long, I bet it's been a while since you heard the amazing intro music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckj-A2eoXuo

maybe it's just nostalgia but :allears:

No ironman mode yet, but it's pretty likely in a patch or two.

I could use help on #2 as well -- melee in general is finicky. I usually hit 'v' to go to melee targetting and choose a spot from there but it doesn't always seem to work right. Is there a better way?

Take out CT = 1 part. Take out both legs = 2 parts. Take out head or kill the pilot through knockdowns / side destruction = 3 parts.

So RT and LT don't matter at all?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

They've been my best buds this campaign. Also I think I'm a war criminal now. Like an extra big one

House Liao own. We need some Lao Hu action.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

counterfeitsaint posted:

So RT and LT don't matter at all?

You'll lose out on salvaging the weapons stored in those pieces if you blow them off, but they don't matter towards capturing the mech.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Night10194 posted:

You'll lose out on salvaging the weapons stored in those pieces if you blow them off, but they don't matter towards capturing the mech.
Not directly, but RT and LT destruction cause a pilot injury each.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Night10194 posted:

but since enemy mechs never mount +/++/+++ weapons it basically doesn't matter

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Night10194 posted:

The odd thing here is that when you have 3/3 parts you get the stock loadout for free, don't you? So if you salvage a mech by blowing both torsos then knocking it over until the pilot turns to mush you've generated most of the guns out of thin air.

Kenshin posted:

but since enemy mechs never mount +/++/+++ weapons it basically doesn't matter

I've gotten those as salvage plenty of times. Do they only show up after the mission is over and aren't actually active on enemy mechs during one?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
how do you protect your arms? is it a matter of how you turn your firing arc?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

NmareBfly posted:

I've gotten those as salvage plenty of times. Do they only show up after the mission is over and aren't actually active on enemy mechs during one?
Yes.

(HBS' lance-assembly system for procedurally-generated contract creation does not allow for swapping loadouts on mechs, though I suspect it is something they could add without too many issues)

Razzled posted:

how do you protect your arms? is it a matter of how you turn your firing arc?
Yes, with some randomization, but if you've got a very weakened arm or side torso, make sure that side is facing away from the enemies and they won't be able to hit it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

NmareBfly posted:

The odd thing here is that when you have 3/3 parts you get the stock loadout for free, don't you? So if you salvage a mech by blowing both torsos then knocking it over until the pilot turns to mush you've generated most of the guns out of thin air.

Gameplay concession - they tried it the other way and it wasn't as much fun.

Oh right another QOL I want: one button to "refit mech to where I had it before the arms were blown off."

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Finished the campaign and in the final mission I assume we all destroyed the rest of her lance and then just brutally kicked Victoria in the shoulders and legs until she fell over enough times to pass out?

Very good game but god drat it was chugging so much by that final mission I just can't go on. Is Unity just really bad or something?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

deathbagel posted:

Some of the air vehicles are pretty strong too. Getting headcapped by a Yellow Jacket from across the map isn't fun (except for the helicopter pilot).

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Pierson posted:

Very good game but god drat it was chugging so much by that final mission I just can't go on. Is Unity just really bad or something?

move / delete your old save files. It actually helps a ton.

ulmont posted:

Gameplay concession - they tried it the other way and it wasn't as much fun.

Oh right another QOL I want: one button to "refit mech to where I had it before the arms were blown off."

Oh yeah, I wasn't complaining. I just thought it was odd. These two are actually tied together in a way IMO -- if you got an empty chassis and could just press a button for the standard loadout (maybe even automatically checking and buying from the local store if there's missing gear) it'd be a lot less onerous.

There are a ton of QoL things this game wants, and I assume someone in HBS has a 40 page document of all of them. My main thing gameplay-wise is that terrain does not appear to affect hit tables at all besides base to-hit, and I think that'd be neat (if hard to implement.) Like, if my legs are hosed up I should be able to stand behind a small hill or a building or something. Also true for melee hits on different gradients -- if I'm above the attacker they should not be able to punch off my head.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I've never seen mechs in space but that sounds kinda like absurd fun. Jump jets required. Or do you just mean like lunar surfaces?

They actually address the issue of orbital bombardment in-universe. The short version is that during the two massively apocalyptic wars they waged the vast majority of the actual warships got blown the gently caress up (the smaller stuff you see in the game doesn't have big enough weapons to hit from orbit - they're basically the same stuff you see on your mechs) and things like nuclear weapons aren't used because of how out of control they got before. Everyone's got a stockpile of nukes, but they know that the next big nuke fest will probably be their last.

Think of it more like the US and Russia dicking with each other via lovely little proxy wars because they know that if things get really big no one wins.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Pierson posted:

Finished the campaign and in the final mission I assume we all destroyed the rest of her lance and then just brutally kicked Victoria in the shoulders and legs until she fell over enough times to pass out?

Victoria did nothing wrong

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Flipswitch posted:

Victoria did nothing wrong

this is the weakest attempt at a hot take

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I just did the bit where she admitted to doing a chemical attack false flag style so maybe I take it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Psion posted:

this is the weakest attempt at a hot take

But it’s the correct take.