Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Omnicrom posted:

SRW X is great because spends over a dozen stages dumping on Char. There's a great scene between him and Bellri that amounts to Bellri basically telling Char he's totally wrong and has no clue how history and culture work. This is incidentally after a chat between him and Aida that Bellri interrupts after someone nudges him in the ribs and says "Hey, you know Char has a thing for girls, you really want your sister spending time with that creep?"

Also you can get the Nightingale and it's a real good unit.

yeah it rules, it takes bellri multiple fights with char to get him to start talking like a normal human being

I like the finale of his arc where it's revealed that deep down beneath the ~red comet~ persona is just an insanely socially awkward dude who is really bad at dealing with his emotions

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Botman posted:

Speaking of Char, I want to get some opinions from Gundam English Dub nerds on something: about 4 1/2 years ago, I got Brad Swaile to autograph a Char's Counterattack movie poster. Steve Blum is going to be a guest at a local convention I'm attending next month. Do you think I should have him sign the poster as well, even if he didn't play Char in that movie? I only attend the one local con each year, so I doubt I'd get the chance to have it signed by any other Chars.

In other words, keep the poster with only Amuro, or have it also signed by "Gundamn" Char?

Eh, I'd see if you can get it signed by Kopsa at some point, I think he'd be a way better fit, and at least personally I do consider him to be the definitive english Char.

And then you can frame and mount that sucker.

Botman
Mar 3, 2006
DASH DASH DASH!!!!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Eh, I'd see if you can get it signed by Kopsa at some point, I think he'd be a way better fit, and at least personally I do consider him to be the definitive english Char.

And then you can frame and mount that sucker.

That would be the best case scenario, yes, but like I said, I just go to the one single local con. Plus, I did some searching, and it doesn't look like Kopsa does the anime con circuit. It more then likely won't happen, so the question remains: is Blum better than nothing?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Botman posted:

That would be the best case scenario, yes, but like I said, I just go to the one single local con. Plus, I did some searching, and it doesn't look like Kopsa does the anime con circuit. It more then likely won't happen, so the question remains: is Blum better than nothing?

Absolutely. At the end of the day you've still gotten something signed by Steve Blum.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'd say it'd be better to have Blum sign anything else you have that'd be more relevant. I just don't think it makes sense on a CCA poster tbh.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's a Gundam! WHAT?! A GUNDAM?!

Let's light him up with the machine gun.
No machine gun for him, shoot him down!
Buttzechs!

It can't be...
A GUNDUM

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 13, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'd say it'd be better to have Blum sign anything else you have that'd be more relevant. I just don't think it makes sense on a CCA poster tbh.

Hell get him to sign your shirt or something

or a copy of Urban Reign

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

If it has to be a Gundam thing, you could bring a copy of Rise from the Ashes.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Can you remind me what scene that is? I haven't seen the dub in forever but I have the Japanese version so I can check real quick.

Edit: Nevermind, found it. It looks like it's supposed to be more like "He's powerful! Could it be...?" Basically he's saying "That suit isn't taking damage. Could it be...?" (With the unspoke dialogue being "Could it be made of Gundanium alloy/could it be a Gundam?")

Kyoudo translates better to strength as in the strength of the armor. I'd say something like "What strength! How could it be?" Because the masaka part could also just be Zechs being flabbergasted at the Gundam taking a few direct hits and brushing it off.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

Char Aznable is right and did nothing wrong hail aeug

I don't get it, what does Char have to do with the AEUG???

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

I don't get it, what does Char have to do with the AEUG???

Maybe they're confusing Char Aznable with AEUG leader Quattro Bajeena? They do both have blonde hair.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Maybe they're confusing Char Aznable with AEUG leader Quattro Bajeena? They do both have blonde hair.

I mean, Kai did say Quattro’s a Char. Maybe they’re both in the same club?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Whatever you have him sign, be sure to ask if could sign it more like Spike. Dude'll love it.

Yinlock posted:

yeah it rules, it takes bellri multiple fights with char to get him to start talking like a normal human being

I like the finale of his arc where it's revealed that deep down beneath the ~red comet~ persona is just an insanely socially awkward dude who is really bad at dealing with his emotions

Same.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Huh, so Narrative Gundam is just a weirdo mashup.

https://www.gundam.info/news/info/news_info_20180514_10.html

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RillAkBea posted:

Huh, so Narrative Gundam is just a weirdo mashup.

https://www.gundam.info/news/info/news_info_20180514_10.html

It's half finished by the looks of it. Also doesn't seem to have a movable frame if they're still applying armor bits to the underlying skeleton?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Botman posted:

Speaking of Char, I want to get some opinions from Gundam English Dub nerds on something: about 4 1/2 years ago, I got Brad Swaile to autograph a Char's Counterattack movie poster. Steve Blum is going to be a guest at a local convention I'm attending next month. Do you think I should have him sign the poster as well, even if he didn't play Char in that movie? I only attend the one local con each year, so I doubt I'd get the chance to have it signed by any other Chars.

In other words, keep the poster with only Amuro, or have it also signed by "Gundamn" Char?

If you have the poster in which has Char, Amuro and the nu gundam with a bazooka, I officially hate you. I think it was released when the english dubbed release first came out. I had it but it got damaged during a move. I wish I could get another copy of it.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Yinlock posted:

char is basically a hyperdramatized late- to post-boom japanese everyman more than amuro is, in terms of living forever in his father's shadow as his training and talent are rendered useless by changes in society and his unstable living arrangements make him useless through inexperience in social contexts. it's why he accidentally became so enduringly popular, reality caught up with who the audience insert was.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mandoric posted:

char is basically a hyperdramatized late- to post-boom japanese everyman more than amuro is, in terms of living forever in his father's shadow as his training and talent are rendered useless by changes in society and his unstable living arrangements make him useless through inexperience in social contexts. it's why he accidentally became so enduringly popular, reality caught up with who the audience insert was.

he also holds insane grudges and gets mad when fulfilling those grudges don't improve his life in any way, but keeps letting them drive him anyway

guy is a mess

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Yinlock posted:

he also holds insane grudges and gets mad when fulfilling those grudges don't improve his life in any way, but keeps letting them drive him anyway

guy is a mess

an accurate, if unflattering, picture of anime fans born after 1970 in japan or 1980 in america

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mandoric posted:

an accurate, if unflattering, picture of anime fans born after 1970 in japan or 1980 in america

how many of them want a 17 year old magic space girl to be their mothers

(though in char's defense he was clearly losing his loving mind in that fight, but that's a hell of a fruedian slip)

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Yinlock posted:

how many of them want a 17 year old magic space girl to be their mothers

(though in char's defense he was clearly losing his loving mind in that fight, but that's a hell of a fruedian slip)

I mean, anime fans, so the most unlikely part of that string is 17 because it's too high.

Still, I'm not here to dunk on either side of the comparison, it just fits really well including the obsession with teen girls as a motherly counterpart born from still seeing oneself as not yet fully adult.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I love when char slips the mother line in the dub how Brad Swaile just gives the most WTF What!? reply imaginable.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

I love when char slips the mother line in the dub how Brad Swaile just gives the most WTF What!? reply imaginable.

even in the original amuro just lets out a sound of pure disgust

it's very much the bottom of char's downward spiral, he's just gone at that point

e: char's just fun to talk about really, he's charismatic, brilliant and easy to empathize with but is also just a giant piece of poo poo that absolutely ruins everything he touches

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 15, 2018

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

He gets a lot of love for Quattro, as well. A lot of people assume that's Char without the mask (metaphorically), but it's arguable that he's burying himself even deeper.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

HitTheTargets posted:

He gets a lot of love for Quattro, as well. A lot of people assume that's Char without the mask (metaphorically), but it's arguable that he's burying himself even deeper.

he's still wearing a mask like that metaphorically since he keeps insisting he's quattro, so i'd say he's burying himself

he's fully unmasked in counterattack and that's also where he reveals just how twisted a person he is deep down

e: someone needs to teach that man how to NOT compartmentalize emotions, because when he gets his wires crossed he starts trying to genocide in memory of his pretend teen mom

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 15, 2018

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The question of whether or not Char was ever a good person is an interesting one. I think he was, in his own very Char way, trying to be a good person in Zeta. It's why he can say he's never betrayed anyone (EVER!) and totally mean it, because "Quattro" hasn't betrayed anyone. That was Char. Quattro is a good guy, Char isn't, and you can't really compare the two!

Casval is a sad, broken little boy in a man's body who has no idea who he really is. I think he legitimately cared about people like Lalah and Kamille but the former died and the latter became a vegetable and so he lost everyone worth caring about and had nothing left but to try and make his life serve some kind of purpose.

Also, if Ghost Lalah was haunting him like she was Amuro, that probably didn't help.

edit:

I will say though that, in spite of the obvious and justified comparisons,. Zechs was clearly a better human being than Char. He had clear moral qualms that Char never did. The MSG Char > Quattro > CCA Char line is pretty blurred since, while the outline is the same, the details are pretty different.

Sorry, I'm re-watching Wing.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 15, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Char reminds me a lot of Handsome Jack in that they are both absolutely insane but so utterly convinced that they are correct that when they do show affection for someone else they goddamn well mean it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Well, if we're looking at Char overall, I think the picture's incomplete without Dakar.

He takes off his shades, admits his identity, takes responsibility, and states his ideals with conviction.

What's more, it actually does good, unlike his usual. The Earth Federation turns on the Titans, from the grunts to the top councils. What's more, although it's subtle, it's one of the few times Char actually loving admits he did something wrong.

I'd say that Char, at least as much as the one in Char's Counterattack, is a "real" Char. They have the same goals, the same hatred of taking authority, and in visual terms they're both showing an unmasked face.

I'd go as far as to say that Char's Counterattack Char could only exist because of the earlier iteration. The devil's a fallen angel, and Char is only able to do so much harm because he briefly managed to rise above his own limits.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

quattro may not have a "mask" per say but he's still hiding like a third of his face with some giant loving shades

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

My favorite description of Quattro (reiterated up above by NikkolasKing) is that Quattro is Char pretending as hard as he can he's not a lovely person. He actually might have succeeded if he hadn't pinned literally all his hopes on Camille.

Unicorn for all its faults has the ultra great Diner scene where the guy gives an absolute pitch-perfect reading of Char. "Maybe he was just a guy who never learned to love humanity" is a great one sentence summation of the man's life.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Omnicrom posted:

Unicorn for all its faults has the ultra great Diner scene where the guy gives an absolute pitch-perfect reading of Char. "Maybe he was just a guy who never learned to love humanity" is a great one sentence summation of the man's life.

That scene is so good I wish Mineva was the protagonist and not Banagher.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Also, if Ghost Lalah was haunting him like she was Amuro, that probably didn't help.

I don't think she was, which probably pissed him off even more tbh

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, if we're looking at Char overall, I think the picture's incomplete without Dakar.

He takes off his shades, admits his identity, takes responsibility, and states his ideals with conviction.

What's more, it actually does good, unlike his usual. The Earth Federation turns on the Titans, from the grunts to the top councils. What's more, although it's subtle, it's one of the few times Char actually loving admits he did something wrong.

I'd say that Char, at least as much as the one in Char's Counterattack, is a "real" Char. They have the same goals, the same hatred of taking authority, and in visual terms they're both showing an unmasked face.

I'd go as far as to say that Char's Counterattack Char could only exist because of the earlier iteration. The devil's a fallen angel, and Char is only able to do so much harm because he briefly managed to rise above his own limits.

that's probably where a lot of the whiplash comes from, where he goes from that to the absolute headcase in cca, and both are totally in-character

SRW X goes with the "he gave up totally after kamille got coma'd" explanation, and of course after kamille wakes up char tries to kill him to purge his own "weakness" because he's char and an rear end in a top hat

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

And then Kamille makes fun of him for his bad hair cut.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ethiser posted:

And then Kamille makes fun of him for his bad hair cut.

To be fair to Char, he fully admits Kamille is in the right about that one. Even he has standards.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Chip Cheezum once called Solid Snake "the biggest badass to ever die a virgin" and it makes me wish Char hadn't gotten any either.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Of course Kamille would be a dick and clown on Char about his hair after being in a coma for a long time. OF COURSE.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Gundam Narrative: Banagher becomes an incel after not getting any from Mineva

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Raxivace posted:

The only good part about RahXephon is the OST tbh. The rest of it is bland as hell at best, and pretty bad at worst.

I don't know. I quite liked the mechanical design and at least parts of the romance between the main characters. There's a whole lot of nonsense in the show, but I remember liking it when I did watch it. Mostly I remember liking the first and last episodes along with that one episode where Hayato kills the Dolem without realizing it was his friend and possible love interest controlling it though. I should re-watch it some time.

Omnicrom posted:

One of my big problems with Coordinators in Gundam is that when they were revamping the original Gundam they forgot "spacenoid" and "newtype" are not interchangeable terms. There's lots of talk from Zeon about how Spacenoids are the master race and the successors to humanity and adapted to life in space, but the important and obvious thing is that it's all just so much noise. Spacenoids are not better than earthbound humans, this could not be more explicit. The joke to this is that Newtypes do exist, that there are people who actually can understand each and are well adapted for life in space, but the punchline is that ultimately they aren't important. Newtypes may be "Superior", but they're rare and often unaware of being newtypes and ultimately they don't actually matter because the change they promised by their existence never emerges from their existence.

Then you get Gundam SEED where Coordinator means both "Spacenoid" and "Newtype" at once. The Coordinators ARE superior to terrestrial humanity, it's right there in their genes. They're stronger, smarter, healthier, and all-around better and SEED and DESTINY have real trouble realizing this or parcelling out what it means. Earth v Space looks much different when Space people are explicitly superhuman, but Earth v Space has barely budged between Gundam 79 and Gundam SEED and that's a failure of imagination and of setting.

On the other hand, for all the talk of how Coordinators are genetically superior to Naturals it rarely feels that way in my opinion. Most Coordinators are no better than Naturals at anything outside of piloting, and once there's a Natural use OS even that difference is minimized. Additionally, while Coordinators revolutionized warfare with the invention of the mobile suit in setting, it was Naturals who refined it in several ways to create phase shift armor, isolate and weaponize mirage colloid and came up with the ideas for things like situational backpacks as well as transforming mobile suits. All ideas which Coordinators take on and can only marginally improve in Destiny. If the show didn't make sure to fill out every single battle with hordes of bigots screaming death to the opposing side I doubt you'd never know there was even supposed to be a difference in ability.

Now, I doubt it's really intentional on SEED's part and it's probably down to a mix of (a) needing both sides to have idiocy so as to create drama, (b) Fukuda and Murosawa wanting to demote everyone else in the cast so as to elevate Kira and Lacus and (c) them not really knowing how to write notably intelligent post humans so as to sufficiently differentiate them instead of a concerted effort on their part, but I think the end result is the same regardless.

What is this picture trying to say? I'm assuming it's supposed to be about how Amuro killed Lalah, but acts like Char is the one that did it? But that's not actually what happens. Amuro is pissed at Char for bringing Lalah in to the war and making her a pilot, not for killing her. Which he recognizes is his own fault. Immediately after she dies he shouts about how he's done something he can never take back after all.

Yinlock posted:

judau is the only protagonist of the UC trilogy to not end up as some kind of burnt-out husk of a person so he's got that going for him

None of them end up that way. Amuro in Char's Counterattack is focused on Char or his job for much of the movie, but the scenes where he's with Chan or Hathaway on Londenion have him act quite relaxed and friendly. Chan even comments that he's really nice most of the time, but gets distant occasionally. Which the movie gives good reason for, both in him being focused on finding Char and because Lalah haunts his dreams (which results in the one distant moment between Amuro and Chan). I've heard he reads as suicidal or at least fatalistic in Beltorchika's Children, but I can't say as I get that impression from him in Char's Counterattack. Kamille is definitely burnt out at the end of Zeta, but he's definitely recovered from that and seems to be quite happy by the end of ZZ and Judau I can't really comment on since I've never seen most of ZZ.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

It has apparently been far longer since I've seen ZZ than I would care to admit because I don't remember that at all.

Not surprising, since the doctor part isn't in ZZ. Kamille recovers quite a bit throughout ZZ, starting out as a near comatose mute who communicates with Judau through simple imagery using Newtype senses and progresses to the point that in the Dublin arc he's running around and even manages a few hesitant words with clear intent and meaning behind them. Kamille and Fa leave the show at that point, bar a brief scene in the finale where Kamille is laughing as he runs down the beach with Fa; suggesting he's recovered fully. There's a manga that has him as a doctor, but nothing in animation ever goes in to his life again.

Mandoric posted:

The problem with that theory being that Char was always pretty popular, and reality never had to catch up with people's opinion of him. Also, that's it complete and utter hogwash and Char's training and talents never became useless in his society. Just the opposite: his training and talents for combat and leadership became more relevant later in life; not less.

Yinlock posted:

though in char's defense he was clearly losing his loving mind in that fight, but that's a hell of a fruedian slip

Disagree. He's quite calm and rational for most of the fight. The only time I think you could say he's losing it is right at the finale, when he exclaims that Amuro has no right to judge him because he killed Lalah (and that she could have been a mother to him), but that's literally just after Amuro insults Char by saying that he thought Char was more broad-minded than to use Quess. I think Char's outburst is him getting snippy at Amuro, because he feels hurt by Amuro's comment. Other than that, he seems quite level headed throughout the fight. Passionate sure, but not emotionally or mentally unstable.

Omnicrom posted:

My favorite description of Quattro (reiterated up above by NikkolasKing) is that Quattro is Char pretending as hard as he can he's not a lovely person. He actually might have succeeded if he hadn't pinned literally all his hopes on Camille.

I really don't get why people think this to be honest. Quattro is the one that disappears as soon as Haman is distracted and who is never shown to find out about or check up on Kamille. Even if you want to assume he found out by Newtype sense off-screen it doesn't make sense; since Newtype senses usually convey accurate, if vague information and Kamille would have to communicate "I'm dead" despite not only living, but starting to communicate with people within a few days. If Char had made even the most cursory of checks he'd have found out Kamille was okay; especially if he'd done it more than a week or two later.

More than that, I don't even think his actions in Char's Counterattack need Kamille to explain them. He's trying to be patient and give people (as well as himself) a chance in Zeta, but he himself is defeated and nothing immediately changes so he tries to force the matter, since, as Sayla says in ZZ, he sees himself as having a grand destiny. People often repost that image of Amuro and Char taking about how human sacrifices run in Char's family in Zeta followed by Char looking at the whiskey glass in Char's Counterattack, but ignoring that he's clearly thinking about Lalah in that scene from Char's Counterattack I think the argument he and Amuro have at the start of Char's Counterattack during the battle over Fifth Luna is far more indicative of Char. Amuro says that Char's actions will kill a lot of people, and Char responds that it doesn't matter because he has the right to judge people. He doesn't consider himself a sacrifice; he considers himself a judge.

NikkolasKing posted:

I will say though that, in spite of the obvious and justified comparisons,. Zechs was clearly a better human being than Char. He had clear moral qualms that Char never did. The MSG Char > Quattro > CCA Char line is pretty blurred since, while the outline is the same, the details are pretty different.

I don't really see how that changes anything. Just because you ponder the scope of your lovely actions doesn't make it less lovely when you make an honest attempt to do it anyway. It might be worse, if you assume that Char never had any moral qualms, since Zechs had them but cast them aside regardless of how lovely he thought what he was doing might be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

A pair of random observations while rewatching CCA:

-Older Gundam in general seems to have a really hard time remembering how zero gravity works onboard ships.

-Why the hell are there giant tires lashed to the sides of the Ra Cailum?