Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

littleorv posted:

Hell yeah I am

You don't count

Regy Rusty posted:

Yes, why wouldnt I

I enjoyed SJ well enough but can't possible imagine replaying it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

RatHat posted:

Knucklemaster in A Link Between Worlds has gotta be the worst Zelda boss ever.

Nothing will ever beat The Imprisoned which sucks in both Skyward Sword and Hyrule Warriors.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Cake Attack posted:

apparently the strange journey redux comes out today. is anyone brave enough to buy it?

It’s getting delivered today. Hopefully I can actually be bothered to finish it this time! The new content sounds pretty cool too.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Nothing will ever beat The Imprisoned which sucks in both Skyward Sword and Hyrule Warriors.

I dunno, does the Imprisoned spam the same nearly unavoidable attack for the whole fight? Oh it also breaks the floor to give you less room to move.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

You don't count

Rude.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

RatHat posted:

I dunno, does the Imprisoned spam the same nearly unavoidable attack for the whole fight? Oh it also breaks the floor to give you less room to move.

Did you try hiding on the wall while he's attacking

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Help Im Alive posted:

Did you try hiding on the wall while he's attacking

You can only hide for so long and the boss can and will spam that poo poo for like 15 seconds straight. Maybe I just got really unlucky AI.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh snap. I just assumed there would be a special launch edition. Guess not!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

You don't count

I enjoyed SJ well enough but can't possible imagine replaying it

I never played the original so getting the remake was a no brainer.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Strange Journey was never bad, it just adhered (foolishly, per some) to the real old-school dungeon crawler design philosophy of "let me make this dungeon needlessly convoluted/punishing/frustrating to the player" in terms of complex layout, or traps, or misdirections, or all three at once!

Some people are genuinely into that kind of stuff, and to the game's favor the underlying game was pretty decent in its own respect.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I have not played Strange Journey, but I have been shown a map for one specific floor and it was a doozy. No one floor should have that much teleports.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

RatHat posted:

You can only hide for so long and the boss can and will spam that poo poo for like 15 seconds straight. Maybe I just got really unlucky AI.
I found Knucklemaster to be really easy, I dunno what to tell you.

Mierenneuker posted:

I have not played Strange Journey, but I have been shown a map for one specific floor and it was a doozy. No one floor should have that much teleports.
Ahhh, Eridanus 1F :allears:

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Spellman posted:

Starfox 64 is one of my favorite 3DS games

Feel like adding: gyro controls can now be played with the 3D effect on with decent results, on New 3DS models

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I never played Strange Journey so I have Redux preordered from Amazon. Annoyingly I'm in the US currently but obviously can't get it here. Unless I get a US 3DS to play it on. :v:

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Mierenneuker posted:

Apparently the new one has an app that shows the destination for each teleport which should make it a lot easier. I beat the original way back when it first came out and that level sure was something. I don’t know how I had the patience to complete it.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I see Virtue's Last Reward is on sale atm and I kinda wanted to try these games out. What are my non-pirate options for playing 999? I could just buy Nonary collection on Steam of course but then I don't get to actually play it on my 3DS and that is at least half the reason I'm interested in the series in the first place (also I'm cheap as gently caress and it's not on sale). I live in bumfuck nowhere, not-America-land, so getting the DS hardcopy would basically cost me more than even the Nonary Games collection on Steam and probably involve 15 days shipping or some poo poo. Is the Nonary collection version a big improvement on the original?

E: Also is there any resource for browsing new releases/special offers better than the actual eshop, because there is never any rhyme or reason to why it will hide AAA releases behind two pages of garbage indie games and have garbage browsing options to the point where I have owned a 3DS for almost two years and I still feel like I haven't seen half the poo poo I'm interested in on the system. For example I saw Strange Journey redux was up on the new releases now and I realized I dunno if I've ever come across any SMT game just browsing the store before. The garbage storefront making it a chore to find games is at least 90% of the reason I don't use my 3DS enough.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 13:03 on May 18, 2018

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The only other option you didn't mention would be the mobile version but don't play that one because it gets rid of all the puzzles.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nonary collection has high res art and changes a puzzle near the end that doesn't work outside of a 3DS, otherwise there's not much difference.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

The only other option you didn't mention would be the mobile version but don't play that one because it gets rid of all the puzzles.

Well that sucks. Not that surprising I guess. Really wish 999 was on PC as a standalone so I could at least save some cash just buying Virtue's Last Reward on the 3DS.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

Nonary collection has high res art and changes a puzzle near the end that doesn't work outside of a 3DS, otherwise there's not much difference.

Just out of curiosity, what do they do for that puzzle in the non-DS versions? Not to mention retaining the correct perspective for it.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Insurrectionist posted:

Well that sucks. Not that surprising I guess. Really wish 999 was on PC as a standalone so I could at least save some cash just buying Virtue's Last Reward on the 3DS.

I'd just go the PC route at this point.

The 3DS version of VLR is okay but a certain puzzle room is infamously buggy, causing random crashes and potentially corrupting save data if you saved during that sequence and it crashes. This is not an issue in any of the other versions.

Also, if this happens to apply to you, the PAL 3DS version doesn't include the English voice acting, only Japanese. The US version has both, and so does the remaster.

999's original DS version has one clever trick up its sleeve, and it's actually very neat when you see it (don't look it up, major spoiler), but the remaster is much easier to recommend because of the flowchart; you no longer need to replay the entire game over and over from the beginning to reach the true ending. Also, voice acting.

Zat fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 18, 2018

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Insurrectionist posted:

I see Virtue's Last Reward is on sale atm and I kinda wanted to try these games out. What are my non-pirate options for playing 999? I could just buy Nonary collection on Steam of course but then I don't get to actually play it on my 3DS and that is at least half the reason I'm interested in the series in the first place (also I'm cheap as gently caress and it's not on sale). I live in bumfuck nowhere, not-America-land, so getting the DS hardcopy would basically cost me more than even the Nonary Games collection on Steam and probably involve 15 days shipping or some poo poo. Is the Nonary collection version a big improvement on the original?

Why don't you just buy 999 on DS? It's still worth whatever full price was when it was released. $40 or so. If you can get it for under $30, you are getting a deal. The only way to play it is on DS. All the other versions are inferior. And beyond being a fun game to play, it's a great story. It shows off the capabilities of a VN better than any game I have read/played.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

oh gee i don't know, maybe he doesn't want to pay 40 dollars for a decade old game that he can get bundled with its sequel for like 25 regularly

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yo anyone got some good game recommendations for the 3DS? I'm bored at work, I've got Ultra Moon, Fire Emblem Warriors, Hyrule Warriors, MGS3, Samus Returns, and StarFox 64. SMTIV, Super Mario 3D Land, and I've played Rune Factory 4, and Harvest Moon, I loved Rune Factory, but Harvest Moon didn't feel similar enough to capture what I loved about Rune Factory (automating my farms, and going out to tame / breed new animals for rare drops.)

I love Starfox, Pokemon, SMT, Persona, Shooting Games, Metroidvanias, and fun JRPGs that aren't too depressing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If you like SMT, they just released SMT Strange Journey this week. It's a remake of a DS title. First person dungeon crawling, if that's your cup of tea.

Atlus also recently released Radiant Historia on 3DS. Another DS remake without much changes, but it's a solid title. Check out the very generous demo. It's got a unique time traveling mechanic where you progress by hoping between two timelines.

Give Story of Seasons a shot. It's a Harvest Moon game, but under a new title. (Natsume owns the Harvest Moon name, so the last couple on 3DS aren't real Harvest Moon games. The HM devs now make them as Story of Season.) I haven't played them, so I can't comment on if they have the things you want. You might have accidentally played one of the bad HM games. (There's a million of them.)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Turtlicious posted:

Yo anyone got some good game recommendations for the 3DS? I'm bored at work, I've got Ultra Moon, Fire Emblem Warriors, Hyrule Warriors, MGS3, Samus Returns, and StarFox 64. SMTIV, Super Mario 3D Land, and I've played Rune Factory 4, and Harvest Moon, I loved Rune Factory, but Harvest Moon didn't feel similar enough to capture what I loved about Rune Factory (automating my farms, and going out to tame / breed new animals for rare drops.)

I love Starfox, Pokemon, SMT, Persona, Shooting Games, Metroidvanias, and fun JRPGs that aren't too depressing.

Link Between Worlds. The Kirby games. Rhythm Heaven Megamix. Animal Crossing New Leaf.

They’re all still some of my favorites on the system.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Both Kirby games are great.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

Bravely Default and its sequel are awesome.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

Help Im Alive posted:

I liked it a lot but I also stopped playing at the very end because I couldn't beat the final boss of the law route

Mem-Aleph? Yeah that's were I stopped playing too. Loved it otherwise. Won't be getting the redux though because I played the original just before it was announced. Like a couple weeks after I decided to put it down they announced the remake.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Why don't you just buy 999 on DS? It's still worth whatever full price was when it was released. $40 or so. If you can get it for under $30, you are getting a deal. The only way to play it is on DS. All the other versions are inferior. And beyond being a fun game to play, it's a great story. It shows off the capabilities of a VN better than any game I have read/played.

I'd have to order it from Amazon or wherever and in the time of eshops that is :effort: and also would probably cost me out the rear end in shipping.

At that point as mentioned I'm better off just buying the bundle, even if it means not getting to play it on the go.

Any reason the bundle re-release didn't make it onto 3DS? Too resource-intensive for the poor handheld or something?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Linnaeus posted:

Bravely Default and its sequel are awesome.

I just finished Bravely Second today and drat it was good and now i'm sad that bravely third doesn't look like its happening anytime soon :(

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

mandatory lesbian posted:

I just finished Bravely Second today and drat it was good and now i'm sad that bravely third doesn't look like its happening anytime soon :(

What makes you say Bravely Third may not happen? I could've sworn the developer tweeted something awhile ago possibly hinting at a Bravely game coming to the Switch.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

Etrian Odyssey IV is an absolute must-play. It's an incredible rpg that uses both screens really well.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Speaking of, how's Etrian Odyssey 5 anyway

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Speaking of, how's Etrian Odyssey 5 anyway

It's great

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BisterdDave posted:

What makes you say Bravely Third may not happen? I could've sworn the developer tweeted something awhile ago possibly hinting at a Bravely game coming to the Switch.

I said anytime soon,the bravely teams been working on octopath traveler for a while so even if they started bravely third after that had finished it'll be months before we'd see it

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

I knowingly bought a bootleg DS game off eBay for $10. I'm hoping to get one that's just a microsd card glued to the inside of a flashcart.

Then I'll overwrite the rom and make myself a Miles Edgeworth 2 repro.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.

theshim posted:

Ahhh, Eridanus 1F :allears:

Speaking of, I'm getting the itch to replay this again but I've never owned the cart for it. I've also kind of regretted not picking up Radiant Historia as well but it seems I have a dilemma here. There's remakes out for both, correct? I can get both of the originals in a nearby store but is there a reason to try for the remakes over those instead?

Also, a bit of a random question but once EO6(?) comes out, that's the last confirmed ATLUS game for 3DS, correct? (unless e3 has some stuff up its sleeves)

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Seiyal posted:

Speaking of, I'm getting the itch to replay this again but I've never owned the cart for it. I've also kind of regretted not picking up Radiant Historia as well but it seems I have a dilemma here. There's remakes out for both, correct? I can get both of the originals in a nearby store but is there a reason to try for the remakes over those instead?

Also, a bit of a random question but once EO6(?) comes out, that's the last confirmed ATLUS game for 3DS, correct? (unless e3 has some stuff up its sleeves)

The remake of Radiant Historia adds a new ending and probably some new plot and qol stuff.

The remake of Strange Journey adds a metric fuckton of QoL improvements and a bit of bonus content. Do not, under any circumstances, get the old version, unless you are a glutton for tedium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

F. Lobot posted:

I knowingly bought a bootleg DS game off eBay for $10. I'm hoping to get one that's just a microsd card glued to the inside of a flashcart.

Then I'll overwrite the rom and make myself a Miles Edgeworth 2 repro.

Post the results when you're done!