Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Fermented Tinal posted:

A coworker of mine has one and it literally looks like an Autobot. His kid loves it.

I am pretty sure that is no coincidence.

I am sure there is a big overlap in Japan of both groups of fans.

I suppose that we should be grateful that they didn't base their design decisions on hentai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

spog posted:

I suppose that we should be grateful that they didn't base their design decisions on hentai.

Now I almost want to know what Words Worth or Bible Black would be like in car form. Almost.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Fermented Tinal posted:

What, you don't like the look of black expanded sheet metal, or a fascmille of it?

Toyota's been doing it literally for forever. Example:

But it's not the ENTIRE FRONT END.
I mean, just go look at any current Lexus. It's ALL GRILLE (yet most of it *fake* grille.)

iwentdoodie posted:

Yeah, but that's a loving amazing wizard of a car.

The Camry is a woman named Cathy with a bob cut who yells about not enough ketchup packets with her fries.

It looks like a car that a chav modified.
It looks like a toy for children.

It's mitigated somewhat by it actually being fast, but only somewhat. Way too boy racer.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
That's the signal of you being too old to be fun :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Ugh the front light on my bicycle decided to suicide in the front wheel and take like six spokes with it.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Darchangel posted:

Well, the maw has undergone revision over time. They will never stop doing it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

nm posted:

FYI, the reason defense attormeys object is to preserve the issue for appeal. If you don't object, you waive the issue, even if the judge has made their ruling and told the attorney what it is.
So, yeah, the judge is annoyed because they think they are correct and the attorney is basically saying they are wrong, but if the attorney doesn't object, you gently caress up the appeal.
Read nothing into objections or the ruling on the objections. They're not for you or even for this court.

Also, remember that half of the defense attorney's job is to convince people with good cases to go to trial and those without to plea. They almost never listen.

It's been long enough that the details are lost to my memory, but I recall most of them being absolutely nonsensical, like "are you even mentally all there" bad.

I think at one point he objected to the fact that his client was being charged because the victim got everything back (weeks later).

There was certainly nothing a good lawyer could have done for this guy anyway. The prosecutors could have literally just played the tape and sat down.

Otherwise, the next worst thing about my day was my fellow jurors. "You're the only man here, you be the foreman." Deliberations after that only took 30 seconds to collect everyone's guilty verdict.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Ugh the front light on my bicycle decided to suicide in the front wheel and take like six spokes with it.

Your new bike? Bummer.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
You sentenced a man to jail to uphold the patriarchy smfh

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah. My fault for not making sure the little clip that held it in place was...clipped all the way. Whoops. At least the LBS was still open so I've just got to spend the evening rebuilding the wheel.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
in twenty-some odd years of being old enough to be summoned, I've actually only been called in to jury duty twice, both were for murders.

The first time was where I grew up where there's less than one murder a year in the city (I got dismissed during the interview process because my dad had worked with the county attorney), the second one was in LA and the presiding judge was the famous Lance Ito.

They filled that jury before I got selected for interview (I still had to sit in a grimy courtroom for 2 days), and getting stuck on a jury in downtown LA is obviously going to be a huge pain in the rear end that no one wants but I have to admit it would have been interesting to see a murder trial from start to finish.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Both times I've been asked to go were drug trials. Both times I got booted quick.

Sorry, I can't convict a guy to 20 years for weed.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I've been summoned at least 10 times since I was 20 (35 now.)

That includes getting a summons for federal grand jury duty twice.

Although the closest I've been to being seated on a jury was sitting at the courthouse for four hours before being dismissed when one defendant didn't show, and the other half dozen got continuances on their cases.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Need a little help with keys.

My wife has a 2010 Scion XD. She only has one key, the second key that came with the car was not for her car. They knocked a few bucks off the fees but we never got around to getting a spare. What's the cheapest option to have a key cut and programmed with with the remote lock/unlock option intact? Will this key work if cut and programmed?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Key-Fo...rear end!46825!US!-1

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
In my experience if you don't have the two factory keys you can't program more into the system without a dealership plugging their computer into the ECM/PATS module and reprogramming all of them, which usually adds another $150+ to the cost of the key.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Geoj posted:

In my experience if you don't have the two factory keys you can't program more into the system without a dealership plugging their computer into the ECM/PATS module and reprogramming all of them, which usually adds another $150+ to the cost of the key.

That's what I was hoping to avoid. The freelance guy who had the hookup got C&Ded out of business.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Camry chat: I literally thought someone had backed into the rear corners when I walked up on it. Then I realized it came from the factory that way.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Thus immortalizing the Camry Dent.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

That's what I was hoping to avoid. The freelance guy who had the hookup got C&Ded out of business.

If you're worried about not having a spare key, then just have one cut without the remote, that way if the original key is lost at least you have a way to drive your car. I have the same issue with my xB, came with just one keyfob cuz the PO lost one of them so I'm just gonna have one cut without the remote just in case. No point spending that kind of money just to have an extra remote.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Did Toyota/Scion not use a passive antitheft system with transponders in the key itself? That's usually where this becomes a problem.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Geoj posted:

Did Toyota/Scion not use a passive antitheft system with transponders in the key itself? That's usually where this becomes a problem.

I'm assuming it has one but I see a bunch of key blanks but it looks like it was an option for higher spec'd models.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

iwentdoodie posted:

The Camry is a woman named Cathy with a bob cut who yells about not enough ketchup packets with her fries.

And just like that the car has been ruined for me. Sincerely, thank you. It’s been breaking me to think it looked good.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I think ace will clone your key for cheaper instead of making a 2nd key with its own...footprint? Whatever the term is.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I'm assuming it has one but I see a bunch of key blanks but it looks like it was an option for higher spec'd models.

Well it's cheap to have a regular key made, see what happens. I'm hoping mine doesn't have an immobilizer guess I'll find out. If anything, you'd at least have an extra key to open the door if you lock the keys in it.

Cage posted:

I think ace will clone your key for cheaper instead of making a 2nd key with its own...footprint? Whatever the term is.

This is interesting, I wonder how they do it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Geoj posted:

To add to this, some locksmiths have the dealer software to edit the vehicle's key list. I was about to try one when we thought my keys got lost a few months ago, to get a new key for the Honda. Yeah the dealer wanted a stupid amount of money, and claimed they'd need to keep the car all day.

What ACE or most places that advertise that they make chip-enabled keys do, is simply clone your existing key. They have a third party specialty machine just for doing this.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Darchangel posted:

I mean, just go look at any current Lexus. It's ALL GRILLE (yet most of it *fake* grille.)

It just dawned on me. Look at the front end of my FJ45, and then at the front end of a current gen 4Runner and tell me you think I don't have a Toyota maw.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

spog posted:

Not quite as bad as Honda's new Type R

I could sit here and pick apart this design and tell everyone why it's objectively awful. Instead I'll just say looks wise I'd rather own virtually anything else ever made, it's that bad.

*edit: it gives me this sort of vibe, chavs throwing poo poo at a car simply because they can.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 09:17 on May 16, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Applebees Appetizer posted:

This is interesting, I wonder how they do it.

Had a locksmith friend. The cheaper locksmiths stock replacement key blanks that have a write-one-read-many chip in them (basically an RFID version of an EPROM), instead of read only. The copy machine will read your original key's chip, then write that to the new chip. The higher end locksmiths will have the equipment to program new keys (and often, key fobs) into a lot of cars. He was able to program a new fob into the old Saturd, which was normally something only a dealer could do.

(unfortunately, he did the massive stupid with his locksmith knowledge, lost his license, and is currently in county...)

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
A's in both my classes, sitting on a beach in Negril Jamaica, and skipped 209 chat thread posts. Life is good.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Adiabatic posted:

A's in both my classes, sitting on a beach in Negril Jamaica, and skipped 209 chat thread posts. Life is good.
Skipped this post.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

Good job, enjoy your trip.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Adiabatic posted:

Have fun. Don't get murdered.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

*Starts clicking report post buttons furiously*

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

My parents' AC wasn't working yesterday and they had to really work to get someone to come out. I went over and did a quick diagnosis of blower motor run capacitor took a poo poo and grabbed a spare cap for an outdoor unit I had at home and just plugged in the fan side just to get them running.

Tech / business owner showed up at 12:30AM (yes, AM) and completed the repair. And he offered me a job. :lol: Apparently, not many people do their own HVAC diagnosis.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Beginning of the year, I weighed 242 lbs (ballooned up after quitting smoking). This morning, I weighed 168 lbs. I basically suffered from a bad diet plus binge eating disorder but without the purge. I have no target weight to get to, other than to just "feel and look good by eating right and exercising". Overcoming the binge eating was the hardest thing. That took more willpower than quitting smoking. There's still times I want to hoover in everything I see. And getting the kid off juices and crappy cereal and such was tough. He loves vegetables and fruits, but also is a chocolate fiend. Both of us were, honestly.

Diet: essentially, it's paleo / keto diet. Water, unsweetened tea, black coffee. Intermittent fasting.
Exercise: some running, walking, biking, yoga, free weights when I can get it in, walking instead of using a cart when i play golf. Try and get at least 30 minutes of something a day. Bought a couple 'standing desk converters' for home and work.

No sugar. No processed foods. No flour/wheat/etc. No pasta. No rice (this was hard, given how much I love sushi). No potatoes. No HFCS. No soft drinks. No dairy.

Also, my house has a ghost that apparently wants me to play my PS4 Pro because it just randomly turned itself on...

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Awesome job! One of the toughest things you can do and stick with.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i skipped 666 posts hello

also hail satan

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Cage posted:

Awesome job! One of the toughest things you can do and stick with.

Thanks.

Did everything in stages, because changing too many things at once was a recipe for disaster. Taking the nuclear approach and trying to quit smoking change diet monitor food intake exercise all in one go was, frankly, mentally overwhelming. So I backed up, and took things one step at a time. First was quitting smoking. Then getting my intake / binge eating under control (with the help of some therapy). Then was emptying out the pantry, fridge, and freezer and taking stock of the good vs the bad (there was A LOT of bad).

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Tide posted:

Beginning of the year, I weighed 242 lbs (ballooned up after quitting smoking). This morning, I weighed 168 lbs.

That's a pretty loving solid amount of weight to lose my dude, nice work. Don't cut out poo poo you like though, that's hellish, just really make sure to watch the amount of nice stuff you're putting in your facehole. I eat whatever, just not a lot of it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Olympic Mathlete posted:

That's a pretty loving solid amount of weight to lose my dude, nice work. Don't cut out poo poo you like though, that's hellish, just really make sure to watch the amount of nice stuff you're putting in your facehole. I eat whatever, just not a lot of it...

I'm down 30 lbs since mid-January, similar to Tide's diet/plan.

The problem with "don't cut poo poo out" is that its a bad bandwagon. Food addiction is similar to any other - its a slippery slope to falling off the wagon.
I mean, I cheat - one day per week, one meal on that day. Keeps me happy enough, and I'm slowly trimming off the pounds. Back under 300 for the first time in...too long. Would like to drop another 50'ish by the end of summer/fall.

• Locked thread