Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Emong posted:

Those have been there the whole time, they're just really rare. The ++ versions only spawn on four planets in the game.

Uhh... which four? Kinda wanna make a PPC or LLaser death boat now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Zore posted:

Is this a serious issue? I haven't run into it at all.

How often have you seen it?

I'm really surprised you haven't seen it, because it happened to me maybe 5 times and each time it was a huge ballache.
It's so easy to walk a mech up a tiny ridge and get them stuck or mean it takes a turn or two to walk off it, the map doesn't make it clear enough that it's not just something you can step off. Buildings are super guilty of this too.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Zore posted:

Moving is counterproductive at Heavy+ since your range is lower and Bulwark means you are literally twice as durable if you stand still.

Also evasion is foolish to rely on because enemies have enough shooting to counteract it and will be flinging enough weapons at you some will probably get through. And even then you're taking more damage on average than you would if you had Bulwark because

in conclusion, lol, evasion blooooows.

Bulwark is deffo a better defense than evasion.

But jumpjets and movement aren't just for the evasion pips. Movement is also offense. You get better shot percentages because you're in the perfect range brackets, and you get side-shots that concentrate your damage. I use vigilance way more than precision shot because those side hits are like a free called shot.

It's definitely more dependent on mech selection than the bulwark thing though. The slow mechs don't work well, not just because they can't get enough evasion but also because you need the movement range for the position advantage.

Narsham posted:

This has been discussed before, but smarter AI isn't necessarily good for a game. Chess AI is really strong, but they have to include "dumb" chess AI in commercial games or nobody would ever play them because you'd have to be Grand Master skill-level to have a shot at winning.

The game AI needs to be good enough that it isn't punishing for players learning the game (like almost all those preview streamers) who don't know what they're doing. Having a difficulty slider or the like is tougher because it's not clear precisely how to increase difficulty. 8 mechs focusing fire can kill one of yours pretty easily, which would be really frustrating. The AI will target lock and engage outside your sighting range already, so having an AI that deliberately kites to do that for as long as possible wouldn't be fun for very many players.

yeah. people talk about the dumb AI stomping forward into their guns. it would be super-easy to program the AI to hold back and force the player to make those moves. it's a computer, it has infinite patience. but that would suck to play against.

on the flip side, this game isn't chess and there are some aspects that are much harder for an AI to make good decisions about. the thing that comes to mind for me is heat management. with any of the mechs that run hot, the AI doesn't make great decisions about when to "spend" its heat buffer. that's judgement and planning, which is hard for AI.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

BitBasher posted:

People here keep insinuating that jump jets aren't good because of bulwark. They are not mutually exclusive and can both be useful in the same fight. It's not one or the other.

The discussion seemed to have derailed into that, but what I had objection to when I first brought it up wasn't to the JJ use per se, but to using them every turn and relying on evasion.

JJs and Bulwark work just fine; I wouldn't take them on every chassis, but most mechs certainly benefit from the terrain-ignoring and fast turning repositioning.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Klyith posted:

Bulwark is deffo a better defense than evasion.

But jumpjets and movement aren't just for the evasion pips. Movement is also offense. You get better shot percentages because you're in the perfect range brackets, and you get side-shots that concentrate your damage. I use vigilance way more than precision shot because those side hits are like a free called shot.

It's definitely more dependent on mech selection than the bulwark thing though. The slow mechs don't work well, not just because they can't get enough evasion but also because you need the movement range for the position advantage.

I guess this stuff doesn't matter to me because I just called shot the centre torso with 82% every time with everything and oneshot the mechs. If I was going to try hard for salvage or to be more tactical I think Jump Jets would feel more useful but it's just not how I play.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

BitBasher posted:

People here keep insinuating that jump jets aren't good because of bulwark. They are not mutually exclusive and can both be useful in the same fight. It's not one or the other.

Yeah, but the argument was between 'You always need to move because standing still is death!!!!' and 'What are you talking about, Bulwark is a better defense than evasion every time'

And a sub discussion on if jumpjets were useful/necessary in and of themselves.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Taear posted:

I guess this stuff doesn't matter to me because I just called shot the centre torso with 82% every time with everything and oneshot the mechs. If I was going to try hard for salvage or to be more tactical I think Jump Jets would feel more useful but it's just not how I play.

The "Lurms into Knockdown into Called Shot the CT" meta doesn't care much about JJs since you just wait for the enemy to come to you and delete them the moment they get into weapons range, yeah. There's still some use for getting around obnoxious terrain, but generally you pick your environment and don't care for flanking (yours or the enemy).

There's more of an use case in the early game and multiplayer, where you will be fielding light and medium dickpunchers that want to quickly step on vehicles or get some back shots.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

BitBasher posted:

Agreed. I use both.

Also those thermal percentage items are so rare as to be useless.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Non mechanics chat: If Jon Everest doesn't get an award for this soundtrack then it'll be a travesty.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Taear posted:

The bulwark wall totally works and it works well. It might very well be the optimal strat.

I like playing cavalry style only by personal preference. It's more fun. It also takes longer to play missions because I have to think more. And it makes more lopsided results -- I win big when it works out, pay big repair bills when I overextend and get punished.

Zore posted:

Yeah, but the argument was between 'You always need to move because standing still is death!!!!' and 'What are you talking about, Bulwark is a better defense than evasion every time'

I feel like jumpjets can save a mech or a lot of repair bills even if you're playing the bulwark wall, and that's when one of your units gets focused on and you want to get it out of the line of fire. Jumpjets are great for moving backwards, and for breaking LOS.

Probably not worth the weight if that's the only use you get out of them though.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, weight is the thing. If jump-jets are only useful to a bulwark-heavy team once in a while, you might well be better off dumping them for more guns and more armour.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
idk what's up with people talking up the soundtrack. i found it completely generic / forgettable.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I gave the gauss an honest try guys; ran 7 missions with it on a Called Shot Master. Didn't ding a single head the entire time. The dice don't favor headshots for me, so I just can't justify building around a headshot weapon.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I gave the gauss an honest try guys; ran 7 missions with it on a Called Shot Master. Didn't ding a single head the entire time. The dice don't favor headshots for me, so I just can't justify building around a headshot weapon.

You use it because its heat to stab damage ratio is absurd. I don't think I've ever used it to fish for headshots. 2xAC20 mechs are what I use for that. The gauss goes onto a LRM boat, as my LRM pilots all have split fire.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah - breaching shot, split fire, and some big guns is an excellent combo. Gauss can be one of these.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

The Gauss is one of the best weapons in the game. It has the second-highest direct damage (the fact that it can headhunt is just gravy), massive stability damage, excellent range, and does all of this for negligible heat buildup.

If you have a mech that is already carrying enough weapons to have maxed out it feasible heat load (something every assault is capable of doing), the Gauss Rifle is much lighter than trying to slot in something like another PPC + the 13 heat sinks needed to manage it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Voyager I posted:

The Gauss is one of the best weapons in the game. It has the second-highest direct damage (the fact that it can headhunt is just gravy), massive stability damage, excellent range, and does all of this for negligible heat buildup.

If you have a mech that is already carrying enough weapons to have maxed out it feasible heat load (something every assault is capable of doing), the Gauss Rifle is much lighter than trying to slot in something like another PPC + the 13 heat sinks needed to manage it.
Yeah. Ok, so it weighs a lot. It costs you basically nothing in heat, so you can save all of that weight that you'd have spent on heat sinks somewhere else. Its a drat good gun and I would love to get a second one to mount on my King Crab.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It does 75 damage, generates no heat, accurate as gently caress

My SLDF Highlander can CT like anything because of it

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Gauss rifle is a dumb baby weapon compared to the much sexier AC20+++ and yes the range difference isn't that big of a deal since vision range is tiny and the maps are all made entirely of hills.

Also because of the above, JJs on every mech, knife fights for everyone. Though I'll admit that JJs feel less meaningful on an assault than they did on the lighter mechs, and if there was even the slightest reason to use any longer ranged weapons other than LRMs I'd probably stop using JJs on assaults for the most part.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 18, 2018

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
The easiest solution to the problem of too many enemy mechs per mission is to let the player reinforce too, or run a second lance. Let me have dekker sprint his totalled cicada out of the AO and hot drop an Atlas in. That would rule.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Zebulon posted:

Three of which are in Kurita space. Yuris, Hurik, and Victoria. Taurians have the last in New Vandenburg. It's easy to just make loops in Kurita traveling through those three systems (they're all fairly close, one on the Fed-Suns border, one on the Aurigan border, and the last is basically a staight line deeper into Kurita space from both of them) checking stores and running missions to fund the travel expenses/monthly expenses.
Kurita space isnt in the game? What in the world are you talking about?

Klyith posted:

yeah. people talk about the dumb AI stomping forward into their guns. it would be super-easy to program the AI to hold back and force the player to make those moves. it's a computer, it has infinite patience. but that would suck to play against.
In a mission I did last night I was up against 10 mechs. I had a Highlander, two LRM 40 Orions, and a Grasshopper. The Highlander has a +100 view range and the Grasshopper has a pilot with Sensor Lock. I used hills and rock outcroppings and stuff to pick away at them at range or ambush lone/weakened enemies with the Grasshopper. The AI kept huddling its mechs on those Mineral Fields that reduce incoming accuracy by 4. I wish I would have recorded it, it surprised me. I this case they could have done more damage if they had bumrushed me instead of faffing about huddling three or four mechs to a mineral field but I was pretty impressed with the AI being smart enough to do that when the player was being cagey/a pussy.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 18, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That awkward moment when you confuse the space chinese with the space japanese

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Xarbala posted:

That awkward moment when you confuse the space chinese with the space japanese
lmao I should have figured out that it was space racism.

RabidWeasel posted:

Gauss rifle is a dumb baby weapon compared to the much sexier AC20+++ and yes the range difference isn't that big of a deal since vision range is tiny and the maps are all made entirely of hills.
Look at this hot take. I still have the Gauss on my SLDF Highlander along with a PPC and a +100 View Range mod and I've ruined entire lances with it when they have never even had a chance to fire back.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The guys I murder don't get to fire back either because they all die in 1 shot :smug:

For real though the gauss rifle is good on its own merits, it's just I don't see the point in having a mech designed to operate outside of 270m given the current game and weapon balance.

If PPCs were actually good I'd totally have a PPC / gauss combo death machine.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The map design and the fog of war system do a lot to keep sniping weapons from taking over the game, to the point where the heat nerfs are kind of unnecessary.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"Do you not take bullwark/Use Brace?"

Said people who forget the AI can also learn breaching shot. So far as them getting the breaching shot pop-ups indicate.

Always a rude loving surprise when that happens... Though they are also prone to decide "I'll save one medium laser for a 3rd player mech!" tri target. Which adds to the suspense of dealing with Bshot AI mechs.

"Please be dumb. Please be dumb. Please be-*BEEP: Armor lost. Interior damage* Mother fucker"

My Dekker has lived through Braced/vigilance AC20 shots to the dome in several missions keeping him from needing to be poured out into a jello mold, so he's loving TERRIFIED of the prospect even with the low odds.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 18, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

I just had it headshot two mechs in a single mission.

One of them was another Highlander. :getin:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Phi230 posted:

It does 75 damage, generates no heat, accurate as gently caress

My SLDF Highlander can CT like anything because of it

I've never shot it under a 95 to hit.

It misses 95% of the time :negative:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

RBA Starblade posted:

I've never shot it under a 95 to hit.

It misses 95% of the time :negative:

No it doesn't.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I would have to completely change my lance composition and play style to work around an 8 shot weapon that has wasted range and "ok" damage. OR, I could continue to loving wade into a screaming, burning field of steaming metal with dual AC20s blazing and core everything on the planet I'm currently on.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

I would have to completely change my lance composition and play style to work around an 8 shot weapon that has wasted range and "ok" damage. OR, I could continue to loving wade into a screaming, burning field of steaming metal with dual AC20s blazing and core everything on the planet I'm currently on.

I mean just make the Highlander with it a Sniper mech. Gauss/PPC/1x LRM20/1xLRM10 means mine does disgusting amounts of damage from beyond the range of any AC/20, never gets targetted, knocks down literally anything and can core most mechs before they ever get in range :shrug: It supports a dedicated LRM boat and 2 close in brawlers who take the damage and use big old AC/20s and MLs.

Also how much loving ammo are you carrying for those AC 20s if the Gauss has fewer shots :psyduck: And how do you ever need that many shots.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I mount 4 tons of AC 20 ammo in my KGC along with jump jets :getin:

My Atlas subbed out the AC 20 for the Gauss and two tons of Ammo (and jets)

Watching hundred tonners jump never gets old

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Zore posted:

I mean just make the Highlander with it a Sniper mech. Gauss/PPC/1x LRM20/1xLRM10 means mine does disgusting amounts of damage from beyond the range of any AC/20, never gets targetted, knocks down literally anything and can core most mechs before they ever get in range :shrug: It supports a dedicated LRM boat and 2 close in brawlers who take the damage and use big old AC/20s and MLs.

Also how much loving ammo are you carrying for those AC 20s if the Gauss has fewer shots :psyduck: And how do you ever need that many shots.

About 3 tons, plus lasers. I rarely alpha with it, but I CAN, and if I do, something dies.

Like I said, I tried the sniper approach with 2 brawlers, and I wasn't impressed in the least. I would rather roll out my tri-ppc Awesome.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

About 3 tons, plus lasers. I rarely alpha with it, but I CAN, and if I do, something dies.

Like I said, I tried the sniper approach with 2 brawlers, and I wasn't impressed in the least. I would rather roll out my tri-ppc Awesome.

PPCs run so goddamn hot and do almost exactly half the damage of the Gauss :psyduck:

And uh, your AC/20s are carrying less shots than the Guass rifle in that case.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Zore posted:

PPCs run so goddamn hot and do almost exactly half the damage of the Gauss :psyduck:

And uh, your AC/20s are carrying less shots than the Guass rifle in that case.

Yeah you're right, 15 is 8; i specifically said I don't fire them both at once unless I need to. And 3xppcs do 150 damage plus stability, have no ammo, and my heatsink setup let's them alpha almost every turn.

It's almost like...other weapons work better for other playstyles? :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rygar201 posted:

No it doesn't.

It does but :xcom:

I've also landed exactly one called shot to the head on purpose in fifty hours, but I've gotten good at incapping through leg-breaking and ammo-exploding instead

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

NO! You're wrong! MY video game! MINE!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Yeah you're right, 15 is 8; i specifically said I don't fire them both at once unless I need to. And 3xppcs do 150 damage plus stability, have no ammo, and my heatsink setup let's them alpha almost every turn.

It's almost like...other weapons work better for other playstyles? :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

Gauss/PPC/LRM30 does 245 alpha and runs heat neutral. And does about 3x the stability damage of 3 PPCs.

Like I get it but you seem really wer8dly dismissive of one of the best weapons in the game.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Zore posted:

Gauss/PPC/LRM30 does 245 alpha and runs heat neutral. And does about 3x the stability damage of 3 PPCs.

Like I get it but you seem really wer8dly dismissive of one of the best weapons in the game.

Tried it, didn't click with me, asked advice, tried the advice, didn't like the result.

Yeah weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
I don't get why you think you can only use one or the other. PPCs and Gauss are very complimentary if anything, one is very heavy but heat neutral and the other is very hot but not too weight expensive. Put them both on a mech and you'll make it even better.

I mean it's fine if you don't like a particular playstyle like sniping but trying to pretend that PPCs in this game are better than gauss any good at all is ridiculous. AC20s are great but with their limited range and heat burden they aren't the be all end all of ballistics.