Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

clearly they should've named him marco cain instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I am 100% certain the Mark Of thing was the subject of one of the earliest major arguments in the pre BSS comic book thread. I will freely admit that I didn't get it until that discussion.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

TheHan posted:

I'm actually a little surprised nobody's done a reveal where Juggernaut and Sandman are revealed to be brothers based entirely on them having the same last names.

Didn't Byrne have a story where Sandman and Osborne were related because they have the same hair?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Esplanade posted:

Didn't Byrne have a story where Sandman and Osborne were related because they have the same hair?

Yep gently caress you chapter one

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-O posted:

Not really a big fan of Venom to be honest, outside of Flash Thompson which I still think is infinitely more interesting as Venom than Brock has ever been,

I wish Brock coulda stayed Anti-Venom.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
All I'm saying is that you can't name your kid "Otto Octavious" and NOT expect him to become an octopus-themed villain.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

El Tortuga posted:

All I'm saying is that you can't name your kid "Otto Octavious" and NOT expect him to become an octopus-themed villain.

God, I love how JJJ lampshaded that in Spider-Man 2.

Any talk of marvel naming can't be complete without mentioning good old Turner D. Century. Which he apparently chose for himself from a quick google.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yvonmukluk posted:

Any talk of marvel naming can't be complete without mentioning good old Turner D. Century. Which he apparently chose for himself from a quick google.

The saddest villain ever - he rode around on a flying bicycle built for two but because he had no friends the second seat was occupied by a mannequin in a dress and hat.

Still, what can you expect of a villain with the amazing superpower of hating young people?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The time is nigh for a new Turner D. Century who misses nu metal, jean shorts, and Kazaa.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Only if he teams up with a clone of Klaw he downloaded from Kazaa.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
How fortunate is it that the Sorcerer Supreme in his Sanctum Santorum is name Stephen Strange? Imagine if he had a more traditional doctor's name.

Sorcerer Supreme, Doctor Allan Goldstein.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Android Blues posted:

The time is nigh for a new Turner D. Century who misses nu metal, jean shorts, and Kazaa.

I spent like 20 minutes trying to think up a name pun on "Only 90 kids will remember this" the moment he came up.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Mil N. Ial

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

secret identity of owl themed villain millenni-owl

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Android Blues posted:

He'll fight Iron Man by giving his armor tons of viruses. Tony will have to fly with no helmet because his HUD is too full of popups

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think the worst or at least most pointless secret identity is Prince Adam, because a) Prince Adam and He-Man look identical anyway; b) there's no need to protect his loved ones because Skeletor wants to kill them all too; and c) why does he need to have a secret identity when Skeletor wants to kill Prince Adam anyway?

Other bad secret identity names include Werewolf-by-Night, whose real name is Jack Russell.

This actually kind of makes sense because Adam is the heir to the throne, and his father the King wouldn't want him gallivanting around as He-Man if he knew it was his son endangering himself.

It makes way less sense when She-Ra apes the formula, because there is no sitting Etherian monarchy and Princess Adora is a resistance leader in an all-out war against Hordak! She has no reason to disguise herself! In fact, knowing that your figurehead claimant to the throne was She-Ra would be great for morale!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

site posted:

Mil N. Ial
mill.n.eal

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Nessus posted:

mill.n.eal

our black eyed peas cover band is finally taking off!

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 20, 2018

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Millie O'Neil, you sexists.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Alvarez IV posted:

Sandman wasn't born a Marko, he took it as a pseudonym. He was born William Baker, but when he met his biological father in prison, he gave him a fake name as a disguise. Though I do like the idea of Spiderman or some X-Person overhearing mention of an incident involving a Marko, assuming it's the wrong one, showing up to fight him and being in for a surprise, I wonder if that's be done before.

How long has that been a thing? :psyduck:

Esplanade posted:

Hahaha this is better.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheHan posted:

Hahaha this is better.

No it isn't it was HORRIBLE

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Skwirl posted:

Aside from Jean Grey dying (again) Joss Whedon and M-Day undid almost everything from Morrison's run over a decade ago, and now there's two Jean Greys running around.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yeah, the only “irreparable damage” was the whiplash of undoing his run as fast as humanly possible.

That's exactly what I meant, well that and it paved the road for the general trend of dark and edgy events in Marvel in general

Skwirl posted:

Spider-Man has stopped the Juggernaut, but unless Iceman or one of the more powerful telekinetics (IE, someone with the last name Grey) are there, I could see the X-Men having some problems with Sandman.

There's a reason Sandman was an off and on Fantastic Four enemy for a long time(and similar ones to how Rhino occasionally got used as a Hulk enemy), many of Spider-Man's enemies fight way below their real weight class(see also Osborn having become an Avengers tier enemy from Secret Invasion onwards, Doc Ock becoming one for Ends of The Earth, and Electro occasionally reminding us that he's one of the single most powerful villains on Earth when he tries)

Android Blues posted:

This actually kind of makes sense because Adam is the heir to the throne, and his father the King wouldn't want him gallivanting around as He-Man if he knew it was his son endangering himself.

It makes way less sense when She-Ra apes the formula, because there is no sitting Etherian monarchy and Princess Adora is a resistance leader in an all-out war against Hordak! She has no reason to disguise herself! In fact, knowing that your figurehead claimant to the throne was She-Ra would be great for morale!

Probably why more recent versions of MOTU have Adora be more involved with the Evil Horde prior to becoming She-Ra, them being separate identities is so the resistance will trust She-Ra, as they wouldn't be able to trust Adora to the extent she needs

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I had a whole pitch (to give to no one ever) for a Turner D Century revamp about ten years ago, he's such a weird and great character. His second appearance involved a special phonograph that would kill anyone under 65 so that things would return to the good old days. This was his plan despite clearly being at oldest around 35 according to the story.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Powers
None

Abilities
He seems to have some knowledge of history

Strength level
He has the normal strength of a man his age, height and built who engages in moderate regular exercise.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Powers
None

Abilities
He seems to have some knowledge of history

Strength level
He has the normal strength of a man his age, height and built who engages in moderate regular exercise.

If he is to be accurate to the modern day version, he should probably have a physique more in line with someone who is diet consist of cheap beer and hot wings and exercise consists of sleeping on their side.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I first heard of Turner D. Century in the OHOMTU, when he was one of the 18 characters in the "Deceased" volume where they all had filler art depicting a panel, which never actually appeared in any comic, of Scourge shooting them with a machine gun.

I wonder how many characters in that particular massacre actually stayed dead.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's a little depressing that someone that obsessed with the year 2000 might seem only slightly less old fashioned than a guy hoping to bring back the 1900s.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
The more I think about it, the more I'm surprised that they didn't bring this character back. He really could be fascinating especially in a book like Miss Marvel or Captain Marvel or anything like that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
okay guys i need your help, not too long ago there was some panels posted where stark was talking about cell phone reception and i had complained about the contradiction between how advanced marvel earth tech should be and what it is, and someone chimed in with an avengers series where kang messes with stuff that accounts for that. i wanted to go back and take a look at that series but i forgot to write the name down

i tried looking through my post history but for some reason the search function seems to have stopped scraping posts after may 10th

nm found it

site fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 21, 2018

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

drrockso20 posted:

There's a reason Sandman was an off and on Fantastic Four enemy for a long time(and similar ones to how Rhino occasionally got used as a Hulk enemy), many of Spider-Man's enemies fight way below their real weight class(see also Osborn having become an Avengers tier enemy from Secret Invasion onwards, Doc Ock becoming one for Ends of The Earth, and Electro occasionally reminding us that he's one of the single most powerful villains on Earth when he tries)

As a kid I ALWAYS associated Sandman with Spider-Man, mostly because of the cartoon. But honestly, he’s more of a FF (or more specifically a Thing) villain. He fought Spidey twice before appearing in Strange Tales and FF for a looooooong time afterwards - first getting a purple and then a metal costume. Hell, he even turned himself in to the Thing in Two-in-One and became a good guy there. He only fought Spidey a handful of times from his first appearance to the late 80’s....

And the opposite is true of the Beetle - started out as a Human Torch and Daredevil villain before becoming a full tile Spidey villain in the late 80s

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

TheHan posted:

Sandman's real name being WIlliam Baker and not Flint Marko was revealed in Marvel Team-Up #1 when he goes to visits his mom on Christmas after a run-in with Spider-Man and Johnny Storm. The original explanation was that he used the "Flint Marko" name so his sick mom wouldn't know he was a criminal. IIRC the whole "meeting his father in prison" backstory didn't exist until PAD's run on Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Just read all of Loki: Agent of Asgard. I really enjoyed it.

Glad to see that none of it mattered and, ironically, Loki immediately went back to being the God of lies, just like his evil alternate future self warned him would happen.

For those who don't know, he went on a journey to have his past forgiven. During it, he met a future version of himself that was evil. A lot of poo poo happened and it was revealed that his future self turned evil again because, despite doing everything and having all his sins forgiven, the Asgardians never accepted him and treated him as an outcast. But, due to his future self's meddling, he faced the dilemma better and made a new path, spurred on by Odin's hint and his mortal friend's faith in him, that a lie is just a story you tell yourself and, thus, he can reinvent himself and be reborn as the God of Stories. As the God of Stories, he managed to save all of Asgard and ending Ragnarok forever by both persevering their memory so that they survived Secret Wars by preserving their story and revealing to the Gods of Gods that make the Ragnarok cycle that they are born from stories and do not truly exist. He then says he has no interest in being in Secret Wars and uses his power of God of Stories to skip right to the next chapter of his life...which ignores all of this and has him being an Agent of Asgard again and the God of lies again.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Wanderer posted:

I wonder how many characters in that particular massacre actually stayed dead.
Technically none of them, as the Hood resurrected literally all of them for a plotline in Rick Remender's Punisher. Turner didn't actually do much of anything but "get resurrected, then not really get mentioned or appear after the crowd scene" so it's possible he's still out there. Several of the other characters got re-killed by Punisher in the arc.

"All of the losers killed by Scourge are resurrected as an army" also happened in a one-off Deadpool comic in the late 1990s, which ended with Uncle Ben and Aunt May boning on a lab table because at the time they were both dead (and resurrected together) for reasons that probably boil down to "it was a Deadpool comic in the 1990s".

When The Ringer and Melter are the two most memorable Scourge victims it's hard to find real stories to bring them back for. Except for the sweet, techno-utopian, Information Superhighway loving, Candide pastiche Douglas Rushkoff/Bill Gates with Mild Brain Damage revamp of Turner D. Century. There was all the reason in the world for that.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Covok posted:

Just read all of Loki: Agent of Asgard. I really enjoyed it.

Glad to see that none of it mattered and, ironically, Loki immediately went back to being the God of lies, just like his evil alternate future self warned him would happen.

For those who don't know, he went on a journey to have his past forgiven. During it, he met a future version of himself that was evil. A lot of poo poo happened and it was revealed that his future self turned evil again because, despite doing everything and having all his sins forgiven, the Asgardians never accepted him and treated him as an outcast. But, due to his future self's meddling, he faced the dilemma better and made a new path, spurred on by Odin's hint and his mortal friend's faith in him, that a lie is just a story you tell yourself and, thus, he can reinvent himself and be reborn as the God of Stories. As the God of Stories, he managed to save all of Asgard and ending Ragnarok forever by both persevering their memory so that they survived Secret Wars by preserving their story and revealing to the Gods of Gods that make the Ragnarok cycle that they are born from stories and do not truly exist. He then says he has no interest in being in Secret Wars and uses his power of God of Stories to skip right to the next chapter of his life...which ignores all of this and has him being an Agent of Asgard again and the God of lies again.

There's a reason I don't read regularly anything Modern Marvel* besides Squirrel Girl and whatever Ewing is working on, the whole pervasive meaningless of it all is too hard to ignore these days and just makes it too depressing to read outside of isolated bits I see people post on /co/

*By which I mean the vast majority of what they've published in the main 616 continuity from about 1994 or so onward

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Android Blues posted:

Maybe she just needs to be off the clock once in a while—have a little me-time for Adora instead of being all-super all the time.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
whoever took wolverine away from taylor should be fired, drawn, and quartered but i guess im gonna be reading xmen red now

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

site posted:

whoever took wolverine away from taylor should be fired, drawn, and quartered but i guess im gonna be reading xmen red now

This is such a good panel. Just a great synthesis between the creative team and a fantastic way to start to explore Gabby's sexuality appropriately.

I can't praise X-Men Red enough. :allears:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/Da_Nerdette/status/998750283487473670

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Metalshark posted:

This is such a good panel. Just a great synthesis between the creative team and a fantastic way to start to explore Gabby's sexuality appropriately.

I can't praise X-Men Red enough. :allears:

Also a nice way to throw shade at Bendis having teenage Jean out Iceman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

You would think they would he happier to see Susie, Stretch, and the kids.

• Locked thread