Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Pick posted:

I'm not going to bother to watch the thing, but boy the new My Little Pony movie had some surprisingly good animators on staff. Some of it is really smooth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjkhprTzhts&t=29s

When they poured the thing into the bowl, they use the dialup noise as a sound effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Some of it, yes. There’s some rough-looking flash stuff going on with her face though.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Is flash still used? I thought that they moved from that.

E: the wiki says they still use Flash 8 for the show, with "a lot of proprietary components" developed in-house by Hasbro. But the movie was done by a company called Toon Boom. IDK what they use. I don't care about the content, but it's interesting how this stuff is made. Is there a successor to Flash that's used by 2d animation studios?

E2: Wikipedia says Toon Boom uses an in-house developed animator called Harmony,

quote:

Harmony has been in continuous development since 2005 and has been used on productions like The Simpsons, The Princess and the Frog, The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water, The Congress and My Little Pony: The Movie, among others.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 19, 2018

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
yeah a lot of "flash" shows are actually animated in toonboom (for example, stuff animated by Mercury Filmworks like the Mickey shorts and Wander Over Yonder), and ToonBoom is also the go to for compositing hand drawn stuff nowadays

Dr. Memory
Jul 10, 2001

Ah, fuck the end of the world.

Pick posted:

I'm not going to bother to watch the thing, but boy the new My Little Pony movie had some surprisingly good animators on staff. Some of it is really smooth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjkhprTzhts&t=29s

I was all set to quietly ignore that movie's existence until I found out Michel Gagné worked on it. Now I'm torn.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Huh! There's going to be an adaptation of To the Moon.

https://www.pcgamer.com/heartfelt-adventure-game-to-the-moon-is-becoming-a-feature-length-animated-film/,

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Dr. Memory posted:

I was all set to quietly ignore that movie's existence until I found out Michel Gagné worked on it. Now I'm torn.

The effects animation appears to be REALLY phenomenal.

Again, I haven't seen it, but the animation is pretty amazing for a movie special for a TV show. However, I seriously cannot imagine what the gently caress the plot is because apparently it has like 23948230573498753485 characters in it. How can there possibly be enough time for all these things to show up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf-ysT2vErQ

Cat man??

Pick fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 19, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Uh I think the movie came out in theaters

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Pick posted:

However, I seriously cannot imagine what the gently caress the plot is because apparently it has like 23948230573498753485 characters in it. How can there possibly be enough time for all these things to show up?

I assume that, as in The Simpsons Movie, every minor character from the show turns up for a small cameo, but no one receives much characterisation because you either already know who all these guys are or you probably wouldn't care anyway.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah the MLP movie came out in theaters.

It ruffled some feathers in the Canadian animation industry cause they brought up all these really great animators from Burbank to Vancouver to work on it, and suddenly Canadians are up against guys who have always worked for Guild shops and get sweet benefits and much better pay than anybody doing toon boom in Van is making. The US guys were pissed about getting paid less for this job but still wanted to work on the project, and the Canadians realized how underpaid they have been for their entire careers.

Now there's murmurs about starting a union in Vancouver but I dunno if that'll ever happen.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I didn't know a MLP movie development could be so intense.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I totally forgot it was even a thing. I guess I should be thankful bronies seem to have mostly disappeared.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

I watched it in a fit of pointless nostalgia. It's cute and the effects really are gorgeous and darn it if I wasn't happy to see Sea Ponies return. (Speaking of, it's also ruthlessly toyetic in a way I don't think even the 80's My Little Pony movie was. Nothing says "This character is here to be made into a toy" like introducing her as super important, having her do nothing important at all, but ooh look she has two forms, kids, buy both of them!)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I loved the old movie as a kid, let's watch the Sea Ponies from that. I still hum this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iakTl9SZTTY

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
This is the best song though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJXWNV2wGu4

And yes, the witch's daughters operate out of a boat powered by a giant bra.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Rahonavis posted:

I watched it in a fit of pointless nostalgia. It's cute and the effects really are gorgeous and darn it if I wasn't happy to see Sea Ponies return. (Speaking of, it's also ruthlessly toyetic in a way I don't think even the 80's My Little Pony movie was. Nothing says "This character is here to be made into a toy" like introducing her as super important, having her do nothing important at all, but ooh look she has two forms, kids, buy both of them!)

you can tell it's a hasbro production because even the villains are the exact sort of ugly-cute that makes for perfect toys

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Shadow Hog posted:

Double post, but about a different film, cuz I'm going back to Zootopia again.

Is there a good rebuttal against the criticism about the whole predator/prey dynamic that the film is centered around having rather unfortunate implications? Like, the criticism is specifically that there's some level of truth to the matter of predators eating prey; not in the present time, of course, that much is made explicit, but it's also explicitly stated to have definitely happened an untold number of years ago. Therefore, the film's ambitions to tackle the subject of various prejudices in human society (albeit not any specific ones) is thoroughly undermined, since the film is also stating that those prejudices had basis in truth at some point long ago, which is sort of the exact opposite thing you want to do with a subject like that, as it just justifies the bigots holding those prejudices.

Best counterarguments I can make sort of sidestep the issue without really debunking it. Pointing out that it's hardly the only prejudice in the film, such as Judy encountering "small people can't do big people jobs" or Nick encountering "all foxes are untrustworthy sleazes, full-stop", doesn't really address the accusation at all (because the predator/prey angle is still a pretty heavy focus right from the opening scene). Pointing out that the film does go out of its way to state that things have long since changed just ignores that it also states it had basis in truth in the first place (again, right in the opening scene), which is the entire crux of the argument. Pointing out the film was a lot worse about it in the shock-collar script doesn't really help matters either. I can't shake the feeling that it is, bluntly, a true criticism, and that the core allegory really is flawed in that way.

I'm still not that bothered by it myself (though as a white cisgendered heterosexual male, I'd be unaffected by most prejudices in American society applicable to the allegory anyway), but a friend of mine absolutely hates the film for this, and I don't know that I can convince him to overlook it.

I think the issue with Zootopia is how it tries to portray its themes. I liked this guy's breakdown on how Zootopia failed at its messaging compared to Fantastic Mr Fox (which you should just have your friend watch instead)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii7q2IZXM2Q

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Desperate Character posted:

I think the issue with Zootopia is how it tries to portray its themes. I liked this guy's breakdown on how Zootopia failed at its messaging compared to Fantastic Mr Fox (which you should just have your friend watch instead)

Galaxy Brain: Watch a double feature of Fantastic Mr. Fox and Zootopia

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Fantastic Mr Fox just says be an rear end in a top hat to everyone, especially women. Like many adult-oriented animation films, it gets a huge boost from people who are tired of animation being "for kids" and look at anything outside that mold with incredibly rosy glasses.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
extension: Fantastic Mr. Fox says that property is theft, and it's totally cool and good for the subterranean, homeless other to steal their daily bread not merely to subsist, but to prosper.

The rat was never a bad animal. He was just a victim of incredible want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp1_PuUoSaM

"Like melted gold."

What a great movie.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Unpopular opinion: The Fantastic Mr Fox is too hard to look at for me to watch it

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No, no. Same.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

There's just something about those drat mouths that makes it a hard movie to watch.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

There's also something just... I dunno very deliberately constructed and affected about Wes Andersen's films that I just can't get over.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i think he should do one with shadow puppets

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Macaluso posted:

Unpopular opinion: The Fantastic Mr Fox is too hard to look at for me to watch it

they're extremely bad, extremely dead taxidermied animals twitching around in a grisly parody of life and anyone attempting to interpret the movie without acknowledging this is a hack

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Fig A:

Fig B:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Jan Svankmajer did it better

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i ended up checking out the mlp movie for the hell of it, and it's a pretty straightforward extension of what i remember from the show: Naive Idealists encounter Cynical Pessismist(s), the former convince the latter to be less...that, credits roll. It's nice

mostly the part which stood out was that the big Buy Our Toys musical number was going exactly according to plan when twilight breaks ranks off-screen and does the Cynical Pessismist thing instead, ruining everything, which then segues into emily blunt's character telling her how great Cynical Pessismism is. also her character is great because she's exactly the sort of Edgy Brooding Antagonist that define(s)(d) the whole brony idea, except her real name is fizzlepop berrytwist

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/thelegomovie/status/998579165832953858?s=21

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
YESSSSSSSS

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Hell yes. The first was unironically a great film.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Are Phil Lord and Chris Miller working on the second one? I can't get excited about it until I know that first

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Not Lord and Miller, so I'm curious as to how it's going to turn out. The directors' resumes on IMDb are a little all over the place, with one of them giving us both Trolls and Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo.

Of course, Lego Batman wasn't Lord/Miller either, and turned out excellent. (Then again, so was Lego Ninjago, which I heard was just kinda "eh".)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Shadow Hog posted:

Not Lord and Miller, so I'm curious as to how it's going to turn out.

Oh :(

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Lord and Miller are doing script work for it last I heard, though.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Yeah, IMDb corroborates what you heard; both did the screenplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Oh :)