Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Yakuza 0 is the first PS4 game that I've beaten and I'm surprised that you only get a silver trophy for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's completely inconsistent and up to the developers, some give you most for just finishing the story, some give you maybe a single bronze if you just play through normally *cough*thelastofus*cough*

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

exquisite tea posted:

The last two games I got all the achievements for were Horizon Zero Dawn and Hellblade, both of which are extremely easy to 100%. I also support all games that straight up just let you buy the trophies with endgame currency.

What games do that other than Nier Automata?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Housh posted:

I'm trying to finish GoW before Detroit comes out. I'm at the second encounter with the Frost Ancient and it seems impossible. I'm even using the technique of hiding behind a pillar but I just can't get clean shots on it. The game was fair on normal difficulty thus far. What gives?

Remember that you can hold L1 to block and it doesn't punish you as much as, say, a Platinum or Souls game would for just blocking everything. I am like 20 hours into the game and still keep forgetting to block. Mainly because I have the witch time talisman and I am addicted

You can also just parry the shots with the skill unlocked

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Meldonox posted:

Hell, make a point of not doing platinums. In Monster Hunter World I never cooked a well-done steak because I knew I would probably get the other trophies organically.

They make you cook a well-done steak? gently caress, that is even worse than I thought.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

haveblue posted:

IDK but it’s a good idea.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Manatee Cannon posted:

they pick from the movies, not the rides. there's no space mountain world either

the haunted mansion movie sucked so it follows that there wouldn't be a world for it in kingdom hearts

The rides appear to be summons in KH3.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Guillermus posted:

I'm being honest, I only have DR2 Off the Record on PC and played mostly with a goon like three hours. Is DR1 any good?

I got it in the $1 tier HB had a while back and it's aimed at a very specific audience, I think if you didn't enjoy 2 you probably won't enjoy it either

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

exquisite tea posted:

The last two games I got all the achievements for were Horizon Zero Dawn and Hellblade, both of which are extremely easy to 100%. I also support all games that straight up just let you buy the trophies with endgame currency.

Horizons the last one I did, which was like I always (rarely) do with plats. Which is see that I'm 3 away and do them.

The break all the training dummies one sucked terribly and was dumb look up a guide busywork.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Samuringa posted:

I got it in the $1 tier HB had a while back and it's aimed at a very specific audience, I think if you didn't enjoy 2 you probably won't enjoy it either

I did like the bit I played of DR2 OTR, but after not being able to co-op with that goon, I never bothered playing more.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

DR1 is rougher around the edges but also there’s a benefit to the simplicity behind the mechanics and game. DR2 did a lot of things better but also expanded on poo poo (not always in the best of ways). Don’t bother with the trophies for DR1 unless you REALLY love the game, herding survivors in a specific way non-stop through an entire playthough is incredibly annoying and you basically need to follow a guide from start to finish.

Playing the game blind and going through the cases as you try to rescue as many people as you can (or want) if way more fun.

Not to mention DR1 has the convicts.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLL HE AINT MY BOY BUT THE BROTHER IS HEAVY

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, the way the music and sound effects ramp up from mostly silent to almost deafening during the final stretch of a boss fight is absolutely wild.

BB and DS3 do this so so well. God I love it.

Headphone up and crank that poo poo.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Remember that you can hold L1 to block and it doesn't punish you as much as, say, a Platinum or Souls game would for just blocking everything. I am like 20 hours into the game and still keep forgetting to block. Mainly because I have the witch time talisman and I am addicted

You can also just parry the shots with the skill unlocked

Whats the witch time called i missed it in my playthru

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Real hurthling! posted:

Whats the witch time called i missed it in my playthru

"Realm Shift" or something like that. Blue talisman.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
I'm about to platinum HZD, and I think it's about the right level for a platinum. You do everything the game has to offer, but you don't have to play through it on the hardest difficulty or multiple times, and you don't have to spend dozens of hours grinding, and you don't have to do the multiplayer so your ability to get trophies depends on other people.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

I'm about to platinum HZD, and I think it's about the right level for a platinum. You do everything the game has to offer, but you don't have to play through it on the hardest difficulty or multiple times, and you don't have to spend dozens of hours grinding, and you don't have to do the multiplayer so your ability to get trophies depends on other people.

I played the poo poo out of Tomb Raider 2013 and would have happily platinum'd it if not for the lovely tacked on multiplayer trophies. I even played a few rounds and it was just... Bad.

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

Goblin deez nuts amirite ladies?
I just got the Yakuza 6 platinum, it wasn't as hard to get as previous Yaks but you do have to play the bad clan creator minigame 100 times. I don't usually go for plays unless I'm like 90% of the way there anyway.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DrNutt posted:

I played the poo poo out of Tomb Raider 2013 and would have happily platinum'd it if not for the lovely tacked on multiplayer trophies. I even played a few rounds and it was just... Bad.

I started playing this again today and yeah, going down the trophy list 'this all seems reasonable, oh multiplayer no longer care'

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I plat the occasional game because it makes me feel . . .

Only registered members can see post attachments!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This gave me ptsd

Mostly because I platinumed dr1 on the 360 years and years ago

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

haveblue posted:

I didn’t see an option for that, but I didn’t look very close.

Edit: Just checked and I have 45 platinum trophies. I have played my fair share of Telltale and Zero Escape games, but since I was a kid I would try to do everything (within reason) in a game if I really liked it. A lot of games (Bloodborne, Horizon, FF XV, The Witness, Gravity Rush, et al.) give you a platinum just for completing the game without doing any crazy grinding.

There are some games I really liked but would never try to get all their trophies. Seeing all 26 endings and upgrading all weapons in Nier Automata seemed like a waste of time, just like completing all locations in AC: Origins or getting 50 headshot kills with the crossbow in Witcher 3.

the truth fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 20, 2018

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

beep by grandpa posted:

This gave me ptsd

Mostly because I platinumed dr1 on the 360 years and years ago

I thought it was a bold choice to make getting all the fun unlockables such a tedious grind that you didnt actually want to play the game anymore by the time you were finished

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I'd have to say that FF6 is my favorite Final Fantasy and I'm a bit sad that they've never managed to top it. The characters are all very memorable, the dungeons and bosses are great, some of the secret areas are actually difficult to find and give great rewards, and Kefka is a villain who got me to hate him like I've never hated any other video game villain before or since. The only other villain who's even come close is Luca Blight from Suikoden 2.

But the best thing about FF6 is the setting. The cyberpunk atmosphere is unique and more creative than any other FF setting. But what makes it truly awesome is the fact that it's so relentlessly depressing unlike any other game. The world starts as a totalitarian dystopia and then halfway through becomes a post-apocalyptic dystopia. At no point is there anything approaching happiness. The PCs and NPCs spend the entire game in a state of depression which worsens as the game goes on.

I really wish they'd create another FF that's similarly amazing.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
FFVI might be my favorite game ever and while I'm kinda sad they never followed up on it all the sequel stuff they did for FFVII and FFIV is so bad that it might be a blessing in disguise.

I still would've loved a remake in the vein of FFIV DS though, terrible voice acted cutscenes and all.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

I’m finally playing Rise of the Tomb Raider, and holy poo poo I can’t believe how bad the writing is. The bad guys are straight out of a direct to video 90s action movie, without any of the fun.

Between the lousy characters and lack of narrative momentum, I don’t think I’ll be able to finish it. The bow is still fun and I like the tombs, but they really beefed it on this one. And I really liked TR 2013.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Confession: I never finished FF6. Made it all the way to Kefka's tower many many years ago and then stopped for some reason (might've been underleveled and didn't feel like grinding). Pretty sure I have the game on at least three platforms too and I just never get around to committing to it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Big Bidness posted:

I’m finally playing Rise of the Tomb Raider, and holy poo poo I can’t believe how bad the writing is. The bad guys are straight out of a direct to video 90s action movie, without any of the fun.

Between the lousy characters and lack of narrative momentum, I don’t think I’ll be able to finish it. The bow is still fun and I like the tombs, but they really beefed it on this one. And I really liked TR 2013.

Is the gameplay better than the first one?

Can you not skip the cutscenes? I like the story in HZD but I can't stand the talking heads presentation of 90% of the dialogue so I'm skipping almost every cutscene as it cuts into my shooting robot tigers time

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Is the gameplay better than the first one?

Can you not skip the cutscenes? I like the story in HZD but I can't stand the talking heads presentation of 90% of the dialogue so I'm skipping almost every cutscene as it cuts into my shooting robot tigers time

the gameplay isn't really any different from the first, in an appreciable way, anyway, so if you liked 2013, you'll like Rise in that respect.

I enjoyed Rise as I was playing, but any time I thought about the story, I was mostly disappointed

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I bought Agents of Mayhem on the deep discount this weekend.

It’s ... actually pretty fun? I like it more than SRIV, though the fact that the entire map isn’t in perpetual night helps a lot with that.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

morallyobjected posted:

the gameplay isn't really any different from the first, in an appreciable way, anyway, so if you liked 2013, you'll like Rise in that respect.

I enjoyed Rise as I was playing, but any time I thought about the story, I was mostly disappointed

It was weird because after the first one I just wanted more of the same.

And they gave me more of the same. And I couldn't 'meh' hard enough at it.

Now they are at layer 3 of the same and I looked around but had no fucks to give.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

DR1 is rougher around the edges but also there’s a benefit to the simplicity behind the mechanics and game. DR2 did a lot of things better but also expanded on poo poo (not always in the best of ways). Don’t bother with the trophies for DR1 unless you REALLY love the game, herding survivors in a specific way non-stop through an entire playthough is incredibly annoying and you basically need to follow a guide from start to finish.

Playing the game blind and going through the cases as you try to rescue as many people as you can (or want) if way more fun.

Finally, a reason to (re?) post this!

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

It's completely inconsistent and up to the developers, some give you most for just finishing the story, some give you maybe a single bronze if you just play through normally *cough*thelastofus*cough*

Yea NaughtyDog tends to have fairly annoying trophies in general. Uncharted had a bunch of these bronze trophies like "kill 5 enemies with one grenade while standing on your head" and I couldn't be bothered.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Noctone posted:

Confession: I never finished FF6. Made it all the way to Kefka's tower many many years ago and then stopped for some reason (might've been underleveled and didn't feel like grinding). Pretty sure I have the game on at least three platforms too and I just never get around to committing to it.

I frequently get to the last dungeon of jRPGs and stop playing, I get you.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

It was weird because after the first one I just wanted more of the same.

And they gave me more of the same. And I couldn't 'meh' hard enough at it.

Now they are at layer 3 of the same and I looked around but had no fucks to give.

I got Rise for like $15 on sale. I can't imagine paying full price for it, nor for Shadow, based on the writing from Rise.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I said come in! posted:

No one is going to notice your platinum. It will just bring back memories of how your parents never noticed you either.

I had never received a platinum trophy before until I got one in AC Origins and when it popped up this guy at work who's a real trophy hound messaged me through the PS app to congratulate me.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yakuza 6 was my first platinum because I enjoyed it and it also didn't have anything too ridiculous in the requirements.

Then I got Nier Automata platinum because trophy shop.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

DR2: Off the Record replaced the original credits song with the Ballad of Frank West, also by Lifeseeker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G_1Tv1vVA4

"Isabella's on his mind but he's got no time to wank. His name's Frank."

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Also, if anyone is looking for easy plats, maybe for the Sony Rewards or whatever, the Telltale games are all pretty much just for completing the games. Walking Dead 400 days and Wolf Among Us have a couple of optional ones, but none of the other games do.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I’ve never tried to plat a game and I never will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Also, if anyone is looking for easy plats, maybe for the Sony Rewards or whatever, the Telltale games are all pretty much just for completing the games. Walking Dead 400 days and Wolf Among Us have a couple of optional ones, but none of the other games do.

Infamous was a straight forward plat