Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

i just started playing again, do these 24 hour maintenances typically take the full 24 hours or do they come up early sometimes (like wow maintenance usually does)?

It's inevitable that someone is just starting out right before a major patch hits. I did the same thing - started playing on a Saturday, and then 2.3 dropped the following Monday. At least I had the weekend! :v:

There is a chance they will finish this maintenance early, and if they do, there'll be an announcement on the Lodestone. Like others have mentioned, if housing is involved, they will wait until the end of the posted maintenance window to keep it fair for everyone trying to rush in and buy property. This is not one of those patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I hope not having a Level 60 Gatherer yet won't screw me too much on the Namazu quests. :smith:

I have Culinarian at 64, at least.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

I think they generally also don't end a maintenance early if it introduces anything that gets reset on the weekly lockout, like a new tomestone.

Has an actual major version patch maint ever ended early?

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Klades posted:

Has an actual major version patch maint ever ended early?

I think 4.1 or 4.2 ended, like, an hour early? Not worth writing home about, and it won’t end before the weekly reset in any case.

Also I’m running out of jobs to level. SAM 69 (nice), then WAR and MNK sitting at 30, then I’m free from my completionism until I get serious about crafting!

SAM looks cool by the way. It might even be viable soon?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I, for one, am excited to have my crafters at level 70 a full year after the expansion came out. :thumbsup:

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

I think 4.1 or 4.2 ended, like, an hour early? Not worth writing home about, and it won’t end before the weekly reset in any case.

Also I’m running out of jobs to level. SAM 69 (nice), then WAR and MNK sitting at 30, then I’m free from my completionism until I get serious about crafting!

It’s always been viable

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

It was already viable and the changes don't really make it any more or less viable.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

SAM is the most fun melee dps and that's all that really matters.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

quote:

Players can now speak with Kurenai to complete custom deliveries.

By completing these custom deliveries, players can receive gil, experience points, red and yellow crafters' scrips, or red and yellow gatherers' scrips.
* A total of 12 custom deliveries can be made per week, but only 6 to a single client.

Players can gain the ability to cast glamours on Kurenai by raising her satisfaction level to the maximum.
* The player must have glamours unlocked to acquire this ability.
* Glamour prisms are required as catalysts for the glamouring process.
* Items used to cast glamours will be bound to you, and can no longer be traded or sold on the market.

After stories about sad orphans and stories about sad widows, we get stories about underwater dragon people and also you can dress up the dragon girl.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

WrightOfWay posted:

SAM is the most fun melee dps and that's all that really matters.

It's me, the dude who hates melee DPS in every other MMO but enjoys SAM.

Although I keep going back to RDM because Vercure means I'm never at any risk of dying to anything that doesn't one-shot me, regardless of how much of an idiot I play like. Also, the level 54 SAM quest on the boat traumatized me a little bit.

And because Verthunder is an intensely satisfying spell for being rotational.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
SAM is perfectly viable, pubbies are just massive babies about it. Watch the potency changes make top end guilds slightly prefer SAM for prog come 4.4 and suddenly someone else will be considered "non-viable".

Also there is a chance the game will be up at 1AM Pacific because that's when weekly reset is. Not a chance it'll be up before then because they don't want people to miss the servers coming up early and then "miss" a chance at final tomes before the reset.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

It might even be viable soon?

It always has been, and the upcoming buffs will increase your dps by about 2%.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

SpaceDrake posted:

SAM is perfectly viable, pubbies are just massive babies about it. Watch the potency changes make top end guilds slightly prefer SAM for prog come 4.4 and suddenly someone else will be considered "non-viable".
It's already happened. I've seen plenty of people complaining about how now Samurai is ever-so-slightly better than Black Mage, and so now that is a dead gay class for losers. Which is just patently untrue, because Explodomancer is the coolest job in the game.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

SAM is super cool and fun and good. More people should play SAM so that my FF logs %s get better.

I cleared O8S as a SAM and our party also had a MNK and BLM. Meta is just dumb poo poo nerds like to obsess over. Every job is fine

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Cabbit posted:

And because Verthunder is an intensely satisfying spell for being rotational.

It's a very satisfying BOOM.

That 54 SAM quest is great though because your trainer mocks the idle pose used by the enemy samurai (and also all male PC samurai).

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
SAM is great fun, haven't enjoyed a melee DPS as much as I have that one in forever. RDM is great, and amazingly useful in group content.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Thundarr posted:

It's a very satisfying BOOM.

That 54 SAM quest is great though because your trainer mocks the idle pose used by the enemy samurai (and also all male PC samurai).

I really prefer the RDM thunder spell because it acts more like what you'd think it'd be like shooting a bolt of lightning from your fingers rather than just shooting plasma globes out of slingshots like BLM does.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
where do you go to learn about rotations and things for this game? I want to get a feel for how complex combat is towards the middle and end game.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Impermanent posted:

where do you go to learn about rotations and things for this game? I want to get a feel for how complex combat is towards the middle and end game.
I just search for "[Class] rotation" and you'll usually find a guide somewhere.
The Balance is a good discord for asking rotation questions if you can manage dealing with gross angry pubbies.

Sade posted:

It always has been, and the upcoming buffs will increase your dps by about 2%.
I wonder if the devs have some kind of internal tool for measuring this sort of thing?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Impermanent posted:

The Balance discord has nerds doing math to find the best rotations, just look under the pinned posts in the job specific channels.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

oh no blimp issue posted:

I wonder if the devs have some kind of internal tool for measuring this sort of thing?

It'd be almost impossible for them to even pretend to make class changes without tools like that. It'd be more interesting to know what criteria they are using when deciding what result to shoot for.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Thundarr posted:

It'd be almost impossible for them to even pretend to make class changes without tools like that. It'd be more interesting to know what criteria they are using when deciding what result to shoot for.

I wouldn't be surprised you know
With a tool surely they could plug in "This is the DPS we want every job to match and this is the rotation" and then all classes would be exactly the same DPS wise?
Baring any surprises about how people play the classes, like apparently stance dancing for healers was.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Isn't there at least one known instance (Was it Ninja?) where the player-developed rotation differed enough in damage from the intended dev-developed rotation that they had to adjust its damage after the fact?

Now that I think about it, this is probably why they don't develop/release jobs mid-expansion anymore. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Isn't there at least one known instance (Was it Ninja?) where the player-developed rotation differed enough in damage from the intended dev-developed rotation that they had to adjust its damage after the fact?

Now that I think about it, this is probably why they don't develop/release jobs mid-expansion anymore. :v:

This happened with SB ninja though

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Yeah, the devs didn't realize that Fuma-Katon-Doton was higher potency than Fuma-Raiton-Suiton for TCJ so they nerfed Gale Slash to compensate.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Most of the SAM butthurt I've seen have been from MNK's who were like 'wah wah SAM's takin' our derps spot' and a few raid leader's who were like 'ugh, this class doesn't bring anything to the table because war/nin has the slashing debuff covered twice over.'

I've been having fun with it in SB so far, enough to make it my secondary main. I can understand the appeal of the maximum Flare% BLM but I keep messing up the rotation via slight mistakes.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Does anyone have a guide to gardening? I'm curious, but I have no earthly idea where to begin.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

no earthly idea
nice

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Does anyone have a guide to gardening? I'm curious, but I have no earthly idea where to begin.

http://www.ffxivgardening.com/guide-to-gardening.php

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

Main site is here: http://www.ffxivgardening.com/

I assume you have at least a cottage, so you can get 8-plant garden plot (you can have 2 with a house and 3 with a mansion). The basic aim is to cross-breed seeds to get rare seeds and then cross-breed those to get even rarer seeds.

When you plant something, it will determine what to cross with based on the plant in the plots next to it. So, when you harvest, you'll get the plant itself (usually not worth that much) and a chance at getting some seeds in the same harvest. If you use Grade 3 Thanalan topsoil you have a much greater chance of interbreeding than using other soils. This is obtained from an unspoiled node in Western Thanalan. Once you've harvested it once on your own, a level 50 botany retainer can get you 1 every 60 minutes. You can also exchange unidentified items in Idyllshire for Grade 3 soils.

Ideally, you start in the top-left corner and plant alternating seeds clockwise. Note that the very first seed you plant will not have a chance to give you seeds at harvest since it wasn't next to anything. To maximize seed chances, you need to uproot your first plant after planting your 8th, and then plant the same seeds again.

Seeds can take anywhere from 1 day to 10 days to grow. You need to "tend" your plants at least once a day or else they'll start to wilt. If they stay wilted, they'll die. You can also speed up the growing process using fertilizer once an hour, which reduces the growing time by an hour. Personally, I don't find fertilizer to be all that useful, but I am more of a "set it and forget it" kind of gardener and I usually just stick to tending the plants once a day.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

And how does one get the actual plots for growing?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Lizard Wizard posted:

And how does one get the actual plots for growing?

Housing vendor.

Also: Grade 1 La Noscea soil is useful as 'junk' soil for stuff you're going to uproot for crossing. All of the really valuable stuff you can get from gardening either doesn't care about being HQ (minion/furniture mats) and hence you'll want more of them per harvest, or outright can't be HQ (Thav Onions.)

Additionally most deluxe seeds that only produce 1 of an item (Thav Onions, Blood Peppers, etc.) outright ignore the yield bonus from Shroud soil.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

Housing vendor.

Also: Grade 1 La Noscea soil is useful as 'junk' soil for stuff you're going to uproot for crossing.

For this, you can just use vendor-bought potting soil.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I keep forgetting they added that in.

Still haven't run out of the stacks that I bought just for that purpose before they added potting soil :shepicide:

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Leofish posted:

After stories about sad orphans and stories about sad widows, we get stories about underwater dragon people and also you can dress up the dragon girl.

It'd be nice if the system in place for custom deliveries was also used for unlocking alternative companions to swap in place of your chocobo so that people could actually see your Kurenai glamours(and your squadron would be applicable too.) But then amount of people who would be running around with a teenage mi'qote makes me say that's a terrible idea.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Unless you're about that World First 1% Ultra Pentamelds all-day errday No Life Raider life, every class is viable.

And for some reason, completely unrelated, I'm reminded of a recent reddit post that demanded that BRD/MCH/NIN/DRG/SCH/AST/PLD all needed nerfs or else the game is going to die due to its imbalance. What said nerfs would be, I'm still not quite sure.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I went and looked up the gulf between the highest and lowest DPS for Omega on FFLogs, and it's like a ~10% difference. That is actually way less than I expected, for as much of a fuss as gets made over it.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
...if a marginally successful group loses 10% dps from their composition, they're now missing enrage by a full minute

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Reiterpallasch posted:

...if a marginally successful group loses 10% dps from their composition, they're now missing enrage by a full minute

Is it even possible to drop 10% damage over a full composition? Sure you might go 9% down switching from BLM to RDM but over 8 players that's a 1.2% difference. (More if you take in account that DPS are doing more than tanks/healers but I don't want to do extensive napkin math right now.)

Looking at 75th percentile rankings on FFLogs for Omega. You go from SCH/WHM to WHM/AST, which is a personal dps loss of 21%, but significantly made up with via card buffs (and then also mitigated by the loss of Chain Strategem and potentially a fairy buff).

Going from WAR/PLD to PLD/DRK is a 9% drop and no Slashing debuff, but that'll get improved a bit with the DRK buffs in this patch, and most parties will have access to Slashing from SAM/NIN.

Going from BLM/SMN/SAM/MNK to BRD/RDM/NIN/DRG is a 7% raw DPS loss that's then made up via Trick Attack, Piercing Debuff, Battle Litany, Dragon Sight, Embolden, Crit Song, Battle Voice... (and mitigated by losing Enkindle Devotion / Brotherhood)

^^ All this is really quick and sloppy math. I don't think it's actually possible to drop 10% damage assuming everyone is playing reasonably competently.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

A better comparison might be to take the minmaxed meta (DRG/BRD/MCH/SMN, is that right?) and compare it to something like RDM/BLM/SAM/MNK or something similar that doesn't have synergy, but I think even then the raw damage might be sufficient to overcome the loss of the synergies to bring it above that 10% threshold.