Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's exactly how Alpha Protocol worked.

I love that the system is basically just choosing three different flavors of being an rear end in a top hat. No matter what choices you pick, you at the end of the day know that Thorton is a manipulative dick. Thorton can be a lot of things, but you still get like, some sort of sense of him as a person that most other conversational systems just lack.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Snooze Cruise posted:

I love that the system is basically just choosing three different flavors of being an rear end in a top hat. No matter what choices you pick, you at the end of the day Thorton is a manipulative dick. Thorton can be a lot of things, but you still get like, some sort of sense of him as a person that most other conversational systems just lack.

Yeah. 'Which James Bond do you want to be, Connery, Moore or Brosnan?'

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm not that big on ap but, yeah, its way of balancing the system works a lot better mechanically and narratively

but the real dilemma is did you [Glass him]

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Coming off Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny is really tough, combat-wise. I honestly don't know if I should be crafting spells 24/7 or relying on skill tree stuff most of the time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Colonel posted:

i'm not that big on ap but, yeah, its way of balancing the system works a lot better mechanically and narratively

but the real dilemma is did you [Glass him]

I spiked the Russian mob boss' coke if that's any help.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Crowetron posted:

Coming off Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny is really tough, combat-wise. I honestly don't know if I should be crafting spells 24/7 or relying on skill tree stuff most of the time.

craft spells 24/7

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Crowetron posted:

buying all the sigils that you find, pumping that lore skill as high as it can go on all characters, and creating ridiculous spells is how you break the gane

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Andrast posted:

craft spells 24/7

babypolis posted:

buying all the sigils that you find, pumping that lore skill as high as it can go on all characters, and creating ridiculous spells is how you break the gane

So I should mostly use the skill tree for passives and treat the spell system like it's an Elder Scrolls game? Okay!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Crowetron posted:

So I should mostly use the skill tree for passives and treat the spell system like it's an Elder Scrolls game? Okay!

Absolutely. Everyone has Lore for a reason.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Crafted spells are comically good in Tyranny.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

how is tyranny for non-mages? I'm thinking something rogue-ish for my player char, so knives, spears or bows.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Evil Fluffy posted:

IIRC, that discrepancy is a result of how long DA:O was in development. Like, the bland textures you see in some areas are from when they started working on the game and were good/ok for that time (2002-3 I think?) but by the time the game was finished they were terribly obsolete since they never went back and replaced them with something better.

Some real early DA (assuming these are real, can't find official confirmation, they're allegedly from 2004's E3):

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

double nine posted:

how is tyranny for non-mages? I'm thinking something rogue-ish for my player char, so knives, spears or bows.

Equip a few spells anyway. There's little to no reason not to be a hybrid in Tyranny--magic is great even on a melee character.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's exactly how Alpha Protocol worked.

I should probably actually play Alpha Protocol sometime.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Are there any further enhancements in Valkyria Chronicles Remastered that aren't in the PC version or was that just a way to get the PC port to current consoles?

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I have made a huge mistake in Bravely Second. I thought the Sin Beasts were going to be late game optional bosses a la Omega Weapon and I way over grinded for them and I've killed three now and none of them have ever gotten an attack off.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sadly, Bravely Second has a severe dearth in the superbosses department, unlike Default.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Terper posted:

Sadly, Bravely Second has a severe dearth in the superbosses department, unlike Default.

My two melee characters do around 100k damage a turn, I suspect nothing that can be attacked is going to stand up to that :(

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I haven't played the game, but on a general level I don't really see why one would grind before even trying to see if they can beat something first.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

FanaticalMilk posted:

Are there any further enhancements in Valkyria Chronicles Remastered that aren't in the PC version or was that just a way to get the PC port to current consoles?

It's the latter.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

CubeTheory posted:

I have made a huge mistake in Bravely Second. I thought the Sin Beasts were going to be late game optional bosses a la Omega Weapon and I way over grinded for them and I've killed three now and none of them have ever gotten an attack off.

The late game super bosses are all post-game but like also

Kanfy posted:

I don't really see why one would grind before even trying to see if they can beat something first.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

It's the latter.

Thanks. I'm playing through the PC version and wanted to make sure there wasn't some further enhanced version I should be playing instead.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
I'm finding the gameplay of the original shadow hearts real tough to get through. Is it worth reading an lp of the first game in order to skip to Covenant, or would it just be more of the same gameplay wise?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Covenant is a much better game with a very different tone and doesn't really require you to have played SH1(the plot allusions to SH1 are largely explained), so I'd probably just skip to that.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Kanos posted:

Covenant is a much better game with a very different tone and doesn't really require you to have played SH1(the plot allusions to SH1 are largely explained), so I'd probably just skip to that.

just because sh2 explains what happened in sh1 doesn't mean its plot isn't pretty deeply tied into yuri's arc as a character in ways that won't have nearly as much impact if you skip all of it

sh1 is only like 20 hours, anyway. watch an lp if you don't wanna play it but sh2 won't be nearly as effective without the context of the first game

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
im thinking i would rather just play a good game than play a 20 hour game i dont like so that the good game is slightly more good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Charlie Bobson posted:

im thinking i would rather just play a good game than play a 20 hour game i dont like so that the good game is slightly more good

i mean. you asked if you should just watch an lp, and i think, that would be a better idea, than skipping the entire game

like i wouldn't recommend forcing through all of koudelka just to understand the one random cameo she gets in shadow hearts 1 but the impact of shadow hearts 2's plot is pretty deeply tied into the events of the first game in a way that i don't think it's necessarily a good idea to jump straight into it without having at least seen what happens in the first game

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 24, 2018

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
The first hour of covenant is currently making 1 sound extremely bad rear end so I'm feeling encouraged to go back.

is there any way to bust 1 open and breeze through it/does the combat get any more interesting past shanghai?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

The Colonel posted:

i mean. you asked if you should just watch an lp, and i think, that would be a better idea, than skipping the entire game

like i wouldn't recommend forcing through all of koudelka just to understand the one random cameo she gets in shadow hearts 1 but the impact of shadow hearts 2's plot is pretty deeply tied into the events of the first game in a way that i don't think it's necessarily a good idea to jump straight into it without having at least seen what happens in the first game

I dunno, I retroactively watched an LP of SH1 after finishing Covenant because I enjoyed Covenant so much as my first SH game and I didn't really think "wow, that would have made x so much better at the time" at any point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yuris entire character is based in sh1, without it you have zero context for his emotional arc.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Arcanum is such a waste of premise, waste of a solid design document, and waste of some neat RPG ideas. But the game as a whole stinks.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 24, 2018

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Arcanum is such a waste of premise, waste of a solid design document, and waste of some neat RPG ideas. But the game as a whole stinks.

Did you play tech? because the first time I played it was tech and even with the patch it was miserable experience, constantly scrounging resources just to afford bullets and being a useless piece of poo poo in general. I hit my breaking point when I reached some golems who were immune to all my weapons and broke all my poo poo

Then I played a mage and just rolled over everything and it was fun

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

babypolis posted:

Did you play tech? because the first time I played it was tech and even with the patch it was miserable experience, constantly scrounging resources just to afford bullets and being a useless piece of poo poo in general. I hit my breaking point when I reached some golems who were immune to all my weapons and broke all my poo poo

lol guess i'm gonna be a punch mage whenever i actually get to playing that

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Arcanum mage, with such balanced spells as 'just kill that guy outright'.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Spend weeks trudging across the continent, or have a mage teleport you to your destination instantly.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
okay I'm at the end of the game now and I don't understand why Sveta, Eoleo, and Amiti weren't the protagonists of Dark Dawn given how much more actually relevant they are to what's going on in the story

also if you're going to put a blacksmith in your game and require the player to leave the town and come back to get their new item, don't put the blacksmith as far back in the town as you can

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Finished Bravely Second. I feel like there were a lot of gimmicks in the back half the devs put in to make you think they were clever, and some of them worked and some of them didn't. On the whole I had fun with it.

CubeTheory fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 24, 2018

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Stelas posted:

Arcanum mage, with such balanced spells as 'just kill that guy outright'.

also a really balanced turn based and real time system where you can cast spells as fast as you can click them on real time

I dont think theres anything in the game that wont die to a level 1 spell being spammed really fast (harm)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

babypolis posted:

I've played the game a few times before, but yes picking melee tech this time probably soured things for me a bit more (having just reached the golems, whose existence I had wiped from my mind).

But I'm saying the game more generally sucks a lot of rear end, and its reputation of flawed masterpiece is unearned. It has great ambition and a serious amount of cool ideas but little of it works without reservation. It has too many fundamental problems to be considered merely unpolished. A lot comes down to the combat*, which affects some things indirectly, but it has issues in every department. It expands on the Fallout template of reactive fiction in some ways, but going about it has never been as tedious as it is here (I'm not sure how you square large hubs with long chain quests, but the issues are in full display here). I feel the writing's a step down (and too many dumb jokes). It's an ugly game, outside the city backgrounds and some detailed props (should mention I always adored the portrait art). The character system is unintuitive and it's very easy to screw yourself into a miserable experience (some of this ties back to the combat being as bad as it is). And it's poorly balanced, often in unfun ways. I'm actually okay with certain characters having an easier time with the game than others, but tech gets the short end of the stick too often.

*I know Sierra pushed them towards emulating Diablo, but that doesn't excuse the end result being complete junk.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I've played the game a few times before, but yes picking melee tech this time probably soured things for me a bit more (having just reached the golems, whose existence I had wiped from my mind).

But I'm saying the game more generally sucks a lot of rear end, and its reputation of flawed masterpiece is unearned. It has great ambition and a serious amount of cool ideas but little of it works without reservation. It has too many fundamental problems to be considered merely unpolished. A lot comes down to the combat*, which affects some things indirectly, but it has issues in every department. It expands on the Fallout template of reactive fiction in some ways, but going about it has never been as tedious as it is here (I'm not sure how you square large hubs with long chain quests, but the issues are in full display here). I feel the writing's a step down (and too many dumb jokes). It's an ugly game, outside the city backgrounds and some detailed props (should mention I always adored the portrait art). The character system is unintuitive and it's very easy to screw yourself into a miserable experience (some of this ties back to the combat being as bad as it is). And it's poorly balanced, often in unfun ways. I'm actually okay with certain characters having an easier time with the game than others, but tech gets the short end of the stick too often.

*I know Sierra pushed them towards emulating Diablo, but that doesn't excuse the end result being complete junk.

Yeah I never really thought of it as a flawed masterpiece, more a very flawed game thats get saved by its amibition and cool setting. Im not even sure how the hell you are supposed to get past the golems without a mage

Then again I last played it like 10 years ago so even that guarded praise might be rose tinted

Considering how popular steampunk is these days I wonder why no one else has tried an rpg in a similar vein. the industrial revolution is just an unexplored setting in general

babypolis fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Please at least watch an lp of the first shadow hearts. The series is one of the few rpgs a great story and to waste so much of the setup for covenant by skipping the first one would be a shame.