Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I mumbled something about not following football anymore after the Chiefs traded away my favorite player a few months ago, but hours later I was smiling warmly and eating some chips while watching Mahomes gifs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Full quote from Kerr.

https://twitter.com/melissarohlin/status/999705783381049344

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Epic High Five posted:

doesn't the NBA have a rule where you have to stand for the anthem

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/276029/why-the-nfl-is-light-years-behind-nba-on-social-justice-front

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Coldforge posted:

Which again, makes the NFL's statement that it was voted on unanimously such a joke. It was apparently neither unanimous nor a vote.

“What we said was ‘no one voted against it’ what you heard was unanimous”

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

we really need a better class of indolent, brazenly corrupt fatcats in this country

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Could you imagine the white tears if it was the Eagles that introduced Meek Mill instead of the 76ers?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I mean I was really wondering how there was a unanimous vote for all 32 teams when the Panthers either didn't have an official owner, or Tepper was less than 24 hours in voting.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Brain Curry posted:

“What we said was ‘no one voted against it’ what you heard was unanimous”

I know you're joking, but this is from NFL.com, as reported by Ian Rapoport:

"The changes passed unanimously on a 32-0 vote"

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Epic High Five posted:

we really need a better class of indolent, brazenly corrupt fatcats in this country

Green Arrow? Is that you?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Donald Sterling would probably be voted league commissioner in this NFL

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I still think McNair is worse than Sterling. McNair is just smart enough to use dog whistles unlike Sterling.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

algebra testes posted:

Donald Sterling would probably be voted league commissioner in this NFL

Sir, the question was, is this your handwriting?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I dunno why you would quit watching football over this.

Like, of all the awful things the NFL has done, fining teams whose players kneel barely scratches the surface of bad poo poo the NFL has done.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Like, of all the awful things the NFL has done, fining teams whose players kneel barely scratches the surface of bad poo poo the NFL has done.
https://twitter.com/TheLoveBel0w/status/999262107551100928

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I only watch through illegal streams anyway, so I don't count as supporting the NFL

Nov 6, 2002

The teams will be fined. To me this looks more like a way to let the players protest, while allowing the teams and the NFL to wash their hands of it by having an official policy to respond with.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I dunno why you would quit watching football over this.

Yeah, I don't get it either, should just poo poo endlessly on the owners / league over it, like everything else they do that deserves it.

What'd be funny would be a bunch of fans getting cheap rear end 1st preseason game tickets and having a grand ol' time respecting the national anthem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3G3BOwErtM

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

The teams will be fined. To me this looks more like a way to let the players protest, while allowing the teams and the NFL to wash their hands of it by having an official policy to respond with.

Guess that backfired

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I would love to see a pro baseball player kneel during the anthem.

The stadium would implode.

Nov 6, 2002

Ramadu posted:

Guess that backfired

Sorta? They released this decision in the darkest period of the offseason when there is nothing else to talk about. But perhaps, they wanted to get it out now and hope that it's long blown over by opening day.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Sorta? They released this decision in the darkest period of the offseason when there is nothing else to talk about. But perhaps, they wanted to get it out now and hope that it's long blown over by opening day.

If they were going to let it blow over, they should probably have done it in a week after OTAs when all the players were off doing their own thing and not all together pissed off about it.

This is just going to lead to players being deservedly real mad and agitating all summer.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Kalli posted:

If they were going to let it blow over, they should probably have done it in a week after OTAs when all the players were off doing their own thing and not all together pissed off about it.

This is just going to lead to players being deservedly real mad and agitating all summer.

Eh. I feel like after this initial phase wears off in a week it will be pretty dormant until preseason games start and then it'll ramp up culminating in some amazing Week 1 storylines.

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

I don't think there would really be any particularly good time to release a politically charged policy that is going to aggravate many people.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

A Man and his dog posted:

Someone did. It went over about as well as you would expect.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.129a5cdb2243

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Coldforge posted:

I know you're joking, but this is from NFL.com, as reported by Ian Rapoport:

"The changes passed unanimously on a 32-0 vote"

That’s pretty blatant. When I heard about it there was already talk of owners abstaining.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

EmbryoSteve posted:

He seems a bit old for a first psychotic break. I'll lean towards meth use as my primary suspicion for the onset of these problems

We've seen who knows how many NFLers do crazy poo poo while on synthetic weed and your first instinct is meth?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

we out here, CTE real head smashers plehboi

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
https://twitter.com/NFL/status/999734680298520576

Mayfield owns.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
In a week or so nobody will be talking about the NFL’s new policy and it won’t come back up again until the season starts. But it was going to come back up again when the season started anyway.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Kalli posted:

Yeah, I don't get it either, should just poo poo endlessly on the owners / league over it, like everything else they do that deserves it.

What'd be funny would be a bunch of fans getting cheap rear end 1st preseason game tickets and having a grand ol' time respecting the national anthem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3G3BOwErtM

extremely my poo poo

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

whypick1 posted:

We've seen who knows how many NFLers do crazy poo poo while on synthetic weed and your first instinct is meth?

Meth can cause psychosis and delusions, including extreme paranoia, i work at a community mental health agency and most of my psychotic/delusional clients had it start with meth use. So my mind went there

PSA - Don't touch meth y'all. It can give you permanent psychosis.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

:lol:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Yeah Mayfield had the best line in this.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

EmbryoSteve posted:

He seems a bit old for a first psychotic break. I'll lean towards meth use as my primary suspicion for the onset of these problems

The NSA story has a lot of similarities to the expression of my mother's paranoia schizophrenia, and she was about 50 when it blew up.

Schizophrenia, and swickles correct me if I am off here, is unique in that it is a mental illness with both genetic and environmental components. You can have the genetic factors lie dormant for a long time, only for it to blow up when an outside stress triggers it. Years of eroding his frontal lobe plus the mix of painkillers he is likely taking may have woken the beast up.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

A Man and his dog posted:

A kid part of the opening ceremonies during a Mariners game knelt during the anthem. Nobody cared

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

iospace posted:

Yes buuuuuuuuuuut...

As I said in the NBA thread, the NBA is more than willing to allow the players to stand up for causes they believe in, and the NBA itself is also very progressive compared to the other big sports in the US. The Bucks last night released a statement completely bashing the Milwaukee PD and the NBA won't do a thing about it.

Yea in the grand sense they should do away with that rule just for the 'gently caress the NFL' factor and all, but considering the NBA allows its people basically free reign to express their views it's much less of a sore point.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
lol Ian you shill

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/999706877498867713

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Lmao at all of this.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Sour Diesel posted:

im going to watch football this year

I'm not, nor will I ever again

Unless Arena Football takes an anti-this stance, in which case that's my new home for forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
All this fuss over some trashy lyrics written to the tune of a drinking song.

• Locked thread