Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Flipswitch posted:

Fitting out a Grasshopper. I've maxed out the support weapons with machine guns because the ammo lasts forever even with just one ton. Is it worth switching in some small lasers for discohopper? It doesn't run amazingly hot but it will start to stack up fast.

Yes, particularly if you find any ++ versions (there are no MG variants).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Conspiratiorist posted:

Yes, particularly if you find any ++ versions (there are no MG variants).

Yeah upgraded versions make the damage potential ludicrous. You lose a little crit potential but it's a fair trade I think.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I liked MGs when you had a lot of support slots, mostly for as you said the heat reason. With 6 of of them the difference is 30 heat (with room for 1 heatsink instead of the ammo) for 30 extra damage, fewer criticals. But both were pretty sweet / a reasonable person could disagree. With enough + weapons yeah it probably shifts back to SLs.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Flipswitch posted:

Fitting out a Grasshopper. I've maxed out the support weapons with machine guns because the ammo lasts forever even with just one ton. Is it worth switching in some small lasers for discohopper? It doesn't run amazingly hot but it will start to stack up fast.

All MGs seems inefficient because AFAIK you can't get more than one pilot injury from head hits in an attack. And the MGs are crit seekers but that means you want to use it as a finisher when the target already has armor stripped, which is pretty situational. So I'd mix in some flamers for the other situational use of loving over hot mechs.

OTOH small lasers I'd use all 6 and go for rear hits backstabs. Jump in, alpha strike, jump out, spend a turn cooling off. Instead of clean up duty you're sending it after mediums and low-armor heavies. It should get easy solo kills against the annoying chaff.

So you just need two Grasshoppers. :) But that's exactly what I did with firestarters: I went out of my way to acquire 2 of them so I had one for the hot maps (flamers) and one for the cold maps (s lasers).

On a related note, talking about MGs and hunting for head hits: I'd love a mod that had some UI tracking the number of injuries enemy pilots have taken. Not their max HP or how many they have left, just hits taken -- info that the player should be able to know, but is sometimes hard to track. That's a big weakness for me when trying to pokemon a mech, I don't catch a pilot wound when there's a dozen status messages scrolling. Or forget whether a particular one took two or three.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Nabbed an Awesome-class assault mech with a lucky cockpit shop in Grave Robbing. :getin:

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Got one of those random missions reporting a huge mech in a region. Last one was a King Crab, so I figured I'd go all-in on salvage.

It turned out to be an 80-ton tank that I blooped with a single AC/20 shot. :retrogames:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Switching off beta made my saves appear again :woop:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
So my story missions are still like 2 skull rated but I did a 4.5 skull assassination mission and sacrificed almost every single mech (AC20 Hunchback, MLAS Wolverine, AC20 Orion) to bring down the Atlas and then Behemoth took her QKD and sprinted full speed for the evac.

So now I have an AS7-D assault mech :cheers: has anyone tried dual AC20 or what is a good build for this monster lol

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Dual AC/20 is pretty good on an Atlas. You can fit full armor, jump jets, and lots of ammo.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Found a planet selling three Urbanmech salvage pieces. Snatched them all up since Urbanmechs are the rarest element in the Battletech universe. Promptly realized I have no use for it because I'm long past the point of fielding lights and it is physically incapable of actually filling all four of its ballistic slots.

Sure looks neat, though.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It's amazing how fielding a bunch of jump-jet equipped Highlanders and an Atlas makes a mockery of the story missions.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Klyith posted:

All MGs seems inefficient because AFAIK you can't get more than one pilot injury from head hits in an attack. And the MGs are crit seekers but that means you want to use it as a finisher when the target already has armor stripped, which is pretty situational. So I'd mix in some flamers for the other situational use of loving over hot mechs.

MGs have the best damage/(heat+weight) ratio in the game - they're the most efficient weapons.

The reason to take SLas (the second most efficient weapon) is if you've got the heat capacity to handle them for a little extra punch to your point-blank alpha, and to optimize your ammo usage (1 ton of MG ammo is 6.5 shots for 6, 8 shots for 5, 10 shots for 4). As you're unlikely to fire MGs more than 10 times in a deployment, but 8 times is liable to run out, 2xSlas + 4xMGs is a good setup.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I thought I read that MGs get three hit rolls per shot, so they're great for seeking out head shots if you want to incapacitate a pilot.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
You take a bunch of small lasers on your Grasshopper for if you're tired of somehow managing to Alpha or melee and not quite kill your target through maximum RNG sandpapering papering of Machineguns (Oh my god gently caress manticores).

On the OTHER hand. There are few things as satisfying in the world as watching a million 1 damage ticks pop up against a bulwark mech and it still manages to crack the armor and set off their ammo.

Absurd dice rolls. Making life hell for both sides. Overall I prefer MG spam, but Small laser spam is still a great time even if you don't have a bunch of variants. Though it did take until I had high guts before regularly using small laser spam.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 26, 2018

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Should assembling a mech from scrap take shop time and a place in the queue or is that too punishing

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I thought I read that MGs get three hit rolls per shot, so they're great for seeking out head shots if you want to incapacitate a pilot.

I'm pretty sure they only roll once for a headshot like missles do. They're good for crit-seeking but not any better for headshots.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Should assembling a mech from scrap take shop time and a place in the queue or is that too punishing
Just think about how long it takes to do something as simple as move the ammo out of your blackjack's center torso and tweak it's armor in the early game. Do you want that, and a waiting room period to build your second spider on top?

Most people crying about salvage are usually doing so from the point where it taking two months to build a mech out of salvage, come with no equipment, then be in need of repairs on top, is a mild inconvenience at worst. Now that you are no longer in the gutter struggling to pay your bills or field a full lance consistently.

So primarily it would just delay that tipping point where the infinite tonnage enemies throw at you, spills over and suddenly two missions go by and you have six more mechs than you did before in your hangar.

imweasel09 posted:

I'm pretty sure they only roll once for a headshot like missles do. They're good for crit-seeking but not any better for headshots.
A lot of people forget that Support weapons ignore evasive. So that adds quite a bit to the odds of some random locust dinging your head with a machinegun for the 50th time because they have better chances to hit you in the first place, vs "Holy poo poo, My Jumpjets Orion just matrix dodged 90% of an SRM carrier salvo from inside Medium laser range"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 26, 2018

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I think a good solution would be to add a queue for each bay, so you have have bays 2 and 3 bringing stuff online while you repair poo poo in bay 1.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

counterfeitsaint posted:

I think a good solution would be to add a queue for each bay, so you have have bays 2 and 3 bringing stuff online while you repair poo poo in bay 1.
Depends on if they have to share the mechtech pool. Two or three mechs being worked on at the same time, but taking two or three times as long, would be kind of pointless.

Full power in each bay would make multiple bays appealing even if you keep a slim roster. But it would just make the Leopard/Before you ground out the second mechbay phase that much more of a slog if you also had to reserve an entire row to piece together a spare locust.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 26, 2018

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Yeah but how many ships are you building while you're in the Leopard? I guess if you really like delaying story missions, but I'll be lucky to collect a medium worth using before I get the Argos. In this last playthrough the only new mech I had completed and used before that was a Jenner.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

counterfeitsaint posted:

Yeah but how many ships are you building while you're in the Leopard? I guess if you really like delaying story missions, but I'll be lucky to collect a medium worth using before I get the Argos. In this last playthrough the only new mech I had completed and used before that was a Jenner.
Yeah that still means it's gonna take you 40 days and 1.2 million credits minimum to build that second mechbay.

Now you still have one mechbay, a global difficulty increase, and over a month of waiting. Before you're any better than slumming it with the leopard because you still have to pick between repairing the robots you have or building your salvage while the game starts throwing heavy mechs and demolishers at you.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:12 on May 26, 2018

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

imweasel09 posted:

From what I can tell, all multi-hit weapons work the same way: they roll the first hit on the generic shot distribution table, then all follow up hits get an elevated chance to hit that same location or an adjacent one. With the exception of the head. There are two settings, ClusterChanceNeverMultiplyHead and ClusterChanceNeverClusterHead (both set true), that prevent multiple head hits.

There are still a bunch of questions, like whether clustering affects all hits from one weapon or everything from the entire weapon type. IE, are 4 LRM5s treated the same as one LRM20? But in general the idea is guns that do lots of low-damage hits, like MGs or LRMs, are better for getting head hits and pilot injuries on normal attacks. They have more chances for that 1/100 roll. However they're bad for called shots to the head because they're being anti-selected so you probably only get one.

IMO pilot injuries are cool early game when every opponent has 3 HP. Three injuries isn't difficult to do while keeping 3/3 salvage. But late game when they have 4 or 5, you're better off stacking upgraded 65 dmg AC/10s with a high Tactics pilot and going for the called shot to the dome. (Orion ON1-V headhunter: 2 AC/10s + 3 LRM5)

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Klyith posted:

From what I can tell, all multi-hit weapons work the same way: they roll the first hit on the generic shot distribution table, then all follow up hits get an elevated chance to hit that same location or an adjacent one. With the exception of the head. There are two settings, ClusterChanceNeverMultiplyHead and ClusterChanceNeverClusterHead (both set true), that prevent multiple head hits.

There are still a bunch of questions, like whether clustering affects all hits from one weapon or everything from the entire weapon type. IE, are 4 LRM5s treated the same as one LRM20? But in general the idea is guns that do lots of low-damage hits, like MGs or LRMs, are better for getting head hits and pilot injuries on normal attacks. They have more chances for that 1/100 roll. However they're bad for called shots to the head because they're being anti-selected so you probably only get one.

IMO pilot injuries are cool early game when every opponent has 3 HP. Three injuries isn't difficult to do while keeping 3/3 salvage. But late game when they have 4 or 5, you're better off stacking upgraded 65 dmg AC/10s with a high Tactics pilot and going for the called shot to the dome. (Orion ON1-V headhunter: 2 AC/10s + 3 LRM5)

Dev said that multi-hit weapons only cause injuries on the first shot of the salvo, so that's probably what those flags mean.

6 MGs have the same chance as 6 medium lasers of causing pilot injuries.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
DFA was only put in the game to give enemy quickdraws and dragons one way to gently caress you over

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/87?tab=files

New version of the mod that makes Juggernaut auto-Brace after a melee attack. :woop:

Yaaaayyy!

Did anyone else have it sink in that the [Story Mech from Endgame] weighs 10 tons more than [Story Mech from Grave Robbing] but has 12.5 more tons of free space? That just hit me. It must be using more of the weight-saving technologies. Even though you can't access Endosteel, XL Engine, or Ferro Fibrous armor for general use I'd kind of like to be able to see them on these couple of special mechs, just for my curiosity about what exactly they've got.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

SuperKlaus posted:

Yaaaayyy!

Did anyone else have it sink in that the [Story Mech from Endgame] weighs 10 tons more than [Story Mech from Grave Robbing] but has 12.5 more tons of free space? That just hit me. It must be using more of the weight-saving technologies. Even though you can't access Endosteel, XL Engine, or Ferro Fibrous armor for general use I'd kind of like to be able to see them on these couple of special mechs, just for my curiosity about what exactly they've got.

Atlas has a smaller engine.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

SuperKlaus posted:

Did anyone else have it sink in that the [Story Mech from Endgame] weighs 10 tons more than [Story Mech from Grave Robbing] but has 12.5 more tons of free space?

90 tonner with a 4/6 engine is wasting something like 10 tons on engine weight vs. a 100 tonner with a 3/5

In 3025, big engines are bad.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The 90 tonner in question only has a 3/5 engine, the same as the endgame mech and the stock Atlas. The endgame mech is cheating pretty hard with free tonnage; it presumably has special construction materials baked into it in some way because it has more payload space than even an AS7-D.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The Royal Highlander gives you 5 extra base tons for FF armor, Artemis-IV, and CASE. No idea what they did with the atlas, but both Mechs have the same engine size.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I assume the Atlas is modeling an XL engine. That's the only thing that would account for having such an enormous amount of free tonnage.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I sort of miss the era of lovely fmv cutscenes. Not that any still worked in Mercs but I'm watching some of Vengeance now and this is great. Starting to wonder how well the rest of them work. Too bad I don't still have an Xbox for Mechassault.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Oh loving hell, enemy reinforcements are a Black Knight, Schreck, Stalker and a KCrab.

Time to lock and load boys.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So if you withdraw do you automatically lose the mission even though you've already accomplished the objective? I had a mission where I didn't want to deal with the bullshit reinforcements but I already killed the entire lance I needed to kill, but there wasn't any option to evac, I thought I could just withdraw and be cool but apparently not.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I'm a little surprised that I haven't seen someone do some sort of 3039/3050 mod that just contains all the minimal effort/bad canon upgrades of the base mechs where they upgraded the structure, switched the heat sinks to doubles and all of the guns to the ER-versions.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 26, 2018

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Flipswitch posted:

Oh loving hell, enemy reinforcements are a Black Knight, Schreck, Stalker and a KCrab.

Time to lock and load boys.
I had something like this happen that resulted in the one time I've savescummed (other than to fix a couple of obvious gameplay bugs). It was a three-skull assassination mission sometime around the mid-game, and I took out the target -- a Stalker, the first assault I'd fought other than Welfare Mech -- with a lucky headshot.

Then reinforcements showed up: I don't remember the exact composition, but I'm pretty sure they had a couple of Highlanders and definitely a King Crab.

Um, okay... Three skulls, huh? Here I am with three already-damaged heavies and an assault, and the jerks were parked exactly between me and the extraction point.

I'm not above withdrawing from a mission gone bad, but hell if I was going to give up salvaging a fully-intact Stalker. I think I ended up reloading six or seven times before finally managing to win.

I'm not ashamed. That Stalker is now an SRM death machine with medium laser backup. And jump jets. It wrecks things.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

counterfeitsaint posted:

So if you withdraw do you automatically lose the mission even though you've already accomplished the objective? I had a mission where I didn't want to deal with the bullshit reinforcements but I already killed the entire lance I needed to kill, but there wasn't any option to evac, I thought I could just withdraw and be cool but apparently not.

There's "Good Faith Withdrawal" which requires at least one objective complete (I have no idea if it has to be a primary objective) and at least one kill. It sounds like that's the one you should have got, which means you did technically fail the contract but you should still get some salvage and not lose and rep.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

GruntyThrst posted:

There's "Good Faith Withdrawal" which requires at least one objective complete (I have no idea if it has to be a primary objective) and at least one kill. It sounds like that's the one you should have got, which means you did technically fail the contract but you should still get some salvage and not lose and rep.

Yeah, that's what I got. But the contract said to kill a lance of mechs, and I killed all 4 and the objective thing said 100% when I got the last one and then it said objective completed. But there were reinforcements and I didn't kill any of them. I just assumed I wouldn't get the 20% or whatever bonus for completing that bonus objective. If killing reinforcements and completing bonus objectives is 100% required then why do you get bonuses for it? I guess there are missions where it's just literally impossible to get just your agreed upon pay without bonuses, you either fail entirely or you get the bonus, which doesn't make sense to me.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

counterfeitsaint posted:

Yeah, that's what I got. But the contract said to kill a lance of mechs, and I killed all 4 and the objective thing said 100% when I got the last one and then it said objective completed. But there were reinforcements and I didn't kill any of them. I just assumed I wouldn't get the 20% or whatever bonus for completing that bonus objective. If killing reinforcements and completing bonus objectives is 100% required then why do you get bonuses for it? I guess there are missions where it's just literally impossible to get just your agreed upon pay without bonuses, you either fail entirely or you get the bonus, which doesn't make sense to me.

I am assuming by "withdraw" you meant that you used the withdraw button. Extraction is a primary objective, so you *technically* did not complete your contact as agreed. This is why being a mercenary sucks in Battletech, employers love to dick you over with fine print.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

I assume the Atlas is modeling an XL engine. That's the only thing that would account for having such an enormous amount of free tonnage.

The only way I found to simulate the exact amount of extra tonnage is XL+endo structure, and then spending 1.5 tons on CASE and/or other equipment. Any other weight-saver combination didn't even get lose to freeing up that much.

Magni fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Magni posted:

THe only way I found to simulate the exact amount of extra tonnage is XL+endo structure, and then spending 1.5 tons on CASE or other equipment. Any other weight-saver combination didn't even get lose to freeing up that much.
Case is just a default feature of "People are not quite as stupid in HBS Btech" on everything, so counting case would throw every mech in the game off. But I can see trying to count it when thinking of basic space QoL features that show up later.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 27, 2018