Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

This is a dumb argument, a dumb argument that could also be used to say that All Might's injury and deterioration doesn't actually have consequences or add tension. Your own expectations are the real issue here, the show never said that the next time he overexerted himself would result in specific consequences, it stated something much more vague than that and you read what you wanted into that.

All might's deterioration does have consequence though? He can't use his form as often or as long, and he has a specific weak point now that opponents can exploit. Every time all might gets into a rough fight, he becomes weaker, and as a result he's only been in 1 real fight the whole series.

Every time midoriya shatters his bones, he gets told "stop it" and has a new scar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Rhonne posted:

Do you think Hagakure was born invisible, or that it happened when her quirk developed? Imagine being the poor doctor that has to deliver an invisible baby.

Probably in kindergarten or pre-school when the other kids did. But that just means her mom had to try and track down a naked invisible kindergartner all the time!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Ugh. Ok, I'm only doing this so I can make the thread *maybe* chill the heck out a bit. The next line is a spoiler, but it's not a major one, and if you're irritated about the "lack of consequences" you should maybe read it.

Deku's latest injury forces him to completely change his fighting style.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mordaedil posted:

I personally can't wait for Deku to headbutt all of the villains as his only form of attack.

Eventually he has to rely on Bakugo to launch him at enemies

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/sd_comic_con/status/1001520457961627649?s=21

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
He's gonna start naming Smashes after the American cities he goes to for cons

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

Every time midoriya shatters his bones, he gets told "stop it" and has a new scar.

...And also he can't use that bone again in the same fight (barring a couple of extreme exceptions) and also he's causing immense emotional strain to people who care about him, which is every bit as a real a consequence as anything more 'tangible' in a work of fiction.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Eej posted:

He's gonna start naming Smashes after the American cities he goes to for cons
FurCon Smash!

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

JT Jag posted:

Ugh. Ok, I'm only doing this so I can make the thread *maybe* chill the heck out a bit. The next line is a spoiler, but it's not a major one, and if you're irritated about the "lack of consequences" you should maybe read it.

Deku's latest injury forces him to completely change his fighting style.

Let me handle the moderating, please, JT Jag.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
for real tho how long is it gonna take for this boy to master One For All? Or at least get to a level where he doesn't destroy his body every fight. From Gran Toreno's flashback it seems like All Might had a decent grip on it when he was Deku's age and he was born quirkless as well

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Well also All Might probably thought more about the power objectively (and presumably had a good teacher) instead of growing up idolizing the previous OFA and trying to replicate exactly what he was doing.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

The Sandman posted:

Doesn't help Hagakure, she never appears.

she could be mugging the camera in every single shot for all you know!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Yeah All Might isn't really a good teacher, and also it's been made pretty apparent that Deku's complete hero worship of All Might has probably hindered his own growth.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

for real tho how long is it gonna take for this boy to master One For All? Or at least get to a level where he doesn't destroy his body every fight. From Gran Toreno's flashback it seems like All Might had a decent grip on it when he was Deku's age and he was born quirkless as well

We don't know that All-Might was hitting as hard back then as he can now, tbf. I'd say Deku has a decent grip on it now - Full Cowling might not mean poo poo to Full Power OFA or Muscular, but it's still a shitton stronger than anything an ordinary human can do.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If there's bullshit here, it's that Deku's very next conflict after getting Full Cowling requires that he disregard those lessons entirely.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

If there's bullshit here, it's that Deku's very next conflict after getting Full Cowling requires that he disregard those lessons entirely.

IIRC he used full cowling exclusively during the Stain fight

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

fool_of_sound posted:

IIRC he used full cowling exclusively during the Stain fight

*She means the Muscular thing, I think, in which it's all single big moves rather than a slow burn.

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 30, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

She, but yes. Stain proved it worked as a concept, but instead of the next fight forcing him to push the boundaries of his new technique, he had to just disregard it entirely and brute force it the old fashioned way.

Don't get me wrong, the scene was great, but that was because of the acting and storytelling, the fight itself was very generic.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Saitama could beat up pre-injury All Might

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CharlestonJew posted:

There are two issues to consider with Deku's mastery of it. One, the quirk given to him is stronger then the quirk that was given to All Might due the nature of One for All and I get the feeling that All Might basically super charged the quirk to make it into a truly terrifying ability. Two, as Gran Torino said the quirk just came naturally to All Might to the point that he naturally knew just what he was doing with it.

PMush Perfect posted:

That isn't true though. Full Cowling had utility in the fight against Muscular and during the rest of the night it allowed him to keep on contributing even with both his arms completely out of action.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
All Might was also probably already the kind to train his body before even getting the Quirk. Even though he trained for almost a year in preparation, it really feels like Deku isn't ready to handle it.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

There are two issues to consider with Deku's mastery of it. One, the quirk given to him is stronger then the quirk that was given to All Might due the nature of One for All and I get the feeling that All Might basically super charged the quirk to make it into a truly terrifying ability. Two, as Gran Torino said the quirk just came naturally to All Might to the point that he naturally knew just what he was doing with it.

Yeah, All Might was kind of a freak of nature prodigy.

One thing I'd love to see in the future is to learn more about all the One for All Users who came before All Might and see how they handled the power.

Hunt11 posted:

That isn't true though. Full Cowling had utility in the fight against Muscular and during the rest of the night it allowed him to keep on contributing even with both his arms completely out of action.

Like doing a sick dropkick to Spinners sword of swords.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

ninjewtsu posted:

All might's deterioration does have consequence though? He can't use his form as often or as long, and he has a specific weak point now that opponents can exploit. Every time all might gets into a rough fight, he becomes weaker, and as a result he's only been in 1 real fight the whole series.

We've never seen actual consequences for All Might's injury, every time he's been on the scene and had to transform he has been able to do so and for long enough to deal with the problem, exactly like how every time Deku has needed to mess up his body he has been able to do so. Both of them have the looming possibility of real consequences moving forward, slowly catching up with them. The real difference is that All Might is the mentor character so you are open to the idea of consequences catching up with him, while Deku is the MC of a shonen series so you dismiss the idea of consequences for him out of hand.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Wheel of Time did a pretty good job of having consequences to using a power, between all the braid tugging and sniffing. Go re-read that while we wait for the next episode.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Jackard posted:

Saitama could beat up pre-injury All Might

Of course he could. But why would he?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

We've never seen actual consequences for All Might's injury, every time he's been on the scene and had to transform he has been able to do so and for long enough to deal with the problem, exactly like how every time Deku has needed to mess up his body he has been able to do so. Both of them have the looming possibility of real consequences moving forward, slowly catching up with them. The real difference is that All Might is the mentor character so you are open to the idea of consequences catching up with him, while Deku is the MC of a shonen series so you dismiss the idea of consequences for him out of hand.

ninjewtsu posted:

honestly i'd have been perfectly satisfied with "no, really, you have to sit this next one out because you did the thing we told you not to do. your arms are hosed up, but with a little more time they'll be mostly functional."

there's possible consequences for deku's actions that aren't "deku is now a quadriplegic." i actually thought they did a pretty good job the first time he wrecked his fingers with the consequence being "i've lost some feeling and articulation in my hand. it's still functional, but if i do that again it'll become a problem." the follow up to that being "well deku, good job putting your arms through The Bone Cruncher, you're good as new for now but you don't have many more of these left in you" is comparatively a pretty weak followup.

the consequences for All Might's injury are that he is physically weaker. it is true that as a secondary character, this being shown in a more vague way is easier to accept than it would be for the MC. such as how All Might didn't show up for the camp because he's unable to keep his muscle form up for long enough to trick everyone into thinking he's still at full power, iirc that's the actual reason he wasn't there and "if All Might was there it'd be easier for them to find us" was a bullshit excuse given to cover up the actual reason. presumably, he didn't show up on the UA press release for similar reasons. yeah, it's kind of more an assumption that the nomu fight feeds into this than it actually being stated, but also All Might is a secondary character who is already pretty limited regardless, the expectations are different. in any case, the fact that we were even told "All Might took on a noticeable, physical toll as a result" already makes it have heavier consequences than deku's injury (we were told "he's fine, but if he keeps doing it then at some point in the future, eventually, he won't be fine anymore")

honestly this isn't some awful, glaring flaw that ruins the show or anything, it's just kind of weird how dismissive everyone is of the idea that the aftermath of deku ripping his arms apart could've been handled better.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ninjewtsu posted:

there's possible consequences for deku's actions that aren't "deku is now a quadriplegic." i actually thought they did a pretty good job the first time he wrecked his fingers with the consequence being "i've lost some feeling and articulation in my hand. it's still functional, but if i do that again it'll become a problem." the follow up to that being "well deku, good job putting your arms through The Bone Cruncher, you're good as new for now but you don't have many more of these left in you" is comparatively a pretty weak followup.

the consequences for All Might's injury are that he is physically weaker. it is true that as a secondary character, this being shown in a more vague way is easier to accept than it would be for the MC. such as how All Might didn't show up for the camp because he's unable to keep his muscle form up for long enough to trick everyone into thinking he's still at full power, iirc that's the actual reason he wasn't there and "if All Might was there it'd be easier for them to find us" was a bullshit excuse given to cover up the actual reason. presumably, he didn't show up on the UA press release for similar reasons. yeah, it's kind of more an assumption that the nomu fight feeds into this than it actually being stated, but also All Might is a secondary character who is already pretty limited regardless, the expectations are different. in any case, the fact that we were even told "All Might took on a noticeable, physical toll as a result" already makes it have heavier consequences than deku's injury (we were told "he's fine, but if he keeps doing it then at some point in the future, eventually, he won't be fine anymore")

honestly this isn't some awful, glaring flaw that ruins the show or anything, it's just kind of weird how dismissive everyone is of the idea that the aftermath of deku ripping his arms apart could've been handled better.

It's probably because we haven't gotten to the aftermath of him having ripping his arms apart yet. He hasn't actually done anything, he hasn't thrown a smash, or used his powers at all. The thing that is annoying is you are dismissing the idea there is any fallout because it is not as of yet immediately happened, where as you should probably start dismissing it the next time Deku gets into a fight, which shouldn't be very long because this show moves at a breakneck pace.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i can put a "*as far as i know" if that would make you feel better?

yes, obviously this is a judgement made on what we've seen, and not on what we have not seen yet. this is the anime thread, afterall. i can't say there's really been any foreshadowing i can point to as being reason to suspect there is more to this than there seems.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Let me handle the moderating, please, JT Jag.

Every real hero needs a sidekick...

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Rhonne posted:

One thing I'd love to see in the future is to learn more about all the One for All Users who came before All Might and see how they handled the power.

Honestly, I think they shouldn't do this. If Horikoshi showed the previous OfA users and they prove to be super interesting to the readers/viewers then editorial might pressure him to show more of them in flashbacks or side chapters. It's going to be Naruto all over again where it SAYS the rookie genins are amazing, but more and more old generation ninjas pop up to steal the spotlight.

If we put it into western comic book terms, it'd be the Geoff Johns treatment where legacy characters get completely shafted because the writer loves Hal Jordan and Barry West, two of the most boringest characters ever.

Rhonne posted:

Like doing a sick dropkick to Spinners sword of swords.

Spinner is such a massive tryhard dork. He's great! :allears:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Speaking of the dorkloser, I do think it's pretty interesting and noteworthy that in the forest stuff, we saw everyone LoV member's Quirk... except Toga and Spinner. Toga clearly gave a hint as to what hers is, but Spinner just uses a big ol' sword made of knives. He can use it pretty good, but that's all we got from him there. Beyond that, all we know for sure is his iguana-style appearance. Is he like Tsuyu in that he can do things like an iguana or is he like Tokoyami in that he has the appearance but his actual Quirk is unrelated? :iiam:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I think he's just another ninja turtle.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

pointlessone posted:

Wheel of Time did a pretty good job of having consequences to using a power, between all the braid tugging and sniffing. Go re-read that while we wait for the next episode.

Now now there's no need for insults

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

Speaking of the dorkloser, I do think it's pretty interesting and noteworthy that in the forest stuff, we saw everyone LoV member's Quirk... except Toga and Spinner. Toga clearly gave a hint as to what hers is, but Spinner just uses a big ol' sword made of knives. He can use it pretty good, but that's all we got from him there. Beyond that, all we know for sure is his iguana-style appearance. Is he like Tsuyu in that he can do things like an iguana or is he like Tokoyami in that he has the appearance but his actual Quirk is unrelated? :iiam:

spinner's sword-sword is an impractical piece of poo poo that gets effortlessly dismantled by deku after half his skeleton exploded, and that's what makes it funny

he nearly gets his poo poo pushed in thirty seconds after his battle starts because a girl said he was cute

like he's such an obvious "we just needed an extra pair of hands" addition to the league and everyone seems to be aware of it except him

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

spinner's sword-sword is an impractical piece of poo poo that gets effortlessly dismantled by deku after half his skeleton exploded, and that's what makes it funny

he nearly gets his poo poo pushed in thirty seconds after his battle starts because a girl said he was cute

like he's such an obvious "we just needed an extra pair of hands" addition to the league and everyone seems to be aware of it except him

Kurogiri decided he was worth saving over Muscular, Mustard, and Moonfish, so he has to be doing something right.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Every group of villains needs a Shocker.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Probably because he isn't a walking murderer machine, whatever you call moonfish, or a school kid that prob has a family meaning it's harder to track them down.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Spinner is the heart of the team.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rhonne posted:

Kurogiri decided he was worth saving over Muscular, Mustard, and Moonfish, so he has to be doing something right.

little known fact about kurogiri is that he cannot stand alliteration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Radish posted:

Spinner is the heart of the team.
Don't do Twice dirty like that.