Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

crispix posted:

No, mate. I think you were being silly, weren't you? :/

On a satirical internet forum? Don't be ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Spider Monkey posted:

Slow news day then?
Surprised the thread isn't making fun out of Corbyn owning Chuka Umunna for advertising for an unpaid internship

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Pesmerga posted:

Camrath, that sounds really poo poo, I hope you’re recovering OK. What sort of work do you usually do?

On biscuits, clearly oatmeal and raisin cookies are the only correct choice. They are the chaotic good choice.

I've done various jobs in my life ranging from shooting instructor, professional clown and face/bodypainter to running a PT business, but most of my 'career' has been in security and security management. Used to run the physical security side of things at Coutts Bank, which was certainly not without its highlights (though also meant working for G4S, who are cunts.).

Pro-tip; be nice to any security guys at your workplace- normally they're good people just trying to earn a living on a low rate, long hours job. And their upper management is almost guaranteed to be scummy fucks who abuses the gently caress out of their workforce. Even just a smile and a 'good morning' lightens the day.

Edit: I completely support the oatmeal and raisin option.

Camrath fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 31, 2018

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Camrath posted:

I've done various jobs in my life ranging from shooting instructor, professional clown and face/bodypainter to running a PT business

Now I'm imagining you "encouraging" people to run faster by shooting at them while dressed as Pennywise. I bet it'd be effective.

e: oatmeal and raisin is OK but cookies aren't biscuits :colbert:

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Camrath posted:

Pro-tip; be nice to any security guys at your workplace- normally they're good people just trying to earn a living on a low rate, long hours job. And their upper management is almost guaranteed to be scummy fucks who abuses the gently caress out of their workforce. Even just a smile and a 'good morning' lightens the day.

Pro-est tip: This also works (and a lot of that sentence also applies) for the general population. Security has always struck me as a bit of a thankless, grindy job though.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Camrath posted:

Pro-tip: ALWAYS be nice to the cleaners and security. I mean, it's good to be a decent human being, but even if you aren't, you should be nice to them anyway because those guys are the rumor-mill of the company and they are priceless sources of information if your position involves any amount of politics. And you don't want them pissed off at you under any circumstances. These guys can save your skin.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Camrath posted:

Belatedly, but.

If you're going to cycle you really should wear a helmet. I had a bicycle accident in 2001 (while in Kenya on a locally made bike), where I faceplanted down a steep road after my brakes failed. Was out cold for about 45 minutes, and it took about six hours to get to even basic medical attention. Now, I recognise that that's a very different situation from riding in a modern city, but if I was wearing a helmet I A. wouldn't have lost most of the skin on one side of my face (I looked like the phantom of the opera for about six weeks after; luckily I didn't scar up too bad) or B. suffered life changing head injuries that have resulted in me failing out of university and then spending my entire adult life either struggling with mental illness or recovering from it. Right now I had another outbreak in 2016, and I've been out of work since then as a result.

Seriously, brains are fragile and weird things and you only get one. Wear a helmet- I would if I could bring myself to get on two wheels again.

I'll be honest here, while a helmet would have helped, the message I take from this is "Be very sure your brakes work properly" - one that applies to pretty much any moving vehicle.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Gorn Myson posted:

Surprised the thread isn't making fun out of Corbyn owning Chuka Umunna for advertising for an unpaid internship

I'm surprised that it's not bigger news in here that Baroness Warsi said she was called "the p-word" during Tory party meetings and her complaints were ignored or brushed aside. I mean I'm not surprised it happened, or that the majority of news sources are ignoring it but I expected someone in here to pick up on it by now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZiVNdteZ58&t=286s
Around 4:40 to 4:50, she tries to brush over it a bit, and yes it's Evolve Politics upload but the clip comes from GMB but that just begs the question. When the gently caress did Richard Madeley become a decent journalist or did he just find a popular niche when he told Spiderman to gently caress off earlier in the week? Now he's actually digging in and asking questions about the Tories that every news outlet should have been asking for 40 years.

Except then of course they start attacking Corbyn for antisemitism again.

Verizian fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 31, 2018

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jabby posted:

That's a 2016 Toyota Hilux horrifically failing the 'moose test', and nearly flipping over from a swerve at 35mph.

They had to substantially revise the car as a result, but it shows how unstable cars with a high centre of gravity can be.
What they did to the Hilux was a loving travesty.

I used to drive one of the late 90s ones back in the 00s. It was a brick shithouse that could run on turpentine, survive a trip through a river, and half the internal components were compatible with the 'random Maplin parts and bits of scrap wood' standard.
Cosmetically it was never going to look anything other than a frame for transporting trades, bags of sand, or Sunni insurgents from place to place, but it was a great vehicle.

Now they've tried to go for the American open back SUV look and feel and it's poo poo.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I'll be honest here, while a helmet would have helped, the message I take from this is "Be very sure your brakes work properly" - one that applies to pretty much any moving vehicle.

Oh, I agree- these bikes were locally made and had a collection of rods and cams rather than cable brakes. The central rod literally fell off onto the road as I went downhill, leaving me with no brakes at all. I was an idiot teen at the time, and didn't think that such things could happen.

However a helmet would probably have mitigated the worst of my injuries- or at least, the longer lasting ones. I wasn't going particularly fast, but some well-meaning local tried to grab me, got the bike instead and made it flip over. Last thing I remember is the road rushing up to meet me, then 45 minutes later waking up in the arms of one of my fellow gap yah people (who two days ago had threatened me with a machete after finding out I was bi..) and saying 'Is this what's needed to get a hug around here?'.

Sorry, I didn't mean to ramble. I've had a life full of weird, funny or hosed up events and the way I deal with it in part is through story-telling. If you can get a laugh about your darkest times, somehow they hurt less.

Julio Cruz posted:

Now I'm imagining you "encouraging" people to run faster by shooting at them while dressed as Pennywise. I bet it'd be effective.

e: oatmeal and raisin is OK but cookies aren't biscuits :colbert:

Never did that, but I did train a guy who wanted to get fit for reenactment by having him do drills in chainmail and with a weighted rod to represent an axe. Got good results, too!

Did get to meet Madonna during the shooting teacher thing (when she was engaged to Guy Ritchie she took shooting lessons at the club I worked at, and I was a trapper for her a couple of times)

WhatEvil posted:

Pro-est tip: This also works (and a lot of that sentence also applies) for the general population. Security has always struck me as a bit of a thankless, grindy job though.

It really is. It's a role of being constantly shat on until you're needed, then getting shat on by monday morning quarterbacks afterwards.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I always felt bad for not being nicer to people but it was because of my crippling anxiety not because I think I'm better than they are :(

Now it's a bit moot on account of never interacting offline with anyone unless the alternative is, like, homelessness.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Speaking of cars, I took my car to a local garage to get a coolant leak looked at, and had been told by the garage that it'd be no problem for me to rent a car for 2 days from a place up the road while they did the work (they needed to investigate the problem and then order and wait for parts so needed to keep it for a short while). "Yeah they've always got cars and they'll do you a deal if you tell them I sent you".

So I take my car in... and the rental place has no cars.

"Oh it's alright, you can borrow our little green van",
"Ok yeah, sure, thanks".
"Oh, it hasn't got power steering or nothing".
"Oh, well, that's alright, as long as it gets me from A to B".

Turns out it's a loving 1996 diesel Vauxhall Combo van and it is proper hosed in every imaginable way. Squishy horrible brakes, gearbox hosed, no power, rattly as poo poo, wobbly spongey suspension, no airbags or anything, and somehow smelled like somebody had been frying onions inside it.

Drove it for two days, as little as possible, just to get to work and back, and then back to the garage today to pick my car up. On the way back to the garage, the battery warning light comes on, the brake pedal gets super hard to push and the engine starts to overheat. Only had ~3 miles to go so thought "gently caress it" and just carried on. As I pull up to the garage, steam is coming out from under the bonnet. Turns out the belt which drives the alternator and water pump and brake pressure had come loose, but it seemed like this was a normal occurrence.

gently caress me, if you want to appreciate modern cars, drive something 20+ years old for a bit and then get into something new(er).

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
While we are slagging off accents, I am sick of the hegemony of the people who canna be hosed with the letter R. That advert for the Star Bra. Those two words shouldn't rhyme should they :how:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

WhatEvil posted:

Turns out the belt which drives the alternator and water pump and brake pressure had come loose, but it seemed like this was a normal occurrence.
That's why you keep a pair of stockings in the glove box.

That's my excuse anyway.

e: ^^^ Oh cool, rhotic/non-rhotic chat

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have had the pleasure of more than once being in a "refrigerated" van full of meat that has had the refrigerator crap out as soon as it was loaded, at which point we had to race to the delivery point and unload it as fast as possible before it got warm enough for them to notice.

Sadly true and not just a weird dream I had about playing GTA.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

WhatEvil posted:

gently caress me, if you want to appreciate modern cars, drive something 20+ years old for a bit and then get into something new(er).

My car is 22 years old and still running very smoothly. Nissan make good cars! I actually find it more pleasant to drive than the odd rental car I've used, but I guess that's more familiarity than anything.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

crispix posted:

While we are slagging off accents, I am sick of the hegemony of the people who canna be hosed with the letter R. That advert for the Star Bra. Those two words shouldn't rhyme should they :how:

I'm guilty of this but yeah fair enough, I can see why that would bother some people. Mate of mine who didn't pronounce R's went and lived in NYC for like 5 years and now he pronounces all of his R's and combined with the rest of his accent (being general "estuary english") it just sounds bizarre.

Also I wasn't slagging off Irish accents, it was just a silly joke, on a silly internet forum. If I'd said "Irish people talk like cunts!" then yeah, but, no. You know, I'm sure some are cunts, but I think all the Irish people I've met have been really sound.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 31, 2018

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Custard cremes are poo poo

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Camrath posted:

Did get to meet Madonna during the shooting teacher thing (when she was engaged to Guy Ritchie she took shooting lessons at the club I worked at, and I was a trapper for her a couple of times)

Working as a trapper for Madonna sounds like you were in charge of finding her orphans to adopt.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pound_Coin posted:

You and me. Car park. Now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

You and me. Car park. Now.

And bagsy I'm your second.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Car and cycle chat is better than other kinds of chat itt, for your amusement in EU affairs tonight; it looks like Rajoy is out in Spain and Lega+M5S have formed a government.

I know you're on your way out, but you're just missing all the fun.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Julio Cruz posted:

Working as a trapper for Madonna sounds like you were in charge of finding her orphans to adopt.

I had honestly not thought of it that way.

(For the record, she was a bloody terrible shot)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

WhatEvil posted:

Also I wasn't slagging off Irish accents, it was just a silly joke, on a silly internet forum. If I'd said "Irish people talk like cunts!" then yeah, but, no. You know, I'm sure some are cunts, but I think all the Irish people I've met have been really sound.

It's cool.
Some irish accents are sexy, some are ok, some are loving atrocious.
Cork accent for example. Been here a decade and still dont understand the locals.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That custard cream description had me bang to rights. :eng99:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

WhatEvil posted:

Speaking of cars, I took my car to a local garage to get a coolant leak looked at, and had been told by the garage that it'd be no problem for me to rent a car for 2 days from a place up the road while they did the work (they needed to investigate the problem and then order and wait for parts so needed to keep it for a short while). "Yeah they've always got cars and they'll do you a deal if you tell them I sent you".

So I take my car in... and the rental place has no cars.

"Oh it's alright, you can borrow our little green van",
"Ok yeah, sure, thanks".
"Oh, it hasn't got power steering or nothing".
"Oh, well, that's alright, as long as it gets me from A to B".

Turns out it's a loving 1996 diesel Vauxhall Combo van and it is proper hosed in every imaginable way. Squishy horrible brakes, gearbox hosed, no power, rattly as poo poo, wobbly spongey suspension, no airbags or anything, and somehow smelled like somebody had been frying onions inside it.

Drove it for two days, as little as possible, just to get to work and back, and then back to the garage today to pick my car up. On the way back to the garage, the battery warning light comes on, the brake pedal gets super hard to push and the engine starts to overheat. Only had ~3 miles to go so thought "gently caress it" and just carried on. As I pull up to the garage, steam is coming out from under the bonnet. Turns out the belt which drives the alternator and water pump and brake pressure had come loose, but it seemed like this was a normal occurrence.

The majority of my four-wheeled miles remain in the VW Type 3 Fastback my sister's boyfriend gave me and we heavily modified between us. You've not lived until you've tried to parallel-park a car with no power steering (and a gokart steering wheel, none of that pansy mechanical advantage from a big wheel poo poo), extra-fat Porsche wheels and tyres, and a transmission with a warped dry clutch, no synchro on the gearbox and no gate on the shifter.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

OwlFancier posted:

It's all right Pound Coin I got your back

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I mean it's amazing, really, that that van from 1996 was sold as an acceptable thing with no power steering, and my mid-range hatchback which is only 12 years newer has power steering, ABS, ESP, driver, passenger and side impact airbags, and is just generally waaaay smoother and more responsive in just about every way.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Rarity posted:

my favorite cookie is peanut butter. all of your cookies are loving terrible.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rarity posted:

No I mean as in a duel second, so now it's three to one.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Like most goons have even had a first.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I buy the biscuits for my office but every oval office loving demolishes them before I get to have more than 3 or 4. They're usually hobnobs but lately I've been buying Digestives because they're cheaper.
The Librarian is the worst culprit for eating all the biscuits despite never ever buying any. Once when i bought chocolate hobnobs he even had the loving cheek to complain that he doesn't like chocolate.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

We don't even get company biscuits, or coffee, just tea, and I loving hate breakfast tea.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

communism bitch posted:

I buy the biscuits for my office but every oval office loving demolishes them before I get to have more than 3 or 4. They're usually hobnobs but lately I've been buying Digestives because they're cheaper.
The Librarian is the worst culprit for eating all the biscuits despite never ever buying any. Once when i bought chocolate hobnobs he even had the loving cheek to complain that he doesn't like chocolate.

Stop buying them. Or st least stop buying them with your own money.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

communism bitch posted:

Welcome to the Republican Party :smugdog:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Pound_Coin posted:

:wrong:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

communism bitch posted:

You work with a pile of tories, why are you buying them biscuits?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Biscuits don't really suit my lifestyle.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier posted:

You work with a pile of tories, why are you buying them biscuits?

Laxatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Miftan posted:

Laxatives.

Should buy them Sugar-Free Haribo Goldbears then.

• Locked thread