Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Blade Runner posted:

That dude is a powerful villain for Pete to face, and I want to see how he deals with him in the next issue

he's actually a lot like pete, but without the human qualities or empathy

dark pete

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
FWB and I looking for more "Over the clothing" things to try! Any ideas?

quote:

Hello Reddit! I didn't know where to put this, so I hope that it fits here. My FWB and I are both saving ourselves for marriage, and we have no plans on having sex, but we have definitely been having fun with just over the clothing type of play.

Lately, we have been at a loss as to what else to try this way, and it has been a bit of a low point for us. We still enjoying it a lot, but we have run out of things to message each other about / run out of new things to try. I was wondering if any of you amazing people know any incredible scenarios or positions or anything along these lines. Just looking for further ideas to make her want it even more!

Much appreciated!

Is this what sexual relationships are like in Utah?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Oh just gently caress already jesus.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Strip down to you're undies and grind your gentinals on the coffee table. Be sure to never break eye contact.

Gibbis, get your Solomon sword's out. How will you divide this baby (the baby is a house)?

My husband's [4 years] father [67m] told his three sons [35m, 25m, 17m] to decide how to split their eventual inheritance. He isn't happy with the decision everyone reached and wants another solution.Non-Romantic

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/5juq01/my_husbands_4_years_father_67m_told_his_three/

quote:

Essentially my FIL announced last Thanksgiving that he's making a new will and wanted everyone present* to come to an agreement on how to divide his assets.

*His oldest "John" [35m] and his wife "Diana" [37f], "Marvin" [25m] who is my [24f] husband, and his youngest "Daniel" [17m].

His main asset is a three story house in a neighborhood where property value has skyrocketed and everything else would probably be equivalent to its cash value. He stated we had to decide how to fairly divide that among the three brothers. At one point he pointed out we should consider Diana is the only one of us to still have student loans remaining and they'd get value out of paying those off quickly and that his youngest was the only son to have a college fund paid for by the family (He was accepted to his first choice college last Monday). I think implying his eldest and youngest should take a lesser cut of cash over the house. He also said Marvin and I are better equipped to renovate his current home.

However upon discussion everyone but my FIL thinks John, Marvin, Diana, Troy, and I should split the main two levels of the home and share the first floor as a common area. We can use the cash for renovations to make the house suit the arrangement better as well as turn the basement into an apartment to rent out. The profits of which would go to Daniel indefinitely or until he has an interest in living in the basement suite. Any cash remaining would be split between renovating the greenhouse on the property for Marvin & I, Diana's student loans, and Daniel.

Marvin & I moved in with John and Diana when we were both started college. It helped us pay off student loans and we helped them care for and save money for their son "Troy" [6m]. We now can afford to live separately but choose not to. There's much more financial freedom and ease of life with four adults running one household. We see ourselves as Troy's backup parents and also have discussed wanting their help when we have our own child. Everyone involved sees us sharing a living situation, whether we buy or rent, for the foreseeable future.

My FIL is upset we plan to live together as we can afford separate homes. He complains that people will think we are unsuccessful and he was poor. He wants Marvin and I to inherit the family home, John and Diana to pay off her student loans and buy a home nearby, and Daniel to use what would have been student loan payments without his college fund towards a third home in the area.

John, Diana, Martin, and I are minimalists with no intention of each raising a single child in a three story house. Daniel is young and has ideas of travel after college, which he'll likely accomplish.

This issue is definitely going to come up at Christmas so I'd appreciate any input on how to approach and resolve this family matter.

TL;DR: FIL wanted sons and family to decide how to split inheritance before he writes a new will, isn't happy with our decision, how should we handle it?

Also, FIL has had three heart attacks and wants to return to his home country to die while he's still able to, physically and medically. Also, he's writing the will himself, with no background in law.

[it's Solomon who was going to cut a baby in half, right? Sunday school is a long time ago for me.]​

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

value-brand cereal posted:

Strip down to you're undies and grind your gentinals on the coffee table. Be sure to never break eye contact.

Gibbis, get your Solomon sword's out. How will you divide this baby (the baby is a house)?

My husband's [4 years] father [67m] told his three sons [35m, 25m, 17m] to decide how to split their eventual inheritance. He isn't happy with the decision everyone reached and wants another solution.Non-Romantic

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/5juq01/my_husbands_4_years_father_67m_told_his_three/

Also, FIL has had three heart attacks and wants to return to his home country to die while he's still able to, physically and medically. Also, he's writing the will himself, with no background in law.

[it's Solomon who was going to cut a baby in half, right? Sunday school is a long time ago for me.]​

This is so stupid.

Just sell everything. Split three ways. Done.

No one is going to be 100% happy with any solution so you might as well go the least painful route and give everyone a stack of cash and let them gently caress that poo poo up on their own.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

he's actually a lot like pete, but without the human qualities or empathy

dark pete

Hes pete with a goatee. Nega Pete. Reverse Pete.

Ah, how good to see you, Pete, but youre running out of time. Do you save the mayor or do you save the inventor? Its not an ultimatum Pete, just a choice.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Milotic posted:

Sorry about your garbage husband with broken brains:

Husband [29m] doesn't like that I [25f] breastfeed for some reason. He's very critical of everything I do with baby and I don't know how to handle it ?

Breast is so much less hassle than having to sterilise and make sure milk is fresh. Also healthier for the child.

FYI it's not actually healthier

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Tell pops you will do as he says and let him get all pissy when he's dead. I think the mutually agreed idea will work well and it has the benefit of making the entire family as a whole richer, because all the costs of extra houses are avoided. it even becomes a bit of a money maker while avoiding "dick bag outside landlordism" because they fuckin live in it too and would presumably not be scumbags since they have a direct interest that isn't just how much money the place makes.

Pops just thinks it makes him look bad when he should be pleased he's basically secured the whole family's situation for the foreseeable future.

Next generation could probably come up with a another good solution, seeing as how they came up with a good agreement pretty easy, or use the place as a rental and split the money or sell sell or whatever. Having a nice family home like that solves a ton of problems and it'll continue being a good family asset to have, even if the market caves in, right? It's good for kids to know you cold always fall back to the old house if you gently caress up.

Imo pops is concerned about how his legacy and life is gonna be viewed, but he's not looking into a far enough future to see how much these guys really appreciate it.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

QuarkJets posted:

World Health Organisation disagrees: http://www.who.int/features/factfiles/breastfeeding/en/

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Jealous of breastfeeding dad is a piece of poo poo. If he was just a little weirded out by it (which would still be dumb and wrong) then he wouldn't also be criticizing every other thing about how she cares for the baby. She should tell him to shape up or leave.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It came from Ask a Manager:

A job application asked me to rank if torturing a person was worse than prostitution

quote:

I’m trying to change fields from copywriting freelancer to something in the admin assistance sphere. It could be that my greenness is showing, but is it typical for applications to ask you to rate atrocities?

After submitting a resume and cover letter, I was directed to fill in an online form. The form started with asking me to rank traits from most to least like me. I’ll admit I kind of rolled my eyes, but I did it.

Then we got to a very long list where I had to rate items from best to worst. These items included things like “a blunder,” “prostitution,” “justice,” “a telephone,” “poisoning the town’s water supply,” “a good idea,” “torturing a person,” “receiving a medal for bravery,” “a lover’s embrace,” and more.

I had no idea what to do, and I also felt that this is basically some pseudoscience masked as smart interviewing. If I said “imprisoning an innocent person” was worse than “torturing a person,” I don’t know that I’d be a better or worse admin assistant than someone who swapped those. Is there any merit to this method? Was there some secret right combination that wouldn’t make this company think I’m a terrible person?

P.S. I’m adding a screenshot to this email just to prove that I’m not making this up.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Haifisch posted:

A job application asked me to rank if torturing a person was worse than prostitution

Well???

I really would love to see the reply this person got because LOL.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
We are all prostitutes if you think about it.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

Whatever, Enfamil rep :rolleyes:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Unfortunately, the WHO has a regrettable history of endorsing poorly-supported ideas (although they endorse well-supported ideas, too!). Much of the modern literature on breastfeeding finds spurious effects that only appear when the most laxadaisical statistical approaches are employed. Here's an article going over some of the more egregious issues, many of which are present in the sources that the WHO cites
https://www.google.com/amp/s/fivethirtyeight.com/features/everybody-calm-down-about-breastfeeding/amp/

My own son is almost 2 now, and I spent the first several months before his birth pouring through the literature on breastfeeding after trying to cross-check some of the more miraculous claims made on mommy blogs. What I found was utterly shocking. I had fully bought into the idea that breastfeeding actually did have many benefits, but my bullshit alarm led me to discover that nearly all of them were poorly founded. At this time, it seems like any observed benefits of breastfeeding are 100 replicatable by using a clean water source and holding your baby in a breastfeeding pose while using a bottle, ie skin to skin in a loving embrace.

e: For the record, my wife wanted to breastfeed for awhile but decided to stop after going back to work. I was fine with whatever she wanted to do, because that's her choice. The lack of measurable benefit was comforting though

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 1, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Haifisch posted:

What about getting a medal for torturing a person? Or is that only on Gina Haspels application?

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost
I think torturing is worst. Prostitution should be legal in my opinion.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

QuarkJets posted:

Unfortunately, the WHO has a regrettable history of endorsing poorly-supported ideas (although they endorse well-supported ideas, too!). Much of the modern literature on breastfeeding finds spurious effects that only appear when the most laxadaisical statistical approaches are employed. Here's an article going over some of the more egregious issues, many of which are present in the sources that the WHO cites
https://www.google.com/amp/s/fivethirtyeight.com/features/everybody-calm-down-about-breastfeeding/amp/

My own son is almost 2 now, and I spent the first several months before his birth pouring through the literature on breastfeeding after trying to cross-check some of the more miraculous claims made on mommy blogs. As a physicist by trade, working in a discipline where statistical rigor is paramount, what I found was utterly shocking. I had fully bought into the idea that breastfeeding actually did have many benefits, but my bullshit alarm led me to discover that nearly all of them were poorly founded. At this time, it seems like any observed benefits of breastfeeding are 100 replicatable by using a clean water source and holding your baby in a breastfeeding pose while using a bottle, ie skin to skin in a loving embrace.

Lmao the physicist is more smarterer than the inferior brains of, medicine

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost
Most engineers I know are way smarter than doctors.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
having knowledge in one area means that you are inherently more knowledgeable in other areas? Stem people are the absolute loving worst about this, hence ostensibly intelligent people investing in bitcoins and other loving nonsense. Because everybody else is stupid, because you’re so smart, mommy said so

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

It's an administrative assistant job, so they'll probably hire the candidate who ranked prostitution the highest, unless the job is with the CIA, then they'll pick whoever ranked torture highest.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

QuarkJets posted:

My own son is almost 2 now, and I spent the first several months before his birth pouring through the literature on breastfeeding after trying to cross-check some of the more miraculous claims made on mommy blogs. As a physicist by trade, working in a discipline where statistical rigor is paramount, what I found was utterly shocking. I had fully bought into the idea that breastfeeding actually did have many benefits, but my bullshit alarm led me to discover that nearly all of them were poorly founded. At this time, it seems like any observed benefits of breastfeeding are 100 replicatable by using a clean water source and holding your baby in a breastfeeding pose while using a bottle, ie skin to skin in a loving embrace.

As you can imagine, in a whole shitload of the world this is nigh impossible and breastfeeding is best. Even in the US you can pop out a boob for feeding but if you pop off your shirt to bottle feed you're going to get some weird looks. Since the WHO is for, y'know, the world and not just Europe and the US their recommendation is apt.

The mommy blog hype over breastfeeding making you a superior mom is gross but given the availability of quality fresh water worldwide it really is "better" for most babies. In an area of the US or Europe where infrastructure isn't an outdated joke and you can stay home to bottle feed, sure, yeah, there's no statistically significant difference.

therobit posted:

Jealous of breastfeeding dad is a piece of poo poo. If he was just a little weirded out by it (which would still be dumb and wrong) then he wouldn't also be criticizing every other thing about how she cares for the baby. She should tell him to shape up or leave.

Especially because his wife is literally a midwife

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Frankly they want the person that ranks typographical errors as being worse than baby murder

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pick posted:

Lmao the physicist is more smarterer than the inferior brains of, medicine

That's not what I'm saying; doctors who actually give a poo poo have criticized these studies for the same reasons that I am: they are sloppily conducted and seem to be trying to put the cart before the horse

The_end
May 17, 2014

Haifisch posted:

I had to take something similar to this. It felt a lot like astrology when i had to read the results.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

having knowledge in one area means that you are inherently more knowledgeable in other areas? Stem people are the absolute loving worst about this, hence ostensibly intelligent people investing in bitcoins and other loving nonsense.

Nah, i meant as in the capacity for extreme intelligence. Like, I can remember what someone was wearing like two months later down to the last detail. Or remembering a few dozen complicated formulas. Or building a house or a dam/dike. poo poo that requires alot of thought.

That said, there are alot of doctors that run circles around me intelligence wise. Just saying.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

13Pandora13 posted:

As you can imagine, in a whole shitload of the world this is nigh impossible and breastfeeding is best. Even in the US you can pop out a boob for feeding but if you pop off your shirt to bottle feed you're going to get some weird looks. Since the WHO is for, y'know, the world and not just Europe and the US their recommendation is apt.

The mommy blog hype over breastfeeding making you a superior mom is gross but given the availability of quality fresh water worldwide it really is "better" for most babies. In an area of the US or Europe where infrastructure isn't an outdated joke and you can stay home to bottle feed, sure, yeah, there's no statistically significant difference.

Especially because his wife is literally a midwife

Absolutely! In areas with lovely water the benefits of breastfeeding are unsurprising,and those benefits actually are well-supported. I'm just pointing out that when you have clean water and feed in a similar way, suddenly the benefits go away...

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The overall smartest people I’ve ever met were sales people, certainly not all sales people or to be taken as representative of sales people, but man you should see high-end commercial sales. Some smart loving people in that

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Nap Ghost
Should have been a lawyer tbh. Could talk the stripes of a zebra.

Depends on what type of sales tbh. I think that sales people are extremely emotionally intelligent as in they know how to find what a person's weakness and exploit it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

if bottle feeding is equivalent in the best case scenario and worse in the worst case scenario then it sure sounds like breastfeeding is better to me

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pick posted:

having knowledge in one area means that you are inherently more knowledgeable in other areas? Stem people are the absolute loving worst about this, hence ostensibly intelligent people investing in bitcoins and other loving nonsense. Because everybody else is stupid, because you’re so smart, mommy said so

Doctors are arguably the largest contingent of stem and just as commonly guilty of this very real effect. However, that is not what is happening here.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

if bottle feeding is equivalent in the best case scenario and worse in the worst case scenario then it sure sounds like breastfeeding is better to me

On average, sure. The point though is that we're making a lot of mothers who aren't able to breastfeed feel lovely over that even when breastfeeding would make no difference to the health of their babies

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

Doctors are arguably the largest contingent of stem and just as commonly guilty of this very real effect. However, that is not what is happening here.

I think you're missing their point though - you touted your background as if it made you more authoritative on the subject when it was irrelevant to the idea you were trying to convey in both subject matter expertise and the argument at hand. If you remove the sentence about your education/work, nothing else about the story changes, you just come off as show-offish like we're supposed to cede to your credibility.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I'm glad that Quarkjets is bringing the same tiresome pedantry he does in the crypto thread to relationships, thanks dude :hellyeah:

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Nap Ghost

13Pandora13 posted:

I think you're missing their point though - you touted your background as if it made you more authoritative on the subject when it was irrelevant to the idea you were trying to convey in both subject matter expertise and the argument at hand. If you remove the sentence about your education/work, nothing else about the story changes, you just come off as show-offish like we're supposed to cede to your credibility.

I believe in laymen's terms that means: talking out your rear end.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

13Pandora13 posted:

An understanding of statistics is actually super important for spotting the kinds of flaws raised in the 538 article that I linked to, but fine whatever, I'll go edit it out.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Nap Ghost

QuarkJets posted:

An understanding of statistics is actually super important for spotting the kinds of flaws raised in the 538 article that I linked to, but fine whatever, I'll go edit it out.

You're good man. We all open the cheeks every once in a while and let the ole chicken eye speak for a minute.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

An understanding that medicine and epidemiology have to account for human (societal circumstances that would allow for topless bottle feeding) and environmental circumstances (consistent availability of fresh water) outside of hard numbers is super important for understanding how medical guidelines are established as well.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

MarcusSA posted:

Well???

I really would love to see the reply this person got because LOL.
Confusion, mostly:

http://www.askamanager.org/2018/02/a-job-application-asked-me-to-rank-if-torturing-a-person-was-worse-than-prostitution.html posted:

I … am stumped.

I mean, I feel confident that “receiving a medal for bravery” is better than “poisoning the town’s water supply” or “torturing a person,” but yeah, the idea of using this to hire people is absurd.

Personality and character tests for jobs have been around for a long time and have long been of questionable utility, but they’re usually the tamer “true or false: everyone steals office supplies” brand of stupidity than this.

The_end posted:

It felt a lot like astrology when i had to read the results.
I'm pretty sure that's most job application 'tests' that don't directly measure job skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Salty Josh posted:

You're good man. We all open the cheeks every once in a while and let the ole chicken eye speak for a minute.

Thanks. At first I was concerned that I was talking to a crowd that was employing antivax-levels of "blindly trust anyone who tells you what you want to believe" but it seems like maybe that's not the case