Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Eluvietie may be up there now after replacing half the band again in 2015 or whenever the 3 that make up Cellar Darling left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

KozmoNaut posted:

Leave it to the Finns to create a symphonic concept album masterpiece about a family of cartoon ducks.

Well, the real masterpiece is the graphic novel

Henchman of Santa posted:

Only metal adjacent but check Shai Hulud’s Wikipedia page

a great band

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 4, 2018

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I've heard the guys from Annihilator are huge pieces of poo poo but when you create Alison Hell you have reign to do whatever.

What wordplay.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Jeff Waters is a pretty chill guy afaik. He just treats the band as something he owns and does whatever he wants with it.

I see nothing wrong with that, except the fact that nearly half of his albums are uninspired and meh

But he's a regular guitar god, no doubt about that

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Stratovarius must be up there for wacky lineup changes.

Bring back Miss K

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'm pretty sure Incantation leads the way in terms of band members.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Rainbow is up there

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Rainbow_band_members

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Killingyouguy! posted:

Hey metal thread, I hope you can help me out here. I'm looking for music that sucks, particularly music that sucks a lot and in a very particular way.

What else sounds like The Kovenant's Animatronic? I want that 'it's 1999 and The Matrix is the best thing to ever happen to me' sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjLvDTmEb98

Their other albums don't scratch this itch quite right.
You probably want The Project Hate MCMXCIX's Cybersonic Superchrist but I can't find anything of this album streaming anywhere, not even YouTube.

Check out Peter Tagtgren's Pain project though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=067YF8KHdTM

Also the collaboration he did with Till Lindemann from Rammstein:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTFa57xMhbw

e: this lovely Semargl video hasn't been posted in awhile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sax-BlhYHus

KozmoNaut posted:

Well, Jon Schaffer is also kinda special ;)

I mean, there's a whole Wikipedia page detailing current and former members of Iced Earth. That must be some kind of record.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Iced_Earth_band_members
My favorite part is Brent Smedley's four separate stints with the band

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 4, 2018

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

KozmoNaut posted:

Well, Jon Schaffer is also kinda special ;)

I mean, there's a whole Wikipedia page detailing current and former members of Iced Earth. That must be some kind of record.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Iced_Earth_band_members

I'm just glad I got to see then when they were arguably at their peak, when they were touring for Horror Show. I saw them a few months before Barlow left the first time. That hair was magical and I was pretty sad he chopped it all off.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

CornHolio posted:

I'm just glad I got to see then when they were arguably at their peak, when they were touring for Horror Show. I saw them a few months before Barlow left the first time. That hair was magical and I was pretty sad he chopped it all off.

:lol: he left the band to become a cop because of 9/11.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

CornHolio posted:

That was my first legit metal show, back at the WWF New York with In Flames and Jag Panzer. Barlow had an unbelievable stage presence back then.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Jag Panzer, hell yeah

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Vulture Culture posted:

this lovely Semargl video hasn't been posted in awhile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sax-BlhYHus

I forgot these guys existed, so thanks for that.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Vargatron posted:

I ordered Liquid Anatomy from the Season of Mist store, and they sent me a copy of Erathems by Cronian. Looks to be a side project of Mr. V and Oystein G Brun. Holy gently caress this is a nice freebie.

Hah! I got mine today with a CD copy of The Gathering's The West Pole? The sleeve looks like a Steven Wilson / Porcupine Tree album art. What am in store for? Some sort prog-rock/metal debauchery?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Oldstench posted:

:lol: he left the band to become a cop because of 9/11.

Yeah I saw them and Megadeth about a month after 9/11. It was pretty intense when Mustaine brought out a flying V decked out in the stars and stripes for Holy War. Redneck 'Murica rural Indiana went apeshit for that.

I think the Rude Awakening DVD was filmed within a few days of me seeing that show and I still love watching it because it was such a great show. A few months later Barlow was out of Iced Earth and Mustaine had injured his hands and couldn't play guitar.

edit: I saw them 11/3/01, the DVD was filmed 11/17/01, the following January was his hand injury. Barlow left Iced Earth in 2003.

My wife got to see Megadeth on the Cryptic Writings tour :mad:

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 4, 2018

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

CornHolio posted:

My wife got to see Megadeth on the Cryptic Writings tour :mad:

That was a strange album. Not weird like Risk weird, but still...they didn't really do anything like that before or after.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

That was a strange album. Not weird like Risk weird, but still...they didn't really do anything like that before or after.

it was pretty much a continuation of youthanasia with dave trying to write radio tunes then giving up 2/3 of the way through and that tendency has plagued their songwriting ever since

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

The Muppets On PCP posted:

it was pretty much a continuation of youthanasia with dave trying to write radio tunes then giving up 2/3 of the way through and that tendency has plagued their songwriting ever since

For the most part, I like Youthanasia and Cryptic Writings. I can always toss on Reckoning Day or Use the Man and they put a smile on my face.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The new Kataklysm is extremely good and cool, that's my hot take

Opps! Sorry buddy, but you misspelled Ghost.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
I don’t think anything tops The Faceless, currently on their 14th drummer. Lol Keene is a human being.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

To Battle posted:

I don’t think anything tops The Faceless, currently on their 14th drummer. Lol Keene is a human being.

:wow:

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Dunno if any of you bought from that grip of Distant in Solitary Nights that were found by Ascension, but mine just shipped and I'm really questioning it's authenticity.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Hah! I got mine today with a CD copy of The Gathering's The West Pole? The sleeve looks like a Steven Wilson / Porcupine Tree album art. What am in store for? Some sort prog-rock/metal debauchery?

You're in for some pleasant prog rock. The replacement for Anneke does an admirable job but it's a mid-tier Gathering album at best. Last track is the best.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

CornHolio posted:

For the most part, I like Youthanasia and Cryptic Writings. I can always toss on Reckoning Day or Use the Man and they put a smile on my face.

Same, but add Train of Consequences.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Youtubes will continue until morale improves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF5i0ftx9Qc

This is USPM from France. Basically the French Jag Panzer, except they split up after just one iffy album instead of however many Jag Panzer have racked up by now

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Nazzadan posted:

Dunno if any of you bought from that grip of Distant in Solitary Nights that were found by Ascension, but mine just shipped and I'm really questioning it's authenticity.

99% sure you got ripped bud.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Oldstench posted:

99% sure you got ripped bud.

It's looking 50/50. The jackets are definitely fake but apparently the source is legit and was given that amount of copies to sell back in the day and apparently never did. Oh well, if I'm only out 30 for a boot of an album I like so be it. Might just be legit wax in a fake jacket.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Nazzadan posted:

It's looking 50/50. The jackets are definitely fake but apparently the source is legit and was given that amount of copies to sell back in the day and apparently never did. Oh well, if I'm only out 30 for a boot of an album I like so be it. Might just be legit wax in a fake jacket.

Why would they sell this for $30 or whatever when it routinely sells for >$120?

Plus there were only 100 black copies ever pressed. Just seems a bit fishy.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Oldstench posted:

Why would they sell this for $30 or whatever when it routinely sells for >$120?

Plus there were only 100 black copies ever pressed. Just seems a bit fishy.

It seems extremely fishy and I wouldn't at all be surprised if they're boots. But if they're good fakes then I'll be happy as long as they aren't just falling apart in a paper jacket. I just wonder if and when it turns out they are fake how it will effect the JI represses they are going forward with.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Congratulations on getting ripped off by Blake Judd.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Thank you, do I get a members jacket

Edit: Blake never shipped my members jacket but kept the paypal invoice

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 5, 2018

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Nazzadan posted:

I just wonder if and when it turns out they are fake how it will effect the JI represses they are going forward with.

They'll do them anyway and people will probably still buy them for whatever reason

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
sorry nerds ghost rules and ghost covering leonard cohen rules even more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1yzo4dCw4Q

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I love ghost but the new one is pretty disappointing outside of the singles

An intro track and 2 mostly uninspired instrumental tracks out of a total of 10 doesn't help. I did dig the sax in the one instrumental but eh their previous 3 records were a lot better

Maybe it'll grow on me like Meliora did

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

Vintersorg posted:

I've heard the guys from Annihilator are huge pieces of poo poo but when you create Alison Hell you have reign to do whatever.

What wordplay.

Ehh, the fact that those dudes are the type of guys who take unknown bands on tour, charging them ridiculously exorbitant buy-on fees for the "privilege" of opening for Annihilator pretty much shits on whatever goodwill they might have built from that first album.

I mean it's also on the bands somewhat for agreeing to pay, but it's still kind of a scumbag thing to do.

Gorewar fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 5, 2018

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
hard to believe annihilator are big enough to warrant an ozzfest style pay-to-play scam

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Muppets On PCP posted:

hard to believe annihilator are big enough to warrant an ozzfest style pay-to-play scam

It's probably less "they're as big as Ozzy" and more "they're bigger than us and we're VERY naive"

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
A few people I know who are guitarists go crazy for Annihilator. I don’t get the appeal. I mean, it’s by no means bad music, but it’s practically their favorite band. Maybe it’s a guitar thing because it sounds pretty aggressively mixed, but even so, the songs seem to my decrepit ears like a fairly generic collection of three or for riffs strung together.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
annihilator always seemed like they were one headband away from cockrock and not in a good way.

never understood the rabid fanbase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

click 4 good death metal