Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Nothing bad that happens to them will sway them because they just have so much confidence in Trump. They can't explain it, like he's a confidence man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah
Mar 16, 2009

what is even the point of having elections

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
--Albert Einstein

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I like the man infamous for stiffing his contractors because he respects the small businessman.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

VitalSigns posted:

I like the man infamous for stiffing his contractors because he respects the small businessman.

You know as well as I do that respecting white men means hating minorities. It makes them feel so special

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the best part about trump's history of stiffing contractors is that he only paid them part of their fees. so, they got wise real dang fast and started drastically overcharging him for everything while trump gloated about how good at business he is.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

this is the Moderate Republican Small Business Owner that the dems have spent the last two decades and change trying to convince to vote for them and he never will

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It would be funny how easy it is to con and ruin dumb white people just by buttering them up a little by telling them how special they are if the consequences only affected them instead of destroying the republic.

Wait scratch that it's still funny.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Pick posted:

w.... what

running a business is more about being able to control people than making money.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the best part about trump's history of stiffing contractors is that he only paid them part of their fees. so, they got wise real dang fast and started drastically overcharging him for everything while trump gloated about how good at business he is.

i've heard a lot contractors will forget all about how you've been stiffing them if you can keep their anger focused on uppity NFL players

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

Shear Modulus posted:

this is the Moderate Republican Small Business Owner that the dems have spent the last two decades and change trying to convince to vote for them and he never will

Yea but I bet that guy doesn't know TRUMP MADE GAS PRICES GO UP

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

zegermans posted:

running a small business is more about being able to control people than making money.

fixed

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

zegermans posted:

running a business is more about being able to control people than making money.

Can’t control people without money.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

VitalSigns posted:

It would be funny how easy it is to con and ruin dumb white people just by buttering them up a little by telling them how special they are if the consequences only affected them instead of destroying the republic.

Wait scratch that it's still funny.

Welcome to the Sean Hannity Show!

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Burt Sexual posted:

Can’t control people without money.

at the affordable price of only $7.25 an hour

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
honestly convenience store clerk positions where only one guy's manning the store look 10 times more dignifying than any small business job where the owner decides to take part in active daily routine (read: ordering people around even when the work that needs to be done is already their ingrained routine)

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean
welp

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/in-rural-america-tightened-access-to-medicaid-means-tough-choices

quote:

In March, Casey Britton fed her two 13-page Medicaid renewal applications into an ancient fax machine in Linden, Tennessee’s career center before the state’s March 31 deadline. But on April 30, the state sent her a letter, saying it reviewed her paperwork and had decided she didn’t qualify anymore. Their coverage would end May 21, the letter read.

On most days, even with Medicaid, Britton feels like she’s struggling to raise her two sons, ages 2 and 5, and get them the care they need. Without it, even the most basic medical care would become unaffordable.

Politicians have promised to improve life for people in Tennessee and across rural America. At his Tuesday campaign rally in Nashville, President Donald Trump told the crowd that “wages are going up, and they’re going up fast. The forgotten men and women of our country are no longer forgotten.”

Britton isn’t as optimistic. Backers of the Medicaid work requirements, an idea supported by the Trump administration, say requiring people to work will help move them out of poverty, and in turn, make them healthier.

Health care advocates say work requirements will deny health care to people already vulnerable to the slightest shift in their economic equation, meaning they are more likely to neglect chronic conditions, end up in emergency rooms more often and ultimately cost the system more money.

Britton doesn’t think the change will help her, either. Right now, she doesn’t work full-time; she raises her sons while her husband works in Nashville. Now that her sons are reaching school age, she has more time for a job outside the home, but there aren’t a lot of opportunities, she said. She has a GED and wants to go to cosmetology school to become a hair stylist, but hasn’t been able to come up with the money for tuition. And the issues she had with her Medicaid application, along with the fact that she has no dental coverage, left her feeling concerned about the future, she said.

“It don’t seem like the Medicaid’s getting any better,” Britton said. “It seems like they’re trying to cut more and more people off that honestly need it and keeping more people on there that don’t need it.”

I wonder who she thinks those people are?

quote:

To reach Britton’s double-wide trailer, you drive past two sawmills — among Linden’s leading employers — where lumber trucks haul 60-foot-long pine logs to cut down into support beams for homes and businesses outside Perry County.

Down a dirt driveway and through the open screen door, the first thing you see is a Confederate battle flag on the living room wall, hanging over a chocolate brown corduroy couch.

oh

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Every now and then I wonder why The Dukes of Hazzard doesn't get remade for TV. But then I'm all, "Oh, right. The car is really racist."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's so aggravating how well that works.

"Black people are stealing all the welfare that I deserve!"
*votes for Republicans who turn around and kick me off what little welfare I'm on*
"See I knew it!"
*votes Republican forever*

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

VitalSigns posted:

It's so aggravating how well that works.

"Black people are stealing all the welfare that I deserve!"
*votes for Republicans who turn around and kick me off what little welfare I'm on*
"See I knew it!"
*votes Republican forever*

It's amazing that she has any time to conceive of any political thoughts at all.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Zeroisanumber posted:

Every now and then I wonder why The Dukes of Hazzard doesn't get remade for TV. But then I'm all, "Oh, right. The car is really racist."

they put the flag on for the 2005 movie too

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
the best dukes of hazzard remake was Tarantino’s “Death Proof” :colbert:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dukes of hazzard wasn't racist because it existed in a bizarre universe where no black people lived in the south.

oh, what's that? i have just been informed that this concept is actually incredibly racist.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Eventually the republicans will have killed all the people who voted them in and those states will change

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Jose posted:

Eventually the republicans will have killed all the people who voted them in and those states will change

Mr. Glass half full right here.

CzarStark
Dec 23, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Jose posted:

AHhaahahahahahahahaha

lol

Can I have some of what you're on? Mine isn't working so good.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jose posted:

Nah just ban abortion and contraception for the poor to replenish their numbers.

Just a look back at the turn of the 20th century will show you that the kind of misery and deprivation that wrecks you by your thirties can coexist with an exploding underclass population. The trick is to make sure they're too focused on hating the even poorer black family down the street to figure out who is actually stealing all the money.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zeroisanumber posted:

I never wonder about that, but I do wonder why there hasn't been a new A-Team.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

I never wonder about that, but I do wonder why there hasn't been a new A-Team.

just like dukes of hazzard there was a new a-team, just it was a movie instead of a show

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

dukes of hazzard wasn't racist because it existed in a bizarre universe where no black people lived in the south.

oh, what's that? i have just been informed that this concept is actually incredibly racist.

dunno, it would've been even more bizarre if a southern sheriff spent all his time harassing two good 'ol boys in a county where black people existed

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

CzarStark posted:

AHhaahahahahahahahaha

lol

Can I have some of what you're on? Mine isn't working so good.

killing everyone everywhere counts as changing the states

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

a county where black people existed
Yeah, funny thing about Hazzard County...

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Jose posted:

wow jose didnt know you were a subscriber to the dems' Demographics Are Destiny school of thought

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i went through a mr. t and a-team phase as a kid and learned from my mom that one of my old white uncles from the deep south who died when i was little also loved the a team but that he liked the white guy who was the leader of the team and the idea that someone would watch the show for any character who wasnt mr t blew my mind

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Shear Modulus posted:

i went through a mr. t and a-team phase as a kid and learned from my mom that one of my old white uncles from the deep south who died when i was little also loved the a team but that he liked the white guy who was the leader of the team and the idea that someone would watch the show for any character who wasnt mr t blew my mind

I loved Mr. T and Hannibal and sometimes Murdoch but I thought that Face was dumb. Sometimes I was all "I pity the fool!" but other times I would make like I had a cigar in my teeth and would smile a lot.

And sometimes I just yelled weird poo poo out loud because I was a kid and Murdoch got to do that so why not me?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Zeroisanumber posted:

I loved Mr. T and Hannibal and sometimes Murdoch but I thought that Face was dumb. Sometimes I was all "I pity the fool!" but other times I would make like I had a cigar in my teeth and would smile a lot.

And sometimes I just yelled weird poo poo out loud because I was a kid and Murdoch got to do that so why not me?

the show having the comic relief character being a war-scarred vietnam vet driven insane by ptsd was really loving 80s

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Shear Modulus posted:

the show having the comic relief character being a war-scarred vietnam vet driven insane by ptsd was really loving 80s

Then he showed up on Star Trek. 80's-90's were weird as gently caress.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Lol that's right, Mr. Barclay. I saw him on a few Voyager shows. My guilty pleasure of the late 90's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

The whole premise can be summed up as a group of guys ruined by a corrupt military being hiried as mercenaries to fight against corrupt local law enforcement.

The reason The A-Team can't be remade now I'm that it makes the military and cops look bad.