Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I still really like the first Hellboy and Perlman kills it in the second, but The Golden Army is just an over-directed, bloated mess that reaches far beyond its grasp. About the only thing that rang true was the design and the subplot of Abe Sapien falling in love with the princess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

No it isn't. At all.

Yeah it's not good, it's great

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

drunken officeparty posted:

Is that the vampire movie with either the guy from the Aunty Donna comedy group or someone who looks amazingly like him? That’s been on my list for a while.

Yes. It's one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Well, it's the vampire movie I have no idea what Aunty Donna is.

I'm not big on Marvel, but I"m definitely looking forward to Thor because of him.

Speaking of, the Wilderpeople kid is one of the main characters in Deadpool 2 I wonder if Taika Waititi had anything to do with that.

E: whoops. Whole page I missed. Oh well.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

drunken officeparty posted:

Watchmen is the only superhero movie you can also call a “good movie” just in general.

I will keep posting this gif until the end of time

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is that from that hulk movie from the early 2000's that Marvel tried to bury? That looks terrible.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Ang Lee's Hulk owns.

Someone here once called it "the most quiet, thoughtful movie ever made about a big green man who hits things" and it's spot-on.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't remember anything about the movie the CGI just looks real bad.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The emotional climax of that movie is actually extremely good and the framing and scene transitions are something you don't see in any other comic book movies. Which is extra funny considering how much people bag on the MCU for being bland and uninteresting.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Is that from that hulk movie from the early 2000's that Marvel tried to bury? That looks terrible.

The one Marvel tried to bury is their own MCU Hulk movie with Edward Norton and the RDJ cameo at the end. They basically forgot about it until the continuity-obsessed Russo brothers brought Thunderbolt Ross back for Civil War.

The MCU really ignores most of Hulk supporting characters in their movies. Betsy Ross and The Leader have not been mentioned since that movie, Abomination only gets a mention in a one-shot, Amadeus Cho's mother was in Avengers 2 but Amadeus himself is nowhere to be seen, and General Talbot became a character on Agents of SHIELD.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
A lot of people who are too smart for Marvel movies ITT
Happy to bask in their glory.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
HOT TAKE: The CGI from a 15 year old movie might be a bit spotty!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
But the CGI from a 10-year-old movie, like Iron Man, is still OK.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Monglo posted:

A lot of people who are too smart for Marvel movies ITT
Happy to bask in their glory.

They're pretty much the only movies I go to see in the theaters these days. Just about everything else can wait for video.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
wrong thread

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

But the CGI from a 10-year-old movie, like Iron Man, is still OK.

... is it?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

The MSJ posted:

The MCU really ignores most of Hulk supporting characters in their movies.

Isn't this cause Universal has the film rights to Hulk so Marvel would have to pay to make another/use their own characters so they said gently caress it instead?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, I re-watched it recently and was pleasantly OK with it. It's a robot suit, a bit more difficult to hit "uncanny valley" than neon-green flesh.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Ang Lee was very deliberate in having the Hulk be kinda cartoony, it actually helps the movie hold up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
As much as I like the Ed Norton Hulk movie, I'm really glad that they got Mark Ruffalo in the end because he is a fantastic Dr. Banner.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I maintain that Ruffalo’s Banner is boring as poo poo and has only been good in Ragnarok. Norton’s portrayal had flaws, but it was a far more interesting take on the character.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The emotional climax of that movie is actually extremely good and the framing and scene transitions are something you don't see in any other comic book movies. Which is extra funny considering how much people bag on the MCU for being bland and uninteresting.

You are spot on.

And it had legit interesting character development, way better than the usual marvel movie.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I maintain that Ruffalo’s Banner is boring as poo poo and has only been good in Ragnarok. Norton’s portrayal had flaws, but it was a far more interesting take on the character.

I agree. I think he was good as conflicted Banner in Avengers overall, but he's just a vehicle for the Hulk. The later self interactions, eh, don't really enjoy that and thought Norton was better overall.

Though I also fully expected them to Peter David the Hulk in Infinity War and merge the two, Hulk body with Banner brain and personality.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I guess Ruffalo Banner has really only been good in Ragnarok and Infinity War, but he's real good in those two, and those are the two most recent, so I like the direction overall.

Plus he just looks more like Bruce than Ed Norton did :colbert:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

This Hulk talk made me wonder, does Ruffalo do the Hulk voice and they just alter it? Or is it just some random guy doing Hulk voice. I never thought about it before.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

LadyPictureShow posted:

This Hulk talk made me wonder, does Ruffalo do the Hulk voice and they just alter it? Or is it just some random guy doing Hulk voice. I never thought about it before.

He does it now but in the Norton movie it was Lou Ferigno

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I thought Lou Ferrigno still plays the Hulk.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

No comic book movie villain has ever been as inspired as Nick Nolte in Hulk.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Rewatched Hulk last night. It's still awesome. One thing that stood out this time are the long stretches of silence where Hulk is thinking or where Hulk and Betty are just looking at each other. You don't really get that in recent super hero films.

I also forgot about Josh Lucas and his amazing death.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I thought it was very *~true to the character~* that Hulk was NOT a brute, and mostly wanted to be left alone.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

LadyPictureShow posted:

Unmature posted:

He does it now but in the Norton movie it was Lou Ferigno

Bongo Bill posted:

I thought Lou Ferrigno still plays the Hulk.

Lou Ferrigno played Hulk in The Avengers and Age of Ultron. Ruffalo began voicing him starting with Thor Ragnarok, which makes sense as he actually began saying more than "HULK SMASH" in that movie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

They actually blended Ferrigno's voice with Ruffalo's in Avengers and Age of Ultron. He was the sole voice of the Hulk in The Incredible Hulk. Deadline reported originally that Ferrigno was also doing a voice composite for Ragnarok but I don't know that it's ever been confirmed.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
What is even the point of having Ferrigno do it besides an Easter Egg

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

So he doesn’t starve to death since King of Queens ended.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I got the notification that The Staircase was added to Netflix. I would recommend it for people who like true crime documentaries.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Tainen posted:

I got the notification that The Staircase was added to Netflix. I would recommend it for people who like true crime documentaries.

I can't believe it's almost 13 hours long. There is a Dateline episode that tells the same story very adequately in less than 2.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sock The Great posted:

I can't believe it's almost 13 hours long. There is a Dateline episode that tells the same story very adequately in less than 2.

If you can believe it there's a follow-up doc that's like 8 hours long.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I was watching Role Models on HBO's streaming catalogue and it holds up remarkably well which most things I liked in high school don't. It's one of those movies where half the stuff in the first half sets up a callback in the second half and it all comes together in a really fun way near the end that winds up being exciting hilarious and heartwarming.

There's a few jokes that haven't aged too well, but overall it's still as good now as I remembered it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Tainen posted:

It's a very compelling watch but is also extremely deceptively edited to push its viewpoint. When I read more about the case and the details left out of the series I was disgusted by how manipulative and deceitful it was.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thor Ragnarock was really enjoyable. At times it was hilarious. I think some of the cast didn't quite have the comedic timing to pull of some of the gags (which were mostly great) but that's about all I have to complain about. best marvel movie I've watched for sure. The blue rock dude was the best part of the movie.

E: just looked up his VA I guess that explains why he was so funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

tweet my meat posted:

I was watching Role Models on HBO's streaming catalogue and it holds up remarkably well which most things I liked in high school don't. It's one of those movies where half the stuff in the first half sets up a callback in the second half and it all comes together in a really fun way near the end that winds up being exciting hilarious and heartwarming.

There's a few jokes that haven't aged too well, but overall it's still as good now as I remembered it.

I agree, this is a good movie.

Another Paul Rudd comedy from around that time I think really holds up is I Love You, Man.