Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Hey, here's a pie in the sky idea.

When inserting a link to an img, check the image dimensions and timg it if its too big. Make it configurable.

Hard to know the image size when posting links to images on mobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

images don't break tables anymore nowadays and timg doesn't save any bandwidth so why bother?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

spankmeister posted:

images don't break tables anymore nowadays and timg doesn't save any bandwidth so why bother?

It doesn't break tables, but it dominates the thread and makes reading harder.

If you post a 5000px tall image in my forums, I will edit it and make it a timg.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

If you post a 5000px tall image in my forums, I will edit it and make it a timg.

:v:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 8, 2018

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lmao

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I have what I suspect is a corner case bug going on:
Let's say I'm reading a thread that has < 40 posts on the last page (page 1 for this example), I get to the last page and after reading for a while, I lock my phone.

While my phone is locked, more posts are made and the thread gets additional pages.

When I unlock my phone, the page of the thread I'm on does not refresh, but the pagecount at the bottom updates.

Once I get to the bottom of my page, I pull up to refresh and instead of getting dropped at the first unread post on page 1, I'm looking at the first post on page 2.

Has anyone else noticed that while reading fast-ish moving threads in the app?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ Yeahhhh it'll do that, as it works at the moment. The thread page itself doesn't refresh, but say it's a GBS thread and you have the GBS thread list open (or your bookmarks) and the thread is in there, that list will refresh and trigger a 'thread stats' update in the page view. So it sees there's an extra page, and pulling at the bottom of the thread will load the next page instead. So yes it's a bit messed up! I'm trying to rework how all that stuff operates so it'll get fixed at some point... maybe there's something we can do in the meantime though

Safest thing is if you want to reload the thread when you come back to it, hit the actual refresh button. Or go doh when the next page loads and go back to see what you missed, that's what I do

Thermopyle posted:

Hey, here's a pie in the sky idea.

When inserting a link to an img, check the image dimensions and timg it if its too big. Make it configurable.

Hard to know the image size when posting links to images on mobile.

This is probably a good idea! I'll add it to the list, it's a bit more complicated than the current "stick it in some tags" approach though

Internet Explorer posted:

Thank you for the Imgur integration, it's super convenient and helpful.

Cheers! I hope people are getting some use out of it, it's at the point where it's easier to post on mobile than on my laptop and that's just messed up

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 8, 2018

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Oh a beta update's gone out that should fix the "press the app icon to get back to what you were looking at" issue, sorry it took a while

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

baka kaba posted:

Oh a beta update's gone out that should fix the "press the app icon to get back to what you were looking at" issue, sorry it took a while

Thank you :toot:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

baka kaba posted:

Ta babs

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
How ancient a version of Android does Awful.apk work on? Also, what's the roadmap for version reqs?

Planning on buying an old cheap tablet to shitpost on, but I don't want to go too old.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Toshimo posted:

How ancient a version of Android does Awful.apk work on? Also, what's the roadmap for version reqs?

Planning on buying an old cheap tablet to shitpost on, but I don't want to go too old.

I would say anything that runs 5.0 + is probably a safe bet. Hell, the cheapass $40 tablet I got from Amazon to mount in my kitchen last year came with 6.0 on it.

Of course it was terrible and laggy as gently caress (don't buy a $40 tablet).

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

You currently need at least lollipop

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Cool, I was looking at this Lollipop one for $24: http://www.microcenter.com/product/486011/Android_Tablet_-_Black

Also, for running my board game apps on, which are fine with lollipop.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Please never make it require anything higher than 4.4

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

site posted:

Please never make it require anything higher than 4.4

oops

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
It worked fine for me on 4.4.4, except for post preview. (Just showed a blank 1px tall box).

E: oh but that was like two versions ago

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Android 2.3 or bust.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Hipster_Doofus posted:

It worked fine for me on 4.4.4, except for post preview. (Just showed a blank 1px tall box).

E: oh but that was like two versions ago

Yeah okay my tablet is 4.4.4 but i rounded down

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

This fall Google is going to require apps that are updated to target 8.0 Oreo. That doesn't mean that they can't support a minimum API level that would accommodate much older devices, but it does mean it can get more difficult to support older versions.

Basically, think of it this way. An app that was targeted for 4.4 can keep doing things the 4.4 way even if the behavior was charged in later Android versions. That itself isn't changing. However if that app gets updated after Nov 1st, it will have to switch to the Oreo way of doing certain functionality on a device that supports Oreo (or, say, the 6.0 way of doing something if that hasn't changed between 6.0 and 8.0.)

At that point, the dev might be faced with supporting two different versions of the same functionality within the same app which can get costly. I'm not really sure if that will be the case with the Awful app, but it's something to be aware of when shopping for cheap devices on ancient Android versions.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I hate how unless you get a flagship device every couple years, you're stuck with old versions. My HTC A9 is only 2 years old and it's on 6.0

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Android has this thing called the Support Library that basically backports new stuff to older API versions. That's why most apps have the Material Design look even on old devices that natively use the Holo theme - good people at Android have worked to take things that ship in OS updates and make them available to everyone in software.

And they even have these Compat versions of features that work out if the device has the stuff built-in, or if it needs to use the support library version (which may have compromises). So a lot of the time, the developer doesn't even need to worry about checking for different API versions - you just use the Compat thing and it'll handle it for you. They take a lot of the pain out of the fragmentation issue

So yeah, it's probably not gonna matter too much. Awful has always targetted the latest API version, but the minimum version has to go up sometimes. And the Support Library cuts out support for older versions over time too (like they dumped pre-ICS recently). The reason the target version matters is that there are a lot of improvements and security features in newer versions of Android, but if you target a lower version, you don't have to handle them because they don't exist. Requiring people to target Oreo means forcing them to handle features on a device that has them, so you get a consistent experience

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The min sdk is at 21 right now (lollipop, 5.0). Depending on how the store page is set up (only sereri/baka know), old versions will still exist and be accessable all the way back to... whatever. But it'll be an old version and you'll miss out on any new development.

But really, if your hardware is running an OS that hasn't been updated in 4 years you desperately need something new.

KillHour posted:

I hate how unless you get a flagship device every couple years, you're stuck with old versions. My HTC A9 is only 2 years old and it's on 6.0

That is changing (slowly). A new system called Treble was debuted last year that drastically reduces the time and effort required for updating an OS on a device, and based on results this year it is starting to work. So the next time you buy a device, there's a significantly higher chance that you will get timely updates for a longer period. Still, software support should be a big part of your purchasing decision - if people pass on devices for not updating then carriers/manufacturers will start to put more money into making sure it happens.

bull3964 posted:

This fall Google is going to require apps that are updated to target 8.0 Oreo. That doesn't mean that they can't support a minimum API level that would accommodate much older devices, but it does mean it can get more difficult to support older versions.

Basically, think of it this way. An app that was targeted for 4.4 can keep doing things the 4.4 way even if the behavior was charged in later Android versions. That itself isn't changing. However if that app gets updated after Nov 1st, it will have to switch to the Oreo way of doing certain functionality on a device that supports Oreo (or, say, the 6.0 way of doing something if that hasn't changed between 6.0 and 8.0.)

At that point, the dev might be faced with supporting two different versions of the same functionality within the same app which can get costly. I'm not really sure if that will be the case with the Awful app, but it's something to be aware of when shopping for cheap devices on ancient Android versions.

That's not really true. It won't be any harder to support older versions than it is now, but now apps will be *required* to support functionality of newer versions of Android when applicable. For example, right now an app (like facebook) can target 21 and avoid handling granular permissions, so people can just accept literally all the permissions with one click. Come august, they will be forced to target 27. That means they will be unable to avoid handling granular permissions on devices at API 23 or greater - however devices that are lower than 23 will still work the way they always have - supporting them will not require changing anything.

Also, as baka kaba said, a big chunk of new functionality is backported via the support libraries so most of the time you can get new functionality on old versions of Android without doing custom handling. There are just a handful of exceptions with bigger features or system-level architecting - granular permissions being the most prominent example.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My company bought my phone and they won't buy a new one. :sigh:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

KillHour posted:

My company bought my phone and they won't buy a new one. :sigh:

Accidents happen.

Don't do this.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Taffer posted:

That is changing (slowly). A new system called Treble was debuted last year that drastically reduces the time and effort required for updating an OS on a device, and based on results this year it is starting to work. So the next time you buy a device, there's a significantly higher chance that you will get timely updates for a longer period. Still, software support should be a big part of your purchasing decision - if people pass on devices for not updating then carriers/manufacturers will start to put more money into making sure it happens.

Average users dgaf about software updates as long as Facebook, Angry Birds, and whatever app they're using to find someone to smash are still working. So no, carriers and manufacturers won't lift a finger.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Accidents happen.

Don't do this.

It actually broke once (stuck in a boot loop) while I was out of town and needed it for a customer. I poo poo you not, my CFO told me to buy one myself out of pocket. When I told him that wasn't happening, he had me expense a literal $30 phone to get through the day. I ended up fixing the phone by reflashing it from the bootloader that night in my hotel room.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

KillHour posted:

It actually broke once (stuck in a boot loop) while I was out of town and needed it for a customer. I poo poo you not, my CFO told me to buy one myself out of pocket. When I told him that wasn't happening, he had me expense a literal $30 phone to get through the day. I ended up fixing the phone by reflashing it from the bootloader that night in my hotel room.

Quit your job.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Quit your job.

Come to the business travel thread to see the full extent of my Stockholm Syndrome. Nobody else will match their salary though. :(

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

KillHour posted:

Yikes

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

KillHour posted:

Come to the business travel thread to see the full extent of my Stockholm Syndrome. Nobody else will match their salary though. :(

If the salary's so great then buy yourself a new phone.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LastInLine posted:

If the salary's so great then buy yourself a new phone.

I had one, actually - an LG V10. It totally bricked itself to the point where I couldn't even get into recovery. I could get into the qualcomm qdloader sometimes via USB, but it wouldn't let me push anything to it. After that, I decided having 2 phones was stupid.

And it's not that great a salary. Buffalo just doesn't pay much.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don't buy Literal Garbage phones

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

If you don't have at least lollipop smh

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Hey! I've been using this truly awful app for years and I appreciate the work that's been done.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

SpaceAceJase posted:

Hey! I've been using this truly awful app for years and I appreciate the work that's been done.

:yeah:

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

SpaceAceJase posted:

:same:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I asked for timestamps on Search results and I got them. You have set expectations too high for this forum. Namaste.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

The code block scrolling bug is slain! You guys are the best!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The imgur upload feature is really useful since imgur's made mobile browsing and uploading without using their stupid loving app more and more inconvenient over the years.