Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I like the grab them and shoot them in the head moves you are doing. I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

mashed_penguin posted:

I like the grab them and shoot them in the head moves you are doing. I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

I'm glad to see that's a viable strategy outside of Robo Recall!

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
TheWave VR just released globally, so if you're outside the US and haven't had a chance to check it out...

It's a pretty cool experience.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
H3VR posted a new devlog, he finally got his hands on a FAL and that'll definitely come in with a future update. Yipee!

IronMcHardSteel
Mar 29, 2010
Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

BoxVR can take any song from youtube and generate a reasonably good beatmap from it

How do you use youtube in BoxVR?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Taintrunner posted:

H3VR posted a new devlog, he finally got his hands on a FAL and that'll definitely come in with a future update. Yipee!

I'm envious

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

IronMcHardSteel posted:

How do you use youtube in BoxVR?

He mans you yank an mp3 from it using youtubemp3 or whatever. It just uses your music.

Unless there some mod or something?

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Is Moss worth the price tag? It looks fun and adorable, but I need someone to confirm that it's $30 worth of game play, or if I should wait for a sale.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Someone asked if anyone besides Oculus is funding AAA vr content at the moment. As far as I know the answer is no except Valve are in theory making three VR games.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm really looking forward to e3 this year (aside from the usual round of big-hype titles and surprises), because we're just getting out the first year since the Vive and Oculus really got released. If you've had a look at any console that wasn't the Nintendo Switch for the past decade or two, now's the time we should start seeing a decent quantity of titles from the big developers.
Does Oculus present at E3? They just announced the dates for OC5, I would expect them to make a bunch more content announcements then. edit: lol it's E3 next week and Oculus just made a big game announcement for it, I'm an idiot

Tom Guycot posted:

You know, I wonder if revive will even be necessary. It's not coming out until 2019, openXR is coming out this year, and oculus have said they want to move to openXR as the main sdk, with OVR being legacy support. I don't know if they're too far along in development, or if it will be easy to switch over, but it seems there a good chance it will be running openXR.

If thats the case even though its only sold on the oculus store it should run on anything that supports openXR. Even if they went out of their way to put in a headset ID check, theres no reason to think that won't be easily bypassed by spoofing the ID, like it has been with the stuff on steam that had a vive ID check. I'm not even convinced they would bother putting in an ID check, knowing how easy it would be to bypass while generating PR flak. I think the most realistic scenario, if it does indeed launch as an openXR game, is that its just simply made for the oculus touch controls, and might not map well to the vive wands (though openXR is supposed to have control mapping but who knows how it will work exactly.)

All pure speculation, but I guess we'll get more hints at the future when openXR finally drops
I afraid you are likely to be disappointed with OpenXR, if my understanding of what they're actually doing is correct. Go check out their GDC 2018 update: https://youtu.be/U-CpA5d9MjI

There were a bunch of reddit threads about it after that talk and basically it's looking like it'll just be another layer on top of the manufacturer's chosen SDKs. So no big leap as far as exclusivity goes... unless you've got a source for Oculus saying they are hoping to replace their entire SDK with it?? That seems incredibly unlikely given the amount they've invested in OVRs development.

Anyhow, at the moment they are at least actively working to make sure they don't break ReVive with their platform updates, so anyone who has PCVR but hasn't checked out the Oculus games yet is just being mental at this stage (beyond those who have ethical objections to giving money to Facebook, I guess). Even if they did totally cut off support for other headsets down the road, if we're talking about current VR single player games it's not like they're likely to have fantastic replay value (maybe Lone Echo, but apart from that...)

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 9, 2018

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

El Grillo posted:

Someone asked if anyone besides Oculus is funding AAA vr content at the moment. As far as I know the answer is no except Valve are in theory making three VR games.

There's Sony, though obviously that's through exclusivity deals too. Sony's exclusivity tends to just be timed, for what that's worth; I don't know if there's any information out on whether Oculus store exclusivity deals are timed or permanent.

El Grillo posted:

There were a bunch of reddit threads about it after that talk and basically it's looking like it'll just be another layer on top of the manufacturer's chosen SDKs. So no big leap as far as exclusivity goes... unless you've got a source for Oculus saying they are hoping to replace their entire SDK with it?? That seems incredibly unlikely given the amount they've invested in OVRs development.

The real question would be whether they would change their store guidelines to allow games to use OpenXR, or whether they would still require those games to use their own OVR SDK. Their current guidelines don't allow games to support other headsets even when that support wouldn't affect the Rift experience at all, so I'm not hopeful.

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Is Moss worth the price tag? It looks fun and adorable, but I need someone to confirm that it's $30 worth of game play, or if I should wait for a sale.

It's fun but nowhere near the $30 price tag for the experience. If it were $14.99 it would have been a lot more reasonable. It's good, but nowhere near $30 good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Some of the new DLC weapons in Sairento are fuuuuun. Twirling dual Kusarigama (sickle-chains) like ribbons of death is a real nice workout, and they can just cleave things like you wouldn't believe if you can get the hang of swinging it properly :gibs:.

The Kigiri is a clawed gauntlet that basically let you be Wolverine. Except you can also shoot your claws off at enemies, with unlimited ammo.

The Slugger SMG is kinda :nallears: though.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Game recommendation, if we're still doing that: Conductor.
A good, cheap first person puzzler where you drive a train through a night time landscape, solving puzzles in order to remove obstacles blocking your path and discovering the narrative largely from environmental queues and media found along the way. Atmospheric and surprisingly well-designed.

NRVNQSR posted:

There's Sony, though obviously that's through exclusivity deals too. Sony's exclusivity tends to just be timed, for what that's worth; I don't know if there's any information out on whether Oculus store exclusivity deals are timed or permanent.
Fair, I guess I was considering PCVR but as you point out, there is cross-pollination at least from PSVR to PCVR.

NRVNQSR posted:

The real question would be whether they would change their store guidelines to allow games to use OpenXR, or whether they would still require those games to use their own OVR SDK. Their current guidelines don't allow games to support other headsets even when that support wouldn't affect the Rift experience at all, so I'm not hopeful.
As best as I can tell, Oculus's apparent justification/logic for currently not supporting other HMDs is that they'd have no control over the quality of the experience on those, and they (a) don't want to promote 'sub-standard' VR as they know it can put people off the whole medium and (b) don't want to have to deal with support issues for people using their platform on other HMDs with their 'sub-standard' SDKs.
So I guess if OpenXR somehow included or enforced the inclusion of all the important reliability/performance and other features of the OVR SDK (e.g. ASW, ATW, etc), to a quality that was the same standard as the implementations in OVR, and if the fact that OpenXR will run as an extra layer on top of the other manufacturers' SDK didn't have a negative effect on performance etc., then it might make sense (within the terms of Oculus's justification/logic as above) for Oculus to open support for other devices using OpenXR.

...in other words, unless I'm totally wrong about how OpenXR is going to work (very possible), I don't see why Oculus would open up their platform because of it. Then again, they may (hopefully, will) change their policy and thus do so. or just do it anyway. Here's hoping!

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Some of the new DLC weapons in Sairento are fuuuuun. Twirling dual Kusarigama (sickle-chains) like ribbons of death is a real nice workout, and they can just cleave things like you wouldn't believe if you can get the hang of swinging it properly :gibs:.

The Kigiri is a clawed gauntlet that basically let you be Wolverine. Except you can also shoot your claws off at enemies, with unlimited ammo.

The Slugger SMG is kinda :nallears: though.

I think the slugger is pretty good actually. It absolutely requires a quantum scope relic and preferably also a sukukichi headband though. It has a big, bright obvious and relatively slow shots that are easy to lead into headshots and it's "magazine" lasts for quite a few kills if you keep firing single shots and make sure that you're getting headshots.

I've gotten my longest killstreaks with the sluggers by chaining quantum scope sukukichi acceleration headshots until everyone in the room was dead and both sluggers overheated. I think my best was clearing an entire purge/gauntlet room start to finish in a single 13 kill killstreak. Sure you can do the same with any of the other pistols, SMG or rifles, but they tend to run out of ammo fast, and being forced to reload in the middle of a killstreak is a good way to have it time out before you're done. Also you can't dual wield the non-burst assault rifle, which has the longest lasting magazine of the remaining options and is probably the second best weapon to use for that trick.

The infinitely recharging "magazine" also means that you can use a quantum scoped slugger as a secondary "chakra" pool for acceleration purposes, even if you're not going for extra long killstreaks. If you keep alternating between occasional quantum scope headshot, normally triggering acceleration and pick all the chakra recovery skills, you can basically keep yourself in constant acceleration mode, without taking the health penalty of the super hot knockoff headband relic.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
dang, Rec Room BR is incredibly fun

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

The Walrus posted:

dang, Rec Room BR is incredibly fun

I'm having a lot of trouble with what I assume is hit detection. I got the Laser Cannon and managed to completely miss some guy, yet it still instantly killed them like a second and a half after the projectile passed them. They shouted over the mic, "What?! NO WAY!" and I responded "How the hell did that kill you?" Another time I had a blue full auto rifle, managed to hit someone no poo poo 30 times and they just didn't die, it was absurd. Another game, I had a purple shotgun and full health + full shields, I was peeking and poking some guy with a green three-shot pistol thing, and they took two point blank shotgun blasts plus ~5 hits from two bursts of the 5-shot-burst rifle and I was dead from three of their pistol bursts.

It was still fun but after that last one I was just off it. There's not a whole lot of information on the game mechanics that I can find so I dunno if I'm just not quite hitting the right part of the enemy players or what.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

JazzFlight posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ak2h3PkY1I

Stormland announced for Oculus in 2019 by Insomniac Games.
This looks very rad. Insomniac have been consistently solid devs in my experience, especially when it comes to story and worldbuilding stuff.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Kodilynn posted:

It's fun but nowhere near the $30 price tag for the experience. If it were $14.99 it would have been a lot more reasonable. It's good, but nowhere near $30 good.

Thanks, that's what I figured. I'll wait for the next big sale week.

El Grillo posted:

As far as I know the answer is no except Valve are in theory making three VR games.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

El Grillo posted:

This looks very rad. Insomniac have been consistently solid devs in my experience, especially when it comes to story and worldbuilding stuff.

How many VR games with "land" in the title does this make?

Stormland
Farlands
Marble Land
DreamLand
Windlands
Pale Lands
Landfall
Xing: The Land Beyond

Did I miss any?

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Zero VGS posted:

How many VR games with "land" in the title does this make?

Stormland
Farlands
Marble Land
DreamLand
Windlands
Pale Lands
Landfall
Xing: The Land Beyond

Did I miss any?

Don't forget Anyland!

I wish I could forget Anyland

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Baron von der Loon posted:

People are recommending games? In that case, I'd go for Red Stare.

You play an agent in the 60s and have to observe an apartment to find out who the Russian agents. You get objectives from your boss, have to take picture from people and fax them. In the mean time, the room you're in has all sorts of fun little environment things to draw you in, but also help you. I really enjoyed placing photos on a blackboard, circling them with chalk and connecting them with each other. It's a fun detective-like game.

Also noteworthy: it's free.

Just wanted to thank you for this recommendation, it was quite a fun way to spend an afternoon. I smoked a lot of cigarettes and caught some drat Commie agents :patriot:. The second mission is a lot simpler and shorter than the first, but they were still quite varied in what you're investigating to give it some measure of depth.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Nice deal for anyone lurking, looking to get into vr, until the 16th you get $75 of store credit with the purchase of a Rift through their website. Effectively bringing the price down to $325, a pretty good deal.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

So Rec Room Royale is out now? I will have to check it out to see how it compares to Stand Out. I imagine it is more cartoony like Fortnite

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Tom Guycot posted:

Nice deal for anyone lurking, looking to get into vr, until the 16th you get $75 of store credit with the purchase of a Rift through their website. Effectively bringing the price down to $325, a pretty good deal.

Well dang, I just got one from Amazon the other day. Ah well.

I'm gonna hold onto the Lenovo Explorer and give it to my dad with a new gaming PC so he can try VR racing, once video card prices are normal again.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Shine posted:

I'm gonna hold onto the Lenovo Explorer and give it to my dad with a new gaming PC so he can try VR racing, once video card prices are normal again.

They are normal again.

Why’s everyone keep saying this? 1080s are 500 again. Everything else is also back to the same.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

They are normal again.

Why’s everyone keep saying this? 1080s are 500 again. Everything else is also back to the same.

The video card I bought for $225 two years ago is listed for 400 on Newegg right now. That's why people keep saying this.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

iceaim posted:

So Rec Room Royale is out now? I will have to check it out to see how it compares to Stand Out. I imagine it is more cartoony like Fortnite

it is, and the TTK is much higher than stand out, but it's a much more fun game than that is imo. wait times are tiny, the mechanics work, the hit detection is great, it is really just a very good game. I just had an amazing moment when I in one motion grabbed and drank a shield potion that had popped out of a chest, before turning and shotgunning the guy that I had just realized was sneaking up on me.

most fun I've had in VR in a while.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Shine posted:

Depending on how long ago you got it, you could check with amazon because from oculus' website:

quote:

Several of our authorized retailers have similar promotions to celebrate the season, including Amazon, Best Buy, Micro Center, Newegg, and Microsoft Store in the US. Details and availability vary, so check with your local store for the most up-to-date information.

So it sounds like they have some deal as well (probably an amazon gift card). Might be able to sweet talk them or something.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Shine posted:

The video card I bought for $225 two years ago is listed for 400 on Newegg right now. That's why people keep saying this.

Is it a card that it still being sold? When cards aren't made anymore, the price goes up even if worse than new cards.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cojawfee posted:

Is it a card that it still being sold? When cards aren't made anymore, the price goes up even if worse than new cards.

The prices on the higher end have gone down back to normal but the low end (1050 and 1060 range) haven’t.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Shine posted:

Really? Must be something no longer made, or some weirdo 1060 model. Either way, edge case. And this is the VR thread fam. Who is shopping 1060s right now? Not sane people, thats who. And even they can get one for 220ish.

GutBomb posted:

The prices on the higher end have gone down back to normal but the low end (1050 and 1060 range) haven’t.

Point still stands. Cards are "normal" again. 1060s are 220ish on Newegg. No idea what the gently caress people are whining about. Whine about the 11XX preorder prices, That makes sense at least. :v:

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 10, 2018

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

Really? Must be something no longer made, or some weirdo 1060 model. Either way, edge case. And this is the VR thread fam. Who is shopping 1060s right now? Not sane people, thats who. And even they can get one for 220ish.

Point still stands. Cards are "normal" again. 1060s are 220ish on Newegg. No idea what the gently caress people are whining about. Whine about the 11XX preorder prices, That makes sense at least. :v:

Can I get a substantially better card than my two-year-old RX480 for about 250 dollars?

If not, then no, things aren't normal yet.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shine posted:

Can I get a substantially better card than my two-year-old RX480 for about 250 dollars?

Mid 2000s technology cycle is not "normal"

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Shine posted:

11-15% faster on a 1060 that’s 200 dollars ish. (keep in mind thats just synthetic benchmark testing, Real world would actually be better, more so in VR)

It’s also newer tech and nvidia is better at VR.

It’s about normal dude. And that’s a SOLID upgrade from your card.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 10, 2018

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Catch and Release is fun. I’ve never fished in real life before so I don’t know how realistic it is but I just lost a couple hours in there and didn’t realize how long I’d been in there until I quit.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

6GB 1060s are still in the $300+ range. I mean, I don't even know what MSRP is supposed to be in the first place, but don't give him bad info. The 3GB model is a little less than that, but I got scolded by multiple people in the PC Building thread when I suggested buying it for my latest media PC, even when I said I planned to replace it once the new Geforces come out.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

11-15% faster on a 1060 that’s 200 dollars ish. (keep in mind thats just synthetic benchmark testing, Real world would actually be better, more so in VR)

It’s also newer tech and nvidia is better at VR.

It’s about normal dude. And that’s a SOLID upgrade from your card.

When I upgraded my GTX 560 to a similarly priced GTX 760 a couple years later, that was a solid upgrade. Changing to a $220 1060 3GB from a RX480 8GB (also $220, when I bought it) appears to be a sidegrade. There's a bigger difference if I look at the 6GB 1060, but then we're comparing a card that I'm seeing at Amazon and Fry's for $300 today against a card that was $220 a couple years ago, and the difference is still not what I'd expect for spending an additional $80 two years later.

For reference, someone who bought a GTX 760 for ~$250, and then two years later spent budgeted ~$330 for an upgrade, would have gotten a GTX 970, which blew the 760 out of the water. Or they may have waited another year and gotten a basic 1060, which would also be a massive upgrade from a 760.

Maybe we've hit a technological/supply/whatever-the-gently caress-else wall and video card progress is gonna be slow going forward, and it's no longer the case that spending X dollars 2-3 years later should get you a decent boost (like from the 560 to the 760, and then the 760 to the 1060). Even if that's the new "normal," if you think that paying the same price two years later for basically a sidegrade is "solid," then I strongly disagree.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Phenotype posted:

6GB 1060s are still in the $300+ range. I mean, I don't even know what MSRP is supposed to be in the first place, but don't give him bad info. The 3GB model is a little less than that, but I got scolded by multiple people in the PC Building thread when I suggested buying it for my latest media PC, even when I said I planned to replace it once the new Geforces come out.

people scolding you for the 3gb are morons. you don't need 6gb of VRAM for pretty much anything unless you want to max texture quality.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Isn't the 3GB version actually less powerful than the 6GB, in terms of hardware resources on the GPU itself? It has fewer cuda cores, iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There are Prey and Wolfenstein VR games coming at some point.