Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

:swoon:

Fuckin' awesome, dude!!

Glad I could help!

Edit: considering the new page, here’s Bob writing the word Bij:

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Awesome! I met J.G Hertzler (twice, actually) and I hear they're buddies so we should get them ALL TOGETHER

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Brawnfire posted:

Awesome! I met J.G Hertzler (twice, actually) and I hear they're buddies so we should get them ALL TOGETHER

They’re a family, Trek actors. Said some really cool stuff, like “Sometimes Shatner forgets he knows me, but he does.” Talked about how he and J.G. hang out, confirmed. Had some really flattering things to say about Rene Auberjonois’ physical performance capability, too. He told me I really need to come out to Vegas for a convention.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

DrNutt posted:

Does anyone here know why they felt the need to jazz up the Klingons in both JJTrek and STD? Did the Motion Picture just set a precedent? Anytime Trek is revived the Klingons have to look different?

I don't really think the Klingons in JJ Trek looked all that different. It was the same basic idea, they just ditched the hair and added some piercings (which I thought worked). A little more intricacy in the makeup. It didn't strike me as a major redesign, just some tweaking so as to fit in with the new aesthetic and reflect the film's budget.

Discovery, who knows?

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 11, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I don't really think the Klingons in JJ Trek looked all that different. It was the same basic idea, they just ditched the hair and added some piercings (which I thought worked). A little more intricacy in the makeup. It didn't strike me as a major redesign, just some tweaking so as to fit in with the new aesthetic and reflect the film's budget.

Discovery, who knows?

I think taking away the glorious manes of the Klingons is pretty bad either way. Just look at Worf over the years. From Prince Valiant to Lara Croft, Worf had got it going on.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Are you saying Plummer as a bald Klingon wasn't incredibly badass?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Plummer also insisted on having "less severe" Klingon makeup because he didn't want to sit in the makeup chair for a couple of hours every morning.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I always felt that character was old as gently caress and appropriately bald

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Timby posted:

Plummer also insisted on having "less severe" Klingon makeup because he didn't want to sit in the makeup chair for a couple of hours every morning.

I read it was a creative decision to humanize them more for the allegorical plot. In either case I think it was a good move for that movie.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching The Squire Gothos. Gotta say, that's a silly title

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Sulu blinking his eyes like he had space madness then his entire body blinked. Forever

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's pretty rich that Odo rags on torturing a prisoner (himself) when sometimes he just let innocent people get executed because he was lazy

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Darn I was hoping the planet was going to be an artificial structure but it just has really bad weather

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I can tell from the blackletter message on the monitor that this is gonna be stupid

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Unfortunate thing about HD is I saw frozen Kirk and Sulu blink

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I like the alien being excited about war and Kirk says "when we do battle it is only because we have no choice"

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Godlike Alien Dick

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The got the perfect actor for him

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This bitch is Q-ing it up

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

:stonk:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I read it was a creative decision to humanize them more for the allegorical plot. In either case I think it was a good move for that movie.

Nick Meyer is quoted in both Star Trek Movie Memories and his own book, A View from the Bridge, as saying that it was Plummer's request (Warner and the other Klingons had the standard TNG makeup). Granted, A View from the Bridge has a ton of stuff that Meyer either mis-remembered or flat-out lied about, but the Plummer thing seems fairly well-established, considering that he was saying that as far back as '94, when Movie Memories came out.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Hahaha Kirk loving challenged him to a duel with a gloveslap

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This is getting good

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Chasing them with an entire planet

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

He really IS being Q

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Such a good twist

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The name made me think that episode was going to be one of the ridiculous ones, not one of the good ones

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Did you skip Shore Leave and Galileo Seven? Because those are pretty good episodes, imo.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The got the perfect actor for him

Truly.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The name made me think that episode was going to be one of the ridiculous ones, not one of the good ones

Most of them are good, and a fair number of them are ridiculous, so there's some overlap.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

He was indeed, but he wouldn't stand out among the many grumpy rough pates of the STD Klingons. Well, except that he had rad facial hair. I didn't see any of that in Discovery either. Except for Mirror Sarek's goatee.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jeb!, you have like 2,000 more posts than any other poster in this thread. Shut up, for heaven's sake.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Plummer absolutely made the best of a bad script. It's remarkable how little he's in the movie (I think he has two short scenes between the attack on Kronos One and the actual Battle of Khitomer, and that's just him spouting Shakespeare quotes) but he makes the most of it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Timby posted:

Jeb!, you have like 2,000 more posts than any other poster in this thread. Shut up, for heaven's sake.

Plummer absolutely made the best of a bad script. It's remarkable how little he's in the movie (I think he has two short scenes between the attack on Kronos One and the actual Battle of Khitomer, and that's just him spouting Shakespeare quotes) but he makes the most of it.

Well double-dumbass on you!!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DrNutt posted:

So uh. I got a free week of All Access and finally got around to watching STD. Although I'm personally finding it not terrible, it feels like it's made by people who wanted to make a prestige Star Trek series without understanding "prestige" tv or what people like about Star Trek.

Also I find it hilarious that they redesigned the poo poo out of the Klingons but decided that Vulcans, Tellarites, and Andorians were fine the way they are. The mirror stuff is better than anything else on the show yet but I've got four episodes left.

It's not so terrible that it couldn't be salvaged come season 2 but if the writing and production staff remains largely the same I won't be holding my breath.

Does anyone here know why they felt the need to jazz up the Klingons in both JJTrek and STD? Did the Motion Picture just set a precedent? Anytime Trek is revived the Klingons have to look different?
They actually did redesign the Tellarites. On Enterprise they looked somewhat more like the TOS version from Journey to Babel, but with better makeup. On DISCO they look like orcs almost.

I really want to know who it was working on DISCO that felt that the Andorians needed to look exactly the same as on ENT but they all have incredibly deep voices now?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Finished up STD and thought it ended a lot better than it started. The Enterprise showing up is definitely some pandering but it was loving gorgeous. It would be pretty neat to see a season of the Discovery and Enterprise crews working together on some weird space missions, and I wouldn't even be upset if a young science officer Spock showed up. Though I'll be honest I sort of wish that we were getting the Robert April Enterprise rather than the Chris Pike one because we already have a couple of good Pikes in the Trek verse.

I read a book once about a young Kirk going on a space adventure with his dad on April's Enterprise and thought it was kind of neat but I was like ten or something so it might have actually been terrible, but it's sort of stuck with me ever since. I like the idea of the Enterprise having a fairly storied history before Kirk came along.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DrNutt posted:

Finished up STD and thought it ended a lot better than it started. The Enterprise showing up is definitely some pandering but it was loving gorgeous. It would be pretty neat to see a season of the Discovery and Enterprise crews working together on some weird space missions, and I wouldn't even be upset if a young science officer Spock showed up. Though I'll be honest I sort of wish that we were getting the Robert April Enterprise rather than the Chris Pike one because we already have a couple of good Pikes in the Trek verse.

I read a book once about a young Kirk going on a space adventure with his dad on April's Enterprise and thought it was kind of neat but I was like ten or something so it might have actually been terrible, but it's sort of stuck with me ever since. I like the idea of the Enterprise having a fairly storied history before Kirk came along.
At least they did reference Robert April among that list of 'exceptional Starfleet captains' along with Pike, Archer, and Will Decker

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

FlamingLiberal posted:

They actually did redesign the Tellarites. On Enterprise they looked somewhat more like the TOS version from Journey to Babel, but with better makeup. On DISCO they look like orcs almost.

I really want to know who it was working on DISCO that felt that the Andorians needed to look exactly the same as on ENT but they all have incredibly deep voices now?

I didn't think the difference was that terribly extreme but the Andorian thing was weird. loving hell just throw Jeffrey Combs back in the makeup and have him be Shran's grandkid or something.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

FlamingLiberal posted:

At least they did reference Robert April among that list of 'exceptional Starfleet captains' along with Pike, Archer, and Will Decker

Oh good eye, I noticed the others but missed that somehow.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pick posted:

It's pretty rich that Odo rags on torturing a prisoner (himself) when sometimes he just let innocent people get executed because he was lazy

You do that one time and everyone will always bring it up.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Timby posted:

I like Jeb!'s posts. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pakled posted:

I like Jeb!'s posts. :colbert:

:agreed:

I'll like them even more once he finally gets around to watching DS9 :twisted: